Shadow of the Day

Guest mizziette

Awesome chapter,

Rubys comment about having the whole emergency unit at her beck and call if Casey was a fireman cracked me up :lol:!!

I agree with other comments - obviously rubys hurting and that's fair enough, Brax is hurting just as much as she is :(!! While I get that she thinks that none of this would have ever happened Charlie If she hadn't have been with Brax, all the same Jake was the one who chose to hurt Charlie - Brax had nothing to do with that!!

Aww poor Brax Is so reluctant to let his visions go :(!!

More soon please :D

• Replies 316
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Thanks for the comments

FOURTEEN

Bianca was blindfolded and a little nervous. She liked to be in control so relinquishing control, even on her eyesight, was uncomfortable for her but she’d agreed regardless. The excited look on Liam’s face had informed her that her refusal would disappoint him. ‘Liam, how much longer do I have to keep this thing on?’

Liam just chuckled. To Bianca’s relief they were in her car and not Liam’s bike. She didn’t think she could handle being blindfolded on the back of a motorbike. Slowly, she could feel herself moving with the vehicle as it turned corners and eventually, they came to a stop.

Bianca waited patiently. The engine ceased to a halt, and then the click of the seatbelt unbuckling, followed by the sound of the door opening and shutting. And then soft footsteps before the passenger door opened and Bianca felt the rush of the humid summer night air.

Liam took her hand and helped Bianca out of the car. ‘You ready?’

‘Ready for what exactly?’ Bianca stood still while she heard the door closing and the car locking. ‘Liam, take this off,’

‘All in good time, a little patience won’t kill you,’ Liam took her elbow and guided her down. She could feel the soft soil sinking her heels with each step and hear the sound of water crashing nearby.

‘Why are we outside? My shoes are going to get ruined, it rained this morning,’ As if by will, Bianca immediately felt the hardness of wooden planking under her feet. She assumed they were going inside now.

Until, her arm was let go and Liam walked ahead of her. He took her hand and led her slowly. ‘Watch your step. Step up,’

‘Liam, you know I hate surprises, why couldn’t we just stay at home and…’ Bianca stepped up as she’d been told and realised that the floor beneath her was shaking. Her complaining grew. ‘Oh my god, tell me we’re not on a boat? I can’t believe you…’

The blindfold came off and Bianca’s voice softened. ‘I can’t believe you did this for me,’

Liam smiled. He had borrowed the Blaxland from Alf and decked it out with fairy lights and set up a romantic dinner for two. He’d even cooked himself. Taking a champagne flute, he handed one to his wife, ‘Apple cider?’

Bianca took a sip as she admired her surroundings. ‘This is perfect,’

‘So are you, I wanted to do something nice for you,’ after sipping his champagne, he placed it on the table, taking a remote and pressing a button. The warm night instantly filled with soft slow music. He offered his hand. ‘Dance with me, babe?’

Bianca put down her glass and moved into him, her arms around his shoulders. They moved slowly to the music, just the two of them, and nothing else. This was just what she needed; a break from her hectic life.

Charlie had known Georgina Watson since childhood but they were never friends. Three years younger than her, Georgina had never been privy to the inside world of Charlie but her sister Fiona had. Georgie had only ever been an outsider looking in; in on Charlie’s friendship with her sister.

High school came and went, and Charlie had jetted off to the police academy. It wasn’t until Georgie and Charlie came to work together in Summer Bay, that they established a friendship. They had fast become friends and over the years forged a strong connection, which was why seeing Charlie broken after she went missing had broken her heart.

It had been a month after Charlie’s disappearance and Georgie had noticed Jake Pirovic’s car hurling down Yabee Creek road with the inexperience and speed of an inexperienced driver. Thinking there was a troublesome teen behind the wheel, Georgie immediately followed, sirens turning. To her surprise, the vehicle instantly halted, half crashing into a tree.

What came next baffled her. Charlie came stumbling out of the driver’s seat, barely able to stand. Georgie gulped as she noticed the bleeding head, the painful wincing and the puffy bruises. Without a thought, she stepped out of the squad car. ‘Charlie?’

Charlie collapsed onto the road, legs buckling unable to support her meagre weight. The tears came flowing. Georgie rushed over to her and hugged her friend protectively, not even thinking about surveying the situation. Luckily, Charlie had been the only one in the car.

A mile away, in an abandoned hospital, Jake lay bleeding from the head; courtesy of the pan Charlie had hit him with in her escape attempt. It wouldn’t be long before someone found him.

