Quick Fanfiction Contest Archive

Guest ish_the_angel

Woops. I have read both entries & was going to come back to vote because I didn't have the time. But here I am now.

I loved both entries. Obviosuly a lot of effort went into them.

& a lot of time was clearly spent on them.

They were very well written.

But the one that had me most hooked the whole way through was entry number one, so my vote goes to that one.

• Replies 263
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Entry #1 - Great story had me hooked straight away, I thought it was Leah so I was surprised at the end when I found out was Bianca.

Entry #2 - Another Great story, couldn't help but laugh at the end when I found out it was Brax and Heath.

They were both amazing stories but I gonna have to go with Entry #1.

Fantastic job, the both of you's. xx

Well done guys, they are both very well written and intriguing stories.

entry one I like how it was written but at times I feel you may have had trouble keeping with the word limit and it seemed you may have skipped parts which may have added a lot more, I like that you brought Robertson back but feel you may have underused him, a few more witty lines would have been great. I really liked that Watson was in focus it made a nice change. I however knew that it was Bianca all along so I wasn't surprised by the ending but it was so well written that didn't bother me too much.

entry two I really enjoyed this story and loved that you brought up the guilt Angelo still had for killing Jack, I thought the ending was funny but feel the last few lines weren't needed and seemed a little comic book to me we got what happened with this line: "‘I can’t believe he actually fell for it’ Heath grinned and despite it all, Brax couldn’t help but smile back at him." The other lines just took a little away from the big reveal and felt a bit like unnecessary exposition.

A big thumbs up to both entries, they were both really well written and both did their job at being entertaining, however I am going to have to choose entry two I did enjoy it more and thought the reveal was handled better.

entry 1- I really enjoyed reading this entry. It had me intrigued the whole way through. It would have been better if you had given Robertson a few more funny lines to say but it was still really good.

entry 2- I thought this entry was really cleverly written. The whole idea was really good and it made me laugh when the river boys turned out to be behind it. Angelo must have been feeling pretty guilty when he thought it was Jack!

It was a really hard decision, due to the fact that they are both great fics but my vote is going to have to go with entry 1 because it kept me guessing who was dead up to the very end. xx

Face Down

There was a nice mystery surrounding the identity of the dead woman:I thought it might be Leah, then it occurred to me it might be Bianca and I began to lean towards her when the story mentioned the woman’s family and the obvious suspect, which I thought might be Vittorio.Making Watson the lead character rather than Charlie was a pleasant surprise.The writing was a bit stilted at times but that didn’t spoil my enjoyment and it wrapped everything up nicely.

Whispers in the Shadows

This also set up a good mystery, leaving me wondering why Angelo couldn’t sleep and why he was feeling guilty.The apparent supernatural revelation had me completely fooled that Jack’s ghost was behind everything so the last twist that Brax and Heath were responsible took me completely by surprise.I couldn’t quite get how they could impersonate Jack’s voice but I thought it was a very clever ending.

Both writers deserve a lot of credit but, for an excellent piece of misdirection, I’m casting my vote for Entry 2.

Well done to both authors, I really enjoyed both stories. Both showed huge amounts of imagination and both were very original. After some deliberation my vote goes to entry 1. I was genuinely in suspense the whole way through and I was desperate to get to the end to find out. Entry 2 didn't catch my attention as much, possibly because it was more supernatural at the start.

Entry One

Loved Watson as the main character. I did suspect that Bianca was the victim so the ending wasn't too surprising. Very interesting idea though.

Entry Two

Nicely written and tells the story well. Not sure about the last little bit of Brax and Heath's exchange, but it helped tie up the story. It was also quite amusing how they got Angelo out of the Bay. Nice twist.

The Verdict

Both stories were written well and had very interesting ideas.

But I'm voting for Entry 2 because the writing style is a little easier to read and the characters are explored in a bit more detail. The concept, idea and execution of the story was very well done.

Both writers should be proud of what they have achieved here :)

Thanks QA

Well Entry One Face Down was by soph1303

Entry two Whispers In The Shadows was by Zetti

Sorry about the miss count :( #

It was a draw its down to you two to decide who hosts the next contest

I'm off to hide now :ph34r:

• 1 month later...

Quick Fanfiction Contest 26

Return To The Bay

A former member of Summer Bay has returned.

Who is back? Are they back for good or just temporarily? Is the visit one of an innocent nature, or is there a much more sinister reason for their return?

Word limit: 5000 words maximum

Entry 1 - Alf's Surprise

“Yoho only me” I said as I walked into the Summer Bay House to collect my mail. “Is anyone here?”

“Hi” Alf grunted coming in from outside.

“Hey Dad, you don’t sound happy, what’s wrong?” I asked.

