Characters who stayed too long.

j.laur5

1.Sophie-I grew tired of her character towards the end

2.Adam-Pointless and he just got more stupid as time went on.

3. Sam-What was the point of keeping him when his father was leaving and he did seem rather pointless at times.

4.Donald-I think it been better if he got a happy ending with Marilyn and Byron in 1999 as in his final years he just seemed an out of place and lonely man

• Replies 38
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Characters I think who stay too long on the show aren't necessarily characters I dislike so I think that misconception needs to be noted before I go into detail about some characters who I felt have overstayed their welcome on the show.

Darryl Braxton - Brax is a great character for mine but I'm starting to sense with the departures of Heath and Casey that his time on the show is starting to come to an end but at the same time Brax looks a little lost without Heath and Casey around him but I suppose with Ricky by his side and the introduction of Ash Brax can still be a useful character for a little longer. He's coming up to four years on the show next month.

Adam Cameron - Adam was one of my favourites from the Early Years but I did feel that he was on the show for a long time and a lot longer than most characters were during this time. I suppose it can be argued with good reason that Adam provided continuity and familiarity during the Early Years and hence his presence was positive during that time. Also Adam ended with a big bang with Bobby's death and then eventually being turned on by most of the community. It's sad what happened between him and Bobby considering they were close friends during those early years of the show.

Sam Marshall - I have a feeling that TPTB wanted Sam to become the 'next Sally' in terms of longevity on the show and of course he had a massive connection to an iconic character in Bobby in which his father got married to. However Sam's stint especially towards the end started to become a little tedious and I think it was the right move for him to leave in 2000.

Martha McKenzie - Martha felt like she was on the show forever during her time. I think there was a massively missed opportunity to see her and Roo on-screen with one another but I think Martha started to overstay her welcome after Jack died in very early 2009. After that she started to seem lost and I could never properly invest in her relationship with Hugo especially after what he had been up to with the people smuggling racket.

Romeo Smith - Another boring and drab character who was on the show for far too long. The only saving grace about him was that his relationship with Indi was quite good but his exit storyline was executed terribly.

Liam Murphy - For a character who I never thought was that popular to start off with or even had many memorable storylines, it was surprising that he ended up being on the show for four years but after his marriage with Bianca collapsed I think his purpose was lost especially after we only saw him work in Angelos and not do much else. It was quite fitting he departed alongside Romeo considering Romeo first appeared alongside Liam back in 2009.

Leah Patterson - I'm a massive fan of Leah and it's great to see that she's still on the show but I often wonder whether it was worth keeping her on considering the lack of storylines she's had over the years. I feel like in hindsight that Leah's exit may have been better had she left with Dan to start a new life in the USA but nevertheless I'm happy for her to be here considering she provides that continuity and familiarity that is crucial to the show.

Hayley Smith - Not often do you see a character of her age stay on the show for seven years! Most are gone by three or four years within their arrival so this was unusually surprising. I was generally indifferent to Hayley but the baby storyline with her, Scott and Kim became tiring and I felt like the writers had nothing else to write about with her after she had Noah.

The Sutherlands - The Sutherlands dominated the 2000 to 2004 era like the Braxtons do these days. I enjoyed the family unit of the Sutherlands but after one disaster after another it started to become tiring for them especially in 2004 when everything seemed over the top and dysfunctional for them. It was a good move for Rhys, Dani, Jade and Max to all leave that year. Kirsty left a few months after the rest of them to be on the run with Kane.

I have to agree that Brax has stayed too long, even though I loved him when he first arrived. The river boys were a great storyline and a big success, but it feels like the end of the line, with heath and Casey gone, it feels like extra family members are being brought in to drag out their existence and I think they should wrap it up and move on. Maybe if Brax just settled in as a normal member of the community, reformed ex-gangster then it would be interesting to see where they took his character.

I also agree with Sam and Donald. I can't think of anymore, but if anyone starts a thread about characters who went too quickly then I could think of plenty!

• Hayley - I never liked her at the best of times, but as others have said, she should have left with Noah. After that was just a disaster.
  • Joel - I felt Joel had little purpose after Tom and Natalie left, but he didn't last much longer than them anyway.
  • Neville and Floss - fun characters, but I can understand why the had to go for the sake of the show. They weren't contributing a great deal
  • The Sutherlands - the dominated the show for four years and probably should have gone with Shelley. I liked Max, but I was well and truly sick of the girls by that point. The caravan park could have been bought by Sally and Flynn at that point (they were engaged/trying for a baby around the time Shelley left) or they could have had the Hunters buy the house

No one else really sticks out for me, but I stopped watching on a regular basis in early 2006.

Disagree with Neville and Floss, Floss moreso. They were a bit Panto, in all honesty but they were a half decent Comedy Act, we needed them as with Lance and Martin to break up the episodes which end with Carly crying on her bed, Bobby pissed at the world and Alf/Don doing their blocks over what the teens will do. They represented the family feel of the first season,

Floss had a good rapport with Sally, Frank et al. I guess after the Scott storyline, they ceased their purpose but it was a really crappy way they got booted. Axed and not even told about it, Frank Lloyd and Sheila Kennelly had to READ about it in TV Week (which was totally gutless of the producers)

Archived