Tennis

Guest KirstyEkua

he is the first real prospect of actually winning a men’s Grand Slam in Open era tennis I believe.

I would argue that Henman and Rusedski got there before him there IMO.

Well neither of those two players actually won anything although admittedly Rusedski did get to the US open final several years ago. And strictly speaking Rusedski is Canadian. Don’t get me wrong because I actually really liked Tim Henman and thought that him not winning Wimbledon was mainly due to bad luck (obviously playing around the same time that Sampras peaked and the rain delay causing disruption during his semi final against Ivanesavic where he was in command). I thought he was a good very natural serve/volley type player which was ideal for grass. Something this game desperately needs and is lacking at this present time.

• Replies 42
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Dinara Safina and Serena Williams. Now that was dissapointing, even though I'm a die hard Dinara fan, I knew going in that she probably wouldn't be able to defeat Serena, but I thought that she might have been able to perform a bit better. But, we must discount that fact that she got to the final, adding another grand slam final to her achievements, and she is only a 22 year old girl. She has a long career ahead of her.

I thougt that the mens final was some of the best tennis I've ever seen. But even more than that, the sportsmanship displayed my Nadal afterwood, holding the trophy briefly and then hugging Federer was amazing. It made me like Nadal even the tinniest bit (because it's no secret that I don't like him one bit) I was balling my eyes out when Federer just broke down. But I think the fact that he has the ability to share his emotions with all those people, it's amazing.

Anyway Eli, I love tennis all over. I do play, I have coaching once a week and am in the bottom team at school. My whole life I've struggled with being un-co, klutzy and having terrible hand eye co-ordination. But something (I think it was needing more extra curriculars at school) made me take up tennis. At first I sucked, but now I suck less. I"m so glad that I did it because my ball skills have imrpoved immensley, and as long as you enjoy it, it doesn't matter if you win or loose.

Don’t get me wrong because I actually really liked Tim Henman and thought that him not winning Wimbledon was mainly due to bad luck (obviously playing around the same time that Sampras peaked and the rain delay causing disruption during his semi final against Ivanesavic where he was in command).

I agree. If rain hadn't delayed that semi-final, i firmly believe he would have beat Ivanesavic and then Rafter in the final. I think he was very unlucky at times and the media were very hard on him. Henman had a fantastic career. He was as high as No.4 in the world, made the semi finals of 3 of out of the 4 majors (and was amazingly consistent at Wimbledon) won a Masters series....

I can't stand Murray. His behaviour on court is disgusting. Swearing so much the commentators have to apologise for him...he's arrogant and ugh, sorry. He's talanted no doubt but he doesn't have the personality to be a champion.

The final today was incredible. Nadal and Federer are a class above everyone else. Some of their shot making today was extraordinary. It was so emotional. I was close to tears for Federer and thought Nadal was simply lovely afterwards. Federer is one of the best tennis player in history and i think he'll break the Sampras record for 14 grand slams.

he is the first real prospect of actually winning a men’s Grand Slam in Open era tennis I believe.

I would argue that Henman and Rusedski got there before him there IMO.

Well neither of those two players actually won anything although admittedly Rusedski did get to the US open final several years ago. And strictly speaking Rusedski is Canadian. Don’t get me wrong because I actually really liked Tim Henman and thought that him not winning Wimbledon was mainly due to bad luck (obviously playing around the same time that Sampras peaked and the rain delay causing disruption during his semi final against Ivanesavic where he was in command). I thought he was a good very natural serve/volley type player which was ideal for grass. Something this game desperately needs and is lacking at this present time.

Yeah, but the post said he is the first real prospect of winning a men's Grand Slam and whilst admittedly Rusedski was only at the top of the world for about two years and Henman was always more likely to win Wimbledon than anywhere else, I would just argue that Murray is the third real prospect of a men's Grand Slam, certainly at least the second.

• 11 months later...

I am sorry for Andy Murray, but i am happy that Federer won. Roger played better tonight.

I just hope that the Media will leave Andy alone and not always put so much pressure on him. I felt bad when Murray said sorry to the people in UK. It is not fair that someone who just plays for himself and who does a job which he loves has to feel the pressure from everyone in Britain. Only because he is one of the best doesn't mean that he owes Britain anything. And feels like he let us down. I find that very unfair.

