Shadow of the Day

Guest mizziette

• Replies 316
  • Created
  • Last Reply

thank you so much for the comments.

THREE

Brax woke up groggily and reluctantly stepped out of bed. Walking out of his room, he noticed a petite figure swamped in his blue checked shirt which reached halfway down her thigh. It had been a while since he’d seen Charlie watching her through the door in the mornings. There was a pang in his heart when he realized how much he missed it.

Walking slowly up to her from behind, he placed a kiss on the back of her hair as she stood leaning against the door frame watching her daughter. ‘Did you stay the night?’

‘You tell me,’ Was Charlie’s answer. There was a moment of silence. ‘She just keeps getting more beautiful every day.’

‘Yeah, just like her mum,’ Brax whispered. This was how it was supposed to be. Like a family. Now he just needed Ruby there and it would be perfect. Almost.

Four year old Jade Buckton stirred in her sheets and opened her eyes. She waved. It seemed a lifetime since she first came into the world. That first piercing cry had been the most beautiful noise in the world. And they’d brought her to Brax all washed and wrapped; her green eyes open wide and soft chocolate hair sitting up slightly. He’d been the first one to hold her, Charlie had refused. And he’d fallen in love instantly.

‘Morning, what would you like for breakfast?’ Brax smiled at her from the doorway. Charlie waved back.

‘Pancakes please dad,’ Jade yawned. Chocolate chip no doubt. The girl’s door shut half way as Brax headed to the kitchen.

‘I’m not supposed to be here,’

Denial ensured. ‘No, you don’t belong anywhere else.’ Brax reached down and took Charlie’s hands in his. His voice was soft and desperate. ‘Please, I need you,’

‘Brax…’ Charlie couldn’t look at his eyes.

‘No. You have to stay with me. We can be a family again.’ The suggestion was put out there but he already knew she would keep protesting.

The sunrise brought back images into her mind of the sun shining through the window. It had been be the first thing Bianca noticed when she had entered that hospital room five years ago; the rays of light emanating from that window. The second was Charlie. She’d been in hospital quite a lot during those years but that particular time she was recovering from her ordeal with Jake.

‘Hi. Do I know you? Are you a friend or something?’ Charlie had asked innocently, her memory still affected by the concussion. A large bandage took place over her left forehead almost at the temple.

Bianca stood there just watching her old friend. They had been fighting, sure, to the extent that Charlie had been about to leave the Bay with Brax without any sign of reconciliation, but she would never wish this on anyone. Seeing her like that had been heart breaking.

‘No,’ the word came out of the young woman’s lips before she realized. Bianca had a terrible feeling as she watched her former friend in the hospital bed. Quickly, she recollected herself. ‘I’m in the wrong room.’ And with that lie, she’d left with a gulp, wondering why on earth she’d gone in the first place.

Now, as Bianca sat on the beach watching the sunrise the morning after yet another failed test, she wondered what had possessed her to lie to Charlie that day. It would have been so easy to forgive her for the switch at the bike accident and start over as friends again. Instead she’d lied. It was because Bianca knew that their rift was causing her pain. She’d wanted to spare Charlie the pain of remembering it. At least that would be the noble thing. Bianca just felt like she’d run away and abandoned her; took the easy way out of a friendship.

And maybe there was a little stubbornness involved. And this was how she would pay for it. Five years ago, Bianca had abandoned one of the most lasting relationships in her life. Now, sitting on the sand with tears in her eyes, karma had come back to her, in the form of a barren womb.

Three years, she’d tried and three years, she’d failed. For a school teacher, for a once studious student who’d never failed a test, all those failed pregnancy tests clogging up her bin tortured her.

‘Oh my god it’s Bianca!’ The sudden voice forced her to wipe her tears and look up. Ruby in a long sleeved black club dress, carrying her heels and stumbling straight towards her. Had she been out all night?

‘Ruby, I didn’t know you were back,’ Bianca smiled as Ruby bent and flung her arms drunkenly and happily around the neck of the seated woman.

‘I missed you so much,’ Ruby drawled lazily and noticed the dried up tears. ‘Oh no, you’ve been crying! That’s so sad!’

