Two Wrongs Don't Make It Right

Guest LaylaK

• Replies 109
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Chapter 9

Ruby and Casey were making out on the lounge when they heard a knock at the door "Who could that be?" Casey asked disappointed by the interruption.

"I don't know" Ruby replied trying to think.

They heard the knock again "Casey i know your in their" they both looked at each other rolling their eyes

"Heath" they said simultaneously. "Come in" Casey yelled sitting up from the lounge as Ruby straightened up her dress and placed her mess of a hair in a pony tail.

"Sorry to interrupt but did you know our brother and your mum are sleeping together? I mean can you believe him sleeping with a cop and surely your disappointed in your mothers choice of men" Heath stopped his ranting and looked at both of their faces. "You's already knew didn't you?" He asked as both Ruby and Casey looked at each other then looked back at him undecided at whether to admit the truth. Ruby finally spoke "Well technically we didn't know but did have an idea, i mean they weren't the best at hiding it were they Case?" She pushed for Casey to take over noticing Heaths anger.

"Yeh it was funny but listening to their lies and stories they really sucked, whats wrong with them seeing each other? Brax is finally happy all the time instead mopey and pissed off i am enjoying it" Casey explained.

"He has been more generous with his money i guess" Heath argued with himself "But do you understand how much this puts us boys and your mum at risk?" He faced Ruby " If Jakes gang find out."

Casey cut in "Brax has done everything for the boys his whole life, let him do something for himself for once Heath" Heath could see that they really didn't understand the consequences of Braxs actions "Yeh k whatever, Cya" He left wondering if he was the only responsible one

After Brax had left for work Charlie showered then decided she needed a coffee, feeling the consequences of last night she walked to the diner. "You know serg i would have never guess there was a body like that hiding under your uniform" She turned to find Hammer Pirovic sitting on the bonnet of his car she continued to walk "It should be illegal to keep something like that a secret, but then again you like secrets don't you serg. No wonder he can't stay away, woulnd't mind some of you to myself" She paused taking in what he had just said she continued walking her pace increasing until she arrived to the safety of the diner. "Thought i'd be seeing you this morning, how are you feeling?" Charlie heard Leah say

"Im alright a bit of a headache" She replied quickly she needed to get to Brax and warn him of her discovery her heart was racing and could feel anxiety overcomer her

"Are you sure? You look flushed" Leah studied her friends unusual behaviour

"Im fine really" Charlie tried to be reassuring as she turned and rushed to Braxtons. She raced up the stairs and walked over to Brax trying to remain calm "I need to speak to you privately" Noticing the urgency in her voice he led her to the storeroom locking the door behind him.

"To what do i owe this suprise visit" He kissed her pulling her closer Charlie almost loosing her train of thought as he did so, pulled back "Whats wrong eh?" he place his hands around her waist. "Brax the Pirovics know about us" She watched the expression on his face it wasn't suprised realising this she spoke "But you already knew that didn't you?" She stepped back "Charlie i got a phone call last night from them they heard Heath talking to me about us but its nothing i can't handle" He replied trying to grab her hand

"Well im glad your all looked after, did you think to tell me that Heath also knows? I have my job to think about you know, they could just walk in there and let my boss know about us and then i could lose my job, i also have my daughter to worry about. I've got to go tell them right now" She went to leave, she felt him grab her hand

"Charlie im sorry, It was your birthday i didn't want you stressing out, i really thought i could handle it" She looked him in eye she wanted so much to give in to this man but instead the stubborness she was known for over came her

"Don't you see, thats the thing Brax, you don't think" She left fighting every urge to turn back

He stood there shocked at what had just taken place angry and upset he went to go after her then remembered what it would look like infront of everyone feeling useless he returned the kitchen. He was unable to concentrate for most of the day he continued to look at his phone hoping she would have contacted him, he was trying his best not to call her so that she could have some time to cool down. However he was distracted as he watched Jake and Hammer enter his restaurant "What do you think your doing her?" Brax asked gritting his teeth. "That no way to treat your customers mate" Hammer replied "Just thought we'd pop in and see how you were, your girlfriend doesnt happen to be around? I always enjoyed a good view" Brax clenched his fists then remebered his surroundings before replying "Dont you go anywhere near Charlie"

