Latest UK Episode Discussion (2006-2017 Seasons)

liam99998204

6 minutes ago, atrus said:

Hmm. Three weeks on, and I'm still watching (grudgingly, and only in concentrated bursts) - mainly to see what happens with Matt and Evie. And it looks like it's all decided now, which is great for the characters, and not so great for the viewers; they're one of the few likeable couples right now, so it's a pity they're going and all the 'meh' ones are staying. I was really pleased that they decided to become Ellie's legal guardians; if they really are going to Vietnam, and some horrific tragedy doesn't befall them in the interim, it will be a rare and deserved happy ending, which will also thankfully sidestep the horror scenario of them randomly hanging out with Matt's ex on a boat in Greece (which didn't sit right at all). I've resolved to stay tuned at least until they leave, and then assess the lie of the land again...

Billie's beach memorial service was OK, although to be honest happenings in the Bay have been so relentlessly grim lately - and for Billie, particularly so - that it more or less left me cold, and I was feeling something between grief fatigue and relief for her that the writers can't force her to endure any more. Meanwhile, we can add Ash to the growing list of Bay denizens in recent years (Kyle, Phoebe, Matt, Justin - I've probably missed some) who will happily belt out a serviceable tune in public when the plot demands it. I know a lot of actors are also trained singers, but that doesn't automatically mean their characters should be - and it's particularly jarring with trigger-happy macho archetypes like Ash.

I don't think the Pyro John story is remotely plausible but as ever with these things, the aftermath is far better than the main event. While anyone who was close to Billie gets a free pass to be temporarily mad at John, not only did his actions not cause her cancer - they also were objectively beyond his control. I'm glad Marilyn and Alf seemed to realise that straight away - and VJ's 'I forgive you' was easily the most moving scene I've seen on H&A in ages. I loved how he mentioned John being a second dad when Jett was around; and the tension between the two was something that could easily have been played for maximum aggro but, thank goodness, wasn't, as what we got was far better. That said, they're obviously holding back the aggro until Ash runs into John again, at which point, no doubt fists will fly. Though it hasn't explored them directly, the storyline raises some pretty big philosophical questions about blame and responsibility. A brain tumour is something we can easily attribute blame to while absolving the human being it inhabits, because it shows up on a scan as a discrete, concrete foreign body - but it leads me to wonder the extent to which other malign influences on human behaviour should equally be taken into account when apportioning blame: neglectful upbringing, perhaps, or early life trauma. Just because they're invisible, irreducibly complex and can't be excised with a scalpel, doesn't mean they're any less damaging to a person and influential on their actions than a tumour can be. Which leads me to wonder whether we should all be a bit quicker to forgive like VJ, and slower to 'do an Ash'. 

Anyhow, I'm surprised we descended into a ridiculous storyline about Ash's not-dead brother while he's still in the midst of grief over Billie and tension over Luc. For me at least, grief fatigue is being rapidly followed by Ash fatigue. And a big yawn from me at Ash and Kat being back together too - they really are on course to be the new Brax and Charlie, and no good can come from that.

Speaking of Luc - if I had to hazard a guess about where all this is going, I'd say that Ash is going to mount a custody challenge eventually. The telltale signs are clear; Ash has already mouthed off about Leah not being related to Luc, and we're repeatedly being told that Leah and VJ are struggling, despite Leah's long history as a capable single mother and the fact that she has a houseful of babysitters at her beck and call. VJ losing his temper with Luc is unlikely to be a one-off, and I suspect we'll see Leah and Zac's marriage finally fall apart just as it happens again, leading to Luc being neglected in some way and giving Ash - and/or, if things get really grim, an unenthusiastic Irene - an in-road into a bid for Luc's guardianship. Should that happen and DNA tests are taken, it's hard to imagine VJ would get to keep Luc. Agree with those who've been complaining about Leah's behaviour over the past few weeks; it's almost been as if she was psychic and knew Zac was about to do the dirty again. One minute she's berating him for being around and trying to help; the next minute she berates him for... not being around and not trying to help. It really was getting very wearisome, and though I don't condone him cheating, I can understand why he snapped.

Olivia and Hunter back together and already having new dramas - meh. Brody and Mason's antics with Recreational Drugs Lady - meh. Phoebe on the receiving end of another proposal - meh. I don't mind Justin and Phoebe as a couple, but it feels like they're retreading most of the ground she went over with Kyle and Ash.