‘Rubes, I think you might have had a little too much last night,’ Bianca laughed. The vodka on the girl’s breath still lingered a little.

‘Yeah, I…I was just going to go and get myself a coffee,’ Ruby stood up and enunciated each word slowly. ‘Yeah, and at the diner because the diner sells coffee,’

‘Excuse me, my teddy fell under your chair,’ Ruby opened her eyes at the sound. She was in the diner, a strong espresso in front of her, the strongest Leah could make.

‘Yeah sure,’ picking up the teddy, she instantly woke up. The toy looked familiar. She looked up at the little girl in front of her; the four year old with the enchanting green eyes and the long straight dark chocolate hair. She’d recognize that girl anywhere. And the teddy bear in her hand, a first birthday present from Ruby herself.

Jade took the teddy back. ‘Thank you,’ the strange woman with the bloodshot baggy eyes was still staring. This made Jade nervous. She waved. ‘You look familiar.’

‘You don’t know who I am, do you?’ There was disappointment on Ruby’s face. It was her fault. She hadn’t been around enough. It was her fault for not liking Summer Bay enough to return more often. Then maybe her own sister would remember her.

Jade shook her head shyly. Of course, she had no reason to remember. Ruby Buckton was a person she saw maybe once a year. The little girl had been her only motivation for returning to the godforsaken town and Ruby knew she’d have to try.

‘I’m…I’m Ruby,’

‘Jade, come on let’s…’ Brax halted when she saw her. What a morning, first Charlie, now Ruby.

‘Brax,’ Ruby’s demeanour instantly changed from that of the soft caring sister to the cold dislike of an angry woman. Of course he’d be here. Where ever Jade is, Brax would never be far behind. So here was the reason she hardly visited looking at her like a deer caught in the headlights, a hand on her sister’s shoulder.

‘Ruby, I didn’t know you were back in town,’ Brax spoke softly. Jade looked between the two, observing everything. ‘How are you?’

So he was going to try civility too. What was it with these Braxtons? ‘I’m fine, thank you.’ Ruby stood up coldly, still in last night’s clothes. ‘If you’ll excuse me,’

Brax stepped to the side. Jade waved again. ‘Bye Ruby.’

‘Bye, see you later,’ Again, Ruby’s voice softened. Again, she forced a smile. And for what it seemed like the millionth time, Brax watched Ruby Buckton walk out on him, without a single look back.

AWESOME 1st 3 chapters !!!!!!! This is MERSMERSING !!! There’s NO other word to describe it!!!! MUCHLY looking fwd to see what happens next!!!!

LOOOOOOOOOOVE this, especially ......

 ‘I know I’m sorry. What can I say? I’m a night person. You think your mum would mind if I stayed here? It’s late and the caravan park’s closed and…’

 ‘How is she?’ The voice sounded considerably softer and mellow than the fun vivacious girl who’d banged mercilessly on the door at two in the morning. ‘I mean, she’s alright? I haven’t seen her in forever.’

‘She’s doing fine, at least to the best of my knowledge. I know she’s my neighbour and everything but it’s not like we spend hours chatting away, is it?

‘She’s fine? That’s good.’ A little waver in the voice was quickly recovered with a forced smile and a chirp. ‘Well, I’m going to hit the sack then. We’ll catch up in the morning. Good night Xav. thanks for this.’

‘Anything for an old friend,’ another smile but his was filled with genuine happiness. ‘It’s good to have you back.’

‘Only for a little while,’ the voice grew fainter with each step away from the living area. ‘Only for a little while and only to see her,’

‘Only for a little while,’ she repeated again under her breath when she reached her room and leaned against the inside of the closed door. The minute she’d entered the privacy of the bedroom, it was like her mask had been pulled off. The smile instantly faded and revealed the nervous unsure girl behind it. Summer Bay unnerved her. It had never been the same since. ‘Only for a little while and then I’m gone,’

 A juke box sat against the far wall softly playing Linkin Park’s ‘Shadow of the day.’ Currently, Darryl Braxton was owner Bree Ridgley’s only customer.

