Beth Hunter - Clarissa House

I never quite understood when Beth left the show in 2007 she went on holiday that was supposed to be for a month and ended up being away four months. We barely got any more then two mentions about Beth for the next four months and then one day randomly we heard Matilda say her Mum was returning tomorrow. Then we saw the car crash that had already happened. It was Beth and she was already dead. We just saw her hand sticking out from the ambulance bed. Beth was dropped off at the airport by Tony. Beth should have been coming home and being picked up by Tony or Taxi .

I don't understand why they could not have just killed her off in the episode she left in a car crash on her way to the airport. I think it would have made a tragic end to her character as she finally got to go on holiday and have fun and now it was taken from her.

So does anyone know why they gave Beth such a bad exit as it really was so cheesy and a badly written off scene death. You think they could have at least tried bringing back Clarissa House and give her a proper death scene and end to her character.

The impact of her death was not the same because she already left months before hand and we were already used to her not being around. So were other characters used to not having her around. She was already forgotten about by her family until Matilda finally remember she had a mum on holidays and said,she was coming home tomorrow.

• Like 2

I understand what you're saying but I don't think the writers or producers would have killed Beth off so soon after Sally was stabbed in the 2006 finale two weeks before Beth's departure to go overseas to see Scott and Hayley in Paris and later Robbie and Tasha in Boston.

It was disappointing that Beth left the show as I always thought she had potential to be a long-term character like Leah and Irene for example but it wasn't to be sadly. I might be wrong but I think Clarissa wanted to leave and return to Melbourne so TPTB were backed into a corner as a result of her decision to leave.

While her death occurring off-screen was somewhat disappointing for some I still thought the grieving scenes with the Hunter family and Tony were extremely well done. It took Tony a long time to move on from Beth and Mattie was affected by her mother's death for a number of months and didn't truly start moving on properly from about 2008 onwards yet it still lingered up until her departure realising how much her mother's death had left a hole in her life.

Could Beth's death been executed in a better and effective way? Possibly but I think the way it played out it was still very good and very emotional for viewers.

Hard to believe we're coming up to eight years since she died. It doesn't feel that long ago!

It was pretty much the same scenario as with Tim Campbell's departure, Clarissa said that Beth would never abandon her kids and so was happy with the way that Beth was written out. She also said it was a mutual agreement that the character had run it's course, though obviously Clarissa's desire to spend more time with her family would have had something to do with it too.

• Like 1

Was she gone for 4 months before she died? I remember her dying in early 2007

Beth left to go overseas on January 30 2007 (Episode 4342) which happened to be her last on-screen appearance.

She then died off-screen when returning home to Summer Bay from the airport on April 23 2007 (Episode 4400).

I think Clarissa's contract was up so they had to let her go, but they really wanted Beth to die at the same time as Kit giving birth, because they wanted to a birth-and-death episode like they do in hospital dramas. So they had to delay Beth's death and that meant writing out Clarissa before Beth died. From memory she was also removed from the opening credits months before her death. The whole thing was a bit sloppy and ineffectual in my opinion.

I think Clarissa's contract was up so they had to let her go, but they really wanted Beth to die at the same time as Kit giving birth, because they wanted to a birth-and-death episode like they do in hospital dramas. So they had to delay Beth's death and that meant writing out Clarissa before Beth died. From memory she was also removed from the opening credits months before her death. The whole thing was a bit sloppy and ineffectual in my opinion.

Hm, i don´t remember that, i guess i just didn´t think about it back then :P

So she had a 4 year contract to the show? I remember she came in 2003

Do you mean she wanted to leave or did they simply not want her on the show anymore?

Edited by Jacklost

My point was that Clarissa's contract was up (regardless of whether it was her choice to leave or not) before they actually wanted her death to take place. They wanted it to coincide with Kit giving birth, which wasn't due for a few months yet.

After Beth left for her "holiday" she was removed from the opening credits despite not actually dying until months later.

Hm, i don´t remember that, i guess i just didn´t think about it back then :P

So she had a 4 year contract to the show? I remember she came in 2003

Do you mean she wanted to leave or did they simply not want her on the show anymore?

I think it was three contact but she left in early 2007 because Clarissa House finished filming in late 2006.