Latest UK Episode Discussion (2006-2017 Seasons)

liam99998204

• Replies 14.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
2 hours ago, Red Ranger 1 said:

No, more like exactly the same as what Neighbours and others do.Soap Characterisation 101: Introduce sparky lively likable characters and then grind them down until the audience find them dull and depressing.

Anyway! It seemed like a very strange creative decision to end an episode with a violent confrontation, then bury it in the middle of the recap and not bother showing the resolution.Are we to assume that Ash got bored and went away?Patrick becomes the second person to puncture this "John killed Billie" nonsense by arguing that she'd have been dead within days either way, the fire was very much a secondary concern. Still, it was nice to see Billie living on in spirit as Ash is reminded of the sort of person she was and how she wouldn't want him to waste his time hating a man for something he had no control over.It's not doing much for John's own guilt though, perhaps in a way it helped that he had an external mirror for it.I'm inclined on balance to think that leaving town would be a bad idea, trying to slap a sticking plaster on his pain rather than actually deal with it.

Well at least we got an acknowledgement of Nate's reasons for acting this way and it would make sense that he'd be scared of going there again.He still manages a few douchey moments though, notably his pointlessly dubbing Tori expressing her feelings as an "ultimatum".

Pretty much nothing Brody did here rang true.Last week he was against Mason hanging out with Lena once he found out she was into drugs, plus as he actually points out drugs got his parents killed and messed up his family for years.Yet here he goes from mistrusting Lena to giving her a job to finding her taking drugs at work to telling her not to do it again to turning a blind eye to the fact she was clearly on something to contemplating taking some himself (cos that's going to help him think better?), without any of it really feeling like a natural progression.Obviously he's got a weakness for mildly attractive blondes with different lifestyles.

Sometimes its the actors. Yet making them dull allows a departure without the fans being too upset. Its easier to get rid of a baddie than a well loved Icon

I agree about Brody, things have escalated quickly! One minute, sensible, VERY against drugs and the stress of a new menu (which is a common thing for him) and he's off to the stock room with a bag of coke. Odd. And unbelievable for me right now. Lena explained her older looks, she took two years off befor uni. That settles that.

I normally find Nate and Tori a snooze fest but I quite enjoyed their tug about kids. Having had this moment myself in life, and not wanting kids I was interested to see how it would pan out. I'm happy in the end Nate agreed not to completely be closed to the idea because he would make a FANTASTIC dad. Life doesn't tend to go in that direction in Summer Bay though which would be a shame in this case, they could be a lovely family together and actually is quite like to see that. 

So Irenes offer was a very definitive one. "Let me have Luc permanently". So I was a title confused when they next day she was saying that her offer was misunderstood. She did say permanently!! Which I find way too pushy. Irene hasn't helped herself with the nursery and getting carried away, I guess it's excitement mixed with the guilt and shame of what her son did. But you can't blame Leah from reacting the way she did. I think I would've been the same. And she did get a cuppa off Leah either, troubles-a-brewing!!! 

Alf's episode count this week:Five, meaning he's still only missed two episodes so far this season.

Brody's behaviour continues to be not very believable.It doesn't help that Evelyn clearly had her suspicions and then just shrugged them off.It seems like Brody's stress has just come out of nowhere in the episode before and now suddenly he can't make a decision without drugs, even though the decision he made whilst on them was rubbish and he realised once he'd come down.I'm struggling to find the logic in all this.At least we had some good characterisation for Raffy, who was believably sassy, especially with her quest to become a bridesmaid.And I actually rather liked Mason's subtle motioning to Justin before telling him about Lena out of Raffy's earshot.

Alf tearing a strip off John reminded me of the way Alf and Irene pretty much used emotional blackmail to get Marilyn and John to stay in town rather than go with Jett, and as then it feels like his main motivation is because he doesn't want Marilyn to go.I am expecting them to stay, although I guess the day could come when one of them wants to quit and the other decides to go as well.

Loved Ellie's reaction to Matt and Evelyn wanting to spend the day with her: They've got all that time in Vietnam together, she wants to see other people now.And the final chat seems to officially cast doubt on them just coming back once Evelyn's placement has ended.Matt's farewell with Alf felt like it should have been Roo but she's not around at the moment so he was the next best thing.Actually, there's a case to be made that it should be Leah so hopefully they'll get a proper farewell next week.I do like Matt and Evelyn as a couple and think they're very natural together but...that last scene didn't really feel natural to me.We saw some of it in the promo and I'd convinced myself the proposal seemed natural, but then in the actual episode we find it's actually "Let's get married tomorrow" which just had me thinking "...What?!" It just doesn't feel like a natural progression.I know Evelyn tried it with Josh but they were already engaged and you'd think that would have put her off more than anything.Here, it just seems to have come out of nowhere.

15 hours ago, Red Ranger 1 said:

Alf's episode count this week:Five, meaning he's still only missed two episodes so far this season.