 Bree waited patiently. It was part of her job description to listen. The broken man finally continued. ‘Until she left me. Just like that. Not even a goodbye.’

 Renewing their acquaintance over coffee had given her a glimpse of what to expect. Ruby, so good to see you. How are you doing? Lousy. What brings you back to town? I wish I knew. And her personal favourite; what have you been up to these last three years? Absolutely nothing.

And worst of all, she’d know that deep in their minds they were all wondering one thing. And not one person would ever dare mention it aloud. Charlie.

 ‘You live here?’ This surprised her. So Casey was Xavier’s roommate. Funny that, a Braxton living with a cop.

 ‘Like you care.’ So he was going for civility. Ruby downed the rest of her coffee as she turned towards the sink.

 ‘Ruby, you’re back,’ Ruby sighed as she received the fifth hug of the morning. She’d only been out for an hour and already people were reaching forward with niceties and sickening affection. Why had she ever left the city? That was right; she had nowhere else to go.

‘Leah, it’s so good to see you,’ Ruby put on a smile and hugged her back. Really, it wasn’t that hard to be happy to see her; she was one of the few people she’d actually missed. So of course, she’d make the house call.

‘I can’t believe you’re really here,’ Leah leaned back to look at the young woman before her. ‘You’re all grown up. Gosh, you must be what, twenty three now?’

‘Yeah, twenty three,’ Ruby found that statement hard to believe. In her mind, she hadn’t grown up at all. It felt like she was in limbo.

 ‘I went to see mum this morning,’ with her arms crossed against the non-existent chill, Ruby whispered the words aloud to no one in particular. It was that time of year again. Time to visit one’s mother.

 Ruby walked into the familiar hallway. The house hasn’t changed. Nothing’s changed yet everything’s so very different. How can life be so contradicting? She opened her old bedroom door and opened it curiously. Full of boxes. And then Charlie’s door next to it. It took a second to gain the courage to touch that handle and turn it.

Not a budge. Locked. Ruby sighed with relief and continued on her way.

 ‘You look like you could use a drink,’ Brax nearly had a heart attack when he heard the voice. He hadn’t even heard the front door opening. Turning his head, he thought he was staring at the face of an angel.

‘Charlie?’ The name barely croaked out of his throat, which was drier than ever before.

It’s been a while.’ Charlie looked at him with a smile.

There was a glisten in her eyes, Brax noticed. Immediately, it catapulted him to those days a while after Jake had hurt her. Charlie would have the same glisten in her eyes, the same shine to her like she was glowing. She’d smile proudly and look at him with those doe eyes, giggle without a care in the world and say, ‘I remember,’ and then she’d bite her lip. So innocent and pure,

 ‘Are you really here?’

‘Hush,’ Charlie placed a finger on his lips to stop the incoherent words. ‘You decide.’

Brax gulped as Charlie brushed her finger down his chin and onto the out of his forearm. When she removed her hand, Brax could feel the burning warmth she had left replaced by the cold air conditioned air inside the pub and he whispered. ‘Will you come home with me?’

Charlie sighed and brushed her hand over his cheek. She shook her head sympathetically.

 Xavier stood with his police uniform untucked after a long day at work checking the mail on the table. ‘Hey Rubes,’

‘Well?’ Ruby jumped onto the sofa and curled her legs under her leaning back to look at him.

‘Well, Angelo’s is really the only…’

‘No thanks.’ The answer was immediate. Not Angelo’s, never again. Ruby changed her tone of voice back to its original chirp. ‘Doesn’t matter, I’ll find something to keep me occupied tonight. I always do.’

 ‘Rubes, I hope you missed the diner food. Cause I brought plenty. I’m going to take a shower.’

‘I did, you have no idea,’ Ruby eyed the spread eagerly as she bounced up from the couch. A few minutes later, the sound of the shower turning on could be heard while Ruby and Xav sat unpacking the food. ‘You forgot to mention your roommates this morning before you left.’

‘Yeah, sorry about that,’ Xav glanced at her sheepishly. ‘That must’ve been a little awkward, huh?’

‘A little,’ they were referring to Casey’s presence. ‘Not exactly the best view first thing in the morning.’

