Kane/Kirsty

Jen

Well, if it wasn't a mistake, what do you call it? A birthday party? Kane genuinely thought Dani wanted it. He did NOT know what he was doing, he did not rape Dani out of malicious intent! He honestly and genuinely thought she wanted it. Obviously you didn't watch back then, because if you did, you would have known he SINCERELY thought she wanted it and he did not do it deliberately, to hurt her. He didn't do it deliberately or with malicious intent. So yes, it obviously WAS a mistake. Yes, on surface value it is disgusting, but the fact of the matter is, that it was a mistake. Also, Kirsty, rather than kane, was manipulative back then, more evidence you never watched back then. Kane did an awful lot of good, which you quite obviously never saw. Kane definitely deserves better, and if your prejudice and narrow mind means you cannot see that, and cannot move past one act, well, thats sad. Kirsty saw deep into Kane's soul, at least she was able to do that, perhaps you are unable to see people that way, and fixate on one issue. Kane didn't mean to do that, and a person's worth is not summed up in one mistake. There is much more to a person than that.

I completely understand what you are saying but there’s no need to be like that. Even though I’m a massive KK fan this isn’t an appreciation thread so people are allowed to say negative things about them. :)

Firstly regarding the earlier point made about Dani and the trial I also think she got off because the truck driver saw her get out of the car came forward which proved that she didn’t run Kane down deliberately which corroborated her story about believing she thought she’d hit an animal.

Anyway moving on, it’s interesting how a significant number of people have now completely done a U-turn regarding Kane, since he was released from prison. In the past I noted a lot of comments from people who said although they hated KK, they actually hated Kirsty more than they hated Kane. Now he seems to be the selfish one and the object of distain. I’ve also noted that quite a few people who said they were fans before and now rooting for Kirsty and Miles. To me that speaks volumes.

As I said on another thread since they’ve been back it just hasn’t felt right, certainly not like the good old days. There’s been no spark, no chemistry between them. I don’t really think Kane’s changed that much as his expectations weren’t particularly high. He just wanted to be with Kirsty and their kid. As Red Ranger said Kirsty wanted a stable home for her son. The thing that bothers me is that for someone who ran away twice with him prior to 2005 and came back because she missed her family, I find it hard to believe the there has be no attempt to contact Rhys, Shelly, Dani etc whatsoever. And I can only recall Kirsty even mentioning them one time and that was when Jai was banned from seeing Annie and Kirsty made a comment about Rhys locking her in her bedroom to stop her from seeing Kane (as a side note were she and Miles actually sharing Kirsty/Jades old bedroom or am I guessing it was Rhys and Shelly’s). For someone that was prepared to give up her husband in order for her son to have a better life you’d thought she would want Ollie to get to know his real family. Now if she hasn’t contacted them out of pride that would indicate true selfishness. However I’m sticking with the argument about poor continuity regarding scriptwriting.

Wanting Kirsty and Kane back together or to stay together seems to be about nostalgia more than anything and I can understand that, we've all got our favourites couples from the show's past that we like to think lived happily ever after.But anyone who wasn't watching the show in 2005 would be wondering why Kane's even in the running, when all they've seen is him doing robberies and ordering Kirsty about.Kirsty finally had the life she wanted without him and I can see why she wouldn't be all that enthusiastic about going back.Kane did seem to make an awful lot of assumptions:He did try to find a job near the Bay, so he could be with Kirsty and Ollie no matter what, but he also set up a new job and a new life for them without actually bothering to ask Kirsty what she wanted.And his confronting Miles does suggest a lack of trust or respect for her, not willing to let her make up her own mind.I think things have changed between them and in the final reckoning some fond memories and a child they both love aren't enough to make a successful marriage.

This last paragraph is a killer because I tend to agree with it to a certain extent and by doing so, I’m basically saying that Kirsty and Kane are doomed. I’m assuming Kirsty is coming back because that did not feel like a happy ending when they departed and I presume Christie hasn’t left the cast (I haven’t heard anything yet) but I’m really starting to wonder myself that although she loves Kane is she actually IN love with him anymore. And I find myself returning to the same conclusion namely that I’d wished they’d never returned or better still it would have been better to leave Kane in jail (someone even suggested icing him for the sake of KK like JM and Sally and Flynn) ie. only one true love.

