Who is the most iconic character after Alf?

adam436

On 17/02/2020 at 01:26, Homeandawayfan. said:

Ailsa was more cheerful and bubbly in the early years though.

Yeah, she really got the misery piled on her final years, didn't she? 

She had a nervous breakdown after the diner hold-up, the car accident that left in her coma and paranoid that Alf was trying to kill her, was trapped in the house during the landslide, lost the diner (her last link to Bobby) in a fire and then we found out she was raped and forced to give up her baby in prison. Duncan gave her no end of problems too once they SOARSed him and made him permanent. Even after all these years, I still vividly remember the scene of Alf being electrocuted on the beach while Ailsa just stood there and watched. 

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

I would say Irene or Sally.

Irene - because she's still on the show, has had a long run, and I think is a very recognisable character/actress. I also think she's fairly iconic in that she's had a lot of big/interesting plots over the years, and now has kind of become the 'foster' person for random teens/adults.

Sally - for obvious reasons. She literally grew up on the show which is rare in soaps (or any form of TV), which I think means Kate will always been seen as Sally. I'm sure her return a few years back brought in a lot of viewers as well/hiked the ratings up. (Don't quote me on that though)

I do also agree with the Marilyn suggestion - even if she's not necessarily been as long as some of the others. I just think she's such a unique character (personality and style-wise), and I loved the way they brought her back.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

Difficult to say who’s the most iconic character after Alf but I’m going to pick three characters in no order. We’ve got so many iconic characters.

1) Irene - she’s the second longest serving character and she’s been on the show for almost 26 years now. She’s the matriarch and is very likeable. Sometimes she’s very underused but Lynne McGranger can prove she’s still a good actress when given dramatic storylines. Lynne is a huge asset to the show and Irene, alongside Alf is the heart and soul of the show. It’ll be a very sad day when Lynne decides to leave the show one day.

2) Sally - she was the second longest original character and we saw her grow up in the Bay and she was there for 20 years. She was a real favourite and topped polls. She had some iconic storylines and Kate Richie was impressive in her scenes in Flynn’s cancer storyline. Her departure in 2008 is probably the most beautiful and the best exit storyline ever. There were lots of promos of Sally’s goodbye in 2008 and a lot of magazine covers about her. When she returned in 2013, it was certainly well received by the press and viewers. 

3) Don - he was one of the show’s major original characters. Donald Fisher was someone we all knew in real life and I say this as a good thing. He was headteacher of SBH for so many years and it was always wonderful to see him mentor the younger students. He can be very harsh but very fair too. I felt Don still has a lot of potential left when he left in 2003. I always admired Don’s flaws and his acceptance of mistakes eg Bobby. 

• 2 weeks later...
  • 8 months later...

Archived