While Georgie and Xavier sat in the squad car at night waiting for unlucky people to breathalyse five years later, she couldn’t help but think about all the times she’d done this exact thing with Charlie. She missed her old partner that was for sure.

‘You take the next one,’ Georgie yawned. She had always hated the graveyard shift; it was either so busy it wore you out or so quiet it made you sleepy. This was a quiet night.

Xavier sat in the driver’s seat, equally bored but not as sleepy. The younger of the two, he could withstand the late hours much better. ‘I took the last one;’

‘Quit complaining Austin, I’ll take the next two, if it’ll make you happy,’ Georgie smiled and leaned back in the passenger seat. Late nights with Austin were nothing like late nights with Buckton. With Charlie, it had all been gossip and more gossip to fill in the blanks when crime wasn’t being fought. It was a Tuesday night and a quiet one at that; chances were nothing major would occur.

Ruby could feel her skin tingling as if butterflies were fluttering their wings softly on it. In the passenger’s seat, she felt completely at ease, the world around her giving off exuberance as if each object in the dull empty road had taken on a new meaning. The world was suddenly brighter, the trees were dancing, the stars were flying and the smell of strawberries was vivid and sweet to her nose. Better yet, she could taste it on her tongue.

The world was hers for the taking and Ruby was revelling in it, finding magic in every road sign, laughing in her beautiful thoughts about her friends. In that moment, she loved everyone and made a habit of letting them know. ‘I love you guys,’

‘We love you too Rubes,’ Elle would swoon in the driver’s seat, and then they’d all spread the love some more. The effects of their consumption had well and truly taken effect.

Hunter, the blonde boy in the back, moved forward and tried to move to the front of the car, nudging Elle as he did, causing her to swerve a little. He laughed cheerfully and sat in Ruby’s seat, causing her to sit on his lap. ‘I love both you girls,’

Ruby wrapped her arms around his neck as she sat sideways on his lap and giggled. She took another sip from her vodka bottle. Hunter took another sip as well and gave it to Elle who followed suit in between driving. Their little red Honda sped through the roads, and Elle was too high to be aware of the speed she was travelling.

‘When I’m little, I really loved my pretty pink princess doll,’ Ruby announced. ‘She was the love of my life,’

‘That’s real sweet Rubes,’ Hunter admitted, his arms around her waist.

‘Yeah, real sweet,’ Elle assured her blankly. She glanced at the two on her passenger seat, no longer focussing on the road. ‘Its super sweet,’

In the spur of the moment, Ruby leant into Hunter’s chest and kissed his cheek. Hunter glanced up and then they began kissing on the lips. More and more, Ruby got into it. They didn’t stop until seconds later when the sirens started roaring behind them.

‘Oh no, it’s the cops!’ Elle exclaimed and kept at the speed she was going. ‘Pretend you’re all good,’

By the time they pulled over and the cop came around, the three party goers tried to pretend they were completely sober. Of course, the fact that they were all in the front of the car without seat belts didn’t occur to them.

‘Ma’am, do you have your licence and…Ruby?’ Xavier was shocked when he noticed the drunken passenger, especially since she was all over some idiot. He couldn’t help but purse his lips.

‘Xavier! Thank god, it’s you. We thought you were the cops!’ Ruby cheerfully exclaimed. Xavier looked down at himself dressed in the very apparent blue of an Australian police uniform. He didn’t comment on the obvious; he was a cop. ‘Have you met my new friend Hunter, he’s so amazing!’

Xavier couldn’t help but cringe in jealousy as Ruby placed a big sloppy kiss on Hunter’s cheek. He balled his hand into a fist as he noticed Hunter’s touch. Instead of focussing on them, he turned his attention to the driver, ‘Licence, miss?’

‘Oh come on honey, I’m a friend of old Rubes, you don’t need my licence,’ Elle tried, failing to mask her state.

‘You were driving fifteen kilometres over the speed limit. It doesn’t matter whose friend you are,’ Xavier tried to remain professional but Ruby had him concerned. Summer Bay was a small town and once in a while, running into friends on the job was inevitable but he’d never seen his roommate so wasted. Xavier looked at the breathalyser in his hand and he knew what he had to do but was reluctant to do it.

Elle showed him the licence; she was Elinor Henley of Reefton Lakes, twenty four years old and a Scorpio with an AB blood type. It was amazing what one could tell from a driver’s licence. But a breath test could tell more. And Elle failed this test miserably. And given there were two people in the passenger seat…Ruby was equally in trouble.

