Kane/Kirsty

Jen

I won’t bother trying to refute the point of Kirsty falling for Kane in the first place because most people have their thoughts on the subject and have decided which part of the fence they’re on and I don’t think anybody’s really going to change their minds about it.

Kane never hit Kirsty. He raised his hand and then he stopped himself. Yes he was going to but he didn’t. I too didn’t like the way he went up to Miles and basically put pressure on him to break up with her but it’s hardly unexpected. At the time when he told her to move on he wasn’t expecting to get out of jail anytime soon but he was released (however implausible that may be) and given another chance. What was he expected to do? He wanted his family back.

I hated the fact that he accused Dani of deliberately trying to run him down but in his defense I honestly believe he thought Dani tried to kill him. And who could blame her? Even if she had done it deliberately I still thought he should have dropped everything. However I still think she has to take some responsibility because she should never have been driving in the rain in the state she was. She was an emotional wreck and it was dangerous.

I don’t think Kane ever abused Kirsty either and at times she was shown to be just as manipulative as he was. Recall when she lied about being pregnant so that Rhys wouldn’t annul their marriage and then she went to the trouble of emotionally blackmailing her sister to lie for her and later on put her husband and family through the heartache of a miscarriage. Regarding Kane not showing any remorse I don’t think he did after the robbery but he certainly did after Dani made him realise what he did to her. That was what the writers were trying to show with the second mediation session.

Kane has done nothing good for her, except giving her cute little Ollie! Kane doesnt deserve Ollie, has Kane ever done anything good?

Well I seem to remember him carrying Kirsty to safety, giving her water and taking care of her in the Bush after the Mirigini sunk. He saved Shelly from a snake bite and almost died for his efforts. He dug with his bare hands to help some of the locals rescue Kirsty, Max, Rhys and Jade from the collapsed mine shaft. And finally he saved Noah and Max from the drop in centre when it burned down.

I take it you didn’t see any of those episodes?

Here here, to your entire post! Regarding Miles, like you said, he wanted his family back. He has a responsibility, as a father and as a husband. He wants his son to have a mother and a father. Also, Miles knew darn well that Kirsty was married. As far as Kane being abusive, you're right he has never even so much as said ONE WORD abusive towards Kirsty, and I was an avid watcher around then, and still have many of the episodes on tape. He never said one word out of line to Kirsty, except call her 'babe'. Kirsty manipulated Kane way back then, as you said with the pregnancy, and even allowed Shelley's fiance to file charges against him, even though she knew he didn't hit her and has never been a threat to her. Her whole yes I'll go with you Kane, no my family needs me, Dani needs me treatment of Kane was manipulative. Unfortunately, as much as I liked Kirsty, she was the one who wore the pants in that relationship and was the only manipulator.

"And finally he saved Noah and Max from the drop in centre when it burned down." That is one I forgot. See? Of course, people 'conveniently' forget all the good things he has done, in favour of one mistake. That annoys me as it is completely unfair. All the good Kane has done imo far outweighs any bad he has ever done.

Edited by Salem

• Replies 65
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Been keeping an eye on this one for a while without really voicing an opinion.I was always kind of on the fence with regards to KK, not hating them, not loving them, liking them well enough but unlikely to be particularly upset if they split up.Although it's a bit annoying that some(by no means all)KK fans seem to indulge in Dani-bashing at times in a "Blame the victim" sort of way as if she should have been happy about her sister marrying her rapist just because he said sorry afterwards.I think it says a lot for her that she did eventually accept and befriend him.It also says a lot about their relationship that Dani never once resented Kirsty for falling in love with Kane.(And indeed, that Kirsty never once said "You've got no right to treat him like that" because she knew she did.)

Anyway, enough about the whys and wherefores of Kirsty and Kane's past, onto their return.They'd changed.And I can understand why KK fans would be upset and want the "real" KK back but it's completely believable.I'm possibly the only person who didn't like Kirsty and Kane's exit because I couldn't see them being happy like that:It would have been better if Kane had cleared his name and then they'd left(especially given that it apparently wasn't that difficult...).And I'm kind of glad that the show has shown that it wasn't a good exit and they weren't happy.

Think about the previous time Kane and Kirsty ran away, back in 2004.Once she got over the initial romance of it, it only took a few days for Kirsty to realise that her and Kane against the world wasn't what she wanted, she wanted to be back with her family, open about what they were doing.So I can't help wondering that, having made the snap decision to go on the run with him, just how long it took her to regret that decision and realise it wasn't the life she wanted.Only then going back wasn't an option.When they reappeared last year, both of them were worn down by their years on the run, Kirsty in particular.They were willing to give up Ollie because they realised that the life they'd chosen wasn't right for him.And Kirsty seemed willing to do anything, including giving up Kane and going to jail, if it meant she and Ollie could have a normal life at the end of it.She would have been happier if Kane could have joined them but she was prepared to do it without him.Kane, meanwhile, had chosen to embrace his less desireable characteristics in order to survive.By that point, they may well have been together largely because they had no other option.

