The Beach House

Guest Perry

• Replies 232
  • Created
  • Last Reply

FOUR

PAUL’S STORY

Mark stood strong catching every punch Paul swung at him with his pads, Mark struggled to keep count.

“98, 99, 300!” Mark said unsure whether he lost count somewhere along the way. “Come on now bro, snap kicks…”

Mark was taller then his brother Paul but Paul was bigger, stronger, faster and meaner. Mark used his arm to wipe his brow before moving the pads to Paul’s waist height. Both boys were very good looking but in different ways, Mark was a thin, lanky pretty boy with reddish hair and blue eyes where Paul was a rugged well built sixteen year old with white blond hair and ocean blue eyes.

“Paul the girl’s have already passed this point.” Mark taunted his brother.

Paul looked around the gymnasium to see the girls in the boxing class just stand around without realising that the reason their not doing the snap kicks is because they are too warn out.

“So me and Nikki at Abbie’s 16th, you know…?” Mark said as he caught a quick kick from Paul. “…I don’t have to draw a picture for you do I?”

“You wish.” Paul said kicking at his brother a little harder.

“Well that would make her number four…” Mark giggled. “…That’s the fourth girl, not the fourth time.”

“I don’t know if I would call Nicole Nelson a girl.” Paul kicked his brother at half strength, meaning it was a lot harder then Mark was use to.

“So how many have you had?” Mark teased. “One? Or was it half because it was only head…?” Mark struggled as Paul’s kicks got harder and harder. “…But that’s if I believe it actually happened in the first place.”

“It happened.” Paul said as he changed his kicking leg around.

“Rightio Virginio…” Mark said unconvinced. “…The whole team knows…”

“Knows what?”

“…That you’re just a big homo…”

Paul kicked again but this time he missed the pads altogether and got his brother square in the nose. Mark fell straight to the ground the class gathered around to see whether he was ok. Paul knelt down next to his brother.

“You hit me on purpose.” Mark said as he tried to stop the blood with his hand.

Paul grabbed Mark’s sweat towel and gave it to his brother but Mark just threw it back at him.

“It was an accident…” Paul tried explaining in a sympathetic tone. “…You didn’t have the pads in the right spot.”

The young female trainer tried to help Mark up but Mark hit her hand away in a tantrum. “Let me have a look.” She said trying to survey the damage to his face.

Mark just kept his bloody nose covered, he got up on his own accord.

“Mark let us see…” Paul pleaded.

Mark threw his pads at his brother in a vicious rage before storming out of the Youth Centre. Paul threw his gloves off and grabbed his and his brother’s stuff and followed after him. Mark was running down the street towards their house, Paul caught up to him. Mark was now in tears.

“You are completely insane you know that?” Mark yelled as he tried to run away from Paul but was too sore and tired from boxing class to get any distance from him.

“It was an accident, as if I meant to kick you.”

“Well as if you didn’t.”

“Mark, I’m not trying to brag but I really think you should go to the hospital. I would have broken your nose dude.” Paul grabbed Mark by his shoulder to stop him but Mark pushed him off. Paul looked behind them and saw the trail of blood coming from the gymnasium to where they were now. “Mark, seriously, let me look at it.”

“Just **** off you crazy ****.”

The boys arrived at their house, Mark opened the gate staining the almost freshly painted steel with his bloody hand print and walked to the front door. Paul dropped his gym bag and opened the door for him. Mark pushed past him and walked inside.

“He kicked me in the face.” Mark cried as he walked past Joe, his stepfather to walk down the hallway to his bedroom.

“He what?” Joe asked getting up off the lounge to follow his favourite boy. He made it to the hallway to see Mark slam the door with enough force to shake the wall.

Joe was a thin man in his mid forties, he had short dark hair, almost shaved and a bushy beard, he was still dressed in the suit he wore to work.

Paul walked towards his bedroom but Joe stopped him.

“What did you do to him?” Joe asked in a threatening tone.

“I kicked him by accident in class.” Paul answered with little emotion.

“It wasn’t a ****ing accident.” Mark said opening the door again.

Joe grabbed Mark and had a close look at the damage to his face.

“You’ve broken his nose Paul.” Joe said turned to the muscular teenager. “What do you got to say for yourself?”

“I’m sorry he can’t hold a pad right.” Paul remarked with a little scoff before he started heading to his bedroom again.

Joe grabbed Paul and threw him against Paul’s bedroom door with enough force to break the door knob. “I’ve had enough of you.” Joe then clenched his fist hard and with a vicious arc brought it down hard into Paul’s face. “How do you like it?”

Paul grabbed his cheek not because it hurt from being punched but was more shocked about being punched. The rage built up inside of him tremendously and he had to retaliate. Still with adrenalin pumping through him from the boxing class, Paul punched into Joe like he did to the pads his brother was holding in class. Thud… ….thud… …thud… strong, rhythmic, hard and insistent like the beat of a petrified heart. And then Joe’s face, the hallway carpet, walls and Paul’s fists were bloodier then an abattoir. Joe appeared strong though, he managed to remain standing, but his eyes were wide and he was shivering from fear, he really wasn’t that strong, he was that scared he couldn’t react.

“What’s going on?” Finlay asked having only just getting home from work to see her house looking like the set from an A Nightmare on Elm Street film. “What did you do Paul?” Finlay looked at the only boy without a visible wound.

“Mum he hit me.” Paul sobbed.

“Who hit you? What’s happened?” Finlay stepped closer to the three boys.

“He jumped me in the hallway.” Paul looked to his mum almost begging for her to believe him.

“I didn’t…” Joe answered letting the blood drip down over his mouth. “…I was defending myself and Markie.”

“Mum Paul’s crazy, he kicked me for no reason.” Mark added.

Fin walked over and gave Mark a hug, she then glared at Paul in disgust of his actions, in disgust of him.

“Mum?” Paul pleaded not being able to hold the tears in. “I didn’t…”

Fin looked away from Paul and looked to see Mark’s injured face.

“Mum?” Paul said again very distraught.

Fin didn’t respond to her son, she wiped up Mark’s blood with her sleeve and kissed him on the cheek. “I better take the two of you to casualty.” She walked up to her husband and helped him up and the three of them headed to the door leaving Paul to stand in the hallway by himself.

Archived