The Character/Actor age thing

Guest maciam

It doesn't really bother me. YTou have to suspend your disbelief to watch soaps anyway or you'd be nit-picking everything!

With Romeo right now, i just find it weird that he's such good friends with Liam. Luke and Axle are similar ages, I think they work well together and have a good raport but as thair characters, Liam is(ok, was) Romeo's teacher. Now Romeo's left school though It's not an issue anymore.

I always thought Sharni looked far too old to play Cassie, but she was a good actress so I let it go. I'd rather watch someone who can do the role justice who looks too old than someone of the right age who can't act.

• Replies 66
  • Created
  • Last Reply

It doesn't really bother me. YTou have to suspend your disbelief to watch soaps anyway or you'd be nit-picking everything!

With Romeo right now, i just find it weird that he's such good friends with Liam. Luke and Axle are similar ages, I think they work well together and have a good raport but as thair characters, Liam is(ok, was) Romeo's teacher. Now Romeo's left school though It's not an issue anymore.

I always thought Sharni looked far too old to play Cassie, but she was a good actress so I let it go. I'd rather watch someone who can do the role justice who looks too old than someone of the right age who can't act.

Thats true lol. I know what you mean about Romeo and Liam, especially when Liam was teaching. Theres actually 6 years bertween Axle and Luke but they do work well together, but I think its partly becasue of Lukes real age and that hes not 18 lol. I still think he comes across as a little too old though, especially when he was still at school. You're spot on about the thing of someone older who does the role justice than someone the right age who cant act. Thats what i was saying about Declan in Neighbours, Declan no.2 was too young and inexperienced in the role IMO, even though he was Dec;s actual age rather than a few years older that the original Declan was.

Having older, allegedly experienced, TV actors take over the younger roles begs the question - where have these older actors gained their TV acting experience ?

In any case, once a ham actor, always a ham actor. They just get a bit more cured with age. This policy is limiting opportunities for talented teenage actors in TV work. The age differences, up to 7 years for someone playing a teen, have become laughable, and self perpetuating. It must be very difficult for a 15-16 year old to fit into that scenario.

I'd rather watch a 16 year old playing their age, being supported by the show - which after all is a soap and not Dostoevsky, than see a 24 year old doing it. The plots don't need older actors, it's still got a PG rating isn't it ?

Having older, allegedly experienced, TV actors take over the younger roles begs the question - where have these older actors gained their TV acting experience ?

In any case, once a ham actor, always a ham actor. They just get a bit more cured with age. This policy is limiting opportunities for talented teenage actors in TV work. The age differences, up to 7 years for someone playing a teen, have become laughable, and self perpetuating. It must be very difficult for a 15-16 year old to fit into that scenario.

I'd rather watch a 16 year old playing their age, being supported by the show - which after all is a soap and not Dostoevsky, than see a 24 year old doing it. The plots don't need older actors, it's still got a PG rating isn't it ?

You do make some good points.. I think there will be reasons why older actors are employed over younger ones, ranging from purely dramatic ones (when they feel an older actor will carry certain stories better) to issues relating to emplyment law, how long a younger actor can work, having them take time out to study etc etc etc. These things are much less of an issue with an adult actor. As someone pointed out before, you see younger characters like VJ much less than you did their earlier counterparts. This surely must have something to do with different attitudes to the employment of young actors and probably there are more restrictions now than there was in the past.

Why should H&A be treated like a training ground for inexperienced teenage actors though? The actor gets paid literally thousands per week to play a role, Imo they better be damn good at it. If a 25 year old can play a role better than a 16 year old, give it to the 25 year old - its about the quality of the show. If the 16 year old is fantastic, give it to the 16 year old. In the case of Romeo, I think Luke is rather one dimensional in his portrayal regardless of his age, wooden at times.

I'd rather watch someone who can do the role justice who looks too old than someone of the right age who can't act.

Exactly.

Why should H&A be treated like a training ground for inexperienced teenage actors though? The actor gets paid literally thousands per week to play a role, Imo they better be damn good at it. If a 25 year old can play a role better than a 16 year old, give it to the 25 year old - its about the quality of the show. If the 16 year old is fantastic, give it to the 16 year old. In the case of Romeo, I think Luke is rather one dimensional in his portrayal regardless of his age, wooden at times.

I'd rather watch someone who can do the role justice who looks too old than someone of the right age who can't act.

Exactly.

I agree about Luke, hes not the best actor in the world. Neither is Xavier unfortunately. I think the writers must be doing their best to kill Xavier off, hes had so many serious accidents this last few months Im amazed hes ailve lol

Why should H&A be treated like a training ground for inexperienced teenage actors though? The actor gets paid literally thousands per week to play a role, Imo they better be damn good at it. If a 25 year old can play a role better than a 16 year old, give it to the 25 year old - its about the quality of the show.
-Alexx.

If people are happy to see a 25 year old playing a 16 year old, with, in my view, all the unwanted nuances that they would bring to the role, then that's their choice.

As for your point about the show being used as a training ground for inexperienced teen actors, why single out teen actors ? I've seen any number of older actors in soaps for whom no amount of screen time would improve them. It's getting to the stage where these shows will just play it safe and go for older actors as a default position. Please don't confuse experience with talent.

I've probably said this before but in my opinion David Jones-Robert kind of shows both sides of the argument.When he came in he wasn't the best actor but I think he improved immensely with experience and by the start of 2010 he was outshining some of the older actors.It's a shame he still tends to get labelled a bad actor, possibly because people haven't forgotten that first year or possibly because the scripts often require him to give an all-too-accurate performance of a moody teenager...

I've probably said this before but in my opinion David Jones-Robert kind of shows both sides of the argument.When he came in he wasn't the best actor but I think he improved immensely with experience and by the start of 2010 he was outshining some of the older actors.It's a shame he still tends to get labelled a bad actor, possibly because people haven't forgotten that first year or possibly because the scripts often require him to give an all-too-accurate performance of a moody teenager...

I know what you mean, Xavier is a very moody teen. But I dont see the improvement in his acting that others have seen, he seems pretty much the same now as he was when he arrived to me, obvioulsy with different stor lines but his acting appears consistent. Xavier and Ruby bot annoy me immenesly though, the writers seem contenet in going round and round in circles recyclng the same story esp with Ruby.

Why should H&A be treated like a training ground for inexperienced teenage actors though? The actor gets paid literally thousands per week to play a role, Imo they better be damn good at it. If a 25 year old can play a role better than a 16 year old, give it to the 25 year old - its about the quality of the show.
-Alexx.

If people are happy to see a 25 year old playing a 16 year old, with, in my view, all the unwanted nuances that they would bring to the role, then that's their choice.

As for your point about the show being used as a training ground for inexperienced teen actors, why single out teen actors ? I've seen any number of older actors in soaps for whom no amount of screen time would improve them. It's getting to the stage where these shows will just play it safe and go for older actors as a default position. Please don't confuse experience with talent.

We were discussing older actors playing teens, thats why I was referring to them. I dont care how old they are, if they cant act dont cast them.

Archived