Quick Fanfiction Contest Archive

Guest ish_the_angel

• Replies 263
  • Created
  • Last Reply

They're both brilliant which makes this decision really difficult.

Fic 1 - I thought it was really effectively done with the two different point of views and it was nice to see how the characters felt by hearing their thoughts. I thought the way the two different points of views were merged together like with the "I'm pregnant" being done double was really clever and I could imagine that happening in the show with a scene change. It was really great how you worked through both Nicole's issues and Aden's with leaving Belle behind and then they were brought together at the end. I also liked how you had Nicole instinctively putting her hand on her stomach and having thoughts about the baby without even meaning it. It was fantastic really well done :)

Fic 2 - I loved the way two different contrasting situations were used that merged together to make things even more complicated, that was really clever. I also liked how the reader described Charlie's situation, leaving mystery over Leah and her were both worried about Rachel's reaction. But then it all became clear and was really heartbreaking as it made you wonder how you'd feel in both of their situations. You really brought the frustration and devastation that Tony and Rachel had experienced in their efforts to have a baby through well and you could really feel for them. I loved the scene between Rachel and Tony as you saw how they were both willing to sacrifice something for the other and I was actually really surprised that Rachel turned down Tony's offer for more I.V.F. It was a really realistic, heartbreaking portrayal and I loved how everything moved swiftly. There was no waffle or unnecessary scenes and the time jump at the end worked brilliantly, as you saw how both situations came together. I particularly loved how Tony and Rachel's situation wasn't dealt with in a cliche way with them suddenly falling pregnant, but you actually saw them finding another way to be a family and all excited over their new addition. It was really sweet :) And nice to see Charlie go through with the pregnancy and work out the situation with Angelo to fit their daughter.

So bearing all that in mind, I'm going to go with fic 2 because of the way two different situations were used which I thought made it more interesting and the way in which the scenes moved through a long period of time in a short amount of writing, without leaving anything out.

Well done to both!

Entry #1

Very interesting concept - changing points of view, but it works well in the story.

The inner thoughts ring true to the situation, and the words are true to the characters. They aren't forced, or poorly written.

This story is something different. The characters actions, in particular Nicole and Aden, are nicely described. It really draws the reader into the story and the life of the characters.

100% believeable. Wonderful dialogue. All is written well.

Entry #2

Touching. I love the meotions. THey are very well written.

The story touches on a couple of issues that most tv shows wouldn't dare go near; like talk of abortion and adoption. I am very glad that Charlie kept the baby and that Rachel and Tony got their child in the end.

Very well written, just like the other entry in this competition. THe dialogue helps move the story along and isn't at all tedious.

The Verdict

As a massive Charlie fan, it's a little hard to not be one-eyed on which story to pick. I liked both a lot. Both stories touched on topics most wouldn't.

I'm going to pick Entry #1, purely based on the different take it has with the point of views. But both were brilliant and both writers should be very proud of themselves for what they have created here. Well done to both writers, and I look forward to reading more from you at some point down the track! :)

First of all, I want to say a very big thank you to both entries. I read through them both & loved them so much! So it was a really close call in my own opinion, as well as everyone else's votes.

There was only one vote between them.

Congratulations to Kirsty for Enrty Number 2 & winning the Quick Fanfiction Contest #21.

& I am sure she won't mind me mentioning her because Entry Number 1 was a fantastic entry. Well done to Ellen for coming in second place, with only one vote less than Kirsty.

It was a very close call & I loved both the fanfictions.

Thank you to everyone else who voted as well! It's very much appreicated by myself and I'm sure Ellen & Kirsty ppreicate you reading their fics as well.

Kirsty, the next contest is over to you to host.

• 3 weeks later...

I received two fantastic entries for this contest so i'd like to say a big thank you to the authors for them. A lot of hard work clearly went into both of them so well done for that :) I found them both to be extremely well written intriguing and i'm glad i don't have to vote for a winner!

Entry 1.

The Wedding

“Dearly beloved, we are gathered here today in the presence of these witnesses, to join Annabelle Taylor and Aden Jefferies in matrimony. If any person can show just cause why they may not be joined together, let them speak now or forever hold their peace.”

The ceremony paused, yet, with nobody making any declarations, it continued.

“Do you, Annabelle Taylor, take Aden Jefferies to be your lawful wedded husband? Will you love him, cherish him and remain faithful to him, for as long as you shall live?”

“I do.”

“And do you, Aden Jefferies, take Annabelle Taylor, to be your lawful wedded husband? Will you love her, cherish her and remain faithful to her, as long as you shall live.”

“I do.”

The priest nodded at Aden who encouraged him to continue to speak.

“Belle ...”

“Aden, what” Belle began, confused as to what Aden was doing, having not prepared a speech herself. Aden pressed a finger to her lips before pulling it away and continuing.

“Belle, I love you. You are my soul mate and in a few minutes, will be my wife” he smiled happily. “I promise to encourage you, laugh with you, cry with you and in times of need, be there for you and comfort you. I give myself to you today and I love you ... always and forever.” Once Aden had completed his speech, he nodded at the priest who continued the ceremony.

