Twilight

Guest LuvAden

• Replies 113
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Chapter 11

Larry is pacing back and forth near the Diner, trying to decide whether to call Christine or not when he suddenly sees her barreling towards his direction looking flustered. He smiles as she gets nearer but her expression is cold.

“Christine, I was just about to call you.”

“Have you seen Melody?” she asks.

“No, sorry. Do you have time for…”

“I need to find her.” Christine’s eyes dart around anxiously.

“Has something happened?” he asks with worry.

Christine starts to walk towards the beach without answering and he follows.

“Christine, are you alright?”

She stops and turns to face him but avoids looking him in the eye.

“Last night…what I told you…” she can’t believe she had been so stupid. “I…forget I said anything. It’s not true.”

“What?” Larry is confused. “Look, if you’re worried about me telling anyone then don’t, I would never breathe a word.”

“It’s not true. I wasn’t…” she can’t say the word. “that’s not how Melody was conceived.” Melody can never know about that. It’s bad enough she knows Edward isn’t her father.

Larry doesn’t believe a word.

“Why are you pretending? What happened since last night?” he asks calmly.

“Nothing! I’m just trying to set the record straight. I lied.” This time Christine does look him directly in the eye in an attempt to convince him but it doesn’t work, she falters and drops her gaze.

Larry takes another step closer.

“Christine,” he says softly. “I know it isn’t easy to admit but you’ve done the hard part, telling someone for the first time…”

“I lied.” Christine whimpers pathetically and unconvincingly.

“No you didn’t.” Larry says gently.

But Christine won’t give in, she can’t. Something inside her insists that she deny it, for Melody’s sake, she needs to salvage something from this. She takes a deep breath and speaks steadily.

“I had an affair. I slept with my husband’s boss and I got pregnant. He didn’t force me. I…it was wrong but he meant a lot to me.” She feels sick as she utters the words. It would be even harder telling Melody this tale. She turns away from Larry.

Why is she doing this, he wonders. He puts his hand on her arm gently but she recoils violently.

“Sorry..” he says quickly.

She looks so angry all of a sudden.

“Don’t think I don’t know what all of this is about.” She says. “Pretending to care, listening to me, as if butter wouldn’t melt. I know who you really are! You’re all the same. All after one thing, well I’m not going to be so stupid this time.”

“What are you talking about?” he really can’t understand why she is suddenly lashing out at him.

“I’m not going to sleep with you!” she almost shouts.

“I…” Larry is shocked. “That’s not what this is about!”

Christine curls her lip and starts to walk away again.

“Christine…” Larry hurries after her.

++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++

Aden shakes his head in frustration at Melody.

“Listen to me, you do not want to do this. Believe me. It’s not worth it just to teach your mum a lesson.” He’s not sure he’s getting through to her. “Go drink a few beers, stay out late…throw-up on your mum’s carpet – regular rebellion stuff. Running away to the city…” he shakes his head again. “You wouldn’t last five minutes on your own.”

“I’m not some silly little child having a tantrum.” Melody says huffily, she is sick of being treated like this.

Aden looks her straight in the eye.

“Yea you are.” He says bluntly. “A mature person wouldn’t choose to throw away their life. You’ll end up on the streets with no money, no friends, no security. Now, how exactly would that be sticking it to your mum? Seems to me, you’d be the one being punished.”

“I can get a job there, make my own home and I would never have to have anything to do with her again.” Melody says with determination. Ok, things would be hard at first but she would manage, she was smart.

“Don’t be stupid.” Aden says harshly. “You’re 15, what kind of job would you get? Hmm? Think about it. You think what Axel did to you was bad…” he stares at her, he doesn’t want to have to spell it out. “You’re not ready for the real world Melody. Stick to what you know best. Being the class nerd, sleepovers with Annie and, if things get really steamy - holding hands with Geoff!”

“I am not a child!” Melody screams. “Just because I’ve never…” she gulps, “that doesn’t mean I don’t understand the world. Having sex doesn’t mean you’re mature. Having sex…doesn’t mean anything.” She thinks about how it had always seemed to be such a taboo subject for her. Her mother made it sound like something awful, that only married couples did for the purpose of having children. For a long time, from what little she had known about it she found it hard to understand why so many people seemed obsessed with it. Then after she met Geoff she started to think that maybe there was more to it, maybe when you were in love it made sex more special, different. But obviously she had been wrong. People like Nicole, who talked about it like they talked about shopping or seeing a movie, they had it right. Sex wasn’t special it was just something people do. Her mother had told her it was wrong just as another way of controlling her.

“Look Melody…” Aden begins to tell her to go home and talk to her mother.

“Let’s do it. Get it out of the way.” Melody blurts out suddenly.

“Do what?” Aden asks baffled. He was starting to tire of this craziness.

“Have sex. I mean, you always act like the playboy…” Melody gets even closer. “Show me how its done.” She moves in, putting her arms around him and kissing him.

Aden is so stunned it takes him a moment to react.

Archived