Xavier looked back at Sergeant Watson waiting for him in the squad car and sighed. He hated this but he had no choice. The test not only showed an alcohol level of 0.17 but a morbidly high level of amphetamines. ‘Could you please step out of the car?’

Ruby giggled playfully, the bottle in her hand dripping as she struggled with her balance. ‘Xav, don’t be such a party pooper!’

Xavier shook his head, embarrassed by her friend’s behaviour and equally concerned by it. This was not going to be a fun night.

BIIIIIIIG catch up for me …..SEVEN chapters !!!

I LOOOOOVE the way you write the Bianca sitch !!!!!! and "shock" that I'm on Ruby's side about Brax adopting Jade !!!!!That was ALL ace, especially ......

 ‘‘Not much. I saw Ruby again yesterday.’

‘Yeah, I’ve seen her couple of times too. We just exchanged pleasantries in passing, really. Haven’t talked properly yet. She doesn’t seem as open as she used to be.’

‘I guess it’s the time of year. It’s got to be hard for her.’ Leah set the full cup down and placed the paper lid on top. She opened up the muffin tray and took out a large vanilla muffin, putting it on the counter as well. ‘I don’t have any choc-chip ones today, vanilla alright?’

Bianca nodded and took out her purse to pay. Colleen, who had been putting her nosy ears to good use, decided she needed to have her say. ‘You know, I’ve seen that Ruby prancing around drunk in the wee hours of the morning dressed in next to nothing. And all those unsavoury boys, I don’t care what day it is; she should be ashamed of herself.’

‘She’s had it tough most of her life, it’s just been one disaster after another, I’d be a mess if it was me,’ Bianca defended Ruby.

‘I can believe that,’ Colleen glanced at the blonde woman judgementally. Bianca just found it amusing and brushed it off. And then, a group of young female surfers walked in, with them bringing the promise of another busy diner day.

 ‘What’s it say?’ From her position at the head of the dining table to the right of Brax, armed with a mauve marker, she looked up at him anticipating an answer.

‘I don’t know. What would you like to tell her?’ Brax smiled.

Jade contemplated, glancing up at the ceiling as she thought. Then just like magic, it came to her. ‘Ooh, I know, I know,’

‘What?’ Brax put the last piece of his sandwich in his mouth. As he pushed the plate away to the side, Jade pushed the folded pink paper towards her father and gave him the marker.

‘Dear mummy,’ Jade began and Brax started scribing for her. ‘I love you this much.’

Jade lifted her arms as far away from each other as she could, in indication of her love for Charlie. Brax wondered how he was going to put that on a card. ‘Is that all?’

‘Guess what mummy, I have sister,’ Jade exclaimed. ‘And her name Ruby and we play all the time. You should meet her, she so much fun.’ A pause, ‘Daddy, do you miss her?’

 The father and daughter walked through the dry mown grass in the hilly parkland on their way to Charlie’s. As they moved closer, Brax felt the sudden pang in his heart as the reality of the day dawned on him. There was a large oak tree some feet away from them, their destination.

‘In loving memory of

Charlotte Buckton [1979-2013],

For whom we bear an eternal heartache,

Til the moment we meet again,’

The pink card was placed on the grass before the headstone. It had been three years since that headstone had been erected. Brax looked up straight ahead and smiled as he noticed Charlie leaning against the tree in the distance. She smiled back at him.

‘Daddy, what you smiling at?’ Jade asked innocently as her tiny little hand was engulfed into her dad’s large one.

‘Nothing,’ Brax took his eyes off Charlie and glanced down at her. ‘That’s daddy’s little secret,’

 Before she knew it, Bianca was taking her arm and throwing each object on the vanity at the wall. In a fit, she ripped the clothes off the hangers onto the floor, threw the pillows around and groaned just for the hell of it. With each fling of a perfume bottle, alarm clock, lamp, all the frustrations filed out of her.

This was for Charlie, who Bianca had abandoned. For the two miscarriages Bianca had suffered recently, for the two children Charlie had which hadn’t even wanted in the first place, for the baby she had yet to conceive, if ever. For Liam, who’d done nothing to deserve the mess that was Bianca and for her parents who had never been there for their daughter. Even a little for a certain Italian prince probably cheating on yet another sad excuse of a woman. Every tear and every object she hurled represented all the hurt in her heart. All the vulnerability and sadness in Bianca’s life was encompassed into that moment.

And with a final slam of Liam’s unfortunate guitar, she dropped to the floor, leaning against the wall. The moment had passed. Picking herself up, Bianca calmly sat at the vanity and wiped her tears, redid her makeup and smoothed down her hair. Yet again, the woman examined her once again meticulous self in the mirror and smiled before making her way downstairs.