“I now pronounce you, husband and wife. You may now kiss your bride.”

There were cheers, applauds and tears as Aden and Belle were announced husband and wife, pulling their bodies towards each other, kissing passionately, Belle’s arms snaking around Aden’s neck as he held her securely around the waist.

The scenery of the location allowed the wedding to be more romantic, yet nobody took notice of the birds singing, the sea lapping up against the brick wall, the hills in the background or even the pink paper love hearts that Annie had cut out and scattered on the paving, as the bride and groom were lost in each other throughout the entire service.

One Hour Before

Aden

“Aden, mate, you need to chill out” Roman smiled at the young man he had taken in to be his son as he prepared for his wedding.

Aden let out a breathy sigh before speaking. “It’s alright for you. You’re not the one who’s about to get hitched.” He brushed down his suit quickly, ensuring it was perfect, the small, white flower attached to the right hand side of the jacket, Aden having agreed to wear it after Nicole requested he did so.

Roman shook his head and laughed. “No, I’m not.” He paused, unsure of how to phrase his next sentence, before asking Aden the question he needed the answer to. “Are you sure you’re ready for this?”

Aden nodded. “Yeah, of course I am. I’ve ... we’ve been over this ... me and Belle. We’re ready ... it’s what we both want.” He nervously twiddled his thumbs as he sat on the sofa in the apartment.

“That’s awesome mate. I just hope you both know what you’re letting yourself in for. Marriage means commitment, love, loyalty ... what the hell mate; you are so ready for this aren’t you?” Roman spoke cheerily, realising that there was no need to doubt his son over his marriage which was to occur in an hour.

Aden smiled and nodded, taking a sip of water from the glass that stood on the coffee table in front of him. “Yeah, I’m ready. I just ... I want to marry Belle now. We’ve waited so long for all this and we’ve worked so hard to get here. I know she said she wasn’t ready a few years back but after ... I love her Roman and I want to make her my wife.”

“I don’t blame you either mate. She’s an amazing, talented girl ...”

“Yeah, and she’s my girl Roman so I’d watch what you say otherwise I’m gonna think you’ve got a thing for her” Aden joked, a broad grin forming across his face, disappearing as Roman’s facial expression remained serious.

“Well” Roman began, “there was that one time when ...”

“What?!” Aden suddenly exclaimed standing up, his fists clenched. He relaxed when a laugh emitted from Roman’s lips.

“Mate, I was joking. Wow ... you’re ... protective ... of her, aren’t you?” Roman smiled.

Aden regained his position on the sofa, resting his hands on his knees and he sucked in a deep breath and sighed. “Just a tad” he admitted. “I just ... I don’t ever want to see her get hurt, you know? And by the way, that was so not funny!” he told his foster dad, yet laughing as he did so, unable to obtain his serious expression.

“Look, Aden, I’m so proud of you and I’m certain you’re gonna be happy with Belle. Just be prepared for the future ... do you want to start a family with her?” he asked, the conversation of children with either Belle or Aden remaining to be a taboo subject.

Aden nodded. “Yeah. Of course I want children with her. We have spoken about it and we really, really want children. I just ... I want to keep her safe and happy ... I love her, Roman.”

“I think everyone in the Bay can see that mate. Let’s just hope Nicole makes sure she gets here on time” he laughed.

“It’s a woman’s prerogative to be late. But you need to get me there on time Roman ... you’re the best man so you’re being held responsible. Have you got the rings by the way?” Aden suddenly asked, taking another sip of water.

“Rings? I ... I thought you had them!” Roman suddenly exclaimed.

“What ... you ... but ... Roman! This is really not funny. I’m a nervous wreck as it is!” he suddenly cried out, although once again, couldn’t prevent the giggle that escaped his lips as he realised that Roman was teasing him.

“I can’t help it. You’re such an easy target today.”

“Yeah, I know. Look, Roman, I ... I just wanted to say thank you ...”

“Mate, you don’t have to. I know what you’re gonna say and all I can say is that it’s been my pleasure ...” he trailed off as Aden interrupted him.

“Roman, I have to. You took me in when dad was ... well, you know. I was a horrible person back then and I’ll never forgive myself for that. But you took me in and helped me ... you believed in me. You made that clear after the court case, I’ll always be grateful. You didn’t judge me, thank you. You are like ... you are a dad to me.”

“Aden” Roman smiled, yet a few tears that had sprung in his eyes were falling down his cheeks, his hand reaching up to wipe them away, “you have been through so much and everything with your dad and granddad ... you were so brave and the fact that you have managed to love Belle and look after her after everything ... that does make me proud and for that, I love you mate. To me, you really are my son.”

Belle

“Oh my God!” Nicole screeched as she fastened the clip of Belle’s wedding dress. “You look amazing!” she announced as she led Belle from her bedroom and through to the lounge in the beach house where Irene, Annie, Geoff and Amanda were awaiting her arrival.