And finally, the daily grind that is Nate and Tori. The entire arc with Dr O'Smarmy appeared to be nothing but filler - as not only was he proven to be evil and dispatched before anything of note had happened, but she's immediately back with Nate because - well, what else have the writers got to do with Tori and Nate, other than splitting them up, getting them back together again, and having them save their friends' lives every other day?

The Luc story is something I expect neighbours to do in the future and should have done awhile back. watched H&A  today differnent show yet the beach makes it worth the time as its one of my favorite spots in the world.

• Replies 14.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I find it interesting that before Mason found out that Lena was a drug dealer he didn't want to get involved with her because he was just out of a relationship with Olivia.  Almost like he didn't want to do to her what Olivia did to him.

I fully concur with Evelyn getting out the champers for her last night living with Phoebe.  Anyone would see that as a cause for celebration.  I have to admit I loved Justin telling Phoebe to stay out of it during their discussion about the drugs at Salt.

Thursday's episode emphasised for me why whilst I don't mind them in scenes with other characters collectively as a unit the Morgans are just dreadful IMO.  During their discussion about Lena bringing the drugs into Salt I found Brody and Justin incredibly self righteous.  To the point where despite not particularly liking him I feel quite sorry for Mason so I was glad he had a go at Brody later on.  As it does feel as though he can't do anything right.  I know what it's like when you have older brothers and because you are younger they will always see you as a kid think they know better and talk down to you.  I also hate whenever they talk about everything and Raffy comes in and they try to get rid of her or exclude her from the discussion.  However the scene with Brody and Lena I really liked.  It's amazing what an apology and the puppy dog eyes can do.  I also quite liked the brief chat with Mason and Olivia on the beach.

So now that Riley's out the way Nate appears to have gotten over Tori considering getting back with him.  Nate didn't actually say so but from his perspective the motorbike ride was a date.  Him telling her he loved her was almost cringeworthy.  At first I wasn't sure whether she just walked off after he said it or if she she politely excused herself.  But she actually ran off.  I did quite enjoy the chat with Phoebe and Tori about it.  I also liked the conversation with Nate and Justin.  I found it really hard to watch the scene where Nate told Tori he didn't mean it when he told her he loved her but I laughed when Justin started clapping sarcastically at Nate messing it up.  Although at least he wasn't annoyed with him.  So I'm assuming Tori does in fact love Nate or at least think she does.  So it would appear that she's changed her mind again.  He can't possibly think she's actually for real.  It Riley hadn't tried to screw Nate over things might have turned out very differently.  He's making a mistake getting serious like this given Tori's tendency to be fickle.

I find it funny how Justin and Phoebe both think their 'experts' on relationships.  Another cringeworthy moment when he got down on one knee and popped the question.  Didn't he learn anything from what happened before when she thought he was going to ask her to marry him or what just happened with Nate?  It's a shame Kyle isn't still around as he could have asked him for advice although at least Justin didn't do it in front of an audience.

One advantage of Olivia going to uni is that she has some hot new friends.  First Lena and the girl at the Diner.  I would prefer her not to be in a relationship with Hunter and I keep thinking in every scene it's the calm before the storm.  I actually find myself smiling through most of their scenes because it just feels as though Hunter is going out of his way to be reasonable and it feels unnatural.  And they seem to be getting on quite well relatively speaking.

Whilst I fully support Evelyn going abroad to teach I think it's a bit soon to want to apply to be Ellie's guardian.  It's only been around a few months since Josh was the love of her life.  Although given that she's lost most of hers I can see the importance of family to her.

So, the show keeps Irene and Olivia apart until after she wants to move in with Hunter, so Irene can object to that rather than the idea of them dating at all.Was Irene's comment that Olivia's one of the most intelligent people she's had living with her meant to be taken seriously?Because her choice of boyfriend, and just about every other choice she's made, suggests she's anything but.Anyway, it's little more than a token objection, with both Irene and Leah rolling over straightaway.In real life, Alf's comment about them getting a dose of reality would probably work.But in this show, if someone's decided they're the new golden couple, then them living together will work out despite all logic insisting it should be a disaster.

VJ's back struggling and Irene's attempts to help out just make him feel inadequate.Irene's behaviour towards Luc has been taking an increasingly worrying turn with the way she talks about her verging on creepy.I get the feeling she's somehow seeing Luc as a substitute for the child she had taken away from her: Mick wasn't what she hoped he'd be, so she's focusing on his daughter in a way that's rather unhealthy.But to be honest, the whole thing's so on-the-nose that I just find it annoying.Standard explanation about the baby picking up on tension aside, there doesn't seem to be any reason for Luc to refuse to settle with VJ and be an angel with Irene (to the point of starting to act up the minute he takes her out of Irene's house), except that that's what the storyline insists has to happen.