• Replies 65
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I have to agree with what some posters have said, it would have been far better if Kane and Kirsty had never returned as the writers have managed to ruin the story and the only good thing to come out of the sloppy scriptwriting has been Ollie. I think I'd like to see the very annoying Kirsty killed off now and have Kane as a single Dad bringing up Ollie *sigh* but as Sam Atwell prefers directing that's never going to happen.

I don't understand why there is still so much hatred for Kane either. Yes, he did something horrific but he was genuinely sorry. And that's the part I just don't understand about the hatred. Other people in Summer Bay have done worse things and don't seeem to have had ANY conscience...Barry Hyde killed and buried his wife; Angie - well, she messed up everybody in the Bay, didn't she? And didn't her own son kill her? And then there was the Stalker, how many people did she cold-bloodedly murder? For me, the big difference is that Kane did have a conscience and tried to make up for his actions and the fact that even Dani forgave him in the end speaks volumes.

I'm not saying being sorry makes everything alright, but WHY the hatred when other characters do terrible things too and don't seem to lose a single night's sleep over what they've done? :blink::unsure:

^^I actually CAN understand the hatred towards Kane because I’ve disliked other characters who have done lesser things. I think everyone has someone who they don’t like that’s just something that comes with Soaps such as Home and Away with such a diversity of characters and diversity of people watching it.

Regarding Barry Hyde I think the reason why he killed his wife was because she was going to drown Kim when he was a baby, so he had no choice. Regarding Angie and Zoe, initially they were both ok and then we saw an evil side to them but the issue is they were both made out to be the bad guys so people expected them to do bad things. Also, did people actually like them as people or as characters? In saying that, I’ve noticed one thing in common with the three people whom you mentioned. For every single one of them there have been consequences/repercussions. They all paid for what they did. Kane however didn’t. Don’t get me wrong because Kane will remain one of my favourite all time characters but I can see where people are coming from regarding their frustration towards him as he was never punished for what he did to Dani. Things might have been different if he was sent down to jail and was released on parole because at least he would have served his time.

I have noticed though how some viewers can have double standards. We all know what Kane did but look at Aden. He beat his best friend and left him for dead, he kidnapped his girlfriend and doctor (who went out of her way to help him incidentally) and he tried to administer a lethal injection to his dad. But apparently to a significant number of people he can do no wrong!

Some one please shoot Kane and Kirsty. They are pathetic. Fighting over Ollie like he was a toy. Irene is caught in the middle. If i was Miles i would have Kane charged with assault. Kane and Kirsty don't deserve Ollie he should be taken of them and put into foster care.

Can I just remind everyone that personal attacks are not acceptable in the character threads- or anywhere on the board. There's a pinned thread at the top of this forum because the problem was particularly relevant to this section of the board.

It is acceptable to:

* Post your opinion on a couple, pairing, individual characters

* Say why you like / dislike the above

* Disagree with another posters opinion

* Argue your point in terms of something another poster has disagreed with you

It is not acceptable to:

* Attack fans or anti-fans of a couple, pairing or individual characters because you disagree with their opinion

* Post derogatory or generalizing comments towards the fans or anti-fans of the above

* Take offense to somebody having an opinion that you don’t agree on

You're more than welcome to argue/debate an issue/topic to your hearts content but as Slade pointed out there is no reason for personal attacks and this is a thread for discussion, not just appreciation or bashing of characters or members.

Edited by Jamey-Maria

Just a point that some have been making about when Kirsty and Kane ran away together (when they were picking fruit to get by), Kirsty didn't return because she missed her family. She returned because Kane sent her back home. She fell asleep in the car and whens he woke up, they were approaching the Summer Bay house, and Kirsty didn't want to go in, but Kane pushed her out the car, because he felt it was best for her.

They all paid for what they did. Kane however didn’t. Don’t get me wrong because Kane will remain one of my favourite all time characters but I can see where people are coming from regarding their frustration towards him as he was never punished for what he did to Dani.