 ‘Ruby, my name is Ruby.’ As if she’d let him call her Rubes. That nickname was preserved for friends and family. And Darryl Braxton was neither of friend nor family. The only family she had now was Jade.

‘Okay, Ruby. This doesn’t have to be a big deal. I’m already raising Jade. She calls me dad, for god’s sake. What’s a piece of paper to you?’

‘What’s this piece of paper to you?’ Ruby snapped back. She crumpled up the adoption papers in her hand and threw it past the couch like it was vermin. Where Brax was full of understanding and pleading, Ruby was full of spite.

‘It’s a sentiment. To our relationship, mine and Jade’s. And I’d appreciate your blessing, if you’ll…’ Brax’ heart felt heavy. He just wanted them all to get along but he understood Ruby’s feelings towards him. He had felt that blame too years ago and fleetingly afterwards but it wasn’t healthy. It was eating Ruby up and he hated to see her hurt.

‘How sweet of you,’ Sarcasm. Ruby had really started now. The emotion and hurt in her eyes was unmistakable. Tears formed. ‘Do you honestly think that I’m going to let you adopt her? She’s my sister, my family, not yours! Mine. You can’t take her away from me.’

‘Ruby, I don’t want to. I’m not trying to take anything away from you. I promise.’ Brax knew all too well that a promise from him meant nothing to Ruby. But still. ‘I know you don’t believe me but I do care about you.’

‘You’re right, I don’t believe that,’ Ruby couldn’t look him in the eye; she was desperately trying to fight back tears. Her voice squeaked with pain, each word gaining more force. ‘Jade is called Buckton for a reason. That little girl in there is my only family, and I can tell you right now, my sister will never, ever, be a Braxton. Do you hear me?’

‘Stop, you shout,’ Both Ruby and Brax looked towards the hall entrance where a concerned Jade looking up at them with wide eyes hugging her teddy tightly for comfort. Ruby immediately softened her face and wiped away her tears. Brax also removed the pain from his face.

‘Hey sweetie, daddy’s sorry eh,’ Jade walked slowly to her father so she could be hugged. Brax more than happily obliged. ‘We didn’t mean to shout,’

‘How come you angry?’ Jade’s lips quivered as she stood between her two family members. She was too young to understand what was going on but she knew something was wrong. She thought it was her fault; why else would they keep saying her name?

Brax and Ruby looked at each other. Ruby forced herself to smile. ‘It’s just something silly honey. Are you ready to go to the park?’ Jade nodded unconvinced, with tears in her eyes.

As the girls were walking out, Ruby at the back, the young woman took one stern glance at Brax. The two made eye contact briefly, and yet again, Ruby Buckton walked out.

 The moon was full and lit up the ocean til it almost looked translucent. It was just one of those peaceful, magical summer nights. At least until the moment he heard the sound of laughter from the greenery. A few more steps and he recognised Ruby’s voice.

‘You’re just the sweetest for sharing. Thank you so much,’ Ruby was hugging a scraggly blonde, probably one of her clubbing friends. Little did Xavier know that the girl had given Ruby a little yellow pill at the Christmas bash and had given her more moments earlier. If he had, Xavier would have dragged his friend the hell out of there.

And then she threw up, thankfully in the opposite direction of Xavier. Taking the bottle of vodka out of her hands, holding Ruby’s hair back with the other, he sighed deeply. He’d known she artied a lot, but never had the pleasure of seeing it first hand in the month she’d been staying at the Austin’s. ‘Let’s get you home,’

After giving the girl a piece of mint, Xavier held Ruby’s face with both hands, wiping her sweaty hair back from her face. She looked dazed. ‘You’re really pretty Xav, you know,’

‘Can’t say any one’s called me pretty before,’ Xav couldn’t help but chuckle.

‘Well, you are. You’re so happy and strong and buff and pretty.’ Ruby’s sad face nestled into his neck, hands hugging him drunkenly. She squeezed his bicep beneath the shirtsleeve. ‘Well, maybe not that buff… plus you’re not happy when I take too long in the bathroom but…you’re like crush me like an ant strong, that’s how strong you are. And so good, you’re so good.’

 ‘Well, Ruby, you’re aware that Charlie was repeatedly assaulted sexually…’ Ruby nodded, ‘it appears that Charlie is 3 weeks pregnant.’

