2022 Season - UK Episode Discussion

Dan F

20 hours ago, Dan F said:

I don't know of anything with the same tune (unlike the one Tane sang in the garden last year), but it's a folk song called 'Tiaho Mai Rā'

https://folksong.org.nz/tiaho_mai_ra/index.html

Thank you so, so much!

26 minutes ago, LD43 said:

I don't know much about Maori tradition, so couldn't answer in this way. However, I thought that Mia walking into the sea was in reference to Ari wanting to be on the beach with his feet in the water right before he died.

Agreed, I thought so too.

• Replies 949
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Mammoth catchup of 4 eps. Easter and that

Service and Haka were done well. Deserve any Director/Writer award.??

Guess Irene's been watching too many House of Trouser era eps of Neighbours where Toadie, Connor and Stuart would just be chilling in their drawers, with her suggestion of everyone walking around in their underwear til Cash gets comfortable!?

It’s been nice seeing people come together for the Paratas, but otherwise the Bay seems really disjointed at the moment. I don’t know if it’s COVID but everyone seems to be in their own little bubbles. More and more I feel like you could take characters out of the show and you wouldn’t really notice. 

10 hours ago, H&Alover said:

I didn't think Mia was out of line by not wanting to watch the video that had been put together

I was wondering where Chloe pitched up to, though I didn't think Bella had moved back in the Farmhouse, hadn't she moved out when Karen moved in?  It didn't look like the Farmhouse front door.?

She wasn't out of line not wanting to watch the video, that's entirely down to her. She was, in my opinion, out of line for yelling at Theo and Ryder for making it. No, Bella never moved out of the farmhouse, we saw her there with Karen at least once. I think she stayed over at Nikau's a few times to give them space.

Well. Main takeaway from the video today is that we've now heard both Irene and Roo define Ari solely by his relationship with Mia, which is a bit of a slap in the face to everyone else in his life, including Mackenzie here.Way to twist that knife.It's starting to feel as though, having made it through everything with Neve, Mackenzie and Logan are on the verge of splitting up.

It was rather amusing seeing Felicity so busy laughing her head off at people asking her for advice that she forgot to actually give any advice, although at least she gave Cash something to think about.Certainly more than Irene, who's laying down of the law with Cash was more likely to make him even more uncomfortable than make him feel at home.

I know you won't like my answer as you aren't a Mia fan,  but she is grieving so maybe looks on the video messages as an invasion of her privacy.  Theo and Ryder just happened to the ones to get full force of her anger and I repeat Justin & Alf had warned them it could be too soon. 

I thought I heard Ziggy say to Dean about not telling Bella that Karen had gone to give them a night or two alone?  

Belated congratulations from Mac on hearing Ryder had passed his TAFE course.  

That was really overdoing the Ari & Mia relationship, you would have thought Roo  and Irene  would have known better, were they both suffering from selective memory loss or had they forgotten how broken up Mac was when she and Ari split then lost his baby.   That would have been a real slap in the face for her, especially seeing it without warning. Logan's not so subtle getting Ryder to keep an eye on her didn't work so well. Of course that 'old' cliche came out "I'm fine", ?  I thought, unless Mac is a lot better actress than we thought, had reconciled with Ari and Mia and had made her peace and was able to talk to them both with genuine friendship.  Logan could have hit it on the head when he said Mac was still in love with Ari. 

That must have really tickled Flick that after all these years of being the little sister and where big brother made all the decisions now he's asking her for advice.  Would things have been easier for him  if it had just been Jasmine and Cash living together on their own rather than at Irene's?  All these years it had just been him and Flick so two of them, now it's three.   I didn't see Irene laying down the law, she's always been very reasonable and she has had plenty of guys through those doors - meant in the best possible way of course. 

Some serious scenes there with Theo and Justin and actually at the garage!!!!  Theo was being very tentative talking about his dad and not giving much away. 

8 hours ago, H&Alover said:

That was really overdoing the Ari & Mia relationship, you would have thought Roo  and Irene  would have known better, were they both suffering from selective memory loss or had they forgotten how broken up Mac was when she and Ari split then lost his baby.   That would have been a real slap in the face for her, especially seeing it without warning. 

In all fairness to Roo and Irene, the video was a private link for the Paratas so they probably tailored their memories towards the family. 

