Were Fisher and Marilyn a popular couple?

adam436

What is the general consensus on Fisher and Marilyn? Were they a popular couple?

I liked them when I originally watched the show (though I was about 7 or 8 at the time and hadn't seen the early episodes), but in hindsight they seemed a little farfetched. I also don't feel it did either character any favours.

• Replies 30
  • Created
  • Last Reply

They seem to have gone down in history as a popular couple and magazines of the time seemed to be pushing them as one of the greats.To be honest, at the time I never bought them as some great love story, it felt more like two lonely people looking for companionship, and them having a child together came as a bit of a shock to me when up until then it appeared to be a completely sexless marriage, so it'll be interesting to see how it comes across when we get there again.

I thought they were great as a double act and really complimented each other's characters. From a writers perspective, it must having been really fun.  At the time Greg haddrick saiid they were his favourite two to write for so to have them in a partnership would have been great from that perspective. 

I really like the way Marilyn brought out the fun side in Donald. Not all the time, but it was fun when it happened. And the rest of the time, it was fun seeing Donald either struggling to be patient with Marilyn, or acting strict and using his "headmaster" voice with his girlfriend/wife.

As for Marilyn, I think the romance with Donald gave her character direction for the remainder of her stint. She and Don were together from 96-99 which is 4 years - a long time in Home and Away terms. Without this stability who knows what her character would have done - probably just floated around with no real purpose like she has done for most of 1995, which in my opinion has not been a successful period for Marilyn as a character. Her relationship and subsequent marriage to Donald provides the basis for most (but not all) of her storylines in those years (I also remember her hair getting more and more ridiculous).

So yes I do think it did favours for both characters.

I also think it was a very brave move for the show. It wasn't just about the age gap either, their personalities were polar opposites too, and the way in which they had contributed to the story up to this point, which made the idea of a romance so unlikely and that alone made them controversial. When you add the substantial age gap too, I think it's one of the biggest risks the show has taken (second only to Kirsty and Kane). Thankfully it paid off!

26 minutes ago, beau_t said:

As for Marilyn, I think the romance with Donald gave her character direction for the remainder of her stint. She and Don were together from 96-99 which is 4 years - a long time in Home and Away terms. Without this stability who knows what her character would have done - probably just floated around with no real purpose like she has done for most of 1995, which in my opinion has not been a successful period for Marilyn as a character.

That's how I feel about Mariyln and John. I don't think she served no real purpose in 2010-2013 and it was only when she and John got together and she became a foster mother to Jett that I felt like she served a purpose again.

Archived