Be Careful What You Wish For

Guest maccaz

• Replies 89
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Chapter 9

"So...can you tell me why you're here?" The counsellor asked. Aden peered warily around the room. Resting on the shelves were various diplomas - this man was obviously experienced in his line of work. Aden gave a quiet sigh of relief - he knew that this man would treat his case with the sensitivity and respect he deserved.

"I want to talk about some....issues. With my family."

"OK."

'Specifically my grand-dad."

"Sure."

Aden took a deep breath.

"When I was ten, our house burnt down. We had nowhere else to go. So our grandfather decided to take us in."

The counsellor nodded intently, motioning for Aden to continue with his story. Aden sighed and bowed his head.

"It was normal enough to start off with. We just did a lot of normal, family-type stuff. You know, going to the beach, playing sport - that type of thing. It was fun."

"But it didn't stay that way, did it, Aden?" The counsellor enquired.

Aden let out a long sigh - he knew that question was coming - he didn't want to be forced to answer just yet. But he knew he had no choice.

"No, it didn't." he flatly replied.

"What happened?" asked the counsellor.

Aden's voice trembled as he began to recount his story.

"It was a cold night in June." Aden began. "I was struggling to keep warm under my bed. Then my grand-dad came in. And he...he....he..." Aden was gone as he broke down sobbing on the counsellor's desk. Even though Aden didn't spell out what had happened to him, from his years of experience, the counsellor knew instantly that Aden was a victim of sexual molestation. He had thousands of questions racing through his head - but he knew better than to push the issue when he had a clearly psychologically damaged boy in front of him.

"OK. We'll talk more about this next time."

------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Geoff felt extremely calm and serene as he went for a hike through the woods. For some reason, he always felt at home out there - like God himself was out there with him, watching over him. With his strong belief intact, he felt comfortable he could overcome any challenge that life set him. He had set himself a goal of getting out and explore the world around - to explore this wondrous creation that God had made for him and the other inhabitants of the earth.

As he walked out of the forest and out of the national park zone, he saw a grey ute parked nearby. Geoff knew he shouldn't look - but he wanted to see what those things stacked on it were. He went over to have a look at it. He was stunned to find dynamite stacked on there - probably over 10 tonnes of dynamite. Just then, a sharp voice interrupted him.

"OI!"

Geoff turned around to see Elliot walking towards him, furious and his face as red as a beetroot.

"Didn't you ever learn not to look at someone's private property!?"

"I'm sorry-"

"This dynamite is mine! It's none of your business how I use it! But since you asked - I'm a blasting man at the copper mines in the Blue Mountains. I take this dynamote out there, blast away the hard rock, and make myself quite a lot of money. So, back off."

Geoff turned on his heel and walked away. A new suspicion of Elliot was burning inside him. He now knew something wasn't right about him. And he was going to tell Nicole that - speaking of which, he hadn't seen her all day. Even though Nicole was generally loathe to acknowledge Geoff's existence, he knew he had to warn Nicole of his suspicions. So caught up was he in this new ambition, he didn't notice Elliot sneak up behind him, shovel in his hand. He raised the shovel and bought it down of Geoff's head with a hard thump.

--------------------------------------------------------------------

Edward was taking several deep breaths. For him, the day of reckoning had well and truly arrived. He was going to tell Christine he was fed up with her. Fed up with her high-handed ways. Fed up with her rambling crusades. Fed up with her attitude towards his daughter. Well, today was the day he would finally stand up to her. The only reason he had stood by her this long was because of the troubling circumstances in which they met - but recent events had shown him that that was no longer a motivating factor. Today was the day he was finally going to leave her. He took a deep breath and strode into the kitchen, where Christine was cooking dinner.

"Christine," he began. "We need to talk."

End of Chapter 9

Promo for Chapter 10 (in no particular order)

- Geoff and Nicole are held hostage by a deranged Elliot.

- Is Larry back in Summer Bay?

- Christine's troubling and shocking past is revealed.

Archived