“Nothing. I just don’t like all the changes that John Palmer has made to the club” Alf replied.

“Well I like the changes” I said.

“Of course you do, you helped” Alf said.

“You need to get out of this mood Dad. You’ve been this way practically since you got back”

“Yeah well maybe I’m just not sure what to do with my life anymore did you ever think of that? I mean everyone’s gone. Sally and Cassie have left. Ric and Mattie are in Perth. Martha is I don’t even know where she is. You’re all grown up. What’s an old guy to do?” Alf replied.

“I’m sure you will figure out what will cheer you up Dad. You always do”

“Anyway enough about me, how’s that Doctor boyfriend of yours hey? Treating you well I hope”

“Things between me and Sid are perfect” I answered.

“Well I hope for your sake that things stay that way” Marilyn said walking in.

“What’s that supposed to mean?” I asked.

“Nothing” Marilyn replied.

“Rightio. Anyway I’ll see you both later” I said.

“Yeah bye” Alf replied.

I walked back to my house that I share with my bestie Laura and my friends Liam & Bianca Murphy.

“Why the long face?” Bianca asked me looking up from marking papers.

“I think Dad’s having a hard time settling back in” I said.

“What makes you say that?” Laura asked.

I sat down on the couch next to them.

“He’s been in a bad mood. I don’t know I just think he needs a little cheering up” I said.

“So what are you going to do about it?” Bianca asked.

“I’m not sure yet” I replied. “Anyway, where’s the man of the house?”

“He’ll be back soon” Bianca smiled.

“Good cos I’m starving you guys want dinner?” I asked.

“I’m not going to say no to food” Bianca replied.

“Don’t worry about dinner I picked up some pizzas” Liam said entering the room.

“You are the best husband in the world” Bianca declared.

Liam put the pizzas on the table and grabbed Bianca. He pulled her close and kissed her passionately.

“Woohoo” I yelled.

“Sexy” Laura screamed.

Bianca laughed. “You guys are such idiots” She said.

“Oi I’m no idiot. I’m a Stewart” I said.

We all sat down around the table and started eating the Pizzas. I pretty much zoned out the conversation that was happening between Liam, Bianca and Laura as an idea had popped into my head.

“Why so quite? Thinking about Dr Dish?” Laura asked awhile later.

I laughed. “I don’t always think about Sid” I said.

“You do alot” Bianca disagreed.

“Anyway, I was thinking about Dad. And I think I have an idea that will cheer him up” I said.

“What’s wrong with Alf?” Liam asked.

“Oh I think he’s just a bit down, needs some cheering up” I said.

“Right. Well I’m sure he’ll be fine soon enough” Liam said.

“Yes I think you’re right. Especially with my idea. But I just need to call someone” I said. “Don’t you eat all the pizza”

“We will” Laura replied.

I rolled my eyes and went to make the phone call.

“Hello?” he answered on the third ring.

“Hi” I said. “I know we haven’t really talked much lately but I think there’s something wrong with Dad”

“Roo, what do you mean something’s wrong?” He asked panicked.

“Oh no. Nothing medical. It’s just that he just got back from his trip and I think he needs some cheering up. And I know a visit from you guys would work” I said.

“Well you’ve called at a good time because we were going to come over anyway. We have some news” he told me.

“Good news I hope?” I asked excitedly.

“Yes. But I’ll tell you when we get there” he said.

“Okay. Well I’ll text you my new number and you can tell me when to get you from the airport okay?” I said.

“Sounds good” he said. “See you soon Roo”

“Bye” I said.

I walked back to the others smiling.

“What’s with that smile?” Laura asked.

“Plan’s in the works” I said mysteriously.

“And you’re not going to tell us are you?” Bianca guessed.

“Nope. That will ruin the surprise” I said picking up some pizza.

A few days later I arrived at the airport.

“Ric, Mattie” I called excitedly immediately spotting them amongst the crowd of people that were about.

“Roo” Ric greeted me with a hug.

“Hi Roo” Mattie grinned at me.

“Hey how was the flight?” I asked.

“It was okay” Mattie answered.

“Everybody this is my I guess you would call him my cousin Ric and his girlfriend Mattie” I said to Liam, Bianca, Laura and Sid as soon as we walked through the door an hour later.

They all said hello’s.

“Nice to meet you Ric, Mattie” Sid shook both there hands.

“Sid’s my boyfriend” I exclaimed. “And this is Laura. And Liam & Bianca”

“Nice to meet you all” Mattie said.

“We’d love to stay and chat but I think we should go see Granddad now” Ric looked at me. “I think you should come with us”

“Oh right. Yes. For your news” I said giving Sid a kiss goodbye.

