Latest UK Episode Discussion (2006-2017 Seasons)

liam99998204

I have some sympathy for Leah but I continue to feel more sorry for Zac, who may be the one that’s crossed the biggest line but who’s been used as an emotional punchbag by everyone for a long time and now they’ve finally got an excuse. Leah seemed to be looking for any opportunity to think the worst of him to the point of talking absolute nonsense with her pointless exhortation for him to go to Sam. While I’m glad we got a brief moment of her being upset with Matt, she’s quick to start blaming it all on Zac again, saying he shouldn’t have put Matt in “that position” while Matt keeps quiet about the fact that not only did he not tell her, he stopped Zac from telling her. At least Evelyn was understanding, but she’s gone now (probably) and I can’t see anyone else being on his side. I’m practically counting the episode until Alf starts berating him again. And how is Leah planning to keep this from VJ: Have Zac pretend he’s living there and then sneak out last thing at night?

If that was Matt and Evelyn’s last episode, it was a rather weak one. They got last moments with some of the relevant characters but there was no proper goodbye, their last scene was so anti-climactic I kept expecting them to appear again. Even VJ was kept apart from them despite being family and even with them being the last of that teen group left it felt there should have been some moment with their friends (Phoebe, Kat, Ash, Justin). In fact, not for the first time this season, I have to ask where was Hunter? That’s both his stepbrother’s and his cousin’s weddings that he’s missed and no explanation for either. At least we got a nice Raffy/Ellie scene. I don’t know, there are times when I feel like I want to like the Matt/Evelyn pairing more than I do. I think they work better when exchanging banter than when declaring that they love each other and they’re sooooo happy like they need to make a quota. But despite that, and despite my strongly disliking both of them in the not-too-distant past, I am glad they got a happy ending.

Not sure if it was brave or stupid of John to face up to the people who’d lost their homes but fortunately they received it in the spirit it was intended. VJ’s meltdown…In a way it’s been building for a while, in another it came out of nowhere because it doesn’t really feel like he’s constantly stressed. (He was fine in the previous episode, for instance.) It also seems like an abrupt turnaround for Leah to suddenly send Luc to stay with Irene, even though VJ flinging a cup like that was unquestionably dangerous, Luc could easily have ben hit by a shard. I actually rather would he dropped out of school because it doesn’t feel like he belongs there. (And he didn’t fail his HSC, he dropped out to concentrate on being a father…)

• Replies 14.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I must say, Leah seems to have acknowledged her behaviour during her conversation with itene when she broke down and I commend her for that. There's a few others that she needs to apologise to also. I feel for both Leah and Zac here, it's very hard to pick a side. I can't see her getting past this though. Luc going to Irene seems like a sensible decision for the time being. P.s. Anybody else think it's odd to have a baby in its own room so young? 

So Irene gets her way and it’s pretty clear she has no plans to hand Luc back, as Ash picked up on very quickly. I think her concern about Leah was genuine but I’m surprised Leah was so quick to blurt out stuff Irene could use against her. It felt like she was apologising to the wrong person and she seems to be one of those people who apologises and then carries on doing what she apologised for. I’m glad that Ash was looking out for VJ and still seems to recognise he has a connection to him through Billie. Where was Zac in all this though? Is he going to be staying at the house while Leah’s away?

I actually agreed with Brody having a go at Justin and Mason for messing about with food in front of customers but that’s as far as it goes. Once again, Brody’s actions aren’t very logical: Lena tells him the drugs will help him focus, but they actually have the opposite effect, making him erratic and easily distracted. I get the feeling Lena’s just saying what she needs to so he’ll take his next fix, I don’t even think she likes him so much as wanting to keeping tabs on him. (Free samples until he’s hooked, then she’s got a new customer?) Mason is the first to pick up on the possibility of Brody being on drugs, and despite his dismissal it clearly struck a chord with Justin, who goes looking for the evidence.

John gets his trial date. Well, he knew it was coming.

While I am not sure I buy Evie and Matt's rapid decision to wedding, I still thought it was cute. I have always liked Matt and Evie separately, and found they had good chemistry as friends. Yes, Evie has a tendency to get serious very quickly with boys, but I must say that Matt is a vast improvement on Josh and Tank. I was gutted that Zac missed the ceremony, but glad he managed to make it back to have a few touching scenes with Evie (I was starting to think the show had forgotten that these two were related). I am glad that Matt got his touching scene with Leah, but again, I hated the fact that Zac's infidelity meant that it was forgotten that Zac (not just in the context of Leah's partner) did a lot to help Matt as well, and so Matt and Zac's only interaction involves Matt condemning Zac. I am really sad to see Evie and Matt go, as there are few other characters left in the show that I actually like. I really grew to love their gang (Oscar, Maddie, Matt and Evie) so it is sad to see that they are now all gone. While it was rushed, I am just happy they both get a happy ending that they deserve. 

