The Character/Actor age thing

Guest maciam

• Replies 66
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I suppose this thread was always going to be split 2 ways. It's down to personal opinion as to whether or not you can suspend disbelief for the whole tenure of an overage actor's stay on the show. I'll admit that some actors help you in that more than others. But they're in the minority for me. I can't agree that Ruby is one of the ones that does. She was always 'older than her years' - mostly because of the expression in her eyes. No amount of acting can disguise that.

But there's a structural issue here as well. I mentioned the laziness of the shows wanting 'off the shelf' identikit actors to fill the roles. How do those actors get the experience by their early twenties to fill the teen roles ? If soaps are less and less willing to provide it, who will ?

I don't think excusing the shows because of employment laws washes either - Charlotte and Jordan were in 2/3 episodes a week for 2 years, which is as high a strike rate as most of the adult cast (excluding Mr. Alf.) Nor is it because of educational requirements - there are (were ?) tutors provided on set.

If a show doesn't have the 'age spread' it should, it not only loses something on screen, it also has an effect upon the writers, and the cast's, dynamic.

I think it depends on the storyline they plan for the character.

Aden - Abused by grandfather - Older actor

Kane - Raped Dani - Older Actor

Cassie - Abused - Older actor

The one actor that always was a bit ridiculous to me was Kim. He was about 3 foot taller than everyone else at school

I think it depends on the storyline they plan for the character.

Aden - Abused by grandfather - Older actor

Kane - Raped Dani - Older Actor

Cassie - Abused - Older actor

The one actor that always was a bit ridiculous to me was Kim. He was about 3 foot taller than everyone else at school

Very well put Alison C! You've hit the nail on the head, especially Kim. He was ridiculously too big to be a school boy,it looked obscene IMO.

I aslo thought Ian Meadows aka Rocco was closer to the age of the character that the real age.. think I read somewhere he's born in 1978.

How big was the age different between Bobby and Alan??

They played half sister/brother on the show in the early years.

Didn't they go to school together?

IMDb has Ian Meadows as born 1983, making him 23 when he was on the show.

Bobby and Alan were in the same year at school, Barbara was pregnant with Alan when Bobby was conceived so there would have been less than nine months between them.If you mean the actors, Nicolle Dickson was 19 but I haven't found a date of birth for Simon Kay(aka Simon Bossell).

Thanks, Will let you know if I ever find Simon's dob..

Its an interesting point to make about characters/actors ages. In cases like Romeo, as has already been stated, he is in reality WAY to old to play him, and even his storylines of late have been very much a 25 yr olds (starting a business, getting married) rather than someone of school leaving age! Sometimes it doesnt make any difference if the actor can portray the age in a sensible way, sometimes its ridiculous.

Occassionally it can work the other way round where an actor has been cast who is older than the character but it works and then is recast with an actor the right age but which then doesnt work. My best example is Declan in Neighbours - James Sorensen was 4 years older than Declan - being 21 rather than Decs 17, but I think portrayed Declan very convincingly especially given his backstory and the character having to mature the way he did.

Unforunately when Declan was recast with Erin Mullally after James quit, Erin was actually Declans age (who was by then 20 - James was 24). This showed up in his performance and turned Declan back into being a teenager (as he was when he arrived) which seriously hindered his character development with Erins poor acting and immature portrayl, making a mockery of all the storylining Declan had been through and the growing up he had done.

Has that ever happened on Home and Away? I keep thinking it did ince but cant pinpoint it lol

So having an actor the same age as the character doesnt always work, sometimes it does need a slightly more mature persoon to portay a certain character.

Whatever your opinion of the recast of Declan(and I'm one of the few people, it seems, who didn't hate Erin Mullally for committing the terrible crime of not being James Sorenson), I don't think the age of the actors had anything to do with it, I didn't even know there was a difference.(In fact, what is the difference between a 20-year-old and a 24-year-old?)Declan was never the most mature of characters anyway.In fact, I remember some people saying the key difference was the new Declan was bigger:Instead of a midget Declan going around getting aggro with people, you had a six foot plus Declan doing it.

Anyway, back to talking about HA:Whether Luke makes a convincing teenager or not, I think part of the point of Romeo's storylines is that he is too young to be getting married and starting a business and he's rather out of his depth.Let's face it, this is the sort of storyline HA often give to school leavers, right back to Bobby in 1989!

Whatever your opinion of the recast of Declan(and I'm one of the few people, it seems, who didn't hate Erin Mullally for committing the terrible crime of not being James Sorenson), I don't think the age of the actors had anything to do with it, I didn't even know there was a difference.(In fact, what is the difference between a 20-year-old and a 24-year-old?)Declan was never the most mature of characters anyway.In fact, I remember some people saying the key difference was the new Declan was bigger:Instead of a midget Declan going around getting aggro with people, you had a six foot plus Declan doing it.

Anyway, back to talking about HA:Whether Luke makes a convincing teenager or not, I think part of the point of Romeo's storylines is that he is too young to be getting married and starting a business and he's rather out of his depth.Let's face it, this is the sort of storyline HA often give to school leavers, right back to Bobby in 1989!

Lol He wasnt committing a crime being Erin Mullally, but he was hopeless in the part as written and really should never have been cast. He was universally derided from day one sadly, and its no wonder he was written out as fast as possible! Usually when a part is recast its from younger to older to accomodare 'older' storylines etc, but they did it the wrong way round. Theres a difference I think in a slightly older actor playing down slightly (convincingly) and a hopelessly young actor not being able to act.

Howver, in the case of Luke he is much to old, and the point you made about the point being Romeo is too young to be doing the things he is doing is probably true, but its not coming across that way and so highlights Lukes maturity, making him look silly in many situations (ie wearing school uniform etc). He wouldnt necessarily be out of his depth at 25 (Lukes age and appearance) but he would be at 18, Romeos age. Its not the stories, which as you say are normal H&A fare for that age group, but its unconvincing when the actor is quite obviously too old. So I think the age of actors can have an awful lot to do with it really, yoou cant just pick any actor or actress of any age to play any age.

Archived