Why was Pippa fed up with living in Summer Bay by end?.

j.laur5

I don't know if she was fed up as such, she just had an opportunity for a fresh start elsewhere and took it. She had more than her fair share of tragedy there, losing two husbands, an infant son and a foster daughter, so I guess she wasn't going to hang around for the happy memories (even though there were quite a few of those too)!

I love the subtle arc of Pippa through 97 to 98 (actually starting in 96 really) becoming fed up with: the Bay, being a mother (on and off), and life in general. Especially that scene where she tells Ian she doesn't even bother going to the beach any more and can't remember the last time she went there.

I do think it was a realistic and slow-burn development to see her get more and more disillusioned with Summer Bay life and in effect that's what made her ending happier in contrast. It wasn't just that she was leaving for a new life with Ian. She was leaving an unhappy life for a new life with Ian. And that's what made us happy for her and made it ok that she was leaving. Quite clever really. Because the writers knew viewers didn't want Pippa to leave, so it was a good way of making us ok with it, because we cared about her and wanted her to be happy.

I wonder did the writers/powers that be figure that once they axed Dennis Coard, it'd only be a matter of time before Debra followed him out the door? It seems like quite a long arc. a longer one than the notice they'll have been given by Debra once she decided to leave. 

• 2 weeks later...
On 21/04/2019 at 09:03, cymbaline said:

I wonder did the writers/powers that be figure that once they axed Dennis Coard, it'd only be a matter of time before Debra followed him out the door? 

I knew Dennis Coard was axed, but does anyone know the reasoning behind it? She supposedly left to move to Melbourne to be closer to her elderly mother, but I think Dennis' departure must have played some part of it. 

On 19/04/2019 at 02:35, Sally Keating said:

I love the subtle arc of Pippa through 97 to 98 (actually starting in 96 really) becoming fed up with: the Bay, being a mother (on and off), and life in general. Especially that scene where she tells Ian she doesn't even bother going to the beach any more and can't remember the last time she went there.

I do think it was a realistic and slow-burn development to see her get more and more disillusioned with Summer Bay life and in effect that's what made her ending happier in contrast. It wasn't just that she was leaving for a new life with Ian. She was leaving an unhappy life for a new life with Ian. And that's what made us happy for her and made it ok that she was leaving. Quite clever really. Because the writers knew viewers didn't want Pippa to leave, so it was a good way of making us ok with it, because we cared about her and wanted her to be happy.

Pippa was also in a coma for some time as well - I remember her falling down on the back porch after a confrontation with someone (Sally or Shannon's boyfriend at the time maybe?). Was it after that she started to get more and more disillusioned? 

I can't remember how long she was in a coma, but as an 8 or 9 year old, it felt like ages! 

15 hours ago, adam436 said:

I knew Dennis Coard was axed, but does anyone know the reasoning behind it? She supposedly left to move to Melbourne to be closer to her elderly mother, but I think Dennis' departure must have played some part of it. 

Pippa was also in a coma for some time as well - I remember her falling down on the back porch after a confrontation with someone (Sally or Shannon's boyfriend at the time maybe?). Was it after that she started to get more and more disillusioned? 

I can't remember how long she was in a coma, but as an 8 or 9 year old, it felt like ages! 

It was Shannon's boyfriend Kye, from university, who knocked her out, early in 1997. She was in a coma from what I remember 2 or 3 months, then when she woke up, she spent more time in hospital needing flash cards to help get her memory back

On 10/05/2019 at 23:06, adam436 said:

The impression I get is that there were numerous reasons that led to the decision, rather than one big one. She suffered a couple of miscarriages while she was still on H&A (wonder how they'd have written a real-life pregnancy into H&A if Pippa was a widow at the time?) and might've decided she needed to live a quieter life for a while. It might well have been the right decision to make too, seeing as she had her son afterwards. And perhaps decided she wanted to lay down roots in the countryside nearer to where she grew up and raise her family there. There probably wasn't a lot to hold her and Dennis in Sydney apart from her job. With him being already gone from the show, it probably made it that bit easier to quit. 

And yes, that coma storyline seemed to go on forever!

Archived