"We do what we want, by the way her daughter is also easy on the eye, would hurt your brother to lose his little friend now wouldn't it, just like it would to lose yours. We 're gunna get you where it hurts Brax" Jake said before he turned to leave. Brax was speechless they had just the threatened the life of most important thing to him. He grabbed his phone messaged both Heath and Casey telling them to be at the house at 6. As he placed his phone down and walked to the kitchen he heard it ring thought about leaving it but decided to answer it, he picked it up happy to see the name flashing across the screen.

"Charlie, look im sorry i should have told you" She heard Brax answer the phone

"Its okay" She cut in "Im sorry for this afternoon im not used to all of this Brax, not being in control and lying" It was true she hated the mess her life had become he interrupted her thoughts "How did go eh?" It had gone better then she had expected Inspector Joyce had made clear his disappointment in her thoough she knew that was coming, he insisted she be dismissed from the case she also knew that was coming "Well im not trying to put you behind bars anymore if thats what you mean" She joked.

"Can you come over to my house later? I'm doing something with my brothers at 6 but ill leave work early"

"Yeh i can do that ill see you soon" She replied excited to see him

"Oh and Charlie, be careful please" She knew exactly what he was talking about.

By the time she got to Braxs she was feeling better she hadn't lost her job and she could continue to see Brax. "Hey you" She heard him say as she walked through the door she took of her jacket placing on the back of the lounge then leant down and gave Brax a kiss "Hey" She said sitting on the lounge and placing herself in his arms Charlie just lay there with him happy and content she wanted to be around this man everyday. Looking up at him she found him staring at her "I love you" He said, and she knew that even with everything happening that he meant it "I love you too" She hugged him closer and drifted to sleep.

"Great so the cops gunna be coming here now" She woke to Heaths comment looking around she saw Brax and Heath standing behind the lounge, noticing her movement they both looked at her "Sorry i didn't realise how tired i was" Charlie felt a little embarassed

"Its okay Charlie you have every right to be here" He turned back to Heath then to make things better Casey walked through the door

"Yous two finally coming out of the closet eh?" He smiled at Charlie as he walked past. Charlie look at Brax in shock Casey noticing their faces continued "What you really think me and Ruby didn't know about yous? Seriously" Charlie couldn't help but smile she knew her daughter was too smart the poor excuses she had been making about her absences

"Alright well i'll leave you guys to it" She got up ready to leave Brax following her to the door pulling her and close and kissing her passionately

"Eww get a room" She heard Casey say as she turned and walked away.

She had parked her car around the corner from the boys house so no one would be suspicious, half way there she realised the goose bumps on her arm then remebered she had left her jacket behind she turned back towards the direction of the house unaware she was being watched. When she approached the house she could hear the boys arguing Charlie went to knock but stopped not wanting to interrupt. Charlie found herself listening "Brax use your head, what happens if one of the boys drops in and sees her here?" Heath wasn't happy "We will say she wanted to talk to Casey about Ruby you know" Brax thought trying to find a solution to all Heaths questions. Charlie hated that she was causing all this trouble between the brothers but they both knew it would be like this. "Does she know Brax?" Heath lowered his voice, Charlie found herself leaning closer to the door.

"Know about what?" He sound confused.

"Does she know about what we did to Pirovics place, his crop?"

"No she doesn't and she won't" Charlies legs went weak, her stomach dropped and she began to tremble upset at what she had just heard. Fighting back a tear she knocked at the door "What!?" Heath swung the door open

"I er forgot my jacket" She walked in grabbing her jacket avoiding any eye contact with Brax before rushing out. Hearing her name called she hid around the side of house listening to his footsteps scan the front yard. Charlie waited until she heard the front door shut before making her way down the driveway and down the street. She could hear a noise behind her stopping and turning she found nothing paranoid she walked quicker towards her car.

