Shadow of the Day

Guest mizziette

Thanks every one

NINE

Bianca could remember Charlie Buckton’s 33rd birthday well. It was the first time they’d spoken since she’d regained her memory. Sitting along the beach, Bianca had been surprised as her estranged friend walked towards her. Even more surprising was the size of Charlie’s belly, which was then just starting to protrude.

Charlie wouldn’t talk for a while, instead taking a seat beside Bianca, both staring at the ocean. The silence unnerved Bianca. But when Charlie finally spoke, the words unnerved her more. ‘I didn’t realise…that you hated me that much.’

Bianca couldn’t speak. The words were straining to come out of Charlie’s mouth, she could tell by the tone. ‘You told me we didn’t know each other. You let me believe you didn’t exist in my life. And then everyone else tells me I actually do know you and… You know how confusing it is for an amnesiac to be told conflicting versions of the same thing?’

Another pause. ‘I know I hurt you, but…we were friends once, Bianca. That might be nothing now but once upon a time, it meant something.’

‘Charlie I could never…’ Bianca gulped, overridden with guilt over her insincere actions. Bianca had regretted lying to her in that hospital room but didn’t know how to fix it. Now that Charlie had regained her memory, it was understandable that she would be hurt.

‘Don’t,’ Charlie’s voice choked on tears, and she wiped a tear from her eye as she tried to get up. It took her some time, but she managed. Standing in front of Bianca, her former friend, Charlie’s eyes were pained. ‘I guess it’s a good thing. Now I know how you feel about me, I won’t be getting my hopes up,’

And with that Charlie Buckton walked away. It was one thing if Charlie had been angry, but she wasn’t. She was grieving. Bianca couldn’t bear the thought and the tears came freely. ‘Charlie, wait,’

Charlie turned around and smiled through her grief. ‘It’s fine, really. I’m fine. Good bye Bianca,’

It was Bianca’s 33rd birthday today. There she was, standing in front of the mirror in her sheath dress and heels, ready to have a romantic dinner with her husband, and all she could think was how her once best friend had grieved for their friendship at her 33rd birthday.

Before she knew it, Bianca was taking her arm and throwing each object on the vanity at the wall. In a fit, she ripped the clothes off the hangers onto the floor, threw the pillows around and groaned just for the hell of it. With each fling of a perfume bottle, alarm clock, lamp, all the frustrations filed out of her.

This was for Charlie, who Bianca had abandoned. For the two miscarriages Bianca had suffered recently, for the two children Charlie had which hadn’t even wanted in the first place, for the baby she had yet to conceive, if ever. For Liam, who’d done nothing to deserve the mess that was Bianca and for her parents who had never been there for their daughter. Even a little for a certain Italian prince probably cheating on yet another sad excuse of a woman. Every tear and every object she hurled represented all the hurt in her heart. All the vulnerability and sadness in Bianca’s life was encompassed into that moment.

And with a final slam of Liam’s unfortunate guitar, she dropped to the floor, leaning against the wall. The moment had passed. Picking herself up, Bianca calmly sat at the vanity and wiped her tears, redid her makeup and smoothed down her hair. Yet again, the woman examined her once again meticulous self in the mirror and smiled before making her way downstairs.

When Bianca arrived at the landing, Irene and Liam, who’d both obviously heard the racket upstairs, looked too shocked to know how to respond. They had contemplated checking the commotion but it had only lasted seconds, over before it began. The rage they’d heard earlier from upstairs didn’t correspond to the put together woman in front of them.

‘Babe, I’m ready now. Shall we go to dinner?’ Bianca smiled light heartedly and held out her hand elegantly and Liam offered her the crook of his elbow after some hesitance. And then they went on a romantic birthday dinner, the little episode never once mentioned.

Brax had found that sometimes in life, good things could come out of bad situations. This was exceptionally true where Jade was concerned. The photo of Jade smiling eagerly at the camera always hung near the mantel piece, serving as a reminder of just how lucky he was.

The doorbell rang, Brax put the paper work he’d been reading over on the end table and went to invite Ruby in. ‘Hey, you’re early,’

Ruby didn’t greet him. Instead she just entered past him and turned around coldly. ‘Is she ready?’

‘Not yet, she’s just getting changed,’ Brax sighed and walked away from the door towards the kitchen. ‘You want a drink while you wait? She usually takes a while, you know girls.’

