Be Careful What You Wish For

Guest maccaz

• Replies 89
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Chapter 8

Aden and Belle sat together on the cliff at Stewart's Point. As the autumn wind swirled in their air, the leaves, coloured different shades of brown and green, fell from the trees. This generated a romantic atmosphere for the pair to sit together. This cliff was a peaceful place for Aden, where he could go and contemplate all the injustices of his childhood. It was also a nice place where he could hurl a stone into the raging sea below. Today, it was a romantic getaway. The pair just sat there in silence, letting the wind whistled through the hair. Finally, the silence was broken.

"What happened back there...was that because...?" Belle asked.

"Yeah." Aden replied, grimly.

"What happened?" Belle asked, squeezing Aden's hand to assure him of her support.

"It's just...whenever I feel like I'm about to take the next step the meories come back...and they form this wall I just can't get past."

There was another lengthy period of reflective silence. Again, it came down to Belle to get things moving again.

"You can get through this, Aden. There are special counselling services that deal with this kind of thing. And I'll be with you 100%, OK?"

Belle wrapped her hands around Aden's neck and rested her head on his shoulders. Aden smiled back, just grateful to have someone concerned about him for the first time in his life.

---------------------------------------------------------------

Christine and Edward slumped into the hard plastic seats at Northern Districts Hospital. Their faces were the very picture of worry and concern. One thought kept playing over and over in their heads, as though stuck on a continuous loop - Why did our girl do this to herself?

"I always knew Melody was highly-strung." Christine whispered. "But this...it's beyond the pale. I've no idea why she would do something like this."

"Me neither." Edward replied. Actually, I can think of a thing or two. He thought, as he reached out and put a comforting arm around his wife, even though part of him thought she didn't deserve it. He immediately felt guilty for thinking such things, as he remembered how far they had come and all the trials and tribulations they had been through together. Just then, Rachel arrived.

"Now, the good news is that Melody is going to be OK." Rachel replied. Both Jones' present sighed in relief.

"Can we see her?" Christine asked.

"Sure." Rachel replied. "I just need to ask you a few standard questions."

"OK." Edward replied.

"Where did you find her?"

"I went to check on her in her room and found her lying there."

"How did she cut herself?"

"She used her own pocket-knife."

"Do you have any idea why she did this, Mr. Jones?" Rachel asked intently.

"Excuse me, but I don't see how that's relevant." Christine interjected.

"Well, when most people cut themselves, it's usually because of something going wrong in their lives." Rachel began. "Perhaps family issues, low self-esteem, emotional abuse-"

"That's outrageous! How dare you accuse me of mistreating my daughter!" Christine shouted.

"I never said that-"

"No, but I understand your tone all too well. You think that because I love my daughter to death and want to protect her from the evil and harmful things in this world that I'm too controlling, abusive, unworldly, bigoted! WELL, YOU'RE WRONG!!"

"Look, we're just covering all our bases, Mrs. Jones."

Just then, an ear-piercing shriek came from down the hall.

"DON'T TOUCH ME!!!"

Rachel sighed and hurried off down the hall. Several doors down, she located the source of the noise. It came from a very emotionally distressed Melody, who, with limbs thrashing, was attacking a nurse who was helping her.

"Melody, please, I don't want to hurt you-"

"LIAR! YOU'RE A SERVANT OF SATAN, AN AGENT OF THE DEVIL COME TO DESTROY ME!!"

"Melody, please-"

"NO!!"

"I need some back up and a sedative." Rachel called. Two or three orderlies entered the room and restrained the screaming Melody.

"LET ME GO!! LET ME GO!!!" Melody cried. When she was fully restrained, Rachel primed a needle and inserted it into her arm. Instantly, her muscles relaxed, the screams stopped and Melody lapsed into a deep sleep. Wiping the sweat off her forehead, Rachel returned to the Jones', who unbeknowst to her, had heard the whole hubbub and renewed their concerns.

"What was that all about?" Christine asked.

Rachel took a deep breath and delivered her diagnosis.

"My guess is that her self-harm was caused by deep-seated emotional and psychological issues which remain unresolved." Rachel began. "As a result, I am recommending admitting her to the psychiatric clinic in Yabbie Creek for further observation and treatment. I'll need one of you to sign the admittance authorisation.

"Yes...of course." Edward muttered, in a daze as he signed the form.

---------------------------------------------------------------------

Later that night, the Jones' collapsed onto the sofa at their home. It had been a long day indeed, and worry was coursing through both of them.

"Do you want to talk about it?" Edward asked.

Christine gave a deep sigh. "I'm really worried, Edward. To think my baby's all alone in there, confused and scared-"

"You can't allow yourself to think like that, Christine." Edward replied. "That place has a really good reputation. The doctors will do their best to make her better. You'll see."

"I suppose you're right." Chrstine replied, her voice cracking. "I just want my old daughter back." Edward couldn't believe his eyes - either the light was playing tricks on him, or tears were running down Christine's face.

End of Chapter 8.

Promo for Chapter 9

- Aden begins his counselling sessions.

- Geoff observes some suspicious behaviour from Elliot.

Archived