H&A vs Neighbours?

Homeandawayfan.

93 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

Watching episodes from both shows from 1988, I did find H&A was the much more brighter and sunnier soap, partly due to its location, whereas Neighbours seemed more twee and outdated.

In 2014, 26 years later, I feel in many ways the same applies, ATM H&A is a bit heavy but has a much nicer and summer location and seems more 2014 than Neighbours does.

• Replies 132
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Your right Homeandawayfan Ramsey Street could be in any Aussie city?

Summer bay has that look that lets you know what Australia like and H&A is a good tourist ad every episode.

Location beats bad writing any day which is the problem with N.

Are you trying to say 'Location beats good writing any day, which is the problem with N.' ?

I think Neighbours is written better than H&A is at the moment, so whilst Home and Away has the 'look' and location, everything else is pretty bland (and I don't watch a show just to see a beach and pretty people). Whereas Neighbours has a better style of writing but doesn't have the location (which is fine with me).

Neighbours has always been about the Australian suburbs, whereas Home and Away has always been about a bayside town. I just don't think there is a comparison anymore. They're totally different shows.

Even Bower admitted to some mistake during her time on the show. Yes Im aware the show is still popular though not as great as the past.

I agree with you they are different and Im more pro-Sydney so that factors in.

I did enjoy Neighbours until 2010 and know others who still do. Yet I heard better from H&A so that's where I stand.

I think they have always been quite different shows, H&A was never intended to be a copy of Neighbours and is a show in its own right like N is. I think it seems (deffo here in the UK) you cannot refer to one without referring to the other as they are two giants who have taken Aussie TV to new levels internationally and are the most iconic Aussie TV soaps ever. It is like they are conjoined twins in terms of international success and legacy but they have always been 2 different beasts leading their own separate lives.

I think they have always been quite different shows, H&A was never intended to be a copy of Neighbours and is a show in its own right like N is. I think it seems (deffo here in the UK) you cannot refer to one without referring to the other as they are two giants who have taken Aussie TV to new levels internationally and are the most iconic Aussie TV soaps ever. It is like they are conjoined twins in terms of international success and legacy but they have always been 2 different beasts leading their own separate lives.

Yeah I've noticed it mainly from UK viewers that seem to bring up a comparison between the two shows. I can see why I guess, if they are the only Australian TV shows (both being soaps), to have a mainstream audience in the UK - I.e nothing else to compare either show to.

But they've always felt very different to me.

Yes I would like to know what the support was for other shows Like McLeods Daughters, Blue Heelers, Water Rats all the classic shows from the past decades.

Plus How they thinks of the new shows like Wentworth and Please like me?

I am aware of the fan base both series have in the UK. If they every lose that audience I say they would both be retired to Aussie TV history.

Your right Homeandawayfan Ramsey Street could be in any Aussie city?

Summer bay has that look that lets you know what Australia like and H&A is a good tourist ad every episode.

Location beats bad writing any day which is the problem with N.

Neighbours has always been about the Australian suburbs, whereas Home and Away has always been about a bayside town. I just don't think there is a comparison anymore. They're totally different shows.

Precisely!

Neighbours is set in the typical Australian suburbs which is a very common lifestyle for many Australians, whereas Home and Away is a country town where the community is supposed to be very tight-knit.

Both have been great soaps for different reasons.

Archived