“See you later” Sid said looking at me lovingly.

We walked to the Summer Bay House.

“Hey Miles” Ric said.

“OMG” Miles grinned. “Hi guys”

“Hi” Mattie smiled and hugged him.

“Leah babe come here” Miles said.

“What, I’m trying to make food” she broke into a smile. “OMG. Hi you guys” She hugged them both.

“Hi” Ric smiled. “So is Grandad here?”

“Yeah I’ll just get him for you” Miles said. He went outside and dragged Dad inside.

“Miles what is so flaming important”

“Hi Grandad” Ric said.

“Strike me flaming roan” Alf said smiling brightly. “Ric, Mattie what you are guys doing here?”

“Surprise!” Mattie said.

“Such a lovely surprise” Alf said. “Are you back for good?”

“Just for a visit because we have some news to tell you” Ric said.

Mattie held out her hand. “We’re engaged!” they said excitedly.

“Oh wow congratulations” Alf said giving them each a hug.

“Yeah congratulations” I echoed smiling happily.

We opened a bottle of champers and we all stood around talking for quite awhile.

“So, are you cheered up now Dad?” I asked.

“Yes, I’m very happy now” He replied looking around at all the smiling faces in front of him.

Entry 2 - Unexpected Return

A knock sounds from the Caravan Park house front door. Alf looks up from his spot on the couch where he’s reading the newspaper to see if anyone else is willing to get the door. He finds the house empty. Alf sighs and gets up off the couch, putting the paper on the coffee table.

Alf opens the door. A young girl, no older than eight, stares back at him and smiles. Her curly brown hair shines in the sunlight.

‘Mr Stewart,’ she states.

Alf nods at her. ‘Yeah. Can I help you?’

The young girl smiles again. ‘Yes.’ She nods at him, her hair flopping around her head. ‘I believe you know my mother.’

Alf stares at the young girl confused. ‘And who would your mother be?’ he asks her.

‘I think we should sit down first,’ she states. She lets herself into the house and sits down on the couch, making herself at home. She puts her duffle bag at her feet casually.

Alf walks over to her and sits down beside her. ‘So who’s your mother?’ Alf asks again, completely baffled by this young girl. He gets the sense that he knows her, he just doesn’t know where from.

‘You probably know her as Sally,’ the girl says.

‘Little Pippa?’ Alf asks her, shocked.

The girl smiles broadly at him. ‘That’s me,’ she states. ‘And not so little any more thank you very much.’

Alf gives a half smile at her last remark. ‘What’re you doing back here?’ Alf asks, completely confused by the young girls sudden appearance in their lives.

‘Got any food? I couldn’t eat anything on the flight, travel sickness,’ Pippa says. She walks over to the fridge and opens it, helping herself to a bottle of orange juice. She opens a cupboard and finds a glass. ‘Some things don’t change,’ she mutters to herself as she pours herself a drink.

‘Would you like one?’ Pippa asks Alf politely.

Alf watches her amused. ‘No thanks love,’ he answers.

She puts the juice away and walks back to Alf and plops down on the seat beside him. She takes a long drink before she speaks again.

‘Mr Stewart, I want to come back and live here,’ Pippa says matter-of-factly. ‘And live here in the house I grew up in.’ Pippa smiles at him warmly. She takes another mouthful of her juice.

‘And what does your mother think of this idea?’ Alf asks.

Pippa’s smile fades and she looks away from him.

‘She always talks about coming back to Summer Bay,’ Pippa says. She gave a small smile at the mention of the town.

‘So where is she?’ Alf asks. ‘Did she come with you?’ He looks around eagerly, as if expecting her to appear out of thin air.

Pippa shakes her head. ‘Not exactly.’

Miles walks into the house and sees Pippa on the couch.

‘Hey Uncle Miles,’ Pippa says warmly. She smiles at him broadly.

Miles looks confused at the term “uncle” being used on him before he realises who she is. He smiles at her warmly.

‘Little Pippa,’ Miles states. He walks over to her and hugs her tightly on the couch. She hugs him back, comforted in his arms.

‘What’re you doing here?’ Miles asks. ‘Is your mother here too?’ Miles, like Alf had done, looks around eagerly.

Pippa looks from Alf to Miles, unwilling to answer their question.

‘Knock knock,’ Leah says as she lets herself into the house. She looks over at the young girl on the couch, who now looks simply uncomfortable. ‘Sorry, I didn’t know you had company,’ Leah exclaims. She looks at Miles. ‘She’s not Rabbit is she?’ Leah asks as she points to Pippa.

Miles smiles at Leah. ‘No, she’s Pippa,’ Miles states.

