Guest LuvAden

• Replies 113
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Sorry for the long wait!

Chapter 12

“Stop it!” Aden growls. But Melody tries again and he pushes her away roughly. “What the hell are you doing?” Melody falls backwards and Aden jumps to his feet.

“I…” Melody stammers looking scared.

“You can’t do that! How dare you!” Aden is clearly distressed and puts his hands to his head as he paces in a circle.

“I’m sorry.” Melody is shocked by how upset he is.

Aden turns around and stares at her intently. Just as he is about to speak they hear muffled voices coming from the beach and Aden peers through the overhanging branches and sees his father hurrying after Melody’s mum.

“Christine, stop. Wait!” Larry calls after her.

She pauses, more so because she is out of breath and has no idea why she is charging along the beach in the opposite direction of where she intended to go than because she wants to listen to Larry. But she doesn’t face him. He catches up and speaks calmly.

“I like you.” He says. “I admit that, but…wanting to be your friend, to support you, has nothing to do with me wanting to sleep with you.”

Aden and Melody watch curiously from a short distance. They cannot make out what Christine and Larry are saying to each other but they are clearly agitated. Mrs. Jones is obviously a hysterical nutjob like her daughter, thinks Aden. Melody watches coldly. Must be a lovers quarrel, she thinks bitterly.

“I want to help you.” Larry says.

“Then leave me alone. Let me find my daughter and fix things.” Christine pleads.

“Fix things?”

Christine finally faces him.

“Melody knows Edward isn’t her father. She overheard, the night he left.” Christine’s eyes glisten with tears.

“Did you explain what really happened?” Larry asks.

“Of course not!” Christine looks horrified. “She can’t know that. She can never know.”

“But what will you tell her?” Larry asks confused.

“What she already thinks happened. The same thing Edward believes. That I committed adultery.”

Larry shakes his head in disbelief. He can understand her need for denial but this is a mistake.

“You can’t cover this up. It will do more harm than good in the end, believe me. It’s best to get everything out in the open.”

“And let Melody know that her real father is a monster? Do you know how much that would hurt her?” Christine cannot even imagine telling Melody the truth.

“What happened is no reflection on her. Or you.” Larry reasons but Christine shakes her head vehemently.

“I can’t…She cannot know…” Christine starts to hyperventilate a little, “…what he did to me…” she sobs.

What the hell is going on, Aden wonders. Melody stands up. Why is her mother so upset? Not that I care, she reminds herself, but…

“You don’t have to go into detail but…” Larry understands why this is so difficult for her. It was the same feeling of shame and humiliation that had kept him from telling Aden for so long. “But telling the truth is the only way you’ll be able to move forward properly. When Melody understands…”

“No!” Christine snaps. “She doesn’t need to know. Once we’ve sold the house and Edward is back…”

“You’ve patched things up?” Larry interrupts, surprised.

“Well, not yet.” Christine admits. “But we will. We have to. Once we’re together, a proper family again, and we make a fresh start somewhere new everything will be fine.”

Christine sounds so certain it makes Larry feel even more sorry for her.

“You really think Edward will come back while he still believes you cheated on him?” Larry asks. She’s dreaming, he thinks.

“He’ll forgive me.” Christine answers as though it were obvious. “I’m sure he’s already thinking about it. He can’t manage on his own. I went to visit family once for a couple of weeks and he barely coped.” She almost smiles, remembering how they joked about how useless he was. “His clothes were crumpled, he wasn’t eating properly. The man can’t boil water. He needs me.”

Larry wonders who she is trying to convince.

“He needs me.” She repeats.

But Larry can’t hide his skepticism and she turns away in annoyance.

“Christine, I know what you’re going through.” He says quietly.

“How can you know?” Christine snaps and turns around angrily. “I was RAPED!” she screams, tears falling down her cheeks. “How could you possibly know what I’m going through?”

No, that can’t be right. I misheard, Melody thinks. She turns and looks at Aden for his reaction but Aden is staring, almost frightened towards his father and Christine.

Don’t, Aden prays, don’t say it. He can tell his father is speaking but can’t hear what he is saying. “Don’t say it.” He whispers to himself.

Melody looks at him with concern. “Aden?”

He turns and sees her questioning face, then looks back towards his father and Mrs Jones. She looks shocked. They aren’t talking. He’s told her. Aden turns on his heel and barges through the bushes.

Melody stands there frozen for a moment. It can’t be true. Her mother…she can’t bring herself to look towards her mother again. She doesn’t know why but she suddenly rushes after Aden.

“Aden!” she calls after him. “Wait!”

“Go away.” He shouts over his shoulder, then he groans. Up ahead, looking smug, is Nicole.

“Well well. Looky here.” She smirks. “Who’ve you been playing in the bushes with?”

“Shut up Nicole.” He says.

Melody catches up and isn’t pleased to see Nicole either.

“Men.” Nicole says rolling her eyes. “Such brutes eh Melody? Take you for a tumble and then can’t even be bothered to wait for you. I guess chivalry really is dead.”

Aden gives her a dangerous look.

“It wasn’t like that.” Melody stammers.

“Let me guess – you were just on a nature field trip! It’s ok, if anyone asks I didn’t see a thing.” Nicole assures her mockingly. “I’m guessing Geoff and Belle don’t know about your…excursion.”

“Get bent Nicole.” Aden says impatiently. He doesn’t have time for her prattle. He walks past her.

Nicole laughs and Melody follows him.

++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++

Nicole makes her way onto the beach. She wonders what they were really up to. Not that she really cares, if Melody Jones was involved it was probably something deathly dull anyway. God this place is so boring, she thinks. On the beach she notices Aden’s dad and the stitched up Mrs. Jones standing together. Not looking so stitched up right now, she thinks, there is something kind of intimate about the way they are standing. Eew, she thinks, oldies getting cozy - was there anything more disgusting? She turns away and walks back up from the beach. She sighs with boredom and then has an idea.

+++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++

“Knock knock!” Nicole walks into the beach house and finds Irene, Geoff and Belle sitting around the table looking morose.

“Hi Nicole.” Geoff says politely.

“Nicole.” Irene can’t help but have a hint of suspicion in her voice every time she speaks to that girl.

“Hey,” she says cheerfully. “Jeez you guys look miserable. Is this about Aden and Melody?”

“What about them?” Geoff asks worriedly.

“Oh…” Nicole tries to look innocent. “Nothing.”

“Spit it out Nicole.” Belle says, whatever stupid thing it is she is obviously dying to share.

“Actually Nicole,” Irene interrupts. “We’re a little busy so whatever it is why don’t you save it?” Irene stands up to see Nicole out.

“Fine.” Nicole says huffily. “I guess Geoff and Belle can find out for themselves.”

“Find what out?” Geoff asks.

“Ignore her.” Irene advises.

Nicole smirks devilishly.

“Just that things are getting way incestuous with the Jeffries’ and the Jones’” she says.

“What are you talking about?” Belle snaps.

Nicole savors having their full attention.

“Not only is Papa Jeffries getting cozy with Mama Jones – fully gross by the way,” she makes a face, “But now Aden and Melody are rolling around in the bushes together.”

The stunned looks on Geoff and Belle’s faces gives Nicole a sense of satisfaction. Hmm, maybe adults are right about making your own fun!

Archived