From that standpoint, I'm guessing Mac was never meant to see it given that only Ryder, Theo and Chloe have access to it. Having no warning would have been horrible though - I assume no-one told Felicity that Ari and Mac used to date?

22 hours ago, Red Ranger 1 said:

Well. Main takeaway from the video today is that we've now heard both Irene and Roo define Ari solely by his relationship with Mia,

Since Mia arrived in the Bay, all of Ari's storylines have been with Mia. I believe that there have only been around 3-5 (?) episodes where one of them was in it and the other wasn't. In this sense, everyone's most recent memories of Ari will involve Mia.

I enjoyed the role reversal of Cash and Felicity.

10 hours ago, H&Alover said:

Theo and Ryder just happened to the ones to get full force of her anger

Well, not really, since she seemed to actively seek them out to yell at them, in a rather hypocritical manner since she was the one who just seemed to be trying to make herself feel better.

6 hours ago, LD43 said:

Since Mia arrived in the Bay, all of Ari's storylines have been with Mia. I believe that there have only been around 3-5 (?) episodes where one of them was in it and the other wasn't. In this sense, everyone's most recent memories of Ari will involve Mia.

Even if that's true, I would have expected them to have longer memories than that, rather than acting as though Ari's life before Mia rocked up didn't amount to anything. Also, the very fact that Ryder was showing the video to random people in Salt suggests it wasn't that private.

Anyway, today. And to be honest I was a bit bemused by the conclusion Mackenzie came to, since it feels as though Ari's barely spoken to her since they broke up, and when he did it was mainly to ask for a pizza. Indeed, I think their last interaction was him being a bit awkward about mentioning the engagement in front of her. But oh well, good she seems to have come to terms with it in her own way.

Roo was definitely overreacting with regards accusing Alf of putting pressure on her: She was just hearing what she expected to hear. So good he put her straight.Justin's kind of flying blind with his attempt to get to the bottom of what's going on with Theo, although having Leah back could help.

I may be misremembering but weren't Theo & Ryder in the Surf Club along with Chloe so Mia didn't go seeking them out??  In fact she told them to get out!

Ari did have a life, even if it was low key, before Mia turned up.  He hardly had a quiet introduction being thrown into the siege situation and he had got involved with other locals, firstly Marilyn who he helped and she repaid the favour by putting him, Gemma and Nik up.  His romance with Mac was a nice slow burn beginning with a lot of flirting between them.  Which does make the fact Roo & Irene were just focusing on his life only stating after Mia arrived odd.  Justin had a better handle on it by commenting on how Ari was always thinking of his family. 

I seem to recall a couple of in depth conversations between Ari and Mac and she had genuinely seemed pleased for them over their engagement. 

Dean does have some good insight at times and this time it helped Mac work out where her feelings really lay and who with.  She got to say a proper goodbye to a guy who although he wasn't with her very long, meant a great deal to her.  As she said she and Ari didn't have a proper ending to their relationship. 

Did I miss something because I don't recall Alf putting any pressure on Roo to go and see Martha.  All he did was mention he was going to see her.  What did amuse me though was Roo announcing she was off to the Diner to get a coffee!  Alf had managed to make one indoors all by himself. Or was that a ploy to get away. 

Justin seems to have caught Roo's sticking your nose in where it's not wanted disease.  He just wouldn't take Theo's very emphatic NO for an answer. I get his argument that Theo is lucky to have both parents alive but he doesn't know what really went on behind closed doors and it's only us and John who the real reason for his reluctance and it's not Theo being stubborn for the sake of it. Leah coming back could help or make things worse.  Justin has quite a bit of news to break to her first. 

Did chuckle at the fact Justin is going to have to do a lot of grocery shopping. ????  Hope Buddy got fed.

That was decent of John to pick Tane and Nik up from the airport.

Glad Tane and Nikau are back, being with their family in New Zealand seemed to help them. I wonder why Mia didn't go with them? Perhaps because of the way she left when Ari went to prison the first time?

Nice gesture from Dean and Ziggy, but offering money can always go either way. Good to see that Mia patched things up with them after reflecting on her reaction.

Roo not so subtly telling John to leave her alone ?

Tane appears to be putting a brave face on for his family but seemed to have his guard down a bit with Felicity. Hopefully she can help him through losing Ari.

Archived