The Book Thread

MarMar

• Replies 1.8k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I have just finished reading Man And Boy by Tony Parsons.

I thought it was interesting. I also found out that the book was turned into a film by the BBC and am thinking about watching it if I can find it.

Was it the movie About a Boy? :unsure: I absolutely loved that movie :) but I might be totally wrong :unsure: as I've never read Man and Boy.

Oh, I've been planning on reading that since I was like 11 or something :P Is it any good?

I've been planning on reading this book for a long time too! Now I'm actually finished! I really don't remember that much from the beginning. The book got really boring at one moment so I just stopped reading it for a while. :P Anyway, I think it was very well written, it was different from other books I've been reading, I think. It was easy to read because the story was great, and it was written in a way that gives us much details without making it boring though (if you understand)! The fact that LSC has used real happenings (like the Vietnam War and the landing on the moon) in his story makes it more real and credible.

And I liked the characters! They develop a lot! They are like 14 years in the beginning and in the end the main character is 21. I think you should read it Eli, especially since you have planned it for so long. It didn’t let me down! :wink:

I’m going to read “Idas dans”. I will maybe get a chance to go to the library tomorrow and then start reading during the weekend. I love it when someone has read a good book and tells it to me. I remember a teacher I had once; she really liked to read books and told the class about so many good books. We wrote in a little book about the book we were reading and she wrote questions and comments back! I miss that a lot!

• 3 weeks later...

I've started listening to an audio-book of Cecily Van Ziegesar's Gossip Girl. I'm one fifth of the way through. The narrator does a great Valley Girl accent, but some of her other voice renditions are really painful to listen to. Also, some of the images are kind of cringe-inducing when read out loud to you, specifically the "parting the Red Sea" reference. The story's getting interesting, though.

I have loads of books on my To Read list but picked up To Kill A Mocking Bird because an online book forum was reviewing it.

I found it hard to get into the book at first but I got to a certain point where I just got completely engrossed. I loved the way it was written through the eyes of a young girl but my favourite part was that there were 2 plots in the book, even though only 1 is advertised. I loved the whole Boo Radley connection and almost cried when Scout realized who had helped her and Jem!

I also had the pleasure of watching the 1962 movie version. They completely missed the point of the book, taking away the young girls POV and rushing through everything. It's a shame.

I am now reading Sickened by Julie Gregory.

I've started listening to an audio-book of Cecily Van Ziegesar's Gossip Girl. I'm one fifth of the way through. The narrator does a great Valley Girl accent, but some of her other voice renditions are really painful to listen to. Also, some of the images are kind of cringe-inducing when read out loud to you, specifically the "parting the Red Sea" reference. The story's getting interesting, though.

Is that the book that the fairly new US series Gossip Girl is based on? :unsure: Or am I talking nonsense here?

I have just finished reading Man And Boy by Tony Parsons.

I thought it was interesting. I also found out that the book was turned into a film by the BBC and am thinking about watching it if I can find it.

Was it the movie About a Boy? unsure.gif I absolutely loved that movie smile.gif but I might be totally wrong unsure.gif as I've never read Man and Boy.

^^I watched the film adaptation of Man And Boy. It was good but not as good as the book.

Is About A Boy the one Starring Hugh Grant?

Is that the book that the fairly new US series Gossip Girl is based on? :unsure: Or am I talking nonsense here?

Was it the movie About a Boy? unsure.gif I absolutely loved that movie smile.gif but I might be totally wrong unsure.gif as I've never read Man and Boy.

Is About A Boy the one Starring Hugh Grant?

Yes, Gossip Girl the TV series is based on the book series.

Yes, About A Boy starred Hugh Grant, as well as Toni Collette and Rachel Weisz. But as I mentioned earlier, it has nothing to do with Man and Boy.

Archived