Will H&A: The Early Years ever return?

Skylover

Yes 1988 in the first few months was uneven, and at times it did feel like Top of the Pops with Stevo, Frank, Chico and the band storyline.

Alan Bateman spent a long time fleshing out H&A before it started filming in mid 1987, and he had to push forward with the creation in late 1986, as I think H&A was only originally supposed to be a 20 episode series about Tom and Pippa and the fostering, but they needed a replacement for Neighbours, and Sons & Daughters. So H&A became the new teen orientated soap that breezed onto Australia screens in January 1988 with the pilot first then the regular 5 day a week series.

On 11/12/2023 at 15:10, early years fan said:

the only light hearted relief comes from Martin and Lance.

I disagree. The Fletcher and Stewart families were largely serious in the early years, but the supporting townsfolk provided some comic relief.

Floss and Neville were largely comedy characters, apart from the storyline with their son. Celia had a tragic past, but she too was largely a comic character with her gossiping and prudish nature making her the butt of many pranks by the younger characters.

All of five of these characters were gone by early 1990, which I think was when the show became more serious. The only comedy characters were Marilyn and Adam, and I can't say I was ever really a fan of the latter. He felt like an inferior version of Martin.

I'm actually finding myself laughing at many of the Donald and Bobby scenes too. Their reactions and oneliners to each other are just gold. I'm only up to the episodes where is checking all her exam papers, but the chemistry between Norman and Nicolle is great! 

They did bring in some comedy in 1994 but the writers probably felt it was not working so hence why 1995 was when they decided to ramp up the pace and bring in more drama and ominous storylines and ominous tones. Which is why by late 1996 I only watched H&A on a semi regular basis due to the darkened down tone. It made EastEnders look cheery, although EE never had the ominous music or a constant ominous tone. Neighbours and Emmerdale also ramped up the drama but kept the comic tone and right balance unlike H&A. The introduction of the legendary Dingles in ED and Kennedys in Neighbs in 1994 started a new long running era for the 2 shows.

Edited by Homeandawayfan.