Neighbours star was nearly cast as Pippa

c120701

Jackie Woodburne was shortlisted for the role of Pippa when Vanessa Downing left. I can't imagine her as Pippa, but maybe she'd still be on the show now. The show might have been completely different today.

Debra Lawrence might also have never met Dennis Coard.

http://m.digitalspy.co.uk/soaps/s14/neighbours/news/a596203/neighbours-star-jackie-woodburne-was-almost-cast-in-home-and-away.html

• Replies 21
  • Created
  • Last Reply

No it's badly worded. I think they mean "critical" as in "important". I think what it means is that Pippa was important to the show (especially with Tom having been axed) so there was no way they could lose Pippa too. When Vanessa decided to leave, the only option was to recast.

Actually I can quite easily imagine Jackie playing Pippa. I always thought her and Debra's acting styles were very similar, this was before I even knew they were friends in real life.

I know that Debra auditioned for the role of Pippa originally in 1987 and when Vanessa left they asked Debra to audition again. I wonder if that means Jackie also auditioned originally.

Actually I can quite easily imagine Jackie playing Pippa. I always thought her and Debra's acting styles were very similar, this was before I even knew they were friends in real life.

Yeah, their acting style is similar, but physically I think Jackie would've been a bigger leap from Vanessa than Debra was.

That's interesting! I can so easily imagine Jackie playing Pippa too. I wonder whether she'd still be in the show as Pippa today considering her loyalty to Neighbours, perhaps she would have felt the same about H&A and Pippa would still be there.

I'm surprised that piece of trivia hasn't been revealed before (to my knowledge).

Very interesting story and I can't imagine Jackie playing Pippa these days even though she would have been great in the role in my opinion.

If Jackie was cast in the role of Pippa would she have ever been able to play Susan on Neighbours. I guess it may have been possible as the writers wrote out Tom in 1990 and maybe Pippa would have left at that time as well potentially.

Archived