Justin and Phoebe...Well, nothing really happened that we couldn't have predicted from seeing the promos or even without seeing them.Even the light-heartedness prompted by the opening scene of Phoebe locking herself in the bedroom never really materialised.

"She's going to be a nightmare to work with today" - I would have thought Phoebe would have been a nightmare to work with most days.  Further to what I mentioned in my last post about Justin's proposal I think the fact that he was considering breaking up with her just because she walked off and that Phoebe actually agreed to marry him because she ran out of reasons to say no shows IMO this is probably a mistake.  Oh well, it's their funeral.

Oh dear.  VJ really is struggling.  The problem is I can't see the situation improving and I wonder if he's had enough.    The shaking of the cot was bad but I don't really want to blame him because he's in a very difficult position.  I can also understand him leaving Luc alone to cry.  In saying that I liked the scene where Leah was talking to him afterwards.  I often like those scenes with Leah and VJ where she's sitting down with him being sympathetic towards him and being there as his mother.  I appreciated that she told him he was doing a wonderful job because that's what mothers do but she seems to be ignoring the fact that he's at the point of giving up and should be trying to deal with it rather than brushing this off as a momentary lapse in judgement.  Although I didn't like that he failed to mention to Leah that he shook Luc's cot but went and told Irene.

Irene is seriously getting on my nerves. I think it was obvious pretty early on that she just wanted Luc all to herself.  For the reasons as mentioned in this thread previously i.e. replacement for losing the baby and as she mentioned herself to make up for what Mick did to Billie.  I wasn't sure at first whether she was genuinely concerned for VJ or whether she was simply taking advantage of the situation.  Perhaps it was both.  But I really didn't like the scene at the end of the episode when she told Leah about what VJ did and suggested that Luc stay with her permanently.

I found it funny Hunter initially thought the letting agencies turning him and Olivia down was a tactic to try and get more rent.  Looking at it from their point of view why would they possible want to let a property out to them.  Even without Alf bringing up the utility bills you can see they would struggle to pay.  That scene with Kat I dunno felt kind of weird given the number of times she's had him up at the station.  If this wasn't a soap she probably wouldn't even associate with him.  Anyway I thought she was actually very diplomatic.  I assumed their applications were refused because it was deemed they were too high a risk and wouldn't be able to make the payments.  Presumably the agencies wouldn't have been able to do a criminal check without his permission and Hunter seemed oblivious as to why they kept getting turned down.  So I would assume he didn't agree to anything unless Olivia did all the paperwork and Hunter just signed it without reading the fine print.  If they did know about his criminal record I wonder if they would have turned him down because of his financial status or if they were worried he would burn the property down.  She annoyed me when she told him not to drop any crumbs in the bed.  Firstly it's his place and secondly she was eating on the bed as well.

Well, I was up and down with Irene until finally deciding that yes, she’s behaving like a vulture. She pretty much seemed to be stalking VJ at times, then once she’s got an admission out of him, she paints the worst possible picture to Leah and makes out that he might hurt Luc. I think Leah’s assessment is right, that VJ’s just feeling the doubts of any new parent and thinking that he’s the only person that’s ever felt like that. Nice to see Alf on his side as well. So I was quite glad to see all the characters queuing up to have a go at Irene: Neither Leah nor VJ are keen to give Luc up, and her attempt to get Ash onside with a cloying “Oh, I’m so concerned about VJ…” blew up in her face as well. And that’s their three episodes, so truce until next week.

So things aren’t plain sailing for Hunter and Olivia so far. Even without Hunter’s criminal record (which I’d actually forgotten about, so good that the show didn’t), two teenagers who are still in education and don’t have full-time jobs (I’m not even sure Hunter has a job unless he’s still meant to be helping out at the bait shop) aren’t going to be anyone’s ideal tenant. Mind you, given that the caravan is already their private sex house, Olivia might as well just move in there.

And Justin and Phoebe get engaged after all. Part of me thinks Phoebe only agreed to please Justin, part of me thinks “Well, so what?” if she’s serious about staying with him forever. Irene managed to annoy me again with her baby-obsessed chat to Tori, which has thrown another spanner in her relationship works. Not sure why Nate’s suddenly anti-baby. Maybe lingering feelings about losing Casey. Maybe he’s just a douche.

