1990 Episode Discussion

Guest Ryan

I'm not sure about the Martin/Greta storyline. I'm sure there was supposed to be some heartwarming stuff in there along with comedy, but it also felt that they were trying to too strongly push that what's inside is more important than what's outside and it kind of all felt slightly forced to me.

• Replies 1.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

The Greta being 'fat' thing would be typical for a guy like Martin to say though, anyone who isn't stick thin would be called fat by those type of guys, whether they really think it or not I'd imagine. She wasn't fat, maybe a bit overweight but she looked like the weight Dr. Rachel was most of the time, to me.

I think the Greta storyline has been by far the least interesting involving Lance/Martin and Co.

The whole thing did seem a bit confused.Whilst the issue did seem to be more Martin being chauvinistic and finding it embarrassing hanging around a woman he didn't consider attractive, his turnaround from liking her as a friend to suddenly being in love with her was a bit abrupt.It would have been okay if she'd been sticking around but as she left in the next episode it felt a bit pointless. Maybe if it resulted in a maturation of Martin's character but he'll probably forget about her as quickly as he forgot about Leanne and it just feels like they needed something to keep Martin and Marilyn occupied while Lance was away.Greta's turnaround is believable, I think:It does feel, in retrospect, like she was more in love with the idea of being in love, or the idea of someone being in love with her, than with Martin.Given that Martin and Marilyn's belief that she was going to move in with them, marry Martin and have babies after a couple of kisses was a touch psychotic, it's no wonder she got scared off.

By the way, with Pippa and Lance disappearing for lengthy periods and the show having made its UK debut a year earlier, I can't help wondering if this is the first example of panto leave.Or didn't that catch on until later?

Archived