Were Fisher and Marilyn a popular couple?

adam436

Didn't Emily Symons asks to be killed off when she quit in 1999? I wonder how that would have impacted Fisher as a a character in later years. Fisher often struggled expressing his feelings, and he would be a man in his mid 50s left to raise a newborn baby on his own.

• Replies 30
  • Created
  • Last Reply

If Marilyn had died and Donald had been left with the baby, then I would like to think they would have brought Ellen back (the nanny who looked after Byron when Marilyn had post natal depression). She was such a warm character and would have been good to have around with Pippa gone and Ailsa soon-to-go. Also, I can't remember if it was in the subtext or stated outright, but it seemed she developed feelings for Donald.

4 hours ago, beau_t said:

I really like the way Marilyn brought out the fun side in Donald. Not all the time, but it was fun when it happened. And the rest of the time, it was fun seeing Donald either struggling to be patient with Marilyn, or acting strict and using his "headmaster" voice with his girlfriend/wife.

As for Marilyn, I think the romance with Donald gave her character direction for the remainder of her stint. She and Don were together from 96-99 which is 4 years - a long time in Home and Away terms. Without this stability who knows what her character would have done - probably just floated around with no real purpose like she has done for most of 1995, which in my opinion has not been a successful period for Marilyn as a character. Her relationship and subsequent marriage to Donald provides the basis for most (but not all) of her storylines in those years (I also remember her hair getting more and more ridiculous).

So yes I do think it did favours for both characters.

I also think it was a very brave move for the show. It wasn't just about the age gap either, their personalities were polar opposites too, and the way in which they had contributed to the story up to this point, which made the idea of a romance so unlikely and that alone made them controversial. When you add the substantial age gap too, I think it's one of the biggest risks the show has taken (second only to Kirsty and Kane). Thankfully it paid off!

As the saying goes "The longer people stay the more the viewers invest!" A lesson sadly many do not support now as 2 seasons  about the normal time  now for  some Aussie actors to invest in a role.

I agree that Marilyn hasn't had much purpose in 1995. Her mere presence in 1995 is a strong aspect of that year, however I wouldn't have wanted her to end up with Adam levels of storyline and although I'm yet to watch her romance with Donald in full, I expect they bounce off each other well. One of Marilyn and Donald's best storylines of 1995 is her dying his hair :D Also, from what I've seen so far, their relationship has built up really naturally and believably.

7 hours ago, kathrine french said:

I wish Fisher came back to the bay even for a visit to see maz and Irean

One of my sources knew him and I think he is retired and although be nice like other actors I doubt it happen. Yet who knows what they will do?

On ‎4‎/‎03‎/‎2017 at 11:07 AM, beau_t said:

If Marilyn had died and Donald had been left with the baby, then I would like to think they would have brought Ellen back (the nanny who looked after Byron when Marilyn had post natal depression). She was such a warm character and would have been good to have around with Pippa gone and Ailsa soon-to-go. Also, I can't remember if it was in the subtext or stated outright, but it seemed she developed feelings for Donald.

But Ailsa still had whole year left!.

7 hours ago, samdanfan said:

One of my sources knew him and I think he is retired and although be nice like other actors I doubt it happen. Yet who knows what they will do?

I thought there was a storyline to bring him back for a guest stint last year, but it fell through. You can read more about this here .

28 minutes ago, joany208121 said:

I thought there was a storyline to bring him back for a guest stint last year, but it fell through. You can read more about this here .

As actors always say "never say never" Yes some have been talked into doing projects,

I can only guess he wasn't in the mood to return?

Archived