Ruby grabbed Brax’ hand in dread and squeezed tightly. She knew exactly what that meant. ‘Does she know?’

Sid shook his head. ‘At the moment, she has no recollection of what’s happened to her. I thought it might be better coming from family.’

‘Not again.’ Ruby leaned into Brax in tears. The first time had been bad enough, but to be the victim of the same unthinkable crime twice in a lifetime? Twice Charlie had been harmed, once as a child and again as an adult; twice pregnant from overly tragic circumstances. It was an invasion no woman should feel and yet Charlie was being forced to suffer through it twice.

Ruby didn’t think it was fair at all. Looking at Brax, the man who’d introduced them to the Pirovic family, Ruby pursed her lips and moved abruptly away from his embrace, as if his touch was fire, as if she was suddenly seeing him in a new, darker light.

 Once she was alone, Ruby placed the coffee mug on the table and picked up the pink card. On the anniversary of her mother’s death, she had seen Brax and Jade at the grave, Jade placing the pink card on the soil in front of it. As Ruby watched Brax standing there on the ground Charlie lay resting, she thought of one thing: get away from my mother’s grave.

There was an innocence to Jade’s letter to their mother; an innocence that brought tears to Ruby’s eyes. The poor girl was one when Charlie died, she wouldn’t even remember. But Jade still loved her. The words in the little pink card in Ruby’s hand were proof. And when Ruby had found it lying near the headstone after Brax had left, it had broken her heart.

 The first few weeks of her handicap- because that’s what it felt like, a handicap- Charlie felt her memories trickle back to her slowly. It wasn’t until April, a good four months afterwards, that the seven missing years flooded back to her in the middle of the night, while asleep. Charlie had woken up the next morning with a full recollection of her life.

That same morning, Brax had woken up to a tortured scream. It belonged to Charlie. Casey and Heath- who had both still been living there- stepped out of their rooms to pinpoint the source of the scream. Brax, jumping out of his make shift bed on the couch found Charlie easy to locate; in his bedroom. The sight of Charlie’s wailing body, lying in bed crying was paining. Brax immediately rushed and rocked the wailing woman like a child. ‘It’s okay,’

‘I remember everything,’ it had been a good half hour before Charlie had been able to formulate comprehensible words. As she lay in Brax’ arms she couldn’t imagine ever forgetting him in the first place. Beneath her hands was a pregnant stomach, four months gone, and as Charlie stroked it aimlessly, all she could think of was that the little person inside of her held a little piece of jake.

‘Don’t worry, beautiful,’ Brax would whisper into Charlie’s hair. He gently placed his hand on top of hers on the belly. ‘As far as I’m concerned, this baby’s as good as mine,’

This was the point in history Darryl Braxton had been dreaming of when he woke up one day over four years later, lying in his bed staring at the ceiling in the warmth of December.

 Placing the creased adoption papers back in its drawer carefully, Brax took his beer and sighed as he sat back on the couch. His reputation had nearly caused him to lose guardianship - if it hadn’t been for Charlie’s will, Jade might’ve been with Morag- and now that same reputation haunted him in the form of Ruby’s intolerance.

‘She’ll come around, you’ll see,’ Charlie laid a hand on his shoulder as Brax took a mouthful of his beer. It had been much of the same for weeks since the fight with Ruby. He was torn between two Bucktons, Charlie’s two jewels, one who loved him like a father, one who thought him the bad guy, both of whom Brax loved and considered as his own children.

‘She’s never come around before,’ another swill from his bottle, this time was followed by a deep melancholy sigh.

‘There’s a first time for everything,’ Charlie sat on the arm of the couch, her arm around Brax’ shoulder, so he could lean in. The faint melody of Jade’s piano could be heard in her bedroom.

‘How’re you always so positive?’

‘Because you want me to be,’ Charlie’s answer was blunt. ‘You know, technically, if you think about it, I am you,’

‘I don’t like technicalities, eh,’ Brax knew she was right but he couldn’t admit it. For now, he could feel the tingle of Charlie’s fingers on his shoulder, her breath on his face, her voice music to his ears. Brax could touch Charlie, Brax could see Charlie, and he could even smell the strawberry scented perfume she always wore. Brax didn’t care that he may or may not be losing his mind; those little things were all that mattered.

 ‘It…It’s my fault…that…’ Bianca couldn’t get the words out. Every word felt like fire on her tongue. ‘I was…’

‘Bianca, it’s okay. You can tell me anything,’ Liam too Bianca’s hands in his and turned his body towards her. The concern in his eyes was heart-warming.