Wanting Kirsty and Kane back together or to stay together seems to be about nostalgia more than anything and I can understand that, we've all got our favourites couples from the show's past that we like to think lived happily ever after.But anyone who wasn't watching the show in 2005 would be wondering why Kane's even in the running, when all they've seen is him doing robberies and ordering Kirsty about.Kirsty finally had the life she wanted without him and I can see why she wouldn't be all that enthusiastic about going back.Kane did seem to make an awful lot of assumptions:He did try to find a job near the Bay, so he could be with Kirsty and Ollie no matter what, but he also set up a new job and a new life for them without actually bothering to ask Kirsty what she wanted.And his confronting Miles does suggest a lack of trust or respect for her, not willing to let her make up her own mind.I think things have changed between them and in the final reckoning some fond memories and a child they both love aren't enough to make a successful marriage.

I won’t bother trying to refute the point of Kirsty falling for Kane in the first place because most people have their thoughts on the subject and have decided which part of the fence they’re on and I don’t think anybody’s really going to change their minds about it.

Kane never hit Kirsty. He raised his hand and then he stopped himself. Yes he was going to but he didn’t. I too didn’t like the way he went up to Miles and basically put pressure on him to break up with her but it’s hardly unexpected. At the time when he told her to move on he wasn’t expecting to get out of jail anytime soon but he was released (however implausible that may be) and given another chance. What was he expected to do? He wanted his family back.

I hated the fact that he accused Dani of deliberately trying to run him down but in his defense I honestly believe he thought Dani tried to kill him. And who could blame her? Even if she had done it deliberately I still thought he should have dropped everything. However I still think she has to take some responsibility because she should never have been driving in the rain in the state she was. She was an emotional wreck and it was dangerous.

I don’t think Kane ever abused Kirsty either and at times she was shown to be just as manipulative as he was. Recall when she lied about being pregnant so that Rhys wouldn’t annul their marriage and then she went to the trouble of emotionally blackmailing her sister to lie for her and later on put her husband and family through the heartache of a miscarriage. Regarding Kane not showing any remorse I don’t think he did after the robbery but he certainly did after Dani made him realise what he did to her. That was what the writers were trying to show with the second mediation session.

Kane has done nothing good for her, except giving her cute little Ollie! Kane doesnt deserve Ollie, has Kane ever done anything good?

Well I seem to remember him carrying Kirsty to safety, giving her water and taking care of her in the Bush after the Mirigini sunk. He saved Shelly from a snake bite and almost died for his efforts. He dug with his bare hands to help some of the locals rescue Kirsty, Max, Rhys and Jade from the collapsed mine shaft. And finally he saved Noah and Max from the drop in centre when it burned down.

I take it you didn’t see any of those episodes?

Here here, to your entire post! Regarding Miles, like you said, he wanted his family back. He has a responsibility, as a father and as a husband. He wants his son to have a mother and a father. Also, Miles knew darn well that Kirsty was married. As far as Kane being abusive, you're right he has never even so much as said ONE WORD abusive towards Kirsty, and I was an avid watcher around then, and still have many of the episodes on tape. He never said one word out of line to Kirsty, except call her 'babe'. Kirsty manipulated Kane way back then, as you said with the pregnancy, and even allowed Shelley's fiance to file charges against him, even though she knew he didn't hit her and has never been a threat to her. Her whole yes I'll go with you Kane, no my family needs me, Dani needs me treatment of Kane was manipulative. Unfortunately, as much as I liked Kirsty, she was the one who wore the pants in that relationship and was the only manipulator.

"And finally he saved Noah and Max from the drop in centre when it burned down." That is one I forgot. See? Of course, people 'conveniently' forget all the good things he has done, in favour of one mistake. That annoys me as it is completely unfair. All the good Kane has done imo far outweighs any bad he has ever done.

One mistake. Call RAPE one mistake? I don't think so. How could Kirsty fall for her sisters rapist? Disgusting.

One mistake. Call RAPE one mistake? I don't think so. How could Kirsty fall for her sisters rapist? Disgusting.

Finally I agree with you grumble bum LOL! Yes it is disgusting and it wasnt a mistake he had made the choice to rape dani, no one forced him. How could rape be a mistake? He knew what he was doing and comitted a horrific crime. Kane deserves what he gets in life, not only has he mainpulative kristy all these years, raped dani, and not to mention all those robberies he's committed. I dont like kane never have and never will and kristy was pathetic for falling for him in the first place. She can do so much better, it was a relief she got with miles but a bummer that she broke off the relationship with him.

Finally I agree with you grumble bum LOL! Yes it is disgusting and it wasnt a mistake he had made the choice to rape dani, no one forced him. How could rape be a mistake? He knew what he was doing and comitted a horrific crime. Kane deserves what he gets in life, not only has he mainpulative kristy all these years, raped dani, and not to mention all those robberies he's committed. I dont like kane never have and never will and kristy was pathetic for falling for him in the first place. She can do so much better, it was a relief she got with miles but a bummer that she broke off the relationship with him.

