Australian Discussion Thread

Frankie

• Replies 1.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Great that Libby, Ben, Daniel and Marco have been put in the credits, but isn't Valda a regular now? And for that matter, where's Charlie? Up until 2003 they put babies in the credits soon after they were born, but it took them over 2 years to even put Oscar in.

Loved Miranda recognising Libby tonight, since it kept continuity with her reference to meeting Susan at Drew's funeral.

Finally, Daniel and Steph make some reference to their fling 7 years ago - but I'm still confused as to whether he left town after leaving No. 32 or has been at the school but just hiding off screen until recently. Also, who will he be linked with? Elle's got Riley, Carmella has Marco, Rosie has Frazer, Steph has Toad, Libby has Darren - or does she...? - Maybe Marco's sister Mia.

Last night's episode answered my questions about Daniel: "I'm back at Erinsborough High" So he did leave in 2000. But I still think he came back long before we saw him - he was too familiar with Pepper when they were talking in one of her last episodes.

I laughed out loud when I heard Frazer's story about being asked to drive 100 metres from one airport terminal to another. The name Chas Licciardello came to mind.

Wow. Jackie Woodbourne NEEDS a logie, I’ll be utterly shocked. She’s one of the best 'mature' actress' on Australian television. So frustrating that the ratings surely reflect how little taste the Australian public have.

Yeah I think Daniel has just been around town in general, who knows...maybe it will be answered in the coming weeks.

Have they said whats the deal with Libby and Darren. I tune in everyday to find out, and they still havent said anything. Its almost been 2 weeks :( Tell me already, pleeeease!!

Susan yesterday was very distressing. Brilliantly acted, but just very distressing.

This show is so close to being good. They have great stuff like Susan's illness (oh. my. goodness. Jackie W is FANTASTIC!). That's truly inspired storytelling and better than anything I've seen on a soap in ages.

But there's still so much banality. I can't stand this show sometimes. It's just so... *daft*. Valda and Carmella are caught up in truly stupid storylines.

I don't think much of some of the young people's acting. The Riley actor is a bit off most nights. I think his acting is a little clumsy - like when he's going from neutral to angry at 100km/hour. I don't think the girl playing Didge(?) is ready to pull off a story like the one she has now (the injury storyline). That poor boy playing Zeke has an acting range that involves two levels of delivery. On the other hand, Ringo is very good.

The best part about this show at the moment is Susan. I love everything about her. He friendship with Mother Parker (forgot her name - Miranda?) and Rebecca is cool as. Like when Rebecca licked the last piece of cake so the others couldn't have it. Highlight of the episode. That's something I'd do.

They're totally on the right track with this show. But why do they insist on keeping the daftness and predictability? It's embarrassing and makes the show seem dated. It takes back all their good work. They seem to be up slightly in the ratings. If they want to take it further I think they have to commit to actually modernising. This seems a lot like Neighbours at the beginning of the year without the horrifying attempts at being bad-ass.

I think they’re just trying to keep the humour and light heartedness – I actually like that 'daft' aspect of the show, but would be all for them going down the more serious route too…which would probably increase the ratings in Australia – but the UK seem to love the more stress free portion, the part that might say ‘we don’t take ourselves too seriously’. I don’t know.

I totally agree with you about the Miranda, Rebecca Susan friendship.

But what I love about how the writers are handling the show, is the detail. It seems all so very planned out, as if they have a good solid route for each character to go down, rather than making it up as they go along, which is how Home and Away feels to me at the moment. They also take every opportunity to show friendship and relationships develop between all the characters.

Yeah the ratings have increase, and continue to increase, but its very slow, and I’m just frustrated more Australian’s aren’t tuning in to see some powerful and heartfelt drama. I think the ratings will go up, especially when the show goes in HD – I’ve seen the preview of the new ‘format’ in an ad for a ‘meet and greet’ and it looked very filmic from what I could see, so I think that will draw more people in for a start, however superficial that may be, but as long as it rakes more viewers in, I’ll be happy.

Archived