Faced with the reality of Liam, Bianca couldn’t go through with it. How she to tell this man, the man that she had vowed to spend eternity with, that it was all her fault? How was she to tell Liam about Charlie? Bianca wiped away the serious demeanour on her face and replaced it with a well-practiced smile.

 ‘Daddy, oh my god, you would not believe…’ Jade jumped up and down ecstatically. They had just returned from the aquarium. ‘Did you know whales can sing too? Just like me. Just like Ruby. I want whale for Christmas so we can all sing together.’

Brax’ eyes popped out of his head. Why couldn’t she ask for a pony like every other little girl? At least that might’ve been doable. ‘You want what now?’

‘A whale,’ Jade’s eyes glistened. ‘A pretty baby orca whale, just like Willy, they’re so cute. Daddy, can I, can I, can I?’

‘Where on earth am I supposed to put a whale?’

‘In Summer Bay, Australia, that’s where,’ Jade sighed at his ignorance. ‘Ruby wants one too, don’t you?’

For the first time, Ruby, who had been standing amused by the door, stepped in. ‘I don’t think it’s for me.’

‘Are you sure?’ Brax joked but the response was less than amiable. Ruby’s glare wiped the smile off his face. He turned back to Jade. ‘How about a puppy instead?’

‘No thanks, I want whale,’ Jade got off Brax’ lap and ran into her room. ‘I’ll be back,’

 ‘Your day sounds really productive, Case,’ Dex replied jokingly. ‘Here we are; a respectable police officer and a dutiful nurse out saving the day and you bashed a cartoon guy,’

‘Well, Casey should’ve been a fireman and then I’d have the entire emergency services team at my beck and call,’ Ruby walked in at that moment, undid her scarf and took off her bag, placing them both on the couch before joining them at the table. Paper noodle boxes lay on the table. She peered into one, ‘Really boys, we’re having Thai again?’

 ‘Hey Rubes, you ever want to be a firewoman when you were little?’ Dex asked. Xavier blushed as he thought she would be more likely to start fires. Especially in the aqua summery dress she was wearing, accentuating her figure.

‘No, I wanted to be a character on Mickey Mouse believe it or not. Four year old me really thought it was possible,’ Ruby took another forkful from her paper noodle box.

 Charlie sighed and sat up slowly. She belonged in Brax’ subconscious and his subconscious was telling him it was wrong, that she didn’t belong, and that was what she’d been telling him for weeks. Charlie looked back at the sprawling man. ‘It’s not the end of the world if I’m not here,’

 Charlie had known Georgina Watson since childhood but they were never friends. Three years younger than her, Georgina had never been privy to the inside world of Charlie but her sister Fiona had. Georgie had only ever been an outsider looking in; in on Charlie’s friendship with her sister.

High school came and went, and Charlie had jetted off to the police academy. It wasn’t until Georgie and Charlie came to work together in Summer Bay, that they established a friendship. They had fast become friends and over the years forged a strong connection, which was why seeing Charlie broken after she went missing had broken her heart.

It had been a month after Charlie’s disappearance and Georgie had noticed Jake Pirovic’s car hurling down Yabee Creek road with the inexperience and speed of an inexperienced driver. Thinking there was a troublesome teen behind the wheel, Georgie immediately followed, sirens turning. To her surprise, the vehicle instantly halted, half crashing into a tree.

What came next baffled her. Charlie came stumbling out of the driver’s seat, barely able to stand. Georgie gulped as she noticed the bleeding head, the painful wincing and the puffy bruises. Without a thought, she stepped out of the squad car. ‘Charlie?’

Charlie collapsed onto the road, legs buckling unable to support her meagre weight. The tears came flowing. Georgie rushed over to her and hugged her friend protectively, not even thinking about surveying the situation. Luckily, Charlie had been the only one in the car.

A mile away, in an abandoned hospital, Jake lay bleeding from the head; courtesy of the pan Charlie had hit him with in her escape attempt. It wouldn’t be long before someone found him.

While Georgie and Xavier sat in the squad car at night waiting for unlucky people to breathalyse five years later, she couldn’t help but think about all the times she’d done this exact thing with Charlie. She missed her old partner that was for sure.

FIFTEEN

‘After Kitty, when I was three, I had Hammy the hamster and I was so excited I patted it every five minutes until she died of fright and I cried for days afterwards. And there was Moo, he was my Dalmatian, he got his name because I thought he was a baby cow because of the black and white spots. After that, for my sixth birthday, I got Goldie and Fishie and they were my goldfish, by this time Moo had run away. They died in two days because Charlie forgot to feed them; I didn’t forgive her for two whole hours, that’s how mad I was.’

