Shadow of the Day

Guest mizziette

That was a beautifully written chapter.

I especially liked the part from Jake's perspective as on the actual show, in the aftermath of Charlie's death, he has been brushed under the carpet.

Interesting to see how his anger and hostility is dying with himself and instead he is left vulnerable without his gang to prop him up.

Thanks xx

• Replies 316
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Another brilliantly written chapter

I most admit when I red the first line 'Bianca, while onlooking Liam nursing his beloved guitar back to health' I actually burst out laughing :lol: as I remembered what Bianca had done to it the previous chapter.

Was it Jake that killed Charlie :unsure:

update soon please

Bianca is in a really dark place I wonder if she will get some help off someone. Did she kill Charlie somehow? It seems she has some very dark secrets. How could Charlie's death be her fault?

Jake's part was written really well. I don't think he killed Charlie just hurt her badly. I do wonder with Jake only having a year to live Will he just go all guns blazing out for revenge on Brax and Ruby and not care what happens to himself.

This fic is really quite chilling but that's what makes it such a good read. You just have no idea what will happen next.

Keep up the great work. :D

Great update,

Wondering why Bianca feels so guilty about Charlies death and if she maybe had something to do with it?? Just realized that we don't actually know how she died!!

Intriguing to have the majority of that chapter from jakes point of view!

More soon please :D

THIRTEEN

Brax could feel the tension every time Ruby entered his house to spend time with Jade. Ever since their argument, the subject of adoption has never come up but it was on both their minds. It was more uncomfortable than usual but for Jade’s sake, they had to make the effort.

‘Daddy, oh my god, you would not believe…’ Jade jumped up and down ecstatically. They had just returned from the aquarium. ‘Did you know whales can sing too? Just like me. Just like Ruby. I want whale for Christmas so we can all sing together.’

Brax’ eyes popped out of his head. Why couldn’t she ask for a pony like every other little girl? At least that might’ve been doable. ‘You want what now?’

‘A whale,’ Jade’s eyes glistened. ‘A pretty baby orca whale, just like Willy, they’re so cute. Daddy, can I, can I, can I?’

‘Where on earth am I supposed to put a whale?’

‘In Summer Bay, Australia, that’s where,’ Jade sighed at his ignorance. ‘Ruby wants one too, don’t you?’

For the first time, Ruby, who had been standing amused by the door, stepped in. ‘I don’t think it’s for me.’

‘Are you sure?’ Brax joked but the response was less than amiable. Ruby’s glare wiped the smile off his face. He turned back to Jade. ‘How about a puppy instead?’

‘No thanks, I want whale,’ Jade got off Brax’ lap and ran into her room. ‘I’ll be back,’

‘I take it you two had fun at the aquarium then,’ Brax tried to make conversation. ‘She wasn’t too much trouble?’

‘No, no trouble at all,’ Ruby’s voice was disinterested. The issue of adoption never came up. They hadn’t spoken about it and since Brax wasn’t making any moves, Ruby hoped he’d forgotten about it. At least, that was what she convinced herself to hope. ‘Jade had lunch just now, so she won’t be hungry for a while.’

‘Okay, thanks,’ the awkwardness between the two was unbearable. ‘Listen Ruby, if you want to spend Christmas with Jade…’

‘I’d like to take her to lunch if that’s okay,’ Ruby interrupted before he could finish what he wanted to say. They both knew Brax was about to invite her to spend Christmas with them but she wasn’t comfortable with that. A quiet lunch out on Christmas day would do,’

‘You can come over in the morning for presents too if you like,’ Brax was disappointed in the refusal but offered her something else. ‘I’m sure Jade would love it if you were here to give her present in person,’

‘Thanks, I should go home, family dinner,’ and just like that, she was gone.

It was Dexter’s turn to cook. Cooking was easy in the bachelor pad and relatively simple. That night, Dex had promised to deliver a gourmet Thai feast fit for emperors and he would not fail. The menu consisted of a variety of spring rolls, noodles, and soups. If he was lucky, he might even have managed some dumplings. All in all, the meal would be heavenly.

The doorbell rang. Dex went to get it. ‘Well, don’t those look tasty,’

‘Whatever dude, that’ll be twenty seven ninety five,’ the confused young man at the door held paper bags carrying their dinner. A logo printed on his uniform informed everyone that he worked for ‘Thai noodle hut.’ It was a saving grace for three men who didn’t know their way around a kitchen.

Dex paid the person and unpacked their gourmet dinner. As promised, he had delivered an amazing meal for his roommates. All it had taken was a single phone call.

