The Beach House

Guest Perry

FIVE

IRENE & PAUL’S STORY

Irene walked into the entrance of the Western Sydney Police station, she walked up to the front desk.

“I’m Irene Roberts I got a call about my grandson...” She asked anxiously. “Paul Carter?”

“He’s in the third room.” The young female officer told her and gestured towards where she needed to go.

Irene walked into the room to find Paul slouching in a chair in the small office with a male police officer seated next to him. Paul was looking to the ground and hadn’t noticed his grandmother’s arrival.

“Hello?” Irene stepped in cautiously.

“Mrs Roberts?” The officer stood up and shook Irene’s hand. “I’m Sergeant Brian Leger.” He pulled out the chair that he was sitting on. “Please take a seat.”

Irene sat down and gave Paul a small pat on the back, Paul didn’t respond to it and just kept looking to the ground.

“What’s going on?”

“It’s been alleged that Paul has assaulted his brother and stepfather and unfortunately, Mr Carter wants to take it further.”

“What do you mean he wants to take it further?” Irene asked. “Are you going to charge him?”

Brian nodded. “It’s pretty serious they’ve both sustained some injuries to their face. Mr Carter has a broken jaw and some bruising and Mark has some bruising to his face as well.”

“I kicked Mark by accident.” Paul looked up at his Nan and pleaded. “I didn’t mean to kick him and Joe hit me first.” He gently touched his face and showed his Nan the bruise on his cheek. “He hit me first Nan, I swear.”

Irene gently held Paul’s face and could see the bruise for herself she also could see it in his eyes that he was telling her the truth.

“He’s got a bruise, he has been hit.” Irene told the officer.

Brian nodded in agreement.

“We’ve taken their statements and fortunately there were witnesses in the gym that have backed up Paul’s story about the kick being accidental.” Brian took a short gasp and by the tone in his voice it was obvious he didn’t like what he had to say. “Unfortunately Mark has backed up Joe’s story that Joe had hit him first.”

“So you’re telling me to get on the phone to a solicitor?” Irene unfortunately was too familiar with the situation. “What’s the go tonight? Does he have to stay in custody?”

Brian shook his head. “We have his statement your more then welcome to get a lawyer to look over it we’ve given a copy for Paul, unfortunately your daughter has made it crystal with us that Paul is not welcome at that house.”

“He is more then welcome to come home with me and stay as long as he needs.”

“Nan?” Paul stood up and gave his grandmother a hug. “I swear he hit me first…”

“Love I believe you.” She gave his cheek another look over. “Has that been seen by a Doctor?”

Paul shook his head. “It doesn’t hurt.”

“It doesn’t matter, we’ll get it checked out anyway.” She then looked to Brian. “What are our chances of having his stepfather charged?”

“Uhhh…” Brian shook his head. “…Unfortunately because of Mark’s statement we can’t take that matter further.”

“That would be flipping well right.”

Irene was outside the hospital on her mobile phone.

“Fin I saw the bruise with my own two eyes…” Irene was yelling at her daughter with frustration. “…He’s in getting it X-rayed as I speak.” Irene paced backwards and forwards not realising she kept opening the automatic doors every time she stepped under the sensor. “Fin this is your son we’re talking about… …Well he’s coming to live with me and I’m going to show him the love that that boy deserves.” Irene hung up and was almost close to throwing the damn phone.

She walked back inside the hospital and all of a sudden a memory flashed through her mind and played out like a movie.

“He’s beautiful isn’t he?” Finlay asked as she looked at her mother sitting up on the hospital bed holding onto her baby son, Paul.

“Alright little man…” Irene said to Paul holding back tears. “…I don’t want you to get too use to me, I’m just your Nanna.”

“A very special Nanna.” Fin added before taking baby Paul off her. “Thank you.” She looked down at Paul with a huge grin spread across her face. “I’m going to be such a good mother.”

• Replies 232
  • Created
  • Last Reply

SIX

LIAM & BIANCA’S STORY

“Liam?” Bianca yelled from Liam’s bedroom. “When are you coming to bed?”

“In a sec.” Liam answered a lot more respectful to his sleeping housemate by saying it quietly. He put his music book down and walked into the kitchen. He opened the medicine cabinet and took out a canister. He pulled a tiny white pill out of the bottle and downed it without water. He then turned the light off and headed for his bedroom.

Bianca had spread herself across his bed, wearing a stunning but revealing black dressing gown. She looked at her boyfriend giving him a flirty smile.

“Finally.” She said before gesturing him to join her on the bed by using her finger.

Liam smiled politely before undressing himself. “You look nice.” Liam complimented her and then jumped onto the bed wearing only his cotton briefs. He gave Bianca a short and unsatisfying kiss before getting under the covers.

Bianca scoffed. “So…” She joined him under the covers and cuddled into him giving him another kiss, this one longer and passionate.

“Um, I’m tired.” Liam told her. He separated himself from her and faced away from her. “Goodnight.”

“Goodnight?” Bianca chuckled in disbelief. “Goodnight!” She snarled before throwing the covers off the bed completely.

“Babe?”

