Who is the most iconic character after Alf?

adam436

I think it's pretty much a given that Alf is the most iconic character - not just because he's the sole remaining character from the original cast, but his voice, sayings, iconic hat etc, so who would be the most iconic character after him? If you don't think Alf is the most iconic character, I'd love to know who you think is and why :)

I would say Marilyn - she's recognisable to old and new viewers alike as she's appeared in various eras of the show over the last 30 years. She just seems to fit right back in so easily every time. She has a unique personality and fashion sense and probably one of the most positive and resilient characters the show has ever had.  

I imagine the other key contenders would be Sally, Irene, Don and Pippa, but I'm curious to know which one character you think is the most iconic character. 

I must admit I didn't even think of Marilyn. I toyed with Sally and Irene because they're the next longest-serving, but I think I'd have to say Donald Fisher.I don't doubt that there's people watching now who've never heard of him but that's true of many soap icons from yesteryear: He was someone that was there at the forefront throughout the show's golden age and I think if you got someone who watched the show back then and asked them which characters they remembered, his name would be one of the first that popped up.

For me debating which is the most iconic charecter besides Alf is tough question to answer. Considering there are a handful of charecters that had long tenure's and had big personalities. In my opinion these are the top 3:

Irene - A classic Aussie battler who I think is the female equivilant of Alf. Her stern yet comforting personality has blossomed since she came to the bay as a troubled alcoholic and mother of two. It's crazy to think she's been the show for what, almost 30 years!?

Sally - She appeared from day 1 as a young girl and grew up on the show to become a strong woman (and fan favourite). She had a tenure of 20 years on the show which is pretty iconic as we saw her failed marriage to Kieran, her marriage to Flynn and saw the birth of her very own daughter Pippa through Leah.

Colleen Stewart / Smart - Although she had a small tenure on the show (as compared to Donald Fisher or Sally), Colleen's bubbly personality, her unusual fashion sense and being the town gossip would make her pretty iconic. In my opinion she is comparable to Marilyn and they would be ranked the same.

8 hours ago, EndlessSummer said:

Colleen Stewart / Smart - Although she had a small tenure on the show (as compared to Donald Fisher or Sally), Colleen's bubbly personality, her unusual fashion sense and being the town gossip would make her pretty iconic. In my opinion she is comparable to Marilyn and they would be ranked the same.

Ah, I guess I just found Colleen so annoying. I know that was the point of her, but she just grated on me :lol:

I did enjoy her friendship with Max though

Her tenure wasn't that short - she did nearly 13 years as a regular: late 1999 to early/mid 2012 - which is only a few years short of Don Fisher. Colleen was someone who was always "just there", in that she seemed to be there for ages, but never really had that many major storylines, compared to the other long-termers anyway. That can be a good thing, but it does mean she often gets forgotten/underrated. 

I agree with your reasons for Alf and Sally though. 

Also I don’t think you always need to be regular for long time to be considered iconic character as Sam Marshall was around for almost decade and I certainly don’t think Sam as iconic. 

Wheres Shane and Angel I do as they golden couple and Morag despite only being regular for year she was one of most complex characters ever and was part of one of most gritty stories in early years.

Lot of  characters are certainly are  memorable but not really Iconic characters. 

My list of Iconic characters 

Tom 

Pippa 

Alf

Ailsa 

Sally 

Bobby

Donald 

Ruth 

Colleen

Donald

Morag

Marilyn 

Michael 

Irene 

Shane 

Angel 

Leah 

John. 

8 hours ago, adam436 said:

Ah, I guess I just found Colleen so annoying. I know that was the point of her, but she just grated on me :lol:

I did enjoy her friendship with Max though

Haha I feel like she Colleen was annoying but that made her more admirable.

And let's not forget her bond with her son "Lancy", her bond with Leah and her bittersweet relationship with Alf and Morag!

Wow 13 years! It felt shorter then that, given how she was a mainly a background charecter in the later years of her tenure lol

17 hours ago, EndlessSummer said:

Haha I feel like she Colleen was annoying but that made her more admirable.

And let's not forget her bond with her son "Lancy", her bond with Leah and her bittersweet relationship with Alf and Morag!

Wow 13 years! It felt shorter then that, given how she was a mainly a background charecter in the later years of her tenure lol

I think Colleen actually got more stuff in her later years and I actually think Colleen did have share of storyline’s such as Gambling and Cancer and book storyline with Max and finding out she had secret daughter  daughter as well as romance in 2004 . 

• 2 weeks later...

Archived