I have to strongly disagree here. Part of the reason I root for Kane, was because he SUFFERED far more than ANY other character in Home and Away's history. He may not have went to jail, but be honest with yourself here. Can you truly think of anyone else in the history of this show, that was so demonised by fellow residents? Any? Anyone? Because I can't. One of the things about Kane is that he was hounded and demonised like no tomorrow, right up until he left. No one gave him a break. NO ONE. That never happened with any other character. The abuse, the slurs, the hostility, the demonisation, that was far worse than him going to jail. All that he endured, my point all along has been that he paid for what he did 10 times over, just by having to suffer through the residents of Summer Bay. NO ONE has ever paid more for their mistakes, or been punished, more than Kane did, jail or no jail. No one.

I have noticed though how some viewers can have double standards. We all know what Kane did but look at Aden. He beat his best friend and left him for dead, he kidnapped his girlfriend and doctor (who went out of her way to help him incidentally) and he tried to administer a lethal injection to his dad. But apparently to a significant number of people he can do no wrong!

I couldn't agree more. Ailsa murdered her father. Irene? Well when she first came to Summer Bay, she was an abusive mother who abused her own children and left them cowering in fear, and on the run on the streets. But 2 other examples stick out even more. Jesse. Stole cars, got a second chance. Then, AGAIN went off the rails, a second time, commited armed robbery and various other crimes as well as car-stealing. Deliberate malicious acts, with intent, REPEATED since it was his second time. Came back from jail. Was given a THIRD chance, despite his violent crimes. Lastly, Nathan Roberts, Irene's son. Was in jail for armed robbery, assault and various other crimes and even took Sarah (Tug's girlfriend) hostage. Yet he comes back, performs one act of bravery (rescuing the kids from the school bus fire) and all of a sudden, EVERYONE just *LOVES* him, despite the fact that he was an extremely violent and dangerous man not long before that. Yet, Kane commits one act, thought Dani truly wanted it, after mediation shows up at the Sutherlands virtually in tears, apologising to Dani (Did Jesse or Nathan ever apologise at all, let alone in tears? - Nahhhh!). Performs SEVERAL acts of bravery and good deeds, yet where is the welcome Nathan, Jesse etc got? He performed more good deeds than those 2 put together. Yet because his crime was sexual (and thats what I think its all about, its because it was a sexual crime), everyone conveniently ignores all the good that man did, because his crime was rape. The hypocrisy of not only Summer Bay back then, and some viewers, not only was breath-taking, but frustratingly blatant.

Edited by Salem

Some one please shoot Kane and Kirsty. They are pathetic. Fighting over Ollie like he was a toy. Irene is caught in the middle. If i was Miles i would have Kane charged with assault. Kane and Kirsty don't deserve Ollie he should be taken of them and put into foster care.

Shoot Miles first. He is the homewrecker, the interloper. If it weren't for him getting involved with someone else's missus, then Kirsty and Kane wouldn't be having these problems. None of this would have happened. Any red-blooded Aussie male would give a serving to someone encroaching on their girl. Its the way the boys deal with things. One of the lines you don't cross with men, is getting involved with their wife. If there was a charge for coming between the state of matrimony, Miles would be charged. Quite frankly, Miles deserved it for playing around with a married woman.

Edited by Salem

Shoot Miles first. He is the homewrecker, the interloper. If it weren't for him getting involved with someone else's missus, then Kirsty and Kane wouldn't be having these problems. None of this would have happened. Any red-blooded Aussie male would give a serving to someone encroaching on their girl. Its the way the boys deal with things. One of the lines you don't cross with men, is getting involved with their wife. If there was a charge for coming between the state of matrimony, Miles would be charged. Quite frankly, Miles deserved it for playing around with a married woman.

You cant really Blame Miles Blame Kane he told Kirsty to move on she did

if Kane never said that Kirsty would have not even looked Miles way

I agree with Salem to some extent - not as strongly and nothing condones violence - but Miles was well aware that Kirsty was already married. Even if Kane did tell her to move on (and bear in mind he thought at the time he was going to be in jail for several years and loved Kirsty and Ollie so much he was more concerned about them than himself) it was just a couple of weeks after Kirsty had been separated from her husband and not by Kane's choice nor by her own choice.

Kirsty was a single Mum in a very emotional and vulnerable state and (yeh, yeh, I know he's only following the script! :P ) Miles took advantage of that fact.

Kane told Kirsty to move on. Kane should of respected that decision. When Kirsty and Miles where together Kirsty should of told Miles straight away that she was a call girl and was funding Kane's appeal. The relationship could of ended then before Miles got hurt. Kirsty has brought every thing on her self with all her lies.