Home & Away: Have Your Say!

Guest James Martin

^That's strange, did you click on something twice?Or does someone else use your computer?I got an 'Answers Saved' message either just before or just after I clicked 'Submit'.Some surprisingly in depth questions on there, I'd have liked to have had time to think about some of them more but I was doing it during a commercial break.

That was a nice survey. As ever though, I worry the purpose of it was to monitor ways of viewing the show, not to read very carefully what we think about each character and their storylines. But I hope I'm wrong about that.

For my favourite storyline I explained that it was a tough question as nothing I really enjoyed in the past 6 months sprang to mind! I also explained that I felt the show was no longer very adventurous with its storylines. However I really enjoyed Bianca's preeclampsia and post-natal depression, which I found very interesting. I also put that I really like her, Heath and Rocco as a happy little family unit now

despite the fact it later turns out to be for diddly-squat

For my least favourite, (surprise surprise) I said that I really hadn't enjoyed the continued dominance of the Braxtons. Although it was good to see the return of Danny, they didn't use the opportunity to resolve the family issues but instead killed him off after a few weeks, leading into another murder trial.

Three characters I'd miss the most were Marilyn, Alf and John.

Three characters I'd miss the least were Brax, Charlie Natalie and Harvey.

If I could bring back any character... I chose the easy option of Sally, although I honestly don't want that to happen until there's a Script Producer at the helm that knows their job is to write for 'Home and Away', and not 'Underbelly'.

If I could change one thing.. again I explained that the show has misplaced the 'heart' and humour in its scripts, and that everyone is miserable.

It's all very well Channel 5 doing the survey and getting the feedback which is a good thing, but when it comes down to it, they're not the ones responsible for making the show - yes they pay for most of it but they don't have an active involvement in the creative process. Unless they decide to take a bold stand, the most they can do is forward the comments to Seven which is where it's back to square one.... given that it doesn't appear to be a Seven initiative (with no such survey on the Oz site), whether they'll choose to do anything about any negative aspects of the feedback is a different matter.

Maybe the producers over here have asked Channel Five to put the survey up on their behalf because they want to know what it is the UK audience like/dislike. I know that Neighbours producers in the past have stated that Australian audiences and UK audiences want different things from the show - maybe it's the same with H&A and the producers want to strike more of a balance?

Archived