Could H&A pull off a domestic abuse storyline?

Guest Light of the Bay

So, the inspiration for this topic started a few months ago when I started watching old episodes of Eastenders (I started at July 2000, and am currently on Feb 2002) and the Slaters' arrived. The second youngest Slater Little Mo had an abusive husband named Trevor who really was a vicious psycho but knew how to put on a 'facade' in public. I really have become hooked as a result of the storyline as it was just so well written. The way in which we saw Mo try and be loyal to her family while also appeasing to her evil husband made for excellent viewing.

Anyway, enough about EE... Do you think the writers could pull of a similar storyline but not sugarcoating it? Like really 'go there?' I'd like to see a really gritty and scary storyline like that in H&A - afterall it's always been a slightly dark show that portrays 'real life issues.'

So, the inspiration for this topic started a few months ago when I started watching old episodes of Eastenders (I started at July 2000, and am currently on Feb 2002) and the Slaters' arrived. The second youngest Slater Little Mo had an abusive husband named Trevor who really was a vicious psycho but knew how to put on a 'facade' in public. I really have become hooked as a result of the storyline as it was just so well written. The way in which we saw Mo try and be loyal to her family while also appeasing to her evil husband made for excellent viewing.

Anyway, enough about EE... Do you think the writers could pull of a similar storyline but not sugarcoating it? Like really 'go there?' I'd like to see a really gritty and scary storyline like that in H&A - afterall it's always been a slightly dark show that portrays 'real life issues.'

I remember that storyline, and I thought it was fantastic. I really wish H&A would support a slow burning storyline such as this, because the climax (didn't she smack him over the head with an iron?) was all the better for it.

Yes she hit him over the head with an iron (believing she had killed him) but he actually survived then the story got even more interesting and complex.

Yeah I'd love if it if we got a really serious storyline with a slow build-up. I think with enough thought they could pull off an abuse storyline that really 'goes there.'

We all know EE did a great job with that story and it was highly praised. So I don't want to watched the same thing in Home and Away. I like it to have its own ideas.

Also, I'm not sure on how dark you want to go, but there had been quite a few domestic stories in the show over the years and I don't want to keep seeing the same thing.

Such as Cassie and Macca, Donna Bishop and Andrew, Jennifer (Alf's cousin) was beaten regularly by her husband. Alex Poulos had a girlfriend who was in the same situation.We saw Sophie's arrival to the show she was constantly being hit by her Dad. The girl Curtis ran off with had a boyfriend who controlled and hit her.

Not to mention all the abuse off screen. The list of characters that come from an abusive background is surely double that of any other soap!

I think it would be interesting to have a very slow burning psychological abuse storyline, perhaps stripping a very strong character down over a very long period of time - I'm talking over a year. Or maybe even a vulnerable character.

I think this sort of storyline could work and have more impact on one of the longer term characters. If Sally was still a regular for instance, I think this sort of storyline would have been perfect for her.

She was already vulnerable to comments and bullying growing up, so if she ended up in an abusive relationship (psychological abuse) it could really be very realistic and would stir the audience up completely - because most of the audience believe she is real and care for her due to growing up with her etc.

Whoever played the boyfriend would have to be prepared for verbal bashing's in the street though.

I'd also suggest Marilyn. But I know that would be very controversial and I'd be very sad to see her go through something like that. It would make gripping and emotional TV though, even uncomfortable.

Would it be detrimental to the character though? Could she realistically bounce back to being positive and bubbly after something like that... I'm not sure. If the answer would be no then I wouldn't want them to do it to her - but if they could write it sensitively enough and so that she ends up a fighter and stronger than before, I'd be interested in seeing it.

I just think that out of the current cast of characters Marilyn would be the most vulnerable to something like psychological abuse, if it's done very subtly.

Edit: I don't know about putting Marilyn through something like that. If I was the producer I'd have something telling me not to go there with her and just build more on the positive bubbly aspect to the character. Of course I'd prefer more than anything that Fisher returned... but if that was impossible and I wanted to give Marilyn a very gritty storyline, I'd consider it.

I feel like I've betrayed her by even suggesting it! Haha I suppose that shows I still believe in her and care for the character a lot. But yeah, the drama side of me would like to see it.

We've currently got the Ty and Kirsty abuse story (in reverse) in Corrie. That has gripped some and bored others who say it has been going on too long. I think any domestic abuse storyline has to have the abusee be someone we, the viewers, care about or there wouldn't be any point.

Agree with the verbal bashing directed at the portrayer of the abuser. A lot of soap fans can be idiots who can't tell fiction from real-life. Examples;

Vivean Gray had to put up with a lot of BS from the public for playing Mrs Mangel to the point she retired from acting and lived out her days in seclusion (unknown if she still alive IRL).

Ian Smith quit Neighbours as Harold in 2009 over mocking and harassment outside his own home.

Harry Capehorn copped hell when he played teen Paedo Bradley Foster on Family Affairs.

Archived