“Love, you look gorgeous” Irene smiled, a few tears beginning to form in her eyes as she approached her foster daughter, wrapping her arms tightly around her and hugging her. “Aden is gonna love you in this dress” she chirped.

“He’ll love it even more when it’s on the floor” Nicole smiled as Belle scolded her, yet couldn’t deny that that would be the truth. “What?! “As if they won’t be ripping each other’s clothes off as soon as there on their honeymoon!” she joked as Annie and Geoff looked disgusted.

“Nic!” Belle warned, Nicole quietening down as she took a seat on the sofa.

“Darling” Amanda spoke softly. “I can’t believe I’m standing here on your wedding day. I’m just so glad that I’m here ...” she trailed off, smiling as she placed her hand on her daughter’s arm.

“I’m glad you’re here too mum” Belle smiled. “And thank you for doing my hair. I love it.”

“It was my pleasure darling” Amanda smiled. “I mean it’s not like I’m gonna get the chance to do it again, is it?”

“Let’s have a glass of champers before the big even, hey darl” Irene suggested. “Annie love, you can have a tiny drop, okay?” she smiled, as she took the bottle of champagne and poured out a small glass for everyone.

“Careful Belle” Geoff spoke. “You know, if you have too much to drink, they can actually call off the wedding” he told her.

“Don’t worry Geoff, I won’t be drinking too much. I want to know who I’m marrying at the altar” she giggled. “Anyway, whilst everyone is here, I just wanted to say a quick thank you to you all for being my family and for always being there for me ... I love you all so much and I already miss living here Irene but once I’m married ...”

“Love, Aden is not gonna keep you away from me for as long as I shall live!” she giggled.

Belle laughed. “I know, Irene and I will be over to visit and I’ll still be working at the diner but it won’t be the same.”

“No love, you’re right. It won’t. It will be better. You mark my words darl.”

Belle nodded, a tear falling down her cheek. “Irene ... look, I ... God I’m gonna start crying in a minute.”

“Don’t you dare Belle!” Nicole scolded.

“Yeah, you’ll ruin the makeup” Annie chirped as Irene took her foster daughter’s hand before speaking.

“Love, what’s wrong?” she asked as everyone gazed intently at Belle.

“I ... I ...” Belle stuttered. “Irene, you ... you have been amazing. When I came to the Bay ... I broke into your car ... but you took me in, you fed me, clothed me, got me a job, you just looked after me and it’s almost like for that part of my life ... you were my mum ... will you give me away?” she asked.

“Oh ... wow, love ...”

“You don’t have to” Belle suddenly whispered.

“Don’t have to?” Irene spoke, her eyebrow raised. “Love, I wouldn’t miss this opportunity for the world” she giggled, a tear trickling down her cheek as she pulled Belle into a hug.

“Thank you, Irene” Belle murmured.

“Well, I think this calls for a celebration ... more champagne anyone?” Amanda smiled at her daughter’s happiness as she smiled at Irene, before mouthing a quick ‘thank you’ to her for looking after her daughter.

“Belle Taylor, will you marry me?” Aden whispered, the smile on his face disappearing as Belle’s reaction was not the one he wanted or expected.

Belle stood in front of her boyfriend, Aden down on one knee and holding her hands in his own. His cuts and bruises had been tended to by Rachel at the hospital, yet Belle hadn’t expected him to ask her outright, especially tonight after revealing the reason as to why he had been put in hospital.

“Belle? Please, say something?” Aden suddenly spoke.

Belle shook her head and shrugged her shoulders, before pulling out her hands which were sandwiched between Aden’s. “I can’t” she muttered. “I’m sorry” she spoke again. She headed towards the front door of the apartment they shared and grabbed her coat which hung on the stand in the corner of the hallway.

“Belle!” Aden spoke loudly, taking her wrist as she attempted to pull on her coat.

“Aden, get off me!” Belle growled as Aden refused to drop his hold on her. Either way, she was still his girlfriend and he wasn’t going to allow her to walk away from him again, demanding an explanation.

“No, Belle” he attempted to keep hold of her as she struggled against him, breaking free from him as she exited the apartment and pulled on her coat, heading down the street. He swore underneath his breath, grabbing his own jacket and leaving to find Belle.

He searched the surf club and diner, yet there was no sign of her and as it grew dark, Aden became increasingly worried. He had spoken to Rachel, Irene, Annie, Geoff and Roman yet nobody had seen her. “Belle, where are you” he muttered under his breath, before pulling out his mobile phone and calling her. He swore when it went to voicemail.

Heading towards the beach, he began to jog by the sea front, hoping to find Belle somewhere in the Bay, not going home until he had found her safe and sound. As he headed further up the beach, he saw two figures, and jogged towards them, recognising them as he approached them.

“No, Russell! I said no! I don’t want ... get off of me!” Belle screamed as Russell grabbed her by the wrist, his hand clasping it tightly to ensure she couldn’t run away from him.

“Shut up! You ... I need money and you are going to give it me! You were a client and you don’t walk away from me that easily.”