‘Don’t bother.’ The response was short and unamused at the light heartedness Brax had gone for. Brax turned back around. Ruby walked over to the couch and leaned against the back of it with her arms crossed. Glancing around the once welcoming house, she spotted something that captured her attention on the end table. The paperwork Brax had been looking through before she’d entered.

Ruby glared at Brax, her eyes full of hurt. ‘What’s this?’ She picked up the adoption papers and stood up straight again, waving them in Brax’ stunned face.

‘They’re…’ Brax scratched his head lightly in that way he always does. ‘They’re adoption papers,’

‘You’re applying for adoption?’ Ruby scoffed and pursed her lips. ‘What on earth would possess you to think I would be okay with this?’

‘Don’t worry Ruby, I know better than to expect you to like it.’ Brax sighed, this was the moment he’d been dreading. A little part of him; the idealistic part, had hoped she’d be happy but this enraged outcome had been more likely. ‘Look Rubes…’

‘Ruby, my name is Ruby.’ As if she’d let him call her Rubes. That nickname was preserved for friends and family. And Darryl Braxton was neither of friend nor family. The only family she had now was Jade.

‘Okay, Ruby. This doesn’t have to be a big deal. I’m already raising Jade. She calls me dad, for god’s sake. What’s a piece of paper to you?’

‘What’s this piece of paper to you?’ Ruby snapped back. She crumpled up the adoption papers in her hand and threw it past the couch like it was vermin. Where Brax was full of understanding and pleading, Ruby was full of spite.

‘It’s a sentiment. To our relationship, mine and Jade’s. And I’d appreciate your blessing, if you’ll…’ Brax’ heart felt heavy. He just wanted them all to get along but he understood Ruby’s feelings towards him. He had felt that blame too years ago and fleetingly afterwards but it wasn’t healthy. It was eating Ruby up and he hated to see her hurt.

‘How sweet of you,’ Sarcasm. Ruby had really started now. The emotion and hurt in her eyes was unmistakable. Tears formed. ‘Do you honestly think that I’m going to let you adopt her? She’s my sister, my family, not yours! Mine. You can’t take her away from me.’

‘Ruby, I don’t want to. I’m not trying to take anything away from you. I promise.’ Brax knew all too well that a promise from him meant nothing to Ruby. But still. ‘I know you don’t believe me but I do care about you.’

‘You’re right, I don’t believe that,’ Ruby couldn’t look him in the eye; she was desperately trying to fight back tears. Her voice squeaked with pain, each word gaining more force. ‘Jade is called Buckton for a reason. That little girl in there is my only family, and I can tell you right now, my sister will never, ever, be a Braxton. Do you hear me?’

‘Stop, you shout,’ Both Ruby and Brax looked towards the hall entrance where a concerned Jade looking up at them with wide eyes hugging her teddy tightly for comfort. Ruby immediately softened her face and wiped away her tears. Brax also removed the pain from his face.

‘Hey sweetie, daddy’s sorry eh,’ Jade walked slowly to her father so she could be hugged. Brax more than happily obliged. ‘We didn’t mean to shout,’

‘How come you angry?’ Jade’s lips quivered as she stood between her two family members. She was too young to understand what was going on but she knew something was wrong. She thought it was her fault; why else would they keep saying her name?

Brax and Ruby looked at each other. Ruby forced herself to smile. ‘It’s just something silly honey. Are you ready to go to the park?’ Jade nodded unconvinced, with tears in her eyes.

As the girls were walking out, Ruby at the back, the young woman took one stern glance at Brax. The two made eye contact briefly, and yet again, Ruby Buckton walked out.

• Replies 316
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Cant believe I have missed so many chapters :)

just read from chapter three and this fanfci is AMAZING

Your write so well :)

am oretty sure Charlie is dead, and Brax just imagines her there with him

wow Ruby really hates the Braxtons, feel really bad for Brax :( you can see he is trying his best

I am a little confused as to what actually happened to Charlie :unsure: , so many unanswered questions

Is Jade not Brax's child?, she must be I mean who else was Charlie with... I just hope she didn't get raped when Jake abducted her

cant wait for your next update, hope things will start clearing up soon

Nice update!!!

I really enjoy your writing ... but boy I am still sooo confused :wacko:

Just as i think i kind of have it worked out, you update again & there is a curve ball that has me right back at being confused :)

Please update soon .. hopefully all the pieces of the puzzle will start to fall into place :wink: x

Still so confused. Hopefully we find out what happened to Charlie soon. Seems like Jake could be Jade's biological father. Hopefully Ruby does come round to the adoption, Brax clearly loves Jade and has been a father to her all her life.

