Rachel/Tony

Cal

• Replies 1.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

If Tony didn't say anything to Rachel and agreed to going to overseas, Tony would be unhappy, oh but it's okay because Rachel is the only person who matter in this relationship.... If Rachel loves what she does she should be happy with staying in Summer Bay and can you not say that working in a hosptial is challenging? I think it would be. Rachel can't expect Tony to drop everything and leave, this is a big life changing step.

Rachel doesn't love what she's doing though, that's the point. She feels frustrated that her position in the hospital is more paperwork than patient care and it isn't challenging in the right way for her. She obviously feels that it's too repetitive and there's no room to grow or challenge herself in the position she's in. She's been offered this amazing opportunity that means she can do more than just be a doctor, she can take part in research, help develop new drugs; something she'd never be able to do in Australia as easily due to the lack of money available. I think as a doctor that would be a hugely attractive proposition and it also means she'd be able to spend more time with her son which is important to her.

There's not really a lot for Tony to drop though is there? Just his job which he can pick up again in America easily. But I do understand it's a big move for him and I don't blame him at all for being hesitant but I think it would have been nicer to see him be more open and willing to discuss it with her, rather than snapping at her and making her feel like she's a bad person for wanting to do it. I think his only other surviving son being in America is a huge thing for him to. She's not expecting him to drop everything and leave, she told him it's an incredibly complicated situation that she just wants him to consider but frustratingly, there's not been much of that.

In the same way that Rachel could be seen as selfish for wanting this job so much, Tony could be seen as selfish for denying her this opportunity. So I don't think either of them are in the wrong here; it's just a really difficult situation and a good chance for them to re-evaluate their relationship and marriage and what's most important to them both. So I look forward to seeing how it's carried out :)

Despite the clear flaws in this story i do love that Tony and Rachel are dealing with realistic problems that face a lot of couples in real life. One of the reasons i love them so much is that for the most part, they've had a very normal, real to life relationship. Unlike pretty much every other couple they've shown that if you love someone enough and work at a relationship, you can get past any issues/problems without breaking up. Relationships aren't easy and Tony and Rachel have certainly had their ups and downs!! :lol: The normal, everyday stuff they've had deal with, such as financial worries, job satisfaction, struggles with becoming new parents etc. has all been portrayed in a very real and easy to relate to way. Rachel is trying to 'have it all' but currently failing and Tony seems determined to completely shut down and not even discuss the possibility of moving. However, if it situation was reversed i do feel that Rachel would be expected to up and move with him as most women are, sad as it is even in today’s society. As the main breadwinner (presumably) you could argue that she should have the biggest say. Let’s not forget she took on extra shifts when she didn’t want too because he decided to quit his job. This new job will give her more time with Harry so i understand why she wants it so much.

They're both stubborn people and in a situation like the one they're currently in you'd expect a lot of tension. If Rachel is selfish for putting her career first, then he is equally as selfish for putting himself before his wife and baby son, and Lucas too who I’m sure would love to have his dad on the same continent.

I think Rachel’s desperate attempts to get him to come shows how much she wants it to work for all of them and I think when push comes to shove she wouldn’t leave without him. I think deep down she believes he’ll change his mind. And I can’t imagine Tony would ever let it get as far as his wife and son leaving and him staying all because he likes living in Summer Bay.

They're both very real charatcers and if they go they'll really be missed :( I like that they have flaws and don't always do things right or as they should. That's life and how it should be.

Does anyone think it's funny how Tony and Rachel had pretty much been in the background all year

until their leaving storyline.

I do wonder. Do you think the producers stopped giving them storylines

before Amy had quit or after?.

Edited by john003au

Does anyone think it's funny how Tony and Rachel had pretty much been in the background all year

There's not any actual official confirmation that Amy was the one who decided to quit so I don't know how much of it we can believe. TV Week only quoted "a source" and we know how unreliable they can be. Still even if she did

I think it's pretty obvious that they either couldn't be bothered or couldn't think of any storylines to give Tony & Rachel

long before the decision to leave or end their contracts was made.

The last storyline before the one happening now that Rachel had was her post natal depression/going back to work storyline all the way back in late 2009. The writers seemingly gave up with them (or TPTB should I say...i can't exclusively blame the writers :lol:

I do find Tony's reluctance to talk to her about her wanting to leave really strange and his sudden turn around from going "no Rachel, you really should consider this, they'd be lucky to have you; at least sleep on it" to "how dare you consider leaving, do you realise how selfish that is?" And I find it quite sad that he's being so accusatory about Rachel 'taking Harry away from him' when all he has to do is go with them and he doesn't have to lose Harry. Rachel wants him to go, it's not like she's asking for a divorce and moving away so that he can't see him. I hope there's another explanation for Tony's behaviour because if there isn't then I think it's really poor writing from a character point of view. Tony has never been this moody.

There's not any actual official confirmation that Amy was the one who decided to quit so I don't know how much of it we can believe. TV Week only quoted "a source" and we know how unreliable they can be. Still even if she did

I think it's pretty obvious that they either couldn't be bothered or couldn't think of any storylines to give Tony & Rachel

long before the decision to leave or end their contracts was made.