“Get off” Belle cried, whimpering in pain as Russell dug his nails into her wrist and yanked her towards him.

“Oi!” Aden yelled as he approached them. “Get your hands off of her!” he growled as Russell began to laugh.

“Look mate, this is between me and her so stay out it!” he told him firmly, keeping a tight hold on Belle’s wrist.

“Let her go now!” Aden growled. With Russell not following Aden’s command, Aden lashed out, clenching his fist and punching the man in front of him, knocking him to the ground. “Stay the hell away from her. You got that?” he growled as he looked down at Russell, who had his hand over his nose.

Turning round, Aden took in his girlfriend’s dishevelled state and took her hand. “Come on, let’s get you home” he murmured, leading her away from her ex drug dealer.

30 Minutes Later

A gasp emitted from Belle as Aden pressed the cold flannel to her wrist, tending to her injuries.

“Okay babe” he murmured gently. “It will sting a bit” he referred to the small gash Russell had caused after pressing his nails deeply into Belle’s soft and tender skin. As he looked up, he noticed a few unshed tears and on making eye contact, they fell down her cheeks. “Oh babe” he murmured, placing the flannel into the small bowl on the bathroom floor and reaching up to her to wipe away the tears.

“Don’t” she murmured, pushing away his hand. “I was so horrible to you earlier and you didn’t have to help me” she told him truthfully.

“Belle, your still my girlfriend. Just because you said no, it doesn’t mean I don’t love you anymore. It would take a lot more than that to keep me away from you. What did Russell want anyway?” he asked, taking the flannel once again and pressing it gently against her wrist.

Belle sniffled. “He’s lost me as a client ... he’s losing money and he ... he wants me to buy more drugs from him” she choked out. “But I swear Aden, I didn’t. I ...”

“Hey, hey” Aden murmured. “I believe you” he told her with a smile, placing his hand on her knee, gently rubbing it to offer her his support.

Belle lowered her head. “I’m sorry.”

“You have nothing to be sorry for, Belle” Aden told her confidently. “Cone on” he murmured. “It’s late. Bed” he decided, the bleeding on the wrist having stopped. He stood up and gently lifted Belle off the seat of the toilet, having needed to sit there to ensure Aden could tend to her injuries.

He carried her through to their bedroom and lowered her onto the bed, gently pulling off her shoes and placing them on the floor beside the bed.

“Thank you” she murmured as Aden perched himself on the edge of the bed, stroking Belle’s hand as he held it tightly between his own. “And I am sorry” she told him as they made eye contact. “I want to marry you ...”

“Belle, you don’t have to ...”

“No, I do. Aden ... I’m not ready for marriage yet. You saw what happened on the beach” she told him, caressing his hand softly. “If I relapse, I don’t know what I’d do ... and that’s not fair on you. If I’m not ready then it’s not fair if I go ahead with this and marry you. I love you, Aden but I’m not ready for this.”

Aden sat on the chair in the corridor of the hospital awaiting the arrival of any doctors or other professionals that could deliver him the news, whether it was good or bad. But he needed to know what had happened, what was happening.

The disinfectant smell circulated in the corridor, the grey plastic chairs and the white clinical walls reminding Aden of the place he was in.

Irene was sat next to him, as was Roman on the other side of him whilst Annie, Geoff and Nicole were sat opposite them, Nicole and Annie both having tears running down their cheeks until they received confirmation that Belle was okay.

Within moments, Rachel made an appearance, exiting Belle’s hospital room.

“Rach?” Aden questioned, standing up from his position and heading towards the doctor. “How is she?” he asked, as everyone else sat in the corridor sat up to attention.

Rachel averted her eyes to the floor as she spoke. “She’ll be okay. She’s awake” she told him, looking up at him once again and making eye contact with him.

“She lost the baby, didn’t she?” he asked as Rachel nodded and apologised for his loss. “Thank you, Rach. Can ... can I see her?” he asked as Rachel opened the door and allowed him to enter.

“Hey” he breathed as he entered the room and took in his girlfriend’s dishevelled figure.

“Aden” she choked out. “I’m so sorry” she cried.

“Hey” he murmured, approaching her softly, perching on the edge of the bed and pulling her into his arms. He held her tightly around the waist, hushing her every now and again and pressing kisses into her hair. “None of this is your fault. You don’t need to be sorry” he told her gently.

“But I lost our baby” she cried into his chest.

“No, you didn’t. Your pregnancy was ectopic and there was nothing anyone could have done to stop this from happening. You didn’t do anything wrong.”

Belle sniffled. “You’re not just saying that?” she sighed as Aden shook his head and pressed a kiss into her hair before speaking.

A couple of hours passed and Rachel had since been in to check up on Belle and she had had various visitors offer their apologies to her and Aden, providing their support for the couple.