Chapter 10

As the crisp air of the night sent shivers across her body she slowered her pace convincing herself that she was just being paranoid allowing herself into deep thought about her life and how its stability had crumbled in a downward spiral since this man came into it. The rush of emotions she felt when she pictured him limited her awareness of her surroundings the headlights slowly approaching from behind and the shadow lurking in the bushes following her.

"So stupid" She gritted her teeth as she approached her car, as she grabbed her keys from her pocket she heard a bang and as a heavy object landed on her as she fell to the ground. She could scarcely see blood as her eyes struggled to stay awake.

Brax was furious with himself how could he be so stupid, he walked back inside the house where Casey and Heath both stood with curious looks upon their faces, he just looked at Heath "What?" Brax couldn't understand, how could Heath not know that he had just lost the most important thing to him because his stupid little brother couldn't keep his mouth shut. Fustrated he slammed his fist into the wall a few times until his knuckles were raw.

"What was that?" Casey heard a loud noise

"Probably half the house falling down. You feel better now?" Heath asked with a smile on his face Brax just shook his head at his brother before walking into his room and slamming the door

She woke up in a world of pain her left arm heavy and aching, she looked around the unfamilar room and tried to sit up, her body too weak collapsed underneath her. She felt groggy "Charlie dont move okay the ambulance is coming" The voice comforted her though confused her aswell.

"Am i dreaming?" She asked the man infront of her

"Glad to know you dream about me but C you ain't dreaming and before you freak you were shot, i've stopped most of the bleeding so you should be okay just stay awake for me please" He sat next to her

"But but your dead, Jack your dead" She studied the unrecognizable man infront of her, his hair was long, face unshaven, tattoos all along his arms but those eyes, those deep blue eyes she would know them anywhere.

"Im really sorry C, i wanted to tell you but they insisted i don't. I've gone undercover in the Pirovics gang, its the only way we're gunna bring them down. Faking my own death made it easier for me and others to forget me. This is my safe house i knew they were planning on hurting you so i've been following you for the past few days" He explained

She listened as Jack, her bestfriend since she was a little girl, her old partner explained the past few months of his new life. Jack had always been there for her and when he died she thought her world had ended but now here he we was alive and here he was saving her again. Charlie had always loved Jack they had looked after each other their entire lives, from sneaking in each others rooms every night to him not leaving Charlies side through her whole entire pregancy with Ruby. He was safe and trustworthy she loved him dearly but she was not in love with him and once he realised this Jack had left town at the age of 21 and Charlie hadn't heard from him until she was transferred to summer bay for work. It had been awkward at first but then they had rekindled there friendship and became the best of friends. She continued trying to listen to his story but she was becoming faint again and the pain in her arm became excruiciating. "The ambulance is here" He picked her up and carried her to the door

"I don't want to leave you" She whimpered

"Im getting out soon they have enough to get this group especially after they just tried to kill a cop" He spoke

"They did this to me" She looked up at him

"Only you would fall in love with a gang leader and have his rival gang try to kill you C, i leave you for a couple months and look what happens" He laughed and shook his head. She laughed a little too before he handed her to the paramedics she watched him as they carried her away

"Be safe" she said to him

"Your the one with a bullet in your arm and your telling me to be safe" Her body again gave in as she blacked out

Brax groaned as he heard the banging on his bedroom door "Go away Casey" He mumbled his head face down in the pillow

"Brax its Charlie, she's been shot" His head shot up

"What do you mean?" He asked opening the door to his younger brother

"They shot her Brax, just around the corner, Rubys with her at the hospital now" Brax could see the anger in Caseys voice and it soon became his own.

With out saying another word he grabbed his keys and headed straight for the hospital leaving his younger brother alone at the house. He rushed into the hospital and after many wrong directions from nurses found her room. Brax slowly approached the door he noticed Ruby look at him as she came into view, there was Charlie on the bed her eyes closed, very pale but looked peaceful. Though he hated the tubes coming from her body she was alive and he was grateful.

"She's gunna be okay Brax, the bullet hit her in the arm they were able to get it out before it got infected. Im hungry do you mind sitting with her for a bit i don't want her to be alone" Ruby stood up sliding the chair towards him before he could answer.