The last storyline before the one happening now that Rachel had was her post natal depression/going back to work storyline all the way back in late 2009. The writers seemingly gave up with them (or TPTB should I say...i can't exclusively blame the writers :lol:

I do find Tony's reluctance to talk to her about her wanting to leave really strange and his sudden turn around from going "no Rachel, you really should consider this, they'd be lucky to have you; at least sleep on it" to "how dare you consider leaving, do you realise how selfish that is?" And I find it quite sad that he's being so accusatory about Rachel 'taking Harry away from him' when all he has to do is go with them and he doesn't have to lose Harry. Rachel wants him to go, it's not like she's asking for a divorce and moving away so that he can't see him. I hope there's another explanation for Tony's behaviour because if there isn't then I think it's really poor writing from a character point of view. Tony has never been this moody.

You'd think the producers would find storylines for them because that's their job but then the producers are only human.

And I guess most of the mainstay cast are just there to support other characters in their storylines.

So I think that if the producers are just going to have Tony and Rachel be like Alf, Irene, Colleen, Leah, Marilynl then think it's best if they leave while the going is good because I think 5 mainstay characters are enough.

Edited by john003au

Having watched Thursday's and Friday's episodes, I'm pleased that there is a reason Tony has been acting this way although if he'd have just been honest with Rachel from the start about Jack then things might not have gotten so bad.

I was worried that they were going to portray Rachel as putting her career before her family but again I'm pleased to see that's not the case and seeing her finally cracking in front of Leah when she realised Tony might not actually come frightened her a lot I think. I guess she accepted the job thinking ultimately Tony would come with her and the fact that he's refusing to AND refusing to let her take Harry means the situation is just a huge mess. I'm pleased she didn't get him a plane ticket as like she said it would have looked as though she was bullying him and forcing him to come when ultimately she wants him to come happily to or at least discuss it with her. I can understand why Tony thinks that it meant she was happy to go without him though; it doesn't look too good but if he just sat down and allowed her to explain things and spoke to her, this whole thing need not have happened.

I can understand why Rachel's not wanting to admit her fears to Tony; I think she originally didn't believe she was good enough for the job; Daniel and Tony's encouragement allowed her to think she was and then Tony's remarks have brought her back down again and given her a confidence crisis; especially when her marriage is in such a state to.

I've loved Leah and Miles's involvement in the whole thing; I think it's a real shame they haven't utilised Tony and Miles' friendship before though. It's good that Leah's seeing things from both sides and pointing out to Rachel how it looks from Tony's point of view as the way this storyline has been promoted with the promos and the sneek peeks subtitled "Rachel tells Tony she's taking Harry to America" makes it appear as if Rachel's putting her career first but actually when you watch it you realise it's all a bluff to make Tony see how much it means to her. I love Miles as well, his continuous "stop moping and go home" and "talk to Rachel" amuses me as it's so obvious it's what Tony needs to do but he's being stubborn about it. I guess with Miles losing a wife and daughter to he's struggling to see how Tony could let them go but at the same time how Rachel could go without them; then again he's only had Tony's side of the story. The scene of Miles and Leah discussing it was nice as well; both putting their heads together to see how they can help them.

As much as it's sad and frustrating to see them not communicating properly together I have enjoyed this week's episodes. Just seeing them step back and consider how much they really do mean to each other is intriguing to watch and the difficulty of the situation is being really well portrayed in my opinion. I think they've had one the whole one of the most realistic portrayals of what marriage actually is; the mundane and the fighting and the balancing things so that both sides are happy. I just really, really hope that Tony is honest with Rachel about why he really doesn't want to go - hopefully Lucas can help that.

And Harry babbling throughout the episode was very cute :wub: Although he changed his face about 3 or 4 times over Friday's episode :lol:

Edited by charmed60

I am struggling to understand Tony's reasoning as to why he refuses to leave. He keeps going on about what he has to give up but isn't the reason he loves Summer Bay so much is because he is happy with Rachel and Harry? If they left would be really be satisfied with his job and friends that he apparantly loves so much he can't even consider leaving them. It infuriates me that he won't even talk to her about why he wants to stay and instead just makes he feel terrible for wanting something so much. Can't he see that by making her stay she has to give up something; he doesn't seem willing to even to consider her feelings at all :( It's just really sad.

^^ What's even more funny is the way he told Leah it's not even about his teaching job....it's the boxing :blink: Well Tony, if you're happy to lose your wife and son for a boxing class then more fool you!! I guess deep down his real reason is Jack but for some insane reason he doesn't want to tell her that.

Can't he see that by making her stay she has to give up something; he doesn't seem willing to even to consider her feelings at all

Doesn't Tony have to give something up if he goes?? Like seeing Gina and quitting his job...saying goodbye to his friends...not to mention the lifestyle change. Moving to a new country is a huge decision. Moving is on the top of the list for life's stressors. I can emphasise with Tony's position and I am so glad he's not holding back and bottling what he's feeling inside, instead he is telling Rachel exactly how he feels. Good on him! I really do think Rachel is choosing her job over her marriage, because when it all comes down to losing Tony in order to take the job, she will take the job. I think that's been made clear despite the fact she wants him to go with her. If Tony doesn't go then she has stated that she will choose her job over their marriage. So in my opinion once again Rachel in the relationship takes what she wants. First it was having a baby, now it's a better, higher paid job.