“Belle ... look, I know this probably isn’t the best place right now but ... God sweetheart, I nearly lost you” Aden murmured once they were alone. He rose from his chair and perched himself on the edge of the bed taking Belle’s hand within his own, caressing it gently to ensure he didn’t make contact with the drips that were pumping substances into her body. “I love you, so, so much Belle and I can’t live without you. I know this now, more than ever. And I know now really isn’t the right time considering the circumstances but it’s made me realise just how beautiful, strong and amazing you are.” He reached into his pocket and pulled out a small box. “I was going to do this tonight” he told her, referring to the romantic meal he had prepared. “Belle Taylor, will you do me the extraordinary honour of marrying me and becoming my wife?”

“Oh my gosh!” Belle exclaimed as Aden entered the room, the honeymoon suite at the hotel, Aden carrying Belle bridal style as they entered.

“Do you like it?” he asked as he gently put her to the floor, allowing her to stand comfortably.

“Like it? Aden, I love it. It’s beautiful. Did you ...” she asked, gesturing to the red and pink confetti scattered around the room, as well as the bottle of champagne on the table along with two glasses.

Aden nodded. “Yeah ... all for you ... Mrs Jefferies” he smiled as Belle giggled. “What?” he asked with a small smile.

“I love being Mrs Jefferies. You know, there are a million girls out there that would wish they were Mrs Jefferies right now and I’m the luckiest one out of them all” she told him.

“Is that so?” Aden asked as he leant towards Belle and pressed a kiss to her lips.

“Mmmm” Belle smiled as she passionately reciprocated the kiss. “That is so. I am very, very lucky Mr Jefferies. I love you ... so much” she whispered as she leant back and made eye contact with her husband, who placed his finger underneath her chin and smiled at her.

“You love me? Prove it” he murmured as he pulled his wife’s body towards him, wrapping his arms around her, snaking them towards the clip on the side of her dress. In one swift movement, he unclipped it, gently pushing against Belle who gratefully succumbed to his technique, pulling him closer towards her as they fell onto the bed, Aden holding his body above Belle’s.

He caressed her thigh as Belle removed Aden’s wedding jacket before moving her hands onto his chest, which was covered by his shirt. She unfastened the buttons, removing the shirt from his muscular body to reveal his toned abdomen as her hands wandered down towards the belt on his trousers, unclipping it and pulling it through the loop holes and throwing it to the floor.

Within the moments, the couple had removed their clothes down to their underwear, as Aden hungrily trailed kisses down Belle’s neck and on her jaw line, before pressing kisses to her navel.

“You are so beautiful, Belle. I love you ... so much” he told her as he cupped her face, before the newly wedded couple made love, climaxing as they pleasured each other, their bodies merging into one.

“That was ...” Belle began.

“Amazing!” Aden finished the sentence for her as Belle placed her head on Aden’s chest, her husband resting his arm over her back and gently running his fingertips up and down her bare back.

“Yeah” Belle giggled. “Definitely amazing. Nicole said you would prefer me out of the dress rather than in it.”

“Prefer, yes. But I do love the dress.”

“Admit it though” Belle smiled. “You had a lot more fun taking it ... ripping it off.” She paused for a moment before speaking again. “Do you ever think about ...”

Aden nodded, knowing what she was going to say. “Of course I do babe. I can’t forget, you can’t forget. I don’t think it works like that.”

“But we can try again, can’t we?” she asked him, looking up to him.

“What did we just do?” Aden laughed, raising an eyebrow. “If I was any good, then I’m pretty sure I’ve done the job.”

“You sure? I mean, practice makes perfect ... we could always try again just to make sure.”

“Yeah?” Aden asked with a smile. “Okay then” he murmured, before rolling over as once again, their bodies merged as one as they made love to each other.

Entry 2

One Day We'll Bring Him Home

Tony rolled the pencil between his fingers, not really focusing on the student’s work in front of him. It was late in the day and the sun had just begun to set, leaving a dark orange glow to fill the living room. It seemed so wrong. Not even a beautiful sunset could bring him any happiness anymore. He shook his head and forced himself to concentrate, his eyes constantly checking the clock above the stove. He couldn’t be late. She got home from shopping at the same time each week without fail, although it felt like it had been longer than seven days. His heart lifted at the thought and he smiled; only one hour to go. Suddenly the door opened noisily, disrupting Tony’s peaceful space and the sight of his wife caused him to feel an angry rush of emotion pour through his chest.

“Hey” she smiled meekly, aware of the tension between them. Her eyes felt so heavy after a long day at work and she had a raging headache which wasn’t helped by the thoughts which had been consuming her all afternoon.

“Hi” he curtly answered, sliding the sheets of his student’s test paper into a pile before placing them in his work bag. He didn’t even look at her.

“I hope you haven’t been working too hard?” she cautiously asked. There was no point asking if he’d had a good day, she knew that they didn’t’ exist anymore. Not since their little boy…

“Well if you can work all day every day then why shouldn’t I?” he bit back, taking a sip from the glass of water in front of him.

