H&A vs Neighbours?

Homeandawayfan.

93 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

I don't think the acting is better, I think it's the same really. But I do think it looks more dated than H&A did back then in terms of production values.

I like both shows for different reasons though. 92 H&A is really laid back and a lot more emotional than Neighbours. Neighbours 92 has the comical edge that I just find really engaging and inviting. I'd say H&A 1992 focuses more on the every day happenings in life more so than Neighbours 1992, which seems faster paced and slightly more topical. At the moment I think Neighbours 92 is a tad more addictive.

• Replies 132
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • 2 weeks later...

I think both shows have had moments where they have been darker than the other. H&A in 1988 was a bit more topical then N but then again N has been more topical and destructive than H&A in various years such as 1992 as mentioned, and various other years.

Both shows have plenty of history and Neighbours was based on Coronation Street allegedly and H&A was launched as a rival to N so to some degree they could both be in existance due to Coronation Street.

• 2 weeks later...

I saw former Neighbours star Jason Donovan on stage tonight. I was near the front and shook his hand. Had a great time and it was good to see him on stage.

Also good to see the son of a former Home And Away actor on stage as well, Terence Donovan's son. And of course Terence being in Neighbours as Doug. here is one of the photos I took of him on stage.

DSCN0019_zpsae99250f.jpg

• 2 weeks later...

I was watching some 1985 Neighbours episodes when the show was on Ch7 and I noticed it was quite similar to H&A in its first year, such as worn looking house interiors. The Robinson house had what seemed to be dated wallpaper and dark orange doors and door frames, and the interior of No 30 Ramsay Street had chocolate brown painted walls, a bit dated, like the interior of Summer Bay House and Celia's Store.

It was 1986 when Neighbours was picked up by Ch 10 the sets had to be rebuilt and they looked newer and cleaner plus we saw Lassiters and many new characters plus Scott recast.

• 3 weeks later...

I like Neighbours better than Home and away in some ways. Neighbours has more range of older characters than Home and away.

But then I like Home and Away better in a way. They are better at maintaining Home and Away to be the same show it was when it started in 1988!.

But then I like Home and Away better in a way. They are better at maintaining Home and Away to be the same show it was when it started in 1988!.

In what way? I would say they have failed completely in that regard.

I like Neighbours better than Home and away in some ways. Neighbours has more range of older characters than Home and away.

Well I'd say Neighbours has kept more to its original format and locations than H&A.

In H&A only Summer Bay House and the Surf Club remains, and Alf and Roo from 1988. The current format is more crime ridden and plot driven and I still wish for a day when that dies down and H&A returns more to its original premise. I think H&A has kept a bit of its original basis but not as much as Neighbours.

Neighbours has changed with the times but Ramsay Street has always remained and the show is still about families in a cul de sac like it was in 1985. Neighbours still feels like a watchable family show. Lassiters was bought in in 1986 and still remains in 2014.

• 3 weeks later...

I guest because no matter what year i go back to watch Home and Away I feel its shame show and when i watch polit episode I can imagine that in 26 years time the Braxton will living and i can watch 2014 and believe that 26 earlier Tom and Pippa were living there!.

But where's with Neighbours if i watch 1985 or any other era it feels like different show!.

• 4 weeks later...

I stopped watching Neighbours in the early 90s because i began not believing in the character and thought that some storylines where so silly. and since Home and away began I found the writing so much better and liked the characters more. But in 2014 just picked it back up and have to say after all my years of loyalty to Home and Away, Neighbours seems to have an air of quality at the moment that Home and Away is lacking. Maybe its because Neighbours are well and truly out of the ratings war now and dont have pressure from a leading channel. So it can kind of do what it wants.

Archived