Brody's behaviour continues to be not very believable.It doesn't help that Evelyn clearly had her suspicions and then just shrugged them off.It seems like Brody's stress has just come out of nowhere in the episode before and now suddenly he can't make a decision without drugs, even though the decision he made whilst on them was rubbish and he realised once he'd come down.I'm struggling to find the logic in all this.At least we had some good characterisation for Raffy, who was believably sassy, especially with her quest to become a bridesmaid.And I actually rather liked Mason's subtle motioning to Justin before telling him about Lena out of Raffy's earshot.

Alf tearing a strip off John reminded me of the way Alf and Irene pretty much used emotional blackmail to get Marilyn and John to stay in town rather than go with Jett, and as then it feels like his main motivation is because he doesn't want Marilyn to go.I am expecting them to stay, although I guess the day could come when one of them wants to quit and the other decides to go as well.

Loved Ellie's reaction to Matt and Evelyn wanting to spend the day with her: They've got all that time in Vietnam together, she wants to see other people now.And the final chat seems to officially cast doubt on them just coming back once Evelyn's placement has ended.Matt's farewell with Alf felt like it should have been Roo but she's not around at the moment so he was the next best thing.Actually, there's a case to be made that it should be Leah so hopefully they'll get a proper farewell next week.I do like Matt and Evelyn as a couple and think they're very natural together but...that last scene didn't really feel natural to me.We saw some of it in the promo and I'd convinced myself the proposal seemed natural, but then in the actual episode we find it's actually "Let's get married tomorrow" which just had me thinking "...What?!" It just doesn't feel like a natural progression.I know Evelyn tried it with Josh but they were already engaged and you'd think that would have put her off more than anything.Here, it just seems to have come out of nowhere.

I too believe John and Marilyn will stay. He's not half Puting poor Maz through a the paces is he. She's a people pleaser Marilyn do I feel she's definitely going along with it for Johns sake. I'm hoping ultimately he will realise she belongs in the bay and call it off because I don't think she would. 

Brody/Lena and drug gate. I just can't. It's ridiculous. 

I'm happy for Matt and Evie but I do agree the proposal was a bit left field. And she just thought about doing it tomorrow?! Just like that. Imagine if we all lived whirlwind lives like that haha. But at least it looks as though there exit will be a happy one 

Irene is really getting on my nerves.  First there was the suggestion of Luc staying permanently and then there was the way she got into Tori's head and made her believe Nate would be looking to have kids in the not too distant future.  So even though I haven't really liked Leah as of late I was glad that she put her foot down initially with regards to Irene having Luc and when VJ told her to stick her offer, I almost cheered.  It remains to be seen if things will remain amicable as I suspect despite not objecting when Leah asked Irene still not happy with the current arrangement.

I completely understood when Nate initially said he didn't want to have kids because I don't want kids ever either.  I think Nate came across quite well when he actually spoke to Tori about it.  He was honest eventually saying that it was because of Ricky but also said he was completely ruling it out and didn't know when he would be ready.  I will give him the benefit of the doubt and assume he was being genuine although I accept some guys in his position might lie because they want to have a relationship but will lead the person on because they have no intention of wanting kids.  Although given Tori's tendency to change her mind next week she might never want kids.

I can see why Brody employed Lena given her experience but the way she's conducted herself on her first day of working there shows his initial reluctance to want to take her on was justified.  In saying that even though she is a drug dealer/user I do quite like her personality.  She once again demonstrates the power of the puppy dog eyes.  Brody catches her doing drugs during a shift and he lets her continue working there.  I do agree with Mason in that it is Jeannie all over again especially given the way Brody was looking at her when she was serving customers.  To echo the other comments in that given the Morgan's backstory it's hard to find Brody taking drugs believable.  I don't have a problem with him sleeping with Lena though even though it's unprofessional.  I probably would have done the same if I was in his position.  Even though I suspect this isn't going to end well it's good to see Brody like this not being self-righteous although a shame the same can't be said for Justin.

Evelyn actually wants to marry Matt ASAP.  To reiterate what I mentioned previously she can't possibly be serious.  Only a few months ago Josh was the one.

Whilst I have found Alf getting annoyed with people in the past quite funny it's starting to feel tiresome.  Most of this week, it's felt like he's just been getting on his high horse.

Having missed over  a week won't get too bogged down in what has been happening.  I can kind of see why Patrick/Luke doesn't want his real identity known to everyone just yet, Ash is only just getting his head round it. Have to say he is pretty tasty!:wink:   Once I does come out, out of all the people in the bay Alf is the only one who can understand what he went through and probably still is with the PTSD, he kept his hidden for years.  he did say to Ash/Marty he did things he was ashamed of, maybe he killed innocent civilians believing they were working for the enemy or they were used as decoys wouldn't be the first time that has happened.

