The Character/Actor age thing

Guest maciam

Most of the time, the older girls can pass for younger; less make-up, younger hair styles etc, but when the blokes are all muscly, it looks stupid. They could get actors that look a little younger than their age, Jason Smith was 3 years older than Robbie, but he passed, whereas Chris Hemsworth and Luke Mitchell never looked like teenagers. (Well, some girls never passed for teenagers, Gypsy for one.)

I would assume the problem would be that kids at certain ages can legally only work a certain number of hours. Probably under 13 can only do so many, 13-16 can do a few more, 16-18 a few more again, and then over 18 can do pretty much as many as is possible. I would guess that's the law in Australia anyway, it's something like that in Ireland.

As most of the stories in H&A are about the teenagers, they'd need them to be able to work a lot of hours, and therefore need older actors.

• 2 weeks later...
  • Replies 66
  • Created
  • Last Reply

was reading this with interest, and suddenly realised something

firstly - they do this in most films, tv shows and soaps and older actor/actress plays younger and all fit for a reason

--- The programe/film/episode may take months to film so it helps with changing (growing), ie one episode is filmed over a weel and some scenes filmend in April may not appear till july, with some appearing in May

Secondly - the show skips days and sometimes weeks, so in one week for us the timeline in the show maybe 2 moths, a year maybe 1yr and half, so there character may age faster than the actor, so it stops actor playing older person - Remember Alfs son, He grew and aged alot over a 1 month on not is show, which was 6 months

Im sure I remember seeing 2 christmass in the show during a year.

You're right there..

But sometimes the actors are about 10 years older than their characters no matter how the episodes are beeing recorded..

Like Luke Mitchell.. He's 26, still playing a teenager.

And sometimes the go the other way too..

Like VJ, who is 10 ( he was born in 2001) and now is in High school..??

It might apply to movies, which take months if not years to film and are recorded out of sequence, but it's hardly applicable to Home and Away, where the episodes for each week are recorded together and time generally passes for the characters at the same rate as it does for the audience.

was reading this with interest, and suddenly realised something

firstly - they do this in most films, tv shows and soaps and older actor/actress plays younger and all fit for a reason

--- The programe/film/episode may take months to film so it helps with changing (growing), ie one episode is filmed over a weel and some scenes filmend in April may not appear till july, with some appearing in May

Secondly - the show skips days and sometimes weeks, so in one week for us the timeline in the show maybe 2 moths, a year maybe 1yr and half, so there character may age faster than the actor, so it stops actor playing older person - Remember Alfs son, He grew and aged alot over a 1 month on not is show, which was 6 months

Im sure I remember seeing 2 christmass in the show during a year.

I think you've misunderstood the plots along the way. Duncan didn't age within the space of a month, he went away for a few months and came back played by an older actor and they did age him up, but not within the context of the show. It could be confusing if you took it so literally as you seemed too. Basically you weren't supposed to notice.

H&A have never ever skipped a year or year and half within the space of a week. The only time it would appear in the UK that they have skipped a couple of months within a week is when the show takes a 2 months break at the end of every year (in Australia) and may come back saying '2 months later', which has only happened a handful of times.

The show has never had two Christmas' in the space of one year.

I always think of some of the characters in the original 90210 a couple of the actors playing teenagers were in their late 20's and in fact one of them was in his 30's playing a 17/18 year old.

And sometimes the go the other way too..

Like VJ, who is 10 ( he was born in 2001) and now is in High school..??

They've SORASed VJ because VJ is now 12. Miles mentioned it recently (last week I think).

I always think of some of the characters in the original 90210 a couple of the actors playing teenagers were in their late 20's and in fact one of them was in his 30's playing a 17/18 year old.

Yes, I was surprised when I found out their real age. Apparently, the actor who plays Hannah Montana's brother is in his early 30s while his character is supposed to be a teenager. The actor isn't very tall so that's probably why it doesn't shock that much.

The guy who plays Xavier is a good example. He's much closer to the age of the character he portrays, but when he first arrived he was very inexperienced. It was only in 2010 that the actor became more relaxed and confident, and his acting improved immensely.

Are we that far behind in Ireland because I haven't seen the episodes where his acting has improved yet???

What does SORAsed mean? Can't find it on Google translate..

I do know what you mean about 90210, as I used to watch the show in the 90's..

I cant remember what it stands for but basically it's referring to when a character is 'aged', usually for storyline reasons, in VJ's case because they wanted him to be in High school NOW rather than in 2 years time, so that instead of being 10 he is 12. This seems to happen quite alot in soaps, sometimes witha deliberate view in terms of the character, and the direction they want to take them requiring someone older (when they dont want to recast) and other times it seems to be rather random, like the writers have just made up the characters birthday, without actually looking it up, even when it would make little difference in storyline terms lol

Soap Opera Rapid Aging Syndrome.

The practice of rapidly aging characters dates back to the early years of television soap opera.[9] In As the World Turns, Tom Hughes was born on screen in 1961. By 1970 he had been to college and fought in the Vietnam War.[

:lol::lol:

Archived