Bianca started gathering her clothes together as loudly and inconsiderable as possible.

“What are you doing babe?” Liam sat up in the bed and watched his girlfriend search for the missing fashionable yet affordable heel.

“I am going home to sleep in my own bed.” Bianca explained a little aggressively.

“Just sleep with me.” Liam grabbed the quilt off the floor and spread it over himself. He then opened it up to show her that there was room for her.

“I can sleep at home. I’m here for something else.”

“I’m just…” Liam had trouble finishing his sentence.

“Not in the mood?” Bianca answered for him. “Unattractive?”

“Don’t be stupid.” Liam let out a snicker.

“Oh so I am unattractive and stupid?” Bianca threw her shoe at him, the shoe missed and hit the wall in a loud thud.

“You’re going to wake up Roo.” Liam said getting aggravated by his girlfriend’s overreaction. “Just go home and wake up the people unfortunate enough to live in the same place as you.”

Bianca glared at Liam, Liam lay back down and threw the covers over his head. Bianca continued looking for her things.

Bianca tried not to make too much noise as she crept into the Beach House, she tiptoed inside and accidently closed the front door too loudly. She turned around and saw Irene and Paul on the lounge talking.

“Oh.” Bianca said a little surprised. “Hi.”

“Bianca this is Paul, my grandson, he’ll be staying with us for a while.” Irene explained.

“Hey.” Bianca greeted with a quiet, friendly tone.

“Hi.” Paul responded nonchalant.

“I’ll just go up to bed.” Bianca walked upstairs. “Goodnight.”

“So…” Paul said when he heard Bianca close her bedroom door. “How long am I staying?”

“You can stay as long as you like.” Irene gave her grandson a hug and kissed him on the forehead.

Paul rested his head on his grandmother’s shoulder. “What do I call you?”

“What do you mean?” Irene asked knowing exactly what her grandson meant.

“Do I call you Mum? Or do I still call you Nan?”

SEVEN

PAUL & APRIL’S STORY

Paul walked out of the bedroom situated in front of the stairs, his new bedroom. He was wearing only black boxer shorts. Bianca and Irene were at the table, Bianca was eating cereal and still dressed in the same dressing gown as the night before but covering it with a pink bathrobe. Irene already dressed, downed her coffee and stood up to greet her grandson.

“Morning love, did you want some breakfast?” Irene asked in a pleasant voice. “I can make you some toast?”

“Nah I think I’ll just have a shower.” He mumbled before walking into the bathroom.

Bianca looked at Irene. “So where were we?” She thought about what she was saying before Paul woke up. “Did you know she broke up with Dexter?”

Irene shook her head.

“I don’t know what I’m going to do Irene, I mean there’s being passionate about something but then there’s being…” Bianca thought of the best word to describe her sister’s behaviour.

“Obsessive.” Irene finished the sentence for her.

“Yeah, exactly.” Bianca had another spoonful of cereal. “Maybe she should have been charged for trespassing, maybe it would have woken her up.”

“Well I wouldn’t wish that upon her, considering what I’ve got to go through with Paul’s charges.” Irene explained. “If I could get my hands on that son in law of mine...”

“Are you really sure Paul didn’t hit him first?”

Irene leant in close to Bianca and spoke quietly. “Did you see the bruise on Paul’s face?”

Bianca nodded.

“If Paul hit Joe first, then Joe wouldn’t have had a chance to fight back.”

“Good morning.” April walked out of her bedroom in her pyjamas and greeted Irene and her sister.

“Morning love, do you want some breakfast?” Irene grabbed the cereal box.

“Yeah…” April nodded. “I’ll just have a shower first.” April headed for the bathroom door.

“Oh love…” Irene tried to warn her.

April opened the bathroom door and shrieked. She close the door and walked into the livingroom red faced.

“…The bathroom’s occupied love.”

“Yeah…” April giggled with embarrassment. “…I noticed. Who’s that?”

“That’s my grandson.” Irene chuckled.

Paul walked out of the bathroom, still dripping wet. He tied the towel around himself and walked up to the dining table. “Get a good look?” He asked with a slight cackle.

“Sorry I didn’t realise you were in there.” April smiled.

“You’re April?” Paul leaned over Bianca to grab a slice of vegemite on toast off of her plate and took a bite. “I’m Paul.”

Bianca pushed Paul away from her. “You’re all wet.” She said in an enchanting tone that Paul didn’t take offence to.

“Paul, love, dry yourself off properly. You are getting the carpet wet.” Irene lectured.

“Yeah and me.” Bianca added.

April laughed. “Well I’m going to have my shower and I, unlike others know how to use the lock.”

“Well I, unlike others don’t have anything to be ashamed of.” Paul retorted.

April pushed him gently and ran into the bathroom and Paul disappeared into his bedroom.

“So there are two hormonal teenagers, both living downstairs?” Bianca looked at Irene with concern.

“Yeah…” Irene nodded. “But April’s only just broken up with Xavier.”

“I know.” Bianca nodded with a malevolent smile.

“Paul, love?” Irene called out. “Do you mind swapping rooms with Bianca?”

Archived