Rachel winced. She tried every time not to let his words upset her but it was no use. They hurt. And he was right. She worked every shift the hospital gave her and more, it was the only way she found she could cope. Being alone in a room terrified her as it allowed the thoughts she didn’t want to hear seep into her mind and it reminded her exactly of what she’d lost. What they’d lost. She was the mother of an eleven month old baby, it shouldn’t be quiet. She didn’t understand how Tony could do it, he seemed to embrace being alone and she’d often find him sitting in the living room in the middle of the night with nothing but the sound of the birds outside echoing in the room.

“I wondered if we could talk about Saturday” she tentatively began…

“I don’t want to talk about it” Tony brushed off immediately, his eyes focused on the water rippling as he tapped the glass gently.

“But Tony it’s important, please; I just want us to do something together for him” Rachel hurriedly explained, aware that he would be cutting her off at every opportunity.

“I said, I don’t want to talk about it” he boomed back, his finger tapping faster at the glass as water splashed onto the kitchen table.

“But it’s his first birthday” she cried, tears trickling down her cheeks. It frustrated her so much that he wouldn’t talk to her about him; she needed to talk about Harry. To keep him alive.

“I know what it is” he screamed, jumping up forcefully from his chair as he flung the glass across the room. Rachel jumped as it collided with the wooden cabinet, shattering into tiny pieces which were scattered across the floor. She swallowed hard and slowly looked up at him, his face totally unrecognisable to her. He was breathing hard and his once gentle eyes had become hardened and angry.

“Harry’s not here” Tony whispered in an almost robotic voice. “And I won’t celebrate his birthday without him.” He looked up at the clock once again and Rachel didn’t miss the calm which seemed to appear on his face, the fraught wrinkles around his eyes becoming relaxed. She watched as he collected his keys from the side and headed towards the door. She knew where he was going.

“I love you” she choked after him, desperate to let him know before he left. All she got back was the sound of the front door slamming, a sound which had become familiar to her over the last ten months. But knowing what was happening didn’t make it any easier and she started to cry, her breath becoming harder to catch as the sobs consumed her whole body. Whilst she coped by immersing herself in work, he dealt with his pain by seeing other women. It would be naïve of her to not realise it. She’d known for months. Pulling herself over to the sink for some tissues she tried to remember the last time he’d told her he loved her but she honestly couldn’t recall. He never said it; he never even slept in the same bed as her anymore. It was like they were two strangers living in the same house who would pass each other for only moments at a time. It was always Tony that left first; as soon as she entered a room he would leave. At times she’d thought about leaving him but as soon as the idea had entered her head it left just as quickly. She could never do it, not just because she was still in love with him but also because he was her last link to her beautiful little boy, her perfect angel. And that was the one thing she couldn’t bear to lose; it was all that was keeping her going.

He hadn’t come home until three o clock that morning. It wasn’t like she’d purposely stayed up to check on him, she never slept anymore anyway. At least he had the respect not to get into bed with her after; that was one thing she was grateful for. But it broke her heart the mess she’d made of yet another marriage and the most devastating thing was that it made her feel like she’d let Harry down. A tear trickled down her cheek painting wet paths of pain which she quickly wiped away; once she started she knew she’d never stop and she dreaded how Tony would react if he came home and found her crying again. A knock at the door startled her and she looked up to see her best friend smiling at her, a smile which turned to pity when she saw the redness around Rachel’s eyes.

“Hey sweetie” Leah greeted and threw her arms around her friend, trying desperately not to cry herself. She still couldn’t believe that they hadn’t found Harry and it broke her heart to see her best friend going through so much pain on a daily basis. The most painful thing being that there was nothing she could say, no words that could comfort her or reassure

her that her little boy was safe.

“Come in” Rachel muttered, clearing her voice as it cracked. “I was just about to make tea” she commented brightly, attempting to show Leah that she was okay.

“Where’s Tony?” Leah asked, glancing around the room. Her eyes caught onto the small bear that was sitting on the bookshelf, taunting her as it always did when she visited. It hadn’t been moved since the day Harry had gone.

“Work maybe? I dunno” Rachel shrugged gloomily, pouring the hot liquid into the cup. The temptation to ‘accidentally’ spill it over her skin powered its way through her and she took in a deep breath, desperate to get rid of it. It had been happening a lot lately. She didn’t know why. “He went out again last night” she mumbled, causing Leah to close her eyes

in sympathy.

“Rach, you need to talk to him about this” Leah persuaded despite knowing it would be no use.

“It won’t change anything” Rachel declared, stirring her spoon absentmindedly in her cup. “I need him around” she continued, looking desperately into her best friends eyes. “For Harry.”

Leah nodded. She didn’t agree with it but she understood. “Talking of Harry, I got him a present” Leah smiled, hoping it would be taken with the intention she had given it with.

Tears sprung to Rachel’s eyes as she received the gift and turned it around in her hands, touched by her friends’ gesture.

“It can be waiting for him when you get him back” she smiled optimistically, squeezing Rachel’s hand as she saw the pain flicker across her eyes. “Open it.”