Since i come from Basel too and love the style which Roger plays, I am over the moon with the result.

I don't like Murray...however I don't like Federer anymore, either - I think he's got a bit smug. That ungracious victory speech after last years Wimbledon final was the final straw, for me.

I hope Nadal gets back into form and that Del Potro can kick on from winning the US Open.

Not happy about this. Not happy at all. I thought it was a pretty much a forgone conclusion who the winner would be. I know Murray has beaten Federer several times before but I don’t think he’s beaten him in a Grand Slam - Certainly not a final. I don’t like Federer and still haven’t forgiven him for his display last year at the Australian Open when Nadal outclassed him. Nadal beaten him it was Nadal’s first time at winning the Australian Open but rather than letting him savour the moment and have his victory Federer had to start crying and make it ALL about him. If it wasn’t for injury Nadal would still be at the top. When he was at his peak Nadal owned Federer!

Anyway objectively speaking it was obvious Murray was starting to struggle when he had to pull out some really good shots just to keep his own serve. That’s the kind of pressure he was under. Also I thought Federer’s fitness level was excellent as always. There were some shots that Murry couldn’t make simply because he had been rallying for about half a minute or so and you just know if it had been Federer he would have won the point. When they reached the tie-break Murray was panting after virtually every point where as Federer (although he was sweating) looked quite fresh. Even if Murray had won that set Federer would have ran away with the next and looked like he could of played for another two maybe three more sets easily.

It’s been a bad weekend all round with Henin losing to Serena Williams. On the plus side I’m really glad she’s decided to follow in the footsteps of her fellow countryman (sorry woman) and return back to the game. She has such a beautiful backhand. I’m really looking forward to seeing her in the French open and possibly try and win the one title which evades her – Namely Wimbledon.

I love Federer. He is classy on and off the court and carries himself so well. He's incredible to watch and i hope he wins many more grandslams. Slade, apart from that one time you mentioned Federer has been nothing but gracious in defeat and i feel you're being quite harsh on him. He is probably one of the greatest tennis players ever. So many players cry when they lose and i don't think they can be judged for that.

But i also adore Nadal and was bitterly disappointed he withdrew from his quarter final. I can't stand Murray and find him pathetic and arrogant. His on court behaviour is appalling at times. I'll admit he is a fantastic tennis player - but that's not enough. I don't think i'll ever warm to him. His attitude stinks and his personality needs a serious change up. He's not exactly the most popular player on tour.

I still think Nadal and Federer are a class above the rest, and at their best they are unbeatable (by everyone apart from each other!).

The Wimbledon 2008 final was, in my opinion, one of the greatest men's tennis matches ever.

It's great to see Henin back and i was happy to see a competitive women's final. Her return (and Kim's also) has done wonders for the women's game and im excited about the rest of the tennis season.

Fair enough. I did use to admire Federer but I think what bothered me about that is the fact that he’d won so many Grand Slams previously and deprived so many other tennis players (Philippoussis, Roddick, etc) of winning but I don’t recall any of them acting like that. I also recall a while back Andy Murray beat him in a tournament and afterwards Federer made a remark about Murray not changing him game in years. I don’t particularly like Murray either TBH. I agree at times his attitude stinks. And it would no doubt increase exponentially when he does win his first Grand Slam (I’m sure it’s just going to be a matter of time). I really hope I’m wrong but I think Nadal’s injury could indicate a possible decline. I remember someone at work saying he’d watch the way Nadal ran around the court and thought in a few years he could have some really serious injury problems.

I also agree with you about the two Belgians. I think it’s reached the point where the Williams sisters are just so far in front of everybody else (light years it seems) including the Russian girls it feels like all the other female tennis players are effectively redundant. Sometimes I wonder if there’s any point in watching women’s tennis. I’m trying to think of the last Grand Slam final that didn’t have either Serena or Venus in it. And how many titles have they won between them? That’s why I’m glad Clijsters and Henin are back. They can hopefully tip the scale and restore parity.

Archived