‘Oh good, you got dinner,’ Casey and Xavier walked into the open kitchen and settled on the table. They were hungry boys and they needed food. ‘Oi dude, where’s my rolls?’

‘All in good time,’ Dex placed the takeaway box in front of Xavier and he relaxed. As long as he had his spring rolls, he was a happy man. Dex turned to Casey. ‘Duck noodles?’

‘Thanks,’ Casey dug in. ‘I beat my high score on Wii boxing today,’

‘Your day sounds really productive, Case,’ Dex replied jokingly. ‘Here we are; a respectable police officer and a dutiful nurse out saving the day and you bashed a cartoon guy,’

‘Well, Casey should’ve been a fireman and then I’d have the entire emergency services team at my beck and call,’ Ruby walked in at that moment, undid her scarf and took off her bag, placing them both on the couch before joining them at the table. Paper noodle boxes lay on the table. She peered into one, ‘Really boys, we’re having Thai again?’

‘Here,’ Xavier passed her a paper box and she dug in to her honey chicken noodles. Swallowing his spring roll, Xav grinned. ‘You can never have too much takeaway. She’s right, you know. Fire brigades good business.

‘No thanks. At least teaching gives guaranteed summer holidays. Which one of you is working the night shift on Christmas?’ Dex looked sheepish. Casey was right, when you were in the business of saving lives, it didn’t stop for the holidays. People could get hurt on Christmas, and Hanukkah and New Year as much as any other day.

‘Hey Rubes, you ever want to be a firewoman when you were little?’ Dex asked. Xavier blushed as he thought she would be more likely to start fires. Especially in the aqua summery dress she was wearing, accentuating her figure.

‘No, I wanted to be a character on Mickey Mouse believe it or not. Four year old me really thought it was possible,’ Ruby took another forkful from her paper noodle box.

‘Sounds like you must’ve been a cute kid,’ Casey acknowledged but this received a nasty glare from Ruby.

Ruby pursed her lips tightly and struggled to cover up a scoff. ‘Whatever,’

Casey just shrugged while Xavier and Dex exchanged looks. They were all used to the sudden chill.

‘Brax, why are you doing this to yourself?’ Charlie lay in bed with him, gently stroking his face with pity in her eyes. She was in her white night dress and Jade was fast asleep in the next room.

Brax leaned in closer to her with his arm around her waist, ‘Why am I doing what? I’m not doing anything,’

Charlie sighed and sat up slowly. She belonged in Brax’ subconscious and his subconscious was telling him it was wrong, that she didn’t belong, and that was what she’d been telling him for weeks. Charlie looked back at the sprawling man. ‘It’s not the end of the world if I’m not here,’

‘No, it’s not, but you don’t have to go,’ Brax gently nudged Charlie’s shoulders so she lay back down next to him. He held on to her for dear life, revelling in the warmth she exuded from her skin, the smell of her minty breath on his face, every little detail. ‘Do you remember our first time?’

‘How could I forget? I was so determined to hate you,’ Charlie giggled.

‘But my irresistible charms won out in the end, eh?’ Brax grinned. This earned him a playful punch in the arm for his arrogance.

‘More like your annoying persistence,’ Charlie teased softly. ‘Your charms came later,’

In an instant, it seemed like there wasn’t any distance between them. Brax whispered in her ear, ‘I never thought I’d be doing this with you,’

Charlie led her hand tickle over his body. Her voice was equally low and wanting, ‘Doing what? This?’

Brax bit his lip as Charlie ran her palm up his chest. He moved on top of her, taking her hands and pinning their teasing touch away from him. He kissed her softly and felt the soft moisture of her on his lips, ‘And that,’

‘Oh?’ Charlie smiled.

‘Yeah, oh,’ Brax returned the gesture again. And then, he nuzzled his face into her neck. ‘You know, I nearly told Liam you were expecting me for dinner tonight when he asked if I was doing the evening shift,’

Brax’ admittance was reluctantly worded but honest. Charlie hugged him as he nervously looked into her eyes, smiling reassuringly, ‘Well, that wouldn’t have been very wise, would it?’

Brax shook his head. He could just imagine the look on Liam’s face if he’d said such a thing. It wouldn’t have been very wise at all.

Nice chapter!!! It's so sad that Brax really doesn 't have anyone other then his recollections & visions of Charlie!! I get that Ruby is hurting .. but doesn't she really have to be so cold & nasty to Brax ???

Ruby is not impressing me at all :angry:

Jade wanting a little orca whale .. now that did make me laugh :lol:

Please update soon!! xx

Archived