The Character/Actor age thing

Guest maciam

Why does Home and away sometimes have too old actors to plays teens?

Some of them might not even look like teenagers at all.

Like Romeo.. Luke is actually 26 now, playing 19.

Ruby on the other hand suits to play a teen, as she has the look of a teen. Rebecca is now 24.

Remeber when Rocco was on the show. He was supposed to play 17, and Ian was 25.

He looked too old.

I liked when Charlotte Best and Jordan Rodrigues arrived, the actually played teens, and still is teens.

Now VJ is in high school, and the character is playing a small kid. Felix is 13.

There are probably many more like these.. Just a few examples.. :rolleyes:

• Replies 66
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I think they get an older actor to play the character so they don't have to worry about the problems each story line has.... like, a scene leading to sex. If the actor was the same age as the character, permission and all such would be needed (I'm sure it would :unsure: )

I'd have thought if the actor was 18 minimum, it would be alright wouldn't it though? They don't have to get 25 year olds. It was the same with Kim Hyde/ Chris Hemsworth, he was far too old to play a school kid. And wasn't Noah too old as well? I've pretty much forgotten him but I have a vague memory of him looking too old (even though he was young when he joined H&A)

That was why I didn't find Annie/Romeo believable: she was about 16 and he was obviously way over the age of 16 :lol:

That was why I didn't find Annie/Romeo believable: she was about 16 and he was obviously way over the age of 16 :lol:

Exactly the same here. Also when Romeo goes into his mopey/pining over a girl sort of moods I keep wanting to scream at him to act his age as I always forget he's supposed to be a teenager.

Why does Home and away sometimes have too old actors to plays teens?

Some of them might not even look like teenagers at all.

Like Romeo.. Luke is actually 26 now, playing 19.

It was a bit ridiculous the last year or so when they put him in a school uniform, but I would much rather they cast an older actor that could cope with the role and act properly.

It's not just H&A doing this - most soaps in the U.K. do it too with laughable results - as most of the over aged actors concerned have already appeared in other soaps as older characters than the ones that they subsequently play.

I think that there is a whiff of both misplaced political correctness (most of us can testify that our teenage years involved a stronger brew than is served up on soaps - and that we were able to survive these real life events. So what's the problem with acting diluted fictional events at the same age ? ) and corporate cowardice - partly because of these P.C. pressures and partly because of operational expediency: - it's harder to nurture young actors than to pick older ones 'off the shelf'.

I don't like it either. I think a couple of years is okay but 7 years is just silly, even 5. I don't like how it sends the message to real teens that they should appear older - muscley or sexually confident or whatever. I liked the natural awkwardness of Annie and Jai.

Quote By Julez

I don't like how it sends the message to real teens that they should appear older - muscley or sexually confident or whatever.

That's a good point - and it's ironic (if you accept the argument about soaps employing over age actors to be able to show more 'adult' themes) that in trying not to attract any adverse publicity about exposing teen actors to inappropriate story-lines, they fall into the trap, of their own making, of exposing the younger audience to them. Myopic vision I'd say.

P.S. sorry about all the commas and hyphens - I'll try to go on a diet.... soon.

I disagree. Just wondering but if you didn't know the actors age via internet or media, would you really think that the actor was too old?

In the case of Romeo, yes I do think he looks like a guy in his 20's, not a teenager, likewise I always thought Martha looked more like late 20's. However, unless the older actor, actually looks too old for the part, I dont see the problem.

Most of the time I dont think it matters. I'd also prefer them to cast older actors over younger more inexperienced actors though I should imagine that if there are 16 year old actors out there who can portray a 16 year old and they suit the role, they would get cast.

I disagree. Just wondering but if you didn't know the actors age via internet or media, would you really think that the actor was too old?

In the case of Romeo, yes I do think he looks like a guy in his 20's, not a teenager, likewise I always thought Martha looked more like late 20's. However, unless the older actor, actually looks too old for the part, I dont see the problem.

Most of the time I dont think it matters. I'd also prefer them to cast older actors over younger more inexperienced actors though I should imagine that if there are 16 year old actors out there who can portray a 16 year old and they suit the role, they would get cast.

At least give most people credit for being able to spot a 25 year old masquerading as a school-boy. :rolleyes:

You may well have gotten used to actors playing 5 - 7 years younger, I haven't, and hope I never will. There's no need for it with soaps, except for the laziness of a company that wants 'experienced' actors. It produces performances that lack naturalness at least, and that often stick out like a sore thumb in scenes with actors playing their real age. Romeo and Ruby are prime examples of it in recent times.

Archived