2022 Season - UK Episode Discussion

Dan F

19 hours ago, Red Ranger 1 said:

I don't object to cancer being included in a story, but it does feel like a bit of a cheap plot device to have Ari die of something completely unrelated to his confession and incarceration, thus leaving Chloe and Mia with a clear conscience because he would have died anyway (albeit perhaps not as quickly), rather than dying or being left in jail because of them.

Anyway, after two episodes focusing on the people closest to Ari, we switch back to the wider community and see them getting the news. Dean seems to use Logan as his verbal punchbag a lot these days (he actually went all the way round there to yell at him for not curing cancer?), but fair play to him, he calmed down and apologised pretty quickly.Not the best way for Mackenzie to find out though.Logan kept quiet about what he knew for a bit longer than necessary but got there in the end.

I can kind of see both Alf and Ryder's point of view here.In principle, it was a good idea for Alf to get everyone together and have them celebrate something positive, but he put a bit too much emphasis on that side of it.I can understand Ryder not wanting to sit around sipping champagne the day after Ari died so his outburst was understandable but he was perhaps expecting too much for Alf in expecting him to have the answer of what to do with the Paratas.So Chloe joins the Dead Dads Club twice over! Odd that Ryder didn't think to text Bella, who'd probably be the best person to give him an update on how everyone's doing.(She even had the presence of mind to let Dean know.) Ryder appeared to be magically transported from the beach to Salt at one point!

Ari could have died in the nick ala  and THAT would have been extra sour.

• Replies 949
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Well, it was nice that Alf and Ryder calmed down quickly with acknowledgements of faults on both sides.It was also nice to see Ryder and Felicity having a proper conversation after his Bad Boss behaviour the other week.The video message that followed was a bit odd with most people (aside from the typically blunt Alf) not really knowing what to say: I guess we're meant to assume they got there in the end? Despite Irene and Justin's disapproval, it was nice that John did feel comfortable going over to see the Paratas.

I can see where Cash was coming from with his moving in surprise but Irene was right to block the idea (and then come very close to dropping him in it with Jasmine!). There is a certain irony in him acting as though Felicity is suddenly some sort of relationship expert!

I did find it slightly amusing Logan's bemusement at why Mackenzie was so distraught about Ari's death and how everyone was so concerned for her.  I was also glad Dean apologised to Logan although he has punched him literally albeit that was to do with Mackenzie.

I'm glad people such as Alf are having doubts about Ari's initial confession to the murder but I was a little surprised at some of the reactions.  Everybody talking about what a great guy he was.  Until he reunited with Mia, he very often had anger management issues and even recently he still assaulted Matthew.  He's innocent but most of the other characters don't know that and they seemed to completely dismiss the assault and the fact he confessed to a murder.  Don't get me wrong, I thought for the most part he was OK and it was a shame things had to end like this.  I would also like to see Marilyn's reaction as they were quite close at one point.

Presumably Ryder still has a thing for Chloe which was why saw him on the beach wanting to text her.  I couldn't tell later on in the episode if had texted Chloe or Nikau multiple times or both of them.

Alf's episode count this week:Three(although he didn't have any audible dialogue on Friday and neither did Justin).Felicity was in four.

Basically an episode saying goodbye to Ari. Good performances, and the cultural details are always welcome, but I'm not sure I was ever invested enough in the character to be moved by any of it, especially Mia's grieving widow behaviour.Chloe naturally has to sleep on the couch rather than in the room that Karen was using just this week.I'm assuming she drove out there, as once again the farm house is treated as though it's just next door.The show just about got away with having an open coffin without Rob Kipa-Williams to lie in it, but when we get a close-up of Nikau seeing his final goodbye, that's obviously not Ari! I guess that counts as Roo having a scene with Tane and Felicity, although no opportunity for her to apologise for her stirring last year.

I thought that Jasmine looked uncertain about Cash's u-turn at the end of last episode so it was a bit of a shock to open the episode with them both fully on board with living together. I do appreciate that Jasmine knew Mia from the gym so her being involved makes sense even leaving aside her own experience of being widowed.

Oh great. Welcome to the Mia pity party. It's really hard to stomach her saying she doesn't want Ari to be remembered as a murderer when she could have told the truth at any point rather than letting him throw himself to the lions to save her and Chloe. It's also hard to take her grieving widow act seriously and I wish someone would tell her she's out of line rather than Ryder and Theo being left thinking they deserved to have her take her bad mood out on them. It was daft of Chloe to force her to watch the video when she didn't want to though.

Cash should compare notes with Logan: When moving in with your girlfriend, it's best to remember who else you're going to be moving in with. He doesn't even have the excuse that he forgot, given he asked for Irene's help with his "moving in behind her back" plan! I don't know if someone put the backlight on at the wrong level but it looked to be broad daylight outside when Cash ran into Irene in "the middle of the night".

On 16/04/2022 at 21:27, Foellfan said:

Hi,

Does anyone know the song Tane sang on the guitar the night before Ari's funeral, I recognised it having been sung in English, or certainly the tune, but can't place the name, please. Any help greatly appreciated!

I don't know of anything with the same tune (unlike the one Tane sang in the garden last year), but it's a folk song called 'Tiaho Mai Rā'

https://folksong.org.nz/tiaho_mai_ra/index.html

Returning to Ari's 'leaving' am I to understand that in Maori culture the women don't attend the funeral as that is how it came across to me.?  Very brief mention of Gemma. The ceremony was so beautiful and very moving.?    Putting aside the 'we hate Mia' brigade - was her walking into the sea part of the  Maori tradition?

Talking of tradition and picking up on Dean's comment he didn't do funerals made me wonder if he'll do the River Boys tradition of floating a wreath on the water.

It must have brought back some sad memories for Jasmine, her offering to step in at the gym was the only way she could think of helping Mia & Tane.  Her comment to Cash about Mia going to be at a loss was right, before there were all the funeral arrangements to make, people to contact etc, which helps focus your mind but now that's all done now. 

I didn't think Mia was out of line by not wanting to watch the video that had been put together, Theo and Ryder had been warned by Justin and Alf it may be too early for the family to see.  Whether it's because Chloe is of a different generation to Mia may explain why she was more open to it, it did make her smile. She shouldn't have pushed Mia - it'll take her longer to feel able to sit and view/hear it. It may take her weeks or months. 

On a much lighter side Cash getting caught in his undies by Irene was funny, he was certainly the more embarrassed?.  He couldn't get out of the Diner quick enough the next day.

I was wondering where Chloe pitched up to, though I didn't think Bella had moved back in the Farmhouse, hadn't she moved out when Karen moved in?  It didn't look like the Farmhouse front door.?

5 hours ago, H&Alover said:

Putting aside the 'we hate Mia' brigade - was her walking into the sea part of the  Maori tradition?

I don't know much about Maori tradition, so couldn't answer in this way. However, I thought that Mia walking into the sea was in reference to Ari wanting to be on the beach with his feet in the water right before he died.

Archived