Update soon.

This fan fic is just mind blowing :lol: my kind of stuff. :rolleyes: Your such a great writer. Mmm I didn't notice the Jade thing but as other people have asked is she not Brax's daughter?

One other thing were you a writer for the tv show Lost? :D Naa joking.

Update soon.

thanks

TEN

Three weeks later, after a late dinner at Angelo’s with some colleagues after work, Xavier decided to take the much more scenic route home along the beach. The moon was full and lit up the ocean til it almost looked translucent. It was just one of those peaceful, magical summer nights. At least until the moment he heard the sound of laughter from the greenery. A few more steps and he recognised Ruby’s voice.

‘You’re just the sweetest for sharing. Thank you so much,’ Ruby was hugging a scraggly blonde, probably one of her clubbing friends. Little did Xavier know that the girl had given Ruby a little yellow pill at the Christmas bash and had given her more moments earlier. If he had, Xavier would have dragged his friend the hell out of there.

‘Oh hell, the coppers are here,’ the blonde girl, Elle, noticed Xavier walking towards them slowly and groaned. She clearly wasn’t a fan of the uniform. ‘I’ll see you at the Lounge, tomorrow?’

Ruby nodded and waved as her new friend walked off. In her little black dress, she was sitting on the sand with a bottle of vodka in one hand. She took a swig and turning her face back towards the ocean, finally noticed Xavier.

‘Oh gosh, it’s you!’ Ruby grinned and stumbled to get up, nearly spilling alcohol everywhere. Once up, her heels sinking into the sand, she hugged Xavier awkwardly and tightly. A slobbery kiss was placed on his cheek. ‘It’s so cool that you’re here. Do you want a drink?’

‘No thanks,’ Xavier smiled and pried Ruby’s arms away from his neck before she crushed it. Ruby however had other plans. Either the alcohol was making her extra clingy or she was too drunk to stand upright without support. Either way, it was the alcohol’s fault that Ruby kept one arm wrapped around Xavier at all times. Not that he could complain.

Ruby manoeuvred the two of them so they turned to face the ocean. Her head was rested on Xavier’s neck as they stood side by side. She took a long sip from her bottle. ‘Isn’t the moon pretty?’

Xavier couldn’t deny that. It really was a beautiful night. Unfortunately, he had a feeling Ruby might not remember it much, given the rate she was attacking that bottle. ‘Maybe you should take it easy,’

As if there was bile in her throat, Ruby’s face scrunched up as she shook her head. ‘Nuh-uh, I’m not drunk yet, it’s still early,’

And then she threw up, thankfully in the opposite direction of Xavier. Taking the bottle of vodka out of her hands, holding Ruby’s hair back with the other, he sighed deeply. He’d known she partied a lot, but never had the pleasure of seeing it first hand in the month she’d been staying at the Austin’s. ‘Let’s get you home,’

After giving the girl a piece of mint, Xavier held Ruby’s face with both hands, wiping her sweaty hair back from her face. She looked dazed. ‘You’re really pretty Xav, you know,’

‘Can’t say any one’s called me pretty before,’ Xav couldn’t help but chuckle.

‘Well, you are. You’re so happy and strong and buff and pretty.’ Ruby’s sad face nestled into his neck, hands hugging him drunkenly. She squeezed his bicep beneath the shirtsleeve. ‘Well, maybe not that buff… plus you’re not happy when I take too long in the bathroom but…you’re like crush me like an ant strong, that’s how strong you are. And so good, you’re so good.’

Ruby nestled her body deeper into Xavier. Closing her eyes against his chest, her words were barely a mumble, ‘you’re so good to me Xav. You’re always so good, I don’t deserve you,’

‘Let’s get you home, put you to bed,’ Xav held her close and kissed her forehead gently.

In the still of the night, two weeks following Jake’s unceremonious retaliation, Charlie Buckton had woken up without any sense of identity. Sid Walker had exited Charlie’s room to find her family eagerly waiting for news. Ruby wiped tears from her eyes. ‘How is she?’

‘Not good, I’m afraid. From what I can gather, it seems Charlie is suffering from a severe case of post-concussion syndrome. Sometimes symptoms, such as amnesia, appear weeks after the initial head injury, as is the case with Charlie. It’s impossible to say when she’ll regain her memory if ever. It could be a few hours to a few weeks to years. Your mother remembers who she is, but in her mind she’s twenty five.’