Ruby took a deep breath before continuing. ‘Peggy was my hen two years later and I didn’t eat chicken the whole time I had her but she kept sneaking under the fence and getting it on with the rooster next door and eventually made chicks; dad got mad and sent her and her babies away to the farm. It was quite the neighbourhood scandal. I also got a snake called Lulu who ate rats and Charlie was scared so she got sent away too to the zoo. I mean Lulu, not Charlie. Charlie didn’t like the zoo, dad would never send her away there.’

‘Oh my god, before Lulu, there was my other dog Raymond; he was really old and wrinkly and liked to sleep a lot. He had cancer and arthritis and eye problems and god knows what else oh…’ Ruby continued on her detailed explanation of her childhood pets.

This was what Xavier walked in on the morning after the arrest when he’d entered the holding area to take Ruby out of her cell. He’d even paid her bail himself. When he heard Ruby’s incoherent rambling and noticed the poor constable supervising the cells and his worn expression, Xavier felt for the man.

‘Oh Xav, this is my friend Constable Gunn, and he even carries a gun,’ Ruby gleamed when she noticed Xavier walking towards her cell with the keys. ‘We had the most fun chatting,’

‘Unfortunately, she did most of the talking,’ Constable Gunn grumbled, the tone of his voice less than amused. For the sake of his sanity, he hoped never to see Ruby Buckton and her drunken knack for story telling in his cells ever again. Ruby’s cellmates felt similarly.

With an apologetic look, Xavier escorted Ruby outside and made sure she signed the paperwork while she wordily described Charlie’s dead husky Chuck. And then they were on the road, Xavier having finished his night shift and Ruby had finished her stint in jail. Thankfully, the ride home was quieter.

‘Well, worst case scenario, you’ll get community service since it’s your first offence, if you’re lucky a hefty fine. You should keep your bank accounts full,’ Xavier filled the silence. Ruby had been charged for not wearing a seatbelt and possession-she had two yellow pills in her pocket.

‘You don’t look so good,’ Ruby noticed. She sat in the passenger seat, this time with the seatbelt tightly strapped. In the hour after her release, the high had started to die down a bit.

‘Rubes, I just arrested my friend and bailed her out of jail,’ Xavier grumbled. Technically, Georgie had arrested her to avoid a conflict of interest but he had still had to deal with her professionally. ‘I didn’t exactly have the greatest night at work.’

‘Yeah, and I’m really sorry about that, like you said, it’s not that bad,’ Ruby seemed a little too nonchalant about her predicament. She couldn’t see the severity of her situation.

‘Yeah Rubes, I’m sorry too,’ Xavier sighed and they continued on their way in silence.

She wore a strapless cream dress the day she died. There was a lunch in her honour and Charlie had to look her best. Of course, for Charlie, a woman who looked good even in sweats, this wasn’t a difficult task. But still, she did her hair, did her makeup and wore the strapless cream dress. It was a shame that dress would be soiled by the sorrowful stench which was death.

It was Leah that found her. Charlie had looked so peaceful that at first she’d thought her friend was sleeping. Only difference was, her chest didn’t rise and fall with regularity as all sleepers do; her chest lay perfectly still. There was no blood, no scars, just her peaceful self in the strapless cream dress which she wore for her lunch. A lunch she would never attend.

Lunch three years later was a little more pleasant. The diner was busier than ever and Leah had her hands full manning the kitchen. She hustled and bustled around with a wide cheerful smile on her face, slightly humming.

‘Table three doesn’t want pickles in her burger, nine is still waiting for their picnic basket and I want to know what you’re doing that’s making you so happy,’ Irene smiled at Leah as she entered the kitchen with plates. ‘Well love, spill,’

‘Do I need a reason to be happy?’ Leah laughed coyly as she chopped up the carrots into fine pieces.

‘Ooh, it’s a man, isn’t it? It’s a secret liaison, that’s why we haven’t heard of it, like Sergeant Buckton had, God bless her soul,’ Colleen piped in from near the refrigerator and walked over to them solemnly. ‘I hope it’s not Darryl Braxton; Lord knows you need some male company but that Braxton boy won’t do you good. Just look at what happened to the dear sergeant. Taken before her time,’

‘Oh Colleen, I’m not with Brax!’ Leah exclaimed in annoyance. How did she ever put up with that woman? ‘Actually, I’m not with any man, despite my best efforts.’