 Brax woke up groggily and reluctantly stepped out of bed. Walking out of his room, he noticed a petite figure swamped in his blue checked shirt which reached halfway down her thigh. It had been a while since he’d seen Charlie watching her through the door in the mornings. There was a pang in his heart when he realized how much he missed it.

Walking slowly up to her from behind, he placed a kiss on the back of her hair as she stood leaning against the door frame watching her daughter. ‘Did you stay the night?’

‘You tell me,’ Was Charlie’s answer. There was a moment of silence. ‘She just keeps getting more beautiful every day.’

‘Yeah, just like her mum,’ Brax whispered. This was how it was supposed to be. Like a family. Now he just needed Ruby there and it would be perfect. Almost.

Four year old Jade Buckton stirred in her sheets and opened her eyes. She waved. It seemed a lifetime since she first came into the world. That first piercing cry had been the most beautiful noise in the world. And they’d brought her to Brax all washed and wrapped; her green eyes open wide and soft chocolate hair sitting up slightly. He’d been the first one to hold her, Charlie had refused. And he’d fallen in love instantly.

 ‘I’m not supposed to be here,’

Denial ensured. ‘No, you don’t belong anywhere else.’ Brax reached down and took Charlie’s hands in his. His voice was soft and desperate. ‘Please, I need you,’

‘Brax…’ Charlie couldn’t look at his eyes.

‘No. You have to stay with me. We can be a family again.’ The suggestion was put out there but he already knew she would keep protesting.

 the rays of light emanating from that window. The second was Charlie. She’d been in hospital quite a lot during those years but that particular time she was recovering from her ordeal with Jake.

‘Hi. Do I know you? Are you a friend or something?’ Charlie had asked innocently, her memory still affected by the concussion. A large bandage took place over her left forehead almost at the temple.

Bianca stood there just watching her old friend. They had been fighting, sure, to the extent that Charlie had been about to leave the Bay with Brax without any sign of reconciliation, but she would never wish this on anyone. Seeing her like that had been heart breaking.

 Now, as Bianca sat on the beach watching the sunrise the morning after yet another failed test, she wondered what had possessed her to lie to Charlie that day. It would have been so easy to forgive her for the switch at the bike accident and start over as friends again. Instead she’d lied. It was because Bianca knew that their rift was causing her pain. She’d wanted to spare Charlie the pain of remembering it. At least that would be the noble thing. Bianca just felt like she’d run away and abandoned her; took the easy way out of a friendship.

And maybe there was a little stubbornness involved. And this was how she would pay for it. Five years ago, Bianca had abandoned one of the most lasting relationships in her life. Now, sitting on the sand with tears in her eyes, karma had come back to her, in the form of a barren womb.

Three years, she’d tried and three years, she’d failed. For a school teacher, for a once studious student who’d never failed a test, all those failed pregnancy tests clogging up her bin tortured her.

 ‘Rubes, I think you might have had a little too much last night,’ Bianca laughed. The vodka on the girl’s breath still lingered a little.

‘Yeah, I…I was just going to go and get myself a coffee,’ Ruby stood up and enunciated each word slowly. ‘Yeah, and at the diner because the diner sells coffee,’

 The WHOLE Jade, Ruby, Brax scene, in particular …… Again, she forced a smile. And for what it seemed like the millionth time, Brax watched Ruby Buckton walk out on him, without a single look back.

Really interesting start.

Im so confused though.... At the start i thought Charlie was dead but she's not? And Chax have a baby with the last name Buckton? And Ruby left the bay and hates the Braxtons?

Looking forward to the next couple of chapters so i can't figure out whats going on. Haha, more soon please :)

Really interesting so this is what I thinks going on Charlie's dead Brax imagies he can still see her as he can't let her go. Or am I going silghly bonkers here? :lol: Their scenes always have a haunting kind of feel for me.

The part with Bianca threw me abit through because it said Bianca noticed when she had entered that hospital room five years ago; the rays of light emanating from that window. The second was Charlie. She’d been in hospital quite a lot during those years but that particular time she was recovering from her ordeal with Jake.

So maybe she is alive. :unsure:

Your a great writer. :rolleyes:

Archived