Ash manhandling John made me regret yet again that Billie stopped him doing the same to Hunter who actually deserved it, and gave me another reason to wish she was still around. I kind of appreciate Alf going to bat for John, although part of me thinks it was a bit premature when he’s still up on criminal charges. Patrick still seems to mostly exist to give Ash someone else to talk to and, judging by the promo, to be given the scenes they used to give to Billie. (So why not just keep Billie around?! Okay, I’m dropping it…)

6 minutes ago, Red Ranger 1 said:

Not sure why Nate’s suddenly anti-baby. Maybe lingering feelings about losing Casey. Maybe he’s just a douche.

:lol: There's no maybe about it Nate is a douche :D

18 minutes ago, pembie said:

:lol: There's no maybe about it Nate is a douche :D

I'm actually starting to think that Home and Away character development is about making the viewers detest characters they liked when the arrived by the time they inevitably leave or take characters that were detested on arrival and make us like them.

I have got to say - so far, I have found this week quite a drag so far. And I felt a lot of the characters were quite off

Firstly, we have this whole Luc custody battle. I feel for VJ - he is clearly struggling with looking after Luc. I think he is feeling added pressure because he wants to keep his promise to Billie, but at the same time, is aware that not being Luc's biological father, his position is vulnerable. Which is why I found it hard to believe that VJ would choose to confide in Irene over Leah about his breakdown. irene has really turned unlikeable and a proper vulture - the fact that she would choose to try to get volatile criminal Ash on her side, shows poor judgement on her side.It is clear that we will be heading towards a legal custody battle - which means that either Irene or even worse, Ash will get Luc. Surely, this must be part of the motivation for causing such a rift between Zac and Leah. Cause otherwise it makes no sense for Zac to be absent while his own son, and his stepson are struggling for different reasons, and his niece is planning a big move. The only good thing about a potential battle would be the return of Morag.

This Luke storyline is tedious. I am so sick of volatile angry Ash walking around punching everything in sight. He makes Braxton and Heath look level headed in comparison. Which is a shame, because when he first joined the show, he seemed to be better than that - like he was meant to be the new Casey and not the new Heath. Killing off Billie was a mistake when it came to his character, as he feels disconnected from the rest of the bay. His relationship with Kat is doing neither of them any favours. 

As for Tori/Nate storyline, I struggle to care. I may not be particularly a fan of Nate. But his emphatic anti-childen statement seems inconsistent with his characterisation so far in the show. He was devoted to Casey even after knowing he wasn't his. And surely that was one of the reasons that Ricky's hysterectomy was a big deal - because as long as they stayed together, he couldn't have his own.

16 hours ago, c120701 said:

I'm actually starting to think that Home and Away character development is about making the viewers detest characters they liked when the arrived by the time they inevitably leave or take characters that were detested on arrival and make us like them.

That opposite of what Neighbours and others do.

6 hours ago, samdanfan said:

That opposite of what Neighbours and others do.

No, more like exactly the same as what Neighbours and others do.Soap Characterisation 101: Introduce sparky lively likable characters and then grind them down until the audience find them dull and depressing.

Anyway! It seemed like a very strange creative decision to end an episode with a violent confrontation, then bury it in the middle of the recap and not bother showing the resolution.Are we to assume that Ash got bored and went away?Patrick becomes the second person to puncture this "John killed Billie" nonsense by arguing that she'd have been dead within days either way, the fire was very much a secondary concern. Still, it was nice to see Billie living on in spirit as Ash is reminded of the sort of person she was and how she wouldn't want him to waste his time hating a man for something he had no control over.It's not doing much for John's own guilt though, perhaps in a way it helped that he had an external mirror for it.I'm inclined on balance to think that leaving town would be a bad idea, trying to slap a sticking plaster on his pain rather than actually deal with it.

Well at least we got an acknowledgement of Nate's reasons for acting this way and it would make sense that he'd be scared of going there again.He still manages a few douchey moments though, notably his pointlessly dubbing Tori expressing her feelings as an "ultimatum".

Pretty much nothing Brody did here rang true.Last week he was against Mason hanging out with Lena once he found out she was into drugs, plus as he actually points out drugs got his parents killed and messed up his family for years.Yet here he goes from mistrusting Lena to giving her a job to finding her taking drugs at work to telling her not to do it again to turning a blind eye to the fact she was clearly on something to contemplating taking some himself (cos that's going to help him think better?), without any of it really feeling like a natural progression.Obviously he's got a weakness for mildly attractive blondes with different lifestyles.

Archived