The Book Thread

MarMar

• Replies 1.8k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I've just read The Pact and I'm now reading My Sister's Keeper. I really hope that this book isn't as sad as the last one, but I've been told it is. :(

Lol, My Sister's Keeper is just as sad, if not more, IMO. But they're my two favourite books.

I've just read The Pact and I'm now reading My Sister's Keeper. I really hope that this book isn't as sad as the last one, but I've been told it is. :(

Jess, I'm sorry to tell you that it is as sad as people are telling you. I bawled.

"Down To This": by Shaugnessy Bishop-Stall.

Summary: In November 2001, 27 year old Shaughnessy Bishop-Stall packed his life in a

bag - complete with tent, notebooks, pen and a broken heart - and set out to spend a year in Tent City, the largest homeless settlement in North America. When he arrives, he finds an anarchic community of fugitives, drug addicts, prostitutes, dealers and ex-cons, a society where the rules are made up nightly and your life depends on knowing them.

It's quite interesting...so far. I recommend it. Its kind of a memoir.

I won't spoil it for you, but that one was actually my favourite from all the ones I've read so far. I absolutely loved it. It was so beautifully written and well handled.

Lol, My Sister's Keeper is just as sad, if not more, IMO. But they're my two favourite books.

Jess, I'm sorry to tell you that it is as sad as people are telling you. I bawled.

Argh, so it doesn't look like I'm in for a very happy read, then?!

As long as it's good. I'll let you know what I think of it. :)

• 3 weeks later...

I've just finished My Sister's Keeper.

Spoilers ahead for those who haven't read it, so I'll put it in spoiler tags just in case you don't want to be spoiled.

Am I the only one who found it rather amusing that Alexander's dog, Judge, was actually to help him in case he had an epileptic fit? After all the rubbish he fed people about him and then he goes and has a fit in the middle of the courtroom! Talk about courtroom drama... But him and Julia getting married was major cuteness. You could tell from the first time they met that there was still unresolved tension and chemistry there, but I never, in a million years, expected them to get married. The way that they had a kind of love-hate relationship going on with all the tension, I expected them just to be happily settled as boyfriend and girlfriend by the end of the novel. I dunno, I guess marriage just seems to be too "final" for a couple who, I personally, was never sure if they'd end up together over the course of the book. I also liked how the wedding was explained in Kate's epilogue and how she acknowledged that they had found it hard to keep in contact with the couple because of the space left by Anna (how cool a name is Andromeda, by the way?!). It was very true to life. In these kinds of situations, people either cling to each other in a desperate hope to keep the dead person "alive", or they go their separate ways because it's just too awkward.

Which brings me to the point of, why did Anna have to die?! I get that there was the ironic factor, and the shock twist, and I guess it made the story more valid and poignant because the ill sister survived, but I felt so bad. After all the hard work that everyone had put in to get Anna's point of view heard and then she's wiped out - just like that. Although, it was very realistic because that's how it happens in real life; you don't get the chance to say goodbye, really. Sara and Brian were just left with Anna's empty shell.

Ooh, yeah, I also loved how Jesse was the one to bring in the story's title by saying, "What am I? My Sister's Keeper?" It was very clever.

So, yeah, sorry to bore you all with an English essay there!

All I'll say is that I definately recommend Jodi Picoult if you're a fairly mature reader and like books that make you think (and cry) a lot.

Has anyone got any recommendations as to which of her books I should go onto next? I've only read this one and The Pact. I saw The Tenth Circle in WHSmith, but I'd just like some advice.

Archived