I really hate Zac's infidelity storyline, and though I don't ever excuse cheating, Zac is coming off a lot better than Leah. I feel like the infidelity was only there to cause a strain in their household. Otherwise, VJ and Leah shouldn't really be struggling as much as they have  if Irene can cope despite being  double Leah's age, managing to look after a newborn with little support (after all Olivia is moving out, and Nate is divided re his opinion of kids) while continuing to work in the diner. It is clear that Irene is not going to want to give Luc back, and with her already creating obstacles to Ash visiting Luc, I can see that we are heading towards a custody battle. I am afraid that Luc will end up with Ash (why else make VJ so short-tempered at the moment). I also surprised that between them Leah and VJ are giving Irene so much ammunition against them, despite the fact that they both feel threatened in terms of the connection to Luc.

Where is Hunter? He misses his cousin's wedding, is hardly being supportive to his half-brother, and seems oblivious to Zac's absence. I am not a fan of the guy, but surely, he should be around as more than just Olivia's boyfriend. Especially when his family are going through such life-changing events. 

It was an odd way that Matt, Evie and Ellie left, just Alf telling them when they were sitting on the beach that it was time to go, no-one waving them goodbye as is usual with other departures in the bay. 

I picked up on VJ not noticing Zac's absence, I know VJ is sleep depraved at the moment but he must be in  a trance not to realise Zac isn't sleeping at the house. Yes, it would be painful to talk about it, but she blew Zac out when he suggested it, it's not going to go away until they do and the reasons behind it. Leah finally spotted just how stressed VJ is when she walked in on him throwing the cup in Luc's direction.  If she is going to her parents and Irene is going to be looking after Luc who will be running the Diner?  Is Irene going to take Luc to work with her?  Initially I thought it was a good idea for her to take charge for a while, but she's quickly getting possessive over Luc as seen when Ash wanted to hold her and telling him to ring first before coming round, and when VJ feels able to take her back, that'll be the true test. I wondered that about Leah confessing all about Zac to Irene, I get she had to tell someone and Irene is her oldest friend, but as you said Red and Angelica she could use it to keep hold of Luc as she can claim  her old home isn't stable enough for  a baby. I liked the brotherly-in-law talk between Ash and VJ and he seemed to have got through to VJ that Billie wouldn't have wanted him to refuse help from others. They both agreed that forgiving John had helped them both to move on. I'm guessing 630si there is a baby alarm in Luc's nursery.  She did mentioned to Luc she'd got her up four times in the night.

Talking of John it was a brave decision of him to confront the families whose homes and livelihoods had been destroyed by his actions.  Everyone keeps telling him it wasn't his fault and on one level he knows that  but on another he knows it was still him that caused all that misery. So trial is in two weeks, any chance we'll be seeing Morag as his defence lawyer?

Doesn't Brody watch Masterchef, it's mentioned on there often enough that too many ingredients, too much flavouring can spoil an otherwise good dish, they confuse the palate. Less is more Brods. Yes, the drugs did lift his spirit but way too much leading him to insult the critic or reviewer as he called him. What was that cutting remark - 'Those that can do, those that can't review'. True he's not totally hooked yet, but he's on his way, Mason was on the ball though and got Justin worried enough to check Brody's bag.

I may be misremembering but I thought he and Olivia were at VJ and Billie's wedding, otherwise he hasn't had any contact with Zac either before he left or since he's been back.

9 hours ago, H&Alover said:

I may be misremembering but I thought he and Olivia were at VJ and Billie's wedding, otherwise he hasn't had any contact with Zac either before he left or since he's been back.

No, they were at Billie's funeral but otherwise they've been conspicuously absent.

So, turns out Brody is already buying drugs from Lena and, despite being sensible enough to keep them out of Salt (at least while Justin and Tori were there), he seems quite happy to go on doing so. I guess it shows how easy it is to get hooked, even though I’m still not convinced he would have taken them in the first place. Lena is obviously not letting the loss of her job get in the way of his custom. Tori instantly revealing the truth to Nate was a nice change from their usual secrecy. Will they tell the curiously absent Mason though?

Olivia and Hunter finally get a place…and it’s a dive. Well, at least that’s realistic, although again the wishes of the storyliners will decide whether they make a go of it or run screaming back to their families. (The owner’s obviously keen to offload it but can they really afford the rent? Or is it meant to be very cheap?) Loved Olivia’s brief moment of optimism thinking it was Number 8, only for Hunter to solemnly pick up the 2.

Patrick isn’t adjusting well to getting back in touch with the life he left behind and it’s clear it’s not just a case of slapping a new name on. Are DVDs really considered old school? Are all the cool kids watching downloads or something? And is Ash meant to be living at the farmhouse? Kat says “we” are moving out but if Evelyn’s gone and Phoebe’s with the Morgans then it’s just her…

Thanks for the reminder Red. Guess both occasions fell when they had done their three days.