Really does seem a switcheroo for Brody suddenly deciding to take drugs, I'm not buying his 'I'm not taking them again' speech to Lena either. With their family history you would think he's have chucked her out the moment he found her using on her first day instead of buying her 'I'll not do it again' excuse. Yes OK he's under pressure as he wants to impress the reviewer but getting high is not the answer.  Going back to Mason's sudden decision he wasn't into her I think he got what her idea of 'fun' was when he walked her to her car before the party.

I did have the idea that now Matt is going to Vietnam with Evie and Ellie Hunter and Olivia could rent the Diner flat but then thought no it would be a bit weird seeing as that is where he lived with Charlotte and it wasn't exactly a happy time. Olivia moving into Hunter's van sounds a like a plan, certainly it would be cheaper, but would there be room for all of Olivia's clobber?

Not only has Evie and Matt's sudden decision to wed tomorrow (!?) come out of the blue there hasn't been actually been confirmation of them getting guardianship of Ellie, I'm guessing Aunty May had to be consulted.  Are we to take it it has all happened?

Well that wedding was very cute, if a little rushed. And after all that it wasn't really a real wedding, but bless em all the same. 

Mom glad Alfs ticking offs have got through to John, Marilyn clearly didn't want to go anywhere. I just hope it's not too late for them to pull out of that rental in the city!! 

Well Zacs come clean. I'm not sure I agreed with how he did it. But at least he told her face to face. Leah's under immense stress (and yes she's been impossible and pushed him away) but I fear this will push her over the edge. Interested to see how she responds tomorrow...

I admit it took me quite a while to get on board with the wedding. While we got an acknowledgement early on that they’re not actually getting married, I could have done with that being mentioned a few more times in the first half rather than everyone treating it like a real wedding. Fortunately, they did seem to be a bit more realistic in the second half but still, the whole thing feels rushed and unexplained, as though the show is so eager to tie Matt and Evelyn up in a nice neat bow that they’ve actually left a lot of important threads dangling. As H&Alover pointed out, the guardianship thing was just abandoned with the assumption that because Ellie agreed it will automatically happen. And now, what does this “symbolic wedding” actually mean? Are they going to have a legal service in Vietnam or have they decided that the ceremony’s enough and they don’t actually want to be legally married? It’s rather unsatisfactory. I’m not too bothered about the speed with which Evelyn’s moved on though. Soap characters in general and Evelyn in particular tend to do that: She moved very quickly from loving Josh to loving Tank and back again, and beside it does feel like this thing with Matt has been bubbling away since the days when she and Josh were virtual strangers.

Nice use of VJ, who is happy for them but nevertheless aware that he never really got a chance to be married. Justin mentions that Patrick is Ash’s brother in front of VJ and Matt, so I guess that’s common knowledge now. What was with Raffy taking the photographs? Is that her thing now?

I’m recalling that it was around this time last year that Zac disappeared off to jail for a few weeks and wondering if Charlie Clausen has something else at that time: Zac’s absence from the ceremony was obviously because he wasn’t around for the location scenes. Of course, he walks straight back to not only Leah being a cow but Matt being a jerk. I really hope Matt has to deal with some of the fall-out of this after his ill-judged interference. Fortunately, it looks like he will.

Again, I found Alf a selfish bully in the way he harangued John for what felt like his own sake rather than Marilyn’s, not wanting John to take her away from him. So it was frustrating that John’s reversal suggests that we’re somehow meant to think he was doing the right thing, and made it hard to accept his cuddly grandfather routine elsewhere.

Glad it wasn't just me thinking that about Alf and his insistence that John not take Marilyn away from the bay  was more down to him not wanting her to leave, although we know Maz would hate to live anywhere else. I did like the scene the other day between him and Matt, him being all gruff but sad Matt was going. Matt has I have to say has come a long way since we first saw him as the  Mangrove River skate boarding rebel, being blackmailed by Mad Monty.  He's grown into a responsible adult who has taken on the mantle of parent to Ellie.

Lovely ceremony, even if it wasn't the real thing, maybe as you said Red, they'll get married for real in Vietnam.  Must have been bitter sweet for VJ, happy for Evie and Matt but sad that he and Billie didn't get the chance to be husband and wife. I must have missed the bit where Justin let slip Patrick is Ash's brother, how come he found out/was told?   

Sweet moment when Zac gave Evie her parents wedding rings.

Leah didn't exactly welcome him home with open arms, maybe as has been mentioned before some part of her knows what happened between Zac and Sam. I can see why Matt didn't want him to tell Leah on Evie's 'wedding day' not wanting to spoil it. But on the other hand he has put it off for long enough, it was bite the bullet time.  It looks like instead of staying and thrashing it out with Zac she's running off to stay with her parents and thus leaving VJ to cope with Luc!  And yes it does appear Matt gets both barrels from Leah because he knew and didn't say anything to her, but it wasn't his secret to tell.

Archived