Are the current producers ruining Home and Away?

JamesC10

Home and Away is ruined.

There is no direction anymore and the episodes actually leave me feeling lethargic.

How hard is it for screentime to be divided equally so that all characters have storylines at least some of the time? There is an interview on this very site (not hard to find) with former Script Producer Coral Drouyn who clearly explains that it's not hard to ensure that all characters get storylines - it just takes a little more effort!

She also said that during her time at H&A there were instances where "The Chair" would write characters out or not give them storylines due to their dislike of the actor.

Could that be happening now? We'll never know.. but I know for sure that something is going on...

• Replies 2.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

It's a lovely idea to think that certain disgruntled members on this board will take any excuse to complain about the Braxtons and the show in general, but the truth is that H&A is in a really poor state at the moment. No, not at it's worst, but not really far off.

Regarding Brax, concern for his brother following the car accident is of course understandable, but flying off the handle at Sasha's completely reasonable suggestion of Casey's drinking was wrong. I've just watched him behave in exactly the same manner in response to Indi's far friendlier enquiry, and physical and verbal bullying of a doctor only doing her job. No I wouldn't rather Pippa died than accept Brax's money, and yes he lost a nephew, but that was a family member and I just don't believe he would donate that amount to Sally after such a brief introduction. It's not in character for Brax, it's just another desperate attempt to sanctify the man.

Ah, the slip of the tongue technique. If the writers wanted to subtly reveal it was actually Brax that made the donation to Pippa's fund, we could have seen him making the contribution on the computer privately and never speaking of it again. Instead Alf finds out and virtually gives him a big pat on the back, just so we're all fully on-board with what a saint he is.

I don't think there is anyone in the Bay that would have that kind of money to donate, not even Brax, whose finances change like the weather. It wasn't long ago when Kyle had to pay Brax's fine and then told Ricky that it was now all gone. How much pizza do they sell?!

They had Winston there, if they wanted a big donation to move the storyline on, then why not from the millionaire? Apparently Winston had enough money to buy the boat and that was it, he is now broke. But why couldn't the writers have had Winston buy the boat, get to know Pippa and then have him donate what little he had left, Winston is a good guy and it is something that he would do and it would be believable with us knowing he is rich.

Why have Brax donate all that money (which he shouldn't have) and have Alf praise him, unless they were trying to show him as the caring hero?

And if it wasn't bad enough that he shouted at Indi (who said nothing wrong and for some reason closed the gym in respect to Casey, anyone would think Casey was Prince of the Bay the way people are acting) and Sasha, 5* spoiler..

he has now completed the Walker sibling set and snapped at Dex. Dex was only trying to help and has been in a worse situation than Casey and got through it, he also saw his father be in the situation of not knowing what to do to help.. but apparently no-one has ever felt the pain that Brax is going through, so Brax has the right to snap at anyone because he is hurting.

That's Indi, Sasha, Dex, Peta and I wouldn't be surprised if he shouted at Maddie too, all within a couple of episodes, but it's okay, he's just upset about Casey.

Bring back all the characters that have left and the show will rock again

Cast and wages bill might be over large. :P

Well don´t need to bring everyone back only the most important ones like Romeo, Belle, Gina, Charlie Flynn, Dan and Jack from the death in some witness protection, Kirsty, Sally, Harvey, Miles, Don, Aden, Nicole, Angelo, Liam, Rhys, Jade, Kit, Kim, Seth, Tony, Lucas, Irenes oldest son, 'Jesse, Hayley, Scott, Mathilda, Ric, Cassy, Ruby, Morag, Celia, Sid, Xavier, Hugo, Martha, Rachel, Amanda, Peter, Colleen, Geoff, Annie, Jay, Bartlon or whatever his name was again, Kane, Shelly, Brody, Dani, Beth, Nick, Will. That´s all the cast I could come up with now that should come back:)

Everyone has their own ideas on what would make the show great again and some people love it the way it is. I've completely given up now and I just don't care anymore. It isn't the show I used to enjoy, I complained about it for years and figured what was the point.

It has become a different show whether people admit that or not - if you enjoy what its become then that's great for you, but I simply wouldn't tune if it was a brand new show, so why bother tuning into it now just because it is titled 'Home and Away'.

Whenever I do tune in, I find the current episodes boring and bland. You'd think that if they were going to dedicate an entire show to a select group of characters, they would actually make it gripping and addictive. But Imo it isn't either of those things. And then the rest of the cast are given horribly tedious and boring storylines, so there isn't anything to look forward to at all.

I enjoyed the show when it was character driven, about an ensemble cast of characters (each character given a meaty storyline every year, regardless of who was the most popular at the time), featuring loads of community spirit, sunshine, laughter (comedy) and with a strong emphasis on what appeared to be emotionally engaging storytelling and a heavy dose of drama. The current show isn't any of that anymore Imo.

I agree it's lost a lot of its charm. I can't decide if it's entirely the show's fault or if I've changed/moved on in terms of what I enjoy watching. I wasn't sure whether to pick back up after the UK summer break but decided to hang around for Sally's storyline, and now I'm starting to lose interest in it again. I can tell that because I end up with a week's worth of recorded episodes that I just have on in the background at the weekend, rather than making the effort to sit and watch them properly each day or every few days.

I'm not much of a fan of the River Boys but I don't think they're the only thing I don't like. Generally I find the majority of characters uninteresting, inconsistent and the storylines far too repetitive.

I might give up altogether soon, but I'm just hanging in there for now.

Archived