Leah had been single for a while. Her last serious relationship was Robert Robertson, who’d returned to investigate Stu Henderson’s murder years ago. His profession had gotten in the way; it caused Leah too much worry and they eventually parted ways. There’d been dates and short flings after that, but nothing substantial. Either way, she’d always have a man in her life; VJ.

‘Well, I should hope you’re not putting too much effort,’ Colleen responded with her nose in the air. ‘Desperation is quite unflattering on women our age,’

‘Our age?’ Leah shook her head; she was thirty nine, that wasn’t that old. She turned to Irene. ‘You know, actually there is a reason for my happiness and it has nothing to do with my love life. VJ got his HSC results back,’

‘Yeah love, I heard,’ Irene congratulated. ‘He’s a little genius, that one. I can remember when he was just a little baby; your boy’s all grown up, finishing high school,’

‘Yeah,’ there was a touch of sadness in Leah’s voice. ‘He got accepted into Northern Districts University, studying marine biology. Working part time in the whale enclosure at the aquarium really inspired him so he’s pursuing it as a career.’

‘Oh, so he changed his mind, did he?’ Colleen asked pryingly. Leah looked back at her in confusion and the older woman elaborated. ‘About the whale research program, I mean. The volunteer position the aquarium offered him; the six month expedition. He must’ve turned it down if he’s going to university. Waste of a good opportunity if you ask me,’

‘What volunteer program?’ Leah frowned, her pride replaced with concern.

‘Oh, he didn’t tell you? Oh dear. Yes, I heard him talking about it with Darcy Callaghan the other day. The boy was quite excited about it. Apparently not excited enough,’ with that Colleen disappeared with the plates, off to table three to serve the burger without the pickles, leaving Leah looking chagrined.

Brax couldn’t help but smile when he saw Charlie walk out of the water, shaking her wet hair. Slowly, she smiled as she walked up to him. ‘Wow,’

‘I always knew you liked me,’ the bikini she wore was bright red and she leant to fix the tie on it. Brax nodded; his eyes nowhere near her face.

‘Why don’t you wipe off that grin, Braxton?’ Charlie teased and laughed as she moved to wring her hair, the drops making dark wet patches on the dry sand. ‘We’re on a public beach; anyone will think you’re lost your marbles, grinning at the ocean like you have no care in the world,’

Brax searched the beach and saw no one around. It was still early, still just after dawn, so there was no one around. Jade was sleeping over with Harry Holden, and he’d wanted to go surfing. Brax shrugged with a smile. ‘I don’t see anyone, do you?’

‘I don’t remember owning a bikini like this when I was alive,’ Charlie gestured to her barely there bright red bikini. It did nothing for modesty. ‘If only Colleen could see me, she’d have a heart attack,’

‘Sorry,’ Brax really wasn’t all that sorry. Seeing her in that bikini was most definitely not a sorry sight.

‘No, you’re not, but that’s okay, I forgive you. I know how to let things go,’ Charlie smiled and walked along the beach. She turned around.

Brax knew what she was doing; asking him if he knew how to let her go. The answer was a lot more complicated than a simple yes or no. ‘How about we hit the water?’

‘Sounds like a plan,’ Charlie beamed and picked up a cream surfboard from the sand. ‘Really, you got me a surfboard too?’

‘This is my fantasy, Charlie, don’t mess with it,’ Brax laughed and ran into the water. ‘I’ll race you!’

‘Hey!’ Charlie was chagrined that he got the upper hand. Racing after him, she finally caught up and pushed him into the water cheekily. They laughed and before long, the couple were splashing each other playfully. Brax grabbed Charlie and swung her through the water.

Back on land, Colleen was making her way to the diner for the morning shift when she noticed a certain Braxton brother splashing around all alone laughing oddly far out in the ocean. She shook her head and just as Charlie had predicted, she came to the conclusion that it was all quite strange. Luckily for Brax, Colleen discarded the thought and continued on her way with not so much as a glance back.

Sorry fell abit behind with this

Chapter 14

So Leah found Charlie's body I don't think Jake killed her now. very interesting. I was worried that Ruby was going to be in a car crash with her friends so phew she wasn't. Felt for Xavier there abit but I guess it was his job to book them.

Chapter 15

I found Rubys rambling about her pets very funny that made me laugh. :lol:

Trust Colleen to spill the beans about VJ to Leah,

Brax is in a very dark place with the whole Charlie vision thing I hope he gets some kind of help.

I have a feeling Colleen will end up saying something about seeing him talking to himself.

Great chapters and great story

Archived