He sat and watched her, he was furious at what they had done to her he wanted to kill every single one of them but he couldn't, everytime he tried to think in his mind of how to get them Charlie would appear he knew that if he kept pushing her away she woulnd't come back and that shattered him. Brax knew that the only way to keep Charlie in his life was stay away from trouble, she had almost died because of him and his status, he never wanted her anywhere near danger again. He was deep in thought when he heard Charlie stir in her sleep he grabbed her hand

"Just go away Brax i don't want you here" He was suprised when she spoke, pulling her hand away she rolled over and faced ther opposite side of the room.

He scratched his head "Charlie cmon i love ya and im here for ya. Just give me a chance to explain" He begged last nights events playing in his mind

"I mean it Brax just go away and get out of my life. I hate you" He stood up he could hear the sadness in her voice as a lump formed in his own throat

"Charlie why?" His voice breaking

"You lied to me again and again you got me shot do you really need me to go on? We are over, i never want to see you again" She turned to look at him he could see the tears sliding down her cheeks.

His anger took over " What the hell do you want from me Charlie? When you found out who i was you still stayed so it as much your fault as mine, and yeh i lied to you but would you have stuck around if i told you the truth? I only did it because Heath stuffed up and he is my family. All you have done is judge me from day one, im not perfect i ain't afraid to admit it . You don't see me judging you about your life"

She interrupted him "And what is that supposed to mean?" She asked

"Oh cmon Charlie your what 30-31 and Rubys 17. What were you an early starter or something" He was annoyed at himself as soon as it came out, he had practically called the love of his life a s**t. He watched as she looked at him disgusted wacthing her shake her and look away

"Just get out of here Brax, you don't have a clue" He took a deep breathe fighting back tears in his eyes he went to speak but nothing came out so he left.

He got home to find Casey pacing the loungeroom, "Case whats up?" He asked worried

"Brax im so sorry, i didnt know what i was thinking i just had to get them back" Casey was almost in tears

"What are you talking about?" Brax didn't really want to here what his brother had done

"I burnt their house" He struggled to get out. Brax lunged at him forcing Casey body up against the wall " Im Sorry, i got rid of everything, i coverd my tracks know one will"

He couldn't believe his brothers stupidity he looked him in the eye before releasing his grip and walking away "Im going to bed" He said while picking up a bottle bourban on the way

Charlie sat there looking at her beautiful daughter even after everything that had happened to her she was so proud to call Ruby her own. "Mum you know he loves you" She heard Ruby say "The boys say it all the time they've never seen him like this with a woman" her daughter continued.

She knew he loved her, but it wasn't enough the lies and betrayal had damaged Charlies faith in him, she loved him too she wanted him here with her right now but Charlie was to stubborn and to independant for her own good. It had been two days since the shooting and she was ready to go home and return to her normal life, Charlie couldn't help but wonder when she would see Jack again he would know exactly what to say to her stop being a b**ch and give the god damn man a break she laughed catching Rubys attention

"What?" Ruby looked confused.

"Nothing Rubes" She replied

"This hospital is driving you crazy lets get you home" Ruby picked up her bags and Charlie followed wondering who was really the adult in the family

"Charlie your like a magnet for trouble lately" Leah spoke as the girls arrived in the kitchen

"I know i've missed so much work i'll be lucky to have a job" She was looking forward to going back to work as soon as they cleared her fit to

"Speaking of work" Leah nodded towards the door behind Charlie, Charlie turned to see Watson standing there

"Your like a cat with nine lives Charlie" Watson smiled and entered the room. Charlie was a little worried she hadn't seen Watson since she informed Inspector Joyce about her relationship

"Its okay, im actually a little jealous he's hot, even you can't help who you love Charlie" Her words relieved her doubts

"Wine anyone?" Charlie smiled pulling a bottle out of the fridge

"Oh yes me please" Bianca suprising the girls poked her through the window. They moved into the lounge room Charlie where sat back looking at her friends and the support surrounding her she could it, she could move on from Darryl Braxton.

Archived