The Book Thread

MarMar

Salem Falls by Jodi Picoult.

It was the first book I've read by her and wasnt expecting it to be great, but I couldnt put it down until I had finished. I would recommend it, but perhaps the more mature readers would enjoy it more, but that's just my opinion.

She does make you think about the issues that the touches up on.

I certainly plan on reading more of her books.

• Replies 1.8k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Salem Falls by Jodi Picoult.

It was the first book I've read by her and wasnt expecting it to be great, but I couldnt put it down until I had finished. I would recommend it, but perhaps the more mature readers would enjoy it more, but that's just my opinion.

She does make you think about the issues that the touches up on.

I certainly plan on reading more of her books.

Ohhh I read her books too, and that was also the first one I read! :lol:. Such an amazing book. Probably one of my fave books ever!

I'm currently reading Mercy by her too. It's the 9th of hers I read. And personally, my least favouite. :lol:

• 4 weeks later...

I first brought Salem Falls about ...*counts*.... six months ago, and only just finished reading it last month (I get distracted easily :ph34r:) . It was a good read. But I prefer My sister's Keeper . Nevertheless the book is fantastic and I would recommend it. :)

I also finished reading The Kite Runner which I thought was brilliant. Easily one of my favorite. I manged to see the film recently too. Does it beat the book? Nope - it does however, unlike most adaptations, do the book justice.

At the moment I'm reading The Impressionist by Hari Kunzru. So far so good. I just ordered Second Glance by Jodi Picoult and Becoming Madame Mao by Anchee Min from Amazon. I couldn't resist. I go crazy when I log on to Amazon. You don't want to see me in Waterstones. :P

I finished Mercy by Jodi a few weeks ago. It took me 4 months, which is an awful lot longer than her others did. I totally couldn't get into it. So I decided to wait before starting another. And then about 3 days ago, I started nineteen minutes, also by her. Have to say, it's shaping up to be another good one. Looks like Mercy could just be a case of 'Not to my personal liking'. But, in a way, I'm glad to finally have read one by her that I'm not keen on.....

I also have Second Glance, which my brother bought me. That'll be a while though. As I have NM yet.... :lol:

I first brought Salem Falls about ...*counts*.... six months ago, and only just finished reading it last month (I get distracted easily :ph34r:) . It was a good read. But I prefer My sister's Keeper . Nevertheless the book is fantastic and I would recommend it. :)

I also finished reading The Kite Runner which I thought was brilliant. Easily one of my favorite. I manged to see the film recently too. Does it beat the book? Nope - it does however, unlike most adaptations, do the book justice.

At the moment I'm reading The Impressionist by Hari Kunzru. So far so good. I just ordered Second Glance by Jodi Picoult and Becoming Madame Mao by Anchee Min from Amazon. I couldn't resist. I go crazy when I log on to Amazon. You don't want to see me in Waterstones. :P

Ooh, I got The Kite Runner for Christmas! It was recommended to me when I did a speech on a graffiti artist who'd stencilled children holding balloons on the ruins around in Beirut. I've not read it yet, though.

I'm halfway through Bryce Courtenay's The Persimmon Tree, and also recently finished The Life of Pi which was fantastic, and Ben Elton's new novel, Blind Faith which was hilarious and really topical to today's society.

Now I’m reading Dumb Witness by Agatha Christie

I love Agatha Christie’s books, but she makes it a bit too difficult guessing the murderer. It seems like she has just put all the names of the characters in a hat and pulled out a name and then that person would be the murderer :lol: It would be much more fun if it was clues along the way, but it was difficult to find them. Then it would have been possible, but difficult and I like it that way ^_^

Now I’m reading Dumb Witness by Agatha Christie

I love Agatha Christie’s books, but she makes it a bit too difficult guessing the murderer. It seems like she has just put all the names of the characters in a hat and pulled out a name and then that person would be the murderer :lol: It would be much more fun if it was clues along the way, but it was difficult to find them. Then it would have been possible, but difficult and I like it that way ^_^

Yeah, it's always the person you least suspect. But with a few of them you can re-read it and find clues that you didn't recognise the first time, and wonder why it wasn't obvious before. Sad Cypress is a great example of that.

Archived