Does H&A need an overhaul at the moment?

adam436

6 minutes ago, Skylover said:

I wonder if they genuinely think the stuff with Marilyn's daughter is good? Are they really that stupid? Lucy Addario will never go, she seems content there and is happy keeping the network bosses happy with whatever she's doing.

It puzzles me because 7 are really conservative when it comes to things like Joey kissing Charlie Buckton or Martha pole dancing but when it comes to gangs and shirtless guys it’s perfectly fine? Hypocrites 

• Like 2

9 hours ago, Bobby Forever Missed said:

i don't watch and haven't for the last 10 years but i do see the odd spoiler and people tell me about it, the Heather stuff was pathetic IMO and ruined a long standing character in Maz H&A is done in my mind unless Lucy leaves which i can't see

100% agreed. Marilyn was one of the last characters this should have been done to given her desire to have a baby has always been a massive part of her character. Even in her 2010 return. It's so integral to her character. It's just beyond bad that she had a kid 27 years ago she just abandoned. 

1 hour ago, Skylover said:

I wonder if they genuinely think the stuff with Marilyn's daughter is good? Are they really that stupid? Lucy Addario will never go, she seems content there and is happy keeping the network bosses happy with whatever she's doing.

I don't think "is this good writing" crossed their minds...ever. I think the logic is "what will make exciting drama"...and a long lost offspring is a typical soap device. They know it doesn't make sense and don't care to, same with the Martha retcon, so dance around the details. Again, I don't think it being well written crossed their minds bit if it's exciting and will bring viewers in. It can be exciting and make sense, and I've discussed previously how the Heather storyline could still happen and make sense without being Marilyn's child but want revenge on her for another reason.

• Like 2

4 hours ago, hapitoby said:

I don't think "is this good writing" crossed their minds...ever. I think the logic is "what will make exciting drama"...and a long lost offspring is a typical soap device. They know it doesn't make sense and don't care to, same with the Martha retcon, so dance around the details. Again, I don't think it being well written crossed their minds bit if it's exciting and will bring viewers in. It can be exciting and make sense, and I've discussed previously how the Heather storyline could still happen and make sense without being Marilyn's child but want revenge on her for another reason.

Are viewers dumb enough to want to tune in for that though? The Marilyn storyline was the straw that broke the camel's back. I don't think I'll ever watch the show again now. I just feel sorry for the poor actors. The producers need to be fired.

• Like 1

7 hours ago, Skylover said:

Are viewers dumb enough to want to tune in for that though? The Marilyn storyline was the straw that broke the camel's back. I don't think I'll ever watch the show again now. I just feel sorry for the poor actors. The producers need to be fired.

I 100% agree. I got very close to switching off. I didn't watch consistently this year and would go weeks without watching it. I was looking forward to the final as the show was ending for the year so ended up watching up till then. I'll give it a go next year and as long as its not as bad as this year, I'll stick with a bit longer. Rewatching the eps on 7+ is very nostalgia but also reminds of when the show was much better written. The current producers need to go big time.

And good question about the viewers. I don't think many would have been on teh edge of their seats. I think the main people that would enjoy it are new fans or just passive fans. While it annoyed me I did somewhat enjoy it -mainly due to how ridiculous and OTT it was- not because it was good writing lol

• Like 1

I know the late 1990s was a bit lacklustre especially with Pippa going and in 2000 we lost Ailsa but the show still stuck to Alan Bateman's original vision. 2004 was the last good year I think.

Since 2011 it has been as far from Alan Bateman's original vision as you can get.

Edited by Homeandawayfan.

Yes it needs one hell of a major overhaul, Channel 7 need to step in and make some changes to make this great soap "Great" again. Alan Bateman would not like what has become of it it has strayed way too much away from its roots we don't see any foster kids anymore let alone foster families.

Edited by Irishbraxton
  • Like 3

Home and Away in 2023 is so different to the series I grew up with in the 90s, I can't see any way back to the era of foster kids. At this stage, you'd need a reboot of the original show rather than an evolution of the current one. It's never going to happen but it'd be fun to have a 2nd Home and Away series aimed at a younger audience. The current show is fine for what it is. It looks great, it's very slick and there's a settled cast. But it lacks the rawness of the 80s and 90s, brought about by the young cast and perhaps the limited budget they had. 

• Like 1

It just doesn't feel like proper Home and Away anymore, no Summer Bay High and no teens is the problem, the high school and the teens are what made the show, they need to be reintroduced because obviously this new direction focusing on 20"s/30's is making the show unrecognisable.

Edited by Irishbraxton
  • Like 3

17 hours ago, Homeandawayfan. said:

Coronation Street is another soap that is going the same way as H&A, totally deviating from its roots.

No joke. Seems like there's no consequences (Rick/Gary even if the former had it coming) any more or they come too late. Max slithering out of things that would have got anyone else  arrested (WGAFF if he's "only" 16) is also grating and Stephen seems to be the biggest bugbear for a lot of folk.

12 hours ago, Irishbraxton said:

It just doesn't feel like proper Home and Away anymore No Summer Bay High and no teens is the problem, the high school amd the teens are what made the show they need to be reintroduced because obviously this new direction focusing on 20"s/30's is making the show unrecognisable.

I would like a return to school scenes for realism only if it's once a week or at least stick the extras in Uniform and front like it still exists.

• Like 1