Out of interest, did either of you watch back in 2001/2 and see the rape in its context? The final mediation session between he and Dani in 2002 is particularly interesting to watch, and sums up nicely Kane's state of mind at the time. "Mistake" was the word for it.

Although the relationship came out of left field, it didn't stop many people sympathising with all characters involved in the story. It was an incredibly well-written story, and although the concept makes people critical, it was written and executed very carefully and respectfully.

The good things Kane has done certainly outweigh the bad, but unfortunately it's the bad that people seem to remember more. Same with everything that he has been through - people seem to forget everything he's had to put up with and simply categorise him as the "baddie". He's not a one-dimensional character, and I hate people portraying him to be.

Edited by Claire

Did anyone else notice on Tuesday last week that Kirsty called Kane babe on the phone?

:D It was just like the old days :wub: Apart from the fact he'd run off with their kid. I wonder if Kane is going to come to the bay? I assume he is, but I haven't heard of him coming back.

Edit: My bad. I totally forgot their overseas spoilers :blush: Sorry!

Edited by Traceve

Well, if it wasn't a mistake, what do you call it? A birthday party? Kane genuinely thought Dani wanted it. He did NOT know what he was doing, he did not rape Dani out of malicious intent! He honestly and genuinely thought she wanted it. Obviously you didn't watch back then, because if you did, you would have known he SINCERELY thought she wanted it and he did not do it deliberately, to hurt her. He didn't do it deliberately or with malicious intent. So yes, it obviously WAS a mistake. Yes, on surface value it is disgusting, but the fact of the matter is, that it was a mistake. Also, Kirsty, rather than kane, was manipulative back then, more evidence you never watched back then. Kane did an awful lot of good, which you quite obviously never saw. Kane definitely deserves better, and if your prejudice and narrow mind means you cannot see that, and cannot move past one act, well, thats sad. Kirsty saw deep into Kane's soul, at least she was able to do that, perhaps you are unable to see people that way, and fixate on one issue. Kane didn't mean to do that, and a person's worth is not summed up in one mistake. There is much more to a person than that.

Edited by Salem

Out of interest, did either of you watch back in 2001/2 and see the rape in its context? The final mediation session between he and Dani in 2002 is particularly interesting to watch, and sums up nicely Kane's state of mind at the time. "Mistake" was the word for it.

Although the relationship came out of left field, it didn't stop many people sympathising with all characters involved in the story. It was an incredibly well-written story, and although the concept makes people critical, it was written and executed very carefully and respectfully.

The good things Kane has done certainly outweigh the bad, but unfortunately it's the bad that people seem to remember more. Same with everything that he has been through - people seem to forget everything he's had to put up with and simply categorise him as the "baddie". He's not a one-dimensional character, and I hate people portraying him to be.

Thank you Claire, you are exactly right. There was more to Kane than that one act. He did a lot of good, but of course, certain people only remember that one non-malicious act and act as if he murdered someone.

Edited by Salem

Well, if it wasn't a mistake, what do you call it? A birthday party? Kane genuinely thought Dani wanted it. He didn't do it deliberately or with malicious intent. So yes, it obviously WAS a mistake. Yes, on surface value it is disgusting, but the fact of the matter is, that it was a mistake. Kirsty saw Kane's soul, perhaps you are unable to see people that way, and fixate on one issue. Kane didn't mean to do that, and a person's worth is not summed up in one mistake. There is much more to a person than that.

What Kane did wasnt an accident because how can u accidenty rape someone

but he thought she wanted him too doo it

he was messed up

Kirsty hated Kane because of what he did to dani but than Kane saved her and her mum and they didnt really like each other but they could talk and they understood eachother

but thats in the past

people need to get over it i mean it was like in 2001 and Dani and Kane became friends did they not

Edited by gazzalovesu

Am so happy to see that there are some kane and kirsty fans still out there!! everywhere i saw was people giving out about kane and saying kirsty should be with miles! completely agree with claire-i hate the way kane is being portrayed as the baddie, there is so much more to his character! and the whole kane, dani and the sutherlands mess was sorted out years ago-in the end, the sutherlands (even dani) accepted kane and kirsty's marriage so i wish people would stop going on about it. In regard to the whole dani and kane situation. kane did not maliciously rape dani-dani showed an interest in him and flirted with him and because he was brought up in an abusive home where he was never shown any love (kirsty is the first person that ever tells kane that she loves him, even his own mother had never told him so), he thought dani genuinely wanted it and she never fought him off. I am in no way saying dani deserved it but it is not as black and white as people think and i think the whole thing was actually done really well.

I am annoyed with the way kane and kirsty have been portrayed since their return.....there is no way the old kirsty would have moved on within weeks of kane going to jail and that she would want to stay with miles over kane. the writers have ruined them which i find really surprising because they spent years building up their relationship and making them one of the most popular couples in the bay. i wish they would just get their happy ending!