‘You’re telling me the last seven years are gone for her?’ Brax scratched his head. They were supposed to be starting their lives in the city as a couple. It seemed now that Charlie wouldn’t even know he existed.

‘That’s right. There’ll be someone coming to speak to you about your mother’s memory loss and how to deal with it soon.’ Sid nodded and hesitated before continuing. ‘There’s something else. It didn’t show up when we were conducting the forensic evidence examination, sometimes it takes a while to show positive but…’

‘Go on.’ Ruby urged worried. ‘What is it?’

‘Well, Ruby, you’re aware that Charlie was repeatedly assaulted sexually…’ Ruby nodded, ‘it appears that Charlie is 3 weeks pregnant.’

Ruby grabbed Brax’ hand in dread and squeezed tightly. She knew exactly what that meant. ‘Does she know?’

Sid shook his head. ‘At the moment, she has no recollection of what’s happened to her. I thought it might be better coming from family.’

‘Not again.’ Ruby leaned into Brax in tears. The first time had been bad enough, but to be the victim of the same unthinkable crime twice in a lifetime? Twice Charlie had been harmed, once as a child and again as an adult; twice pregnant from overly tragic circumstances. It was an invasion no woman should feel and yet Charlie was being forced to suffer through it twice.

Ruby didn’t think it was fair at all. Looking at Brax, the man who’d introduced them to the Pirovic family, Ruby pursed her lips and moved abruptly away from his embrace, as if his touch was fire, as if she was suddenly seeing him in a new, darker light.

When Xavier walked into Ruby’s room the morning after her drunken escapade on the beach, she was still out cold. Xavier placed the mug of coffee he’d brewed for his friend on the bed side table and stroked Ruby’s hair gently. There was concern, that much was true. As he sat down on the bed beside her sleeping body, Xavier noticed he’d nudged something off the bedside table and picked it up.

It was a pink card with four stick figures on the front of it happily standing by the beach. Xavier curiously smiled at the child’s artwork. Jade must’ve made it. ‘Xav, what’re you doing in here?’

Xavier looked down at Ruby who was rubbing her eyes. He put the card back on the table. ‘Sorry, it was on the floor. I got you some coffee,’

‘You did?’ Ruby smiled sleepily. Coffee she needed, her head felt like a dozen bricks had bounced on it all at the same time. ‘You didn’t have to do that,’

‘I’m happy to, you know I’m always here,’ Xavier brushed his hand gently over Ruby’s arm as she lay on her side facing him. They gazed at each other and smiled. ‘How’re you feeling? You had a big night last night,’

‘Splitting headache,’ Ruby groaned before forcing herself to sit up and take the coffee off the bedside table. Xavier awkwardly removed his hand from her arm as she did so, not quite sure what to do with his hands. Eventually, they went near his thigh, coincidentally brushing hers. ‘This is good coffee,’

‘I can’t take any credit, Dex made it before he left for work at the hospital,’ Xavier admitted. There was a moment of silence as they sun shone through the blinds and the birds chirped outside. ‘Well, maybe we could hang out today then. I don’t have to go into the station so we got the whole day,’

It shocked Xavier how much he wanted it when he spoke those words. The two of them hadn’t spent a lot of time together since Ruby’s return. Xavier did shift work which was always erratic and Ruby’s body clock was equally erratic. She’d be out most of the night and her bed times varied depending on her alcohol consumption and the time she got home.

Ruby couldn’t help but grin at the thought of spending the day with Xavier. He really was one of the good guys. ‘I’d love that.’

‘Great, you drink your coffee, I’m going to get some breakfast. Want some?’

‘I’m fine. I’ll eat something in a little bit with my insulin shot.’ Ruby reassured him before he left.

Once she was alone, Ruby placed the coffee mug on the table and picked up the pink card. On the anniversary of her mother’s death, she had seen Brax and Jade at the grave, Jade placing the pink card on the soil in front of it. As Ruby watched Brax standing there on the ground Charlie lay resting, she thought of one thing: get away from my mother’s grave.

There was an innocence to Jade’s letter to their mother; an innocence that brought tears to Ruby’s eyes. The poor girl was one when Charlie died, she wouldn’t even remember. But Jade still loved her. The words in the little pink card in Ruby’s hand were proof. And when Ruby had found it lying near the headstone after Brax had left, it had broken her heart.

Archived