Leah looks over at the young girl on the couch. ‘Pippa!’ she exclaims. She walks over and hugs the young girl who seems to be rooted to the couch, unable to move. ‘How are you?’ Leah asks.

‘I’m tired from the trip, but good,’ Pippa states. She smiles at Leah. ‘How are you?’

‘I’m great now that you’re here,’ Leah smiles at her.

Miles walks over to Leah and pecks her cheek lightly.

‘Is your mother here too?’ Leah asks. She, like Alf and Miles, looks around for a sign of Sally.

‘That’s the question we all want an answer too,’ Alf states. He looks at Pippa. Miles and Leah follow suit.

Pippa looks around nervously. ‘Umm,’ she stutters, unsure how to go on.

‘Come on love,’ Alf says, trying to reassure her.

‘Mum and I lived in Bali for four years,’ Pippa starts before stopping abruptly. ‘I’m not sure how much she told you about our time over there…’

Leah sits down on the other side of Pippa and puts her arm around the young girl comfortingly. Miles sits down on the one seater next to the couch, and leans forward, eager to hear what the young girl has to say about his twin sister.

‘Not a lot. Whatever you want to say, just say it,’ Leah encourages.

Pippa looks up at Leah’s kind face.

‘Mum and I lived over there for four years together. She always talked about coming back here,’ Pippa tells them. ‘She loved it here.’

Leah nods at her, telling her to go on.

‘Mum got involved in a lot of charity work; homeless people, drop-in centres, orphans, everything,’ Pippa says. She smiles at the three adults around her, proud of her mother’s achievements.

‘One night she didn’t come home. I didn’t think much of it. She often stayed out all night talking to the less-fortunate, making them comfortable and things.’ Pippa stops again. She pauses for a moment, trying to work out how to go on.

‘So the next day I didn’t hear from her, so I went to find her to see if she was in her office at the shelter. I couldn’t think of anywhere else to look,’ Pippa stops. ‘She normally called in the morning if she got caught up somewhere. Something told me to look there first.’ Pippa looks around at the others surrounding her.

‘Was she there?’ Miles asks eagerly.

Pippa nods her head. ‘Yes,’ she states simply.

‘So what does this have to do with why you’re here?’ Leah asks.

‘I found mum beaten and bloodied on the floor of her office,’ Pippa says. She wipes a tear from her cheek, trying not to burst into tears.

Leah squeezes Pippa’s hand gently. ‘What happened?’ Leah asks, dreading the answer.

‘She got rushed to hospital. She managed to tell the police who did it. Mum and I talked for ages in the hospital that day. We talked about Dad, and Summer Bay, and everything. It was like she knew what was about to happen. And then she died in front of me,’ Pippa stops and looks at the others. Miles, Leah and Alf are shocked.

‘How?’ Miles asks in shock.

‘The doctors said it was internal bleeding. By the time they found it, she was gone,’ Pippa exclaims. She wipes her tears away roughly and looks at the adults surrounding her. She doesn’t know what to do next. Pippa opens her bag at her feet, and holds a silver urn in her hands.

‘Mum always wanted to come back here. To be with Dad,’ Pippa says. She looks at Leah. ‘She wanted to see you again, to thank you for having me.’

A tear falls down Leah’s cheek. Leah looks at the urn in Pippa’s hands and puts a hand on the metal urn. ‘I’d do it again in a second,’ Leah says. She kisses Pippa’s head gently as her tears begin to fall freely.

‘I came back here because I want to be where mum grew up. She loved it here,’ Pippa explains. She held up the urn. ‘Can you help me scatter these over the ocean? It’s what she wanted. It’s where she always wants to be. Where she felt at peace.’

‘Sure thing love,’ Alf says. He puts his hand on Pippa’s shoulder.

Pippa, Alf, Leah, Miles and Irene crowd around the back of the Blaxland on sunset. They floated freely on the still water. Pippa looked around at the adults surrounding her. They all give her a reassuring smile through their tears.

Pippa took a deep breath and unscrewed the lid off the urn. She stood at the edge of the boat and held up the urn.

‘Good bye mum. I’ll always love you,’ Pippa stated. She tipped up the urn and the ashes fell into the ocean.

‘Bye Sally,’ Miles, Leah, Alf and Irene chimed in together. They all stood together in silence, remembering their mother, friend and sister.

Pippa turned around and faced the adults behind her. Leah reached down and hugged the young girl in front of her, tears streaming down both their faces. The other adults followed suit. They stood in silence and remembered Sally, the friend they had all loved.

Voting closing 7th September

Please vote for your favourite entry and if you could give some feedback on the entries, I'm sure both of the writers would really appreciate it :)

Get Voting :D!!!

Archived