Are the current producers ruining Home and Away?

JamesC10

• Replies 2.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I appreciate and enjoy most eras of Home and Away 1988-2008, but when I think of what I want for the current show, never do I think "I want it back like it was in the 80's/ 90's". I don't wish for the return of former characters, or want the sets to revert back to how they were back then. I would love for the show, as it is now to simply be great, using new and existing characters and creating new iconic characters, in the way that in 1993, Angel was 'a new character'. That said, given the opportunity I would literally wipe out every single character introduced after 2010 (barring John/ Jett) because from what I've seen, they are made to be versatile for whatever story comes along (Spencer and his bi-polar for example), which is a terrible approach to character writing. I doubt that even with the best writers, I could start to invest in this current bunch, because there is no foundation there for them, too much inconsitency. Same with many of the new characters in Neighbours really.

Whilst Alf, Irene, Marilyn and Leah are all very bland versions of their former self, and as such are currently 'bad characters' in my book, they have years and years of solid writing to draw from and develop/ explore. Thus making the job of shifting them out of a rut 10x easier than it would for a poorly developed character like April or Bianca. I mean with Irene they could do pretty much anything, with her layers of alcoholism, abusing/ bullying Nathan, Fin and Damien, loneliness, 'cursed' romance' etc to draw from.... but they choose not to. Though in a way I'm thankful for that, because I'd rather they attempt to utilise her potential when the show sees better days.... and I'm there to see it :Pselfish

H&A was never just about beach scenes, babes and Alf routinely saying Flamin Galah. That's what the show is now. It used to have a certain charm about the show, which as someone else pointed out too, has been lost Imo. I agree with Andrew that this 'rot' started to set in around 2005 with the emphasis on plot focused Summer Bay. It seemed to really damage the flow of the series and it was never the same again, until Bevan Lee's 2008 stint. But at least it was still engaging at times and dramatic - it still had some of the original H&A elements.

Alexx I hope you dont mind me saying this but to me it seems you do seem to not read some posts properly before your reply to them. I never said H&A was all about beach scenes and Alf saying flamin galah. I am just saying what I feel about the modern day show.

I think I do read posts properly before replying to them. But apologies if I seem to have misunderstood your post. My point was that some people tend to miss the point when viewers complain about the current format - even when their points of view have been clearly explained (Imo).

So in that regard it's as if the posts are not read properly themselves, and the complainers are lumped into the 'people need to move on and take the rose tinted glasses off' bucket. It's not about going back in the 80's.

Andrew - that's exactly what I think about the show.

I disagree. The couples in 2005-2010 had better build ups and the charachters were generally better explored. Charachters from 2010 and onwards have no personality outside the relationship and most of them have no charachter developement.. For example Kirsty and Miles were an odd couple but they had their personalities explored in and outside the relationship, the same with belle and Aden, Rachel and Kim, Rick and Mattie, and more.

But who is Tamara? Has her story been explored? Or Nathalie, or Elijah? As soon as the romance stuff is over they are heading out of H&A. And what about Kyle? It seems to me that his only purpose is to cause some trouble for the rest of the Braxton clan. He is not a charachter on his own. And the charachter seem to change personality all the time just to fit different storylines.

Only John and Jett have been offered decent developement through the past few years.

Except from Charlie/Ruby I don't think the other parent/child storylines have been unbeliveable. Roman was young, but it was not unrealistic for someone to have a child as very young. And to let the grandparents take care of it the most, especially when the child is little.

I don't think Lucas and Jack were worse as brothers than the Braxtons. The opposite actually. Braxtons brothership is based too much on bullying and violence.

The Walkers have been good as a family, even if I think that they went to far with the potrayal of Sid in the Stu storyline. And I also think that Sasha became a welcome member of the family far too quickly.

I think the relationships between the characters are better than they were in 2006, 2007, 2009, 2010. At least I believe the Braxtons are brothers and the closeness between John and Jett is somthing that has built. Not awful, like Irene and Belle/Tasha etc.

What was awful with Belle and Tasha? i think they are better then most new girl characters

I do agree with jacklost. Belle and Tasha had better and more stabile personalities than a lot of the newer charachters. I've never liked belles introduction storyline, but at least she was given a back story, and they don't do that with the current charachters. Someone said it perfectly on here about April's introduction. Hey I'm april, I like fashion and I speak French....

But I don't think everything about H&A is bad. If I thought it was just only bad I wouldn't have watched. The storylines still have some interesting moments here and there. And have a lot of potential. But it could have been better. And it used to be better i some ways. Especially when it comes to charachter developement and also handling sensitive topics, even if that always has been a bit sloppy.

But I am still enjoying it sometimes and I have no plans in stopping watching it.

Archived