Yes, he did let slip he'd been buying but only the twice, got to be pretty potent then if he's got hooked that quick. Lena's mate/customer, was pretty dumb to tell Brody and Justin she - Lena - had left something for her after being told it was her day off.  Brody getting hooked in his own time is one thing but selling drugs where he works is something else entirely, it's the families livelihood, it'd get shut down  and he could risk being banged up, very handy for Ranae Turner's cronies. Didn't see why Brody was so reluctant to fire her when he himself had told her one more time with the drugs and she was out. I'm wondering now just what she was up to in the two years  before she started uni. Despite his protests to Justin he'd stop he was soon on the phone to Lena wanting to meet.  Sensible idea of Tori, Justin and I guess Mason, seeing as it was him that alerted Justin and Brody in the first place, keeping an eye on him, but be subtle guys, if he susses it, he'll be even more secretive.  Funny how Mason keeps disappearing and reappearing.

That got me confused about Ash being at the farmhouse, from what he and Kat said I got the impression he was staying there otherwise it would be just Kat on her own. Although if he is why would Kat be worried abut having  a  virtual stranger staying there? It was good to see Ash/Marty and Luc/Patrick getting on better though sill not sure if it has been revealed they are brothers.  He did get very touchy about talking about his and Ash's childhood, especially the toy gun incident.  Liked Ash telling Kat she was acting like a cop when asking questions of Patrick.  Methinks though after seeing the way Patrick reacted to Ash's waking him up he was not an ordinary soldier out in Afghanistan, those reflexes were way too OTT, could he have been a member of whatever the equivalent there is of the SAS in Australia. We all know Ash can take care of himself, wouldn't have survived inside otherwise, but Patrick moved so quick and got him in that choke hold he didn't have time to defend himself. That's going to make Kat think twice about letting him stay though unless she startles him like Ash did I think she'd be safe. What's the betting Kat will do some digging into his past

I'm guessing as Hunter and Olivia weren't having luck with going through agents is the reason why they took the private route, hence the 'des-res' they got - a reputable agent wouldn't have gone near it.  Landlord has to be pretty canny, preying on people like Hunter and Olivia who can't get on the property ladder due to the fact they are first timers with no credit history. Knew it wouldn't end well when they told Nate that hadn't even seen it! Did I hear them tell Alf they had already signed up for it?  I'm guessing it is cheap another reason why they took it.   Neighbours obviously aren't bothered by the mess outside. Olivia got it half right about the inside, except it was aw ful rather than awe some!  Hate to think what the fridge looks like!

Alf’s episode count this week: Four, and it seems like that’ll be it for a while (must have been getting them in before his break). Mason was only in one.

Slightly thin episode with none of the storylines catching the attention that much. I’m still not really interested in Patrick and his unintrigung secret although Ash’s determination to hold onto the only family he’s got left, even though it’d probably be in everyone’s best interests to let Patrick go, is a decent hook to hang it on. Patrick seemed to be sleepwalking at the end, not clear if Kat was really in danger.

Nate is a douche for the second week running and it was slightly annoying to see Phoebe shrugging it off when Tori complained to her, even if he did apologise in the end. Phoebe was also typically self-centred getting them to cancel their breakfast plans to talk to her.

Hunter and Olivia were by turns amusing and annoying. I did enjoy their desperate and wholly unbelievable attempts to put a positive spin on the situation only to get thwarted at every turn (such as Olivia getting excited about the “creek”) but them both pretending to like it thinking that the other one did just made me roll my eyes. And the resolution was highly illogical, with the conversation basically going “I hate living here!”/“I hate living here too!”/“Let’s live here.”/“Okay.” Alf going to visit Sally? Nice for her to get a mention (no word on how Little Pippa is though…) but can’t help thinking this is partly because forthcoming events wouldn’t escalate with Alf there to keep an eye on things…

So the last 2 episodes have been really blah. The problem is that they have gotten rid of any characters with likeability or charisma, 

This Patrick storyline is so uninteresting - PTSD in itself can be an interesting topic but it is hard to care about a character that has been in the show for 2 seconds who only has links to one very one-dimensional character (Angry Ash), The addition of bland Kat to the mix doesn't help her storyline (surely it would have been much better to have this storyline while Billie was still alive). I spent all their scenes hoping that this was building up to some exit storyline for all 3 of them. 

I struggle to care about Hunter and Olivia anyway, but their storyline is even more incongruent when you take into account what is going on with their families. Even taking into account, that financially it is not the best time for them to be moving out, especially for Hunter if he wants to pass this year, it seems so selfish for them to be so oblivious to the needs of their families. I am not suggesting that they should put their lives on hold forever, but surely it might make more sense for them to have waited til Luc was a couple of months older (so they could help out a little until she sleeps through the night), and maybe Hunter, might actually want to be in close proximity to his half-brother who is mourning the loss of his new wife. And maybe it would make some sense for VJ and Hunter to be trying to help each other with the HSEs.

So Alf is visiting Sally. No mention if Pippa is OK. Again, it feels like this is conveniently happening now to allow the whole Luc situation to escalate. The promos already suggesting that Ash is losing patience (for a change!) with Irene. I am still wondering what set up of support Irene has - as if Leah is away, then someone needs to be running the diner, in which case, where is Luc?

Archived