Rachel tore gently at the paper and couldn’t help but think about how it should be her son’s excited chubby little fingers tearing excitedly at the wrapping. Her eyes widened and a smile crept across her face as she removed the paper and placed it carefully to the side.

“I figured he’d probably follow in his Mummy’s footsteps and would want to get a head start” Leah explained of the children’s doctor’s set consisting of a plastic thermometer, bandages, toy syringes and a colourful stethoscope. “Maybe when you find him he’ll be the right age for it.”

“It’s perfect” Rachel smiled, her eyes glistening with tears. “He would have…he will, he’ll love it” she corrected, desperate to remain positive. Thoughts of Harry giggling and playing excitedly with it filled her mind; she so desperately wanted to teach him how to use the equipment and longed to see the amazement in his eyes when he heard a heartbeat through the stethoscope. The problem with these daydreams though was that his face was always blurry. He would be crawling, walking, smiling and even starting to talk. Yet she couldn’t see his face, she didn’t know what he would look like. All she had was the image of him still as a four week old baby.

“Thank you so much” Rachel cried, hugging her friend tightly; “thank you for not forgetting him.”

“That’s never going to happen” Leah promised, “do you think Tony will like it?”

The phone rung just as Rachel stumbled to reply, something she was grateful of. She didn’t have the heart to tell Leah that she would have had to hide it from her husband, for fear of him reacting the same way he did every time she so much as mentioned their son.

“Hello” she sighed tiredly, rubbing her temples in view of her impending headache. Her heart stopped in her chest.

“Charlie…” her voice shook and a feeling of nausea reached her throat. “Of course” she muttered quickly before dropping the house phone and reaching for her mobile to call Tony.

“Rach what’s going on” Leah shrieked, disturbed by her friend’s sudden change in mood.

“Charlie’s called me to the station, she said she needs to talk to Tony and I” Rachel shakily muttered whilst running her hand through her hair. “It’s about Harry, I know it is” she choked, praying that after eleven months, they’d finally found her baby.

“You’re doing what” Rachel gasped, her breath catching in her throat as she felt herself struggling to breathe. She knew that people sitting in the station were starting to stare but she didn’t care, she was furious. Devastated. She thought they’d found him.

“Rachel, I know this is difficult…” Charlie began sympathetically.

“You know do you?” Rachel seethed, feeling hot, angry tears burning her cheeks as they spilled from her eyes. “You know what it feels like to have a child ripped away from you with no idea where they are or if they’re okay. He could be hurt Charlie” she sobbed, choking on her words “and you’re not going to do anything to help him. He’s just a baby. You’re letting these people get away with this…”

“We have no leads” Charlie softly explained, trying to calm Rachel down. “We haven’t had any new information on him for over eight months.”

“That doesn’t mean that we won’t” Rachel almost shrieked.

“And I promise you if anything new is given to us we will reopen the investigation immediately” Charlie swore. She hated that she had to do this to Tony and Rachel; she blamed herself that they hadn’t found Harry yet. But it was the policy of the force to close any investigations once a certain time period had passed without any evidence and she’d already begged her superintendent to extend that period by an extra month in hopes that they would find him. But there were no leads, no witnesses, no DNA; nothing. She hated to admit it but the chances of them finding Harry were pretty much zero.

“So in the meantime you’re not going to do anything? You won’t question anyone else? It’s a small town; somebody has to know where he is” Rachel pleaded, desperate to cling onto hope. “Please Charlie, please don’t do this” she cried, her body shaking. Charlie opened her mouth to speak but she couldn’t find the words, she felt so utterly helpless.

“I’m so sorry” she breathed, blinking away tears of her own. As she struggled to find the words to say she saw Tony running through the door towards them and her heart sunk. She’d already seen the grief he went through when Jack had died and whilst she felt awful for Rachel, she felt even worse for him. Nobody deserved to lose a child, let alone two.

“Tony please talk some sense into them” Rachel cried, relief flooding through her body as she saw her husband appear. Despite how much he hated her right now she knew that he wouldn’t let them get away with this. That was something they at least had in common.

“What’s going on” he asked; the fear and expectation evident in his eyes.

“I’m really sorry Tony but due to a lack of recent leads…” Charlie began, dreading his reaction.

“They’re closing the investigation” Rachel interrupted, her hands shaking as she ran them through her hair in exasperation. “They’re not looking for Harry anymore, they think there’s no point; he’s not worth wasting their money on apparently…”

“Rachel that is not why we’re closing the case” Charlie gasped, horrified that Rachel could think that of her.

“Then why are you” she screamed, rubbing her head as pressure built up and she felt her temples throbbing.

“Rachel it’s not Charlie’s fault” Tony interrupted, taking a deep breath. “Maybe they’re right” he hesitated, avoiding Rachel’s eye gaze. “Maybe it’s time that we accepted they’re not going to find Harry.”

Rachel froze. “What” she choked. “You did not just say that…” She shook her head and stared at him, completely disgusted by his total lack of support.

“It’s nearly been a year Rachel…” Tony sighed, complete confidence in his voice.

“And he is your son” she spat out, her eyes wide in horror. “How can you just give up on him like that?”

“I’m not giving up on him” Tony shouted, the veins in his neck bulging. “And don’t you dare accuse me of doing that. You have no idea. But if they haven’t already found him by now then they’ll…”

“No” Rachel shrieked, pointing her finger shakily at him. “Don’t you dare finish that sentence, don’t you dare.” She couldn’t believe what was happening, it made her feel sick. She felt something towards Tony that she’d never felt before; hate. She hated him. She hated that he wasn’t supporting her, she hated that he could give up so easily on his son. But most of all her heart broke for their little boy, what would he think if he knew his Daddy wasn’t going to look for him anymore?

“It’s the right thing to do” he whispered.

“I hate you” she spat. The words slipped out of her mouth before she could stop them. She couldn’t help it, she felt so much anger. Her shoulders rose with each breath she took as she tried to shake the rage encaged inside her. He turned his back to her. “You’re all so….heartless” Rachel sobbed, looking around the room at the officers who were denying her the right to look for her child. “And I pray to God that you never have to go through this.” She couldn’t even bear to look at Tony anymore, he wasn’t the person she fell in love with. Feeling bile rise in her throat she ran out of the station, vowing never to stop looking for Harry. “Mummy won’t let you down sweetheart” she whispered into the air, praying that he would know.

Tony tapped on the steering wheel, peering out of the car window at her house, waiting for her to come home. It had gone too far now, he knew it. After his confrontation with Rachel he realised that it was time to do something; to stop this. The look in her eyes completely shattered his heart and all he could hear echoing in his head was her telling him that she hated him. It was something he never wanted to hear again. He’d tried going home to explain everything to her but when he looked in through the window blinds and saw her sobbing hysterically on the floor of their living room something inside of him snapped. Seeing her so totally consumed by grief destroyed him and he wanted nothing more than to run inside and throw his arms around her, to comfort her and promise that things would be okay. But he couldn’t. Not yet anyway.

A car pulling onto the driveway made his eyes alert as he snapped out of his daydream. He could feel his heart racing in his chest at anticipation of what he was about to do but he knew he couldn’t back out now, he’d come too far. He watched as she pulled the handbrake up and walked around to the back seats, leaving the door open as she leant across the car seat and pulled out three bags of shopping. Tony carefully and quietly stepped out of his car and placed himself out of sight behind the bonnet as he watched her dig around in her handbag for her keys before stepping into the house as she did every single week. Seeing his chance, his body shaking with fear and adrenaline Tony ran forward towards her car and unstrapped the belt of the small child’s car seat. He hesitated as he looked at the little boy, his eyes becoming cloudy with intense emotion but he quickly brushed the tears away and focused on what he was doing. Pulling the toddler towards him and holding him close he ran towards his own car and placed him quickly but carefully in the car seat they’d bought for Harry not long before he was born. He didn’t fit perfectly but it would have to do. He stared down at the child’s perfect features, it was his son, he was sure of it. An angelic smile appeared on the little boy’s face which made Tony’s heart feel like it was going to implode with happiness.

“You know I’m your Daddy don’t you buddy” he whispered, stroking a stray piece of hair from his son’s eyes and tickling his tummy. A haunting scream suddenly pierced through the air and Tony shot his head up in the direction of the noise to find the woman chasing frantically towards his car as she noticed her baby was gone. Tony slammed the door to his car and pressed his foot hard on the accelerator as the wheels skidded and he raced down the road. His palms were sweating as he looked in his rear view mirror and saw the woman pick up her pace before falling to the floor in defeat.

He desperately tried to keep his eyes on the road but he couldn’t help staring at his perfect child beside him, he had Rachel’s eyelashes. He couldn’t wait to tell her, to hand their son back to her and watch her broken smile become complete again. He knew it would be worth it, the months of arguing and distance between them both had been torture. Seeing a field in the close proximity and satisfied that the road was clear he pulled over and eagerly reached out to his son, lifting him onto his lap. Holding him again was a feeling he’d waited so long to experience and he studied his face taking in every dimple, every hair; every freckle. He couldn’t believe how much his son had changed in ten months, he was almost unrecognizable. He even had a red birthmark behind his right ear that hadn’t been there when he was a baby.

Tony’s heart sunk with an indescribable force. Harry didn’t have a birthmark. This wasn’t his son.

“What have I done” he muttered as the reality of the situation hit him. He desperately wanted to hold onto the idea that this little boy was his child, his baby son who’d been so cruelly snatched away from him. But no matter how much he tried to convince himself, he could see that he wasn’t. Harry had beautiful dark hair, this child was blonde, something

Tony hadn’t even noticed originally. Harry also had a sweet dimple on his chin and a tiny endearing curl to his ear which was something that had been passed through Tony’s family. Both were missing. With a loss of hope, he placed the child back in the seat and drove him silently back to his mother’s house. He barely saw the flashing lights of the police cars as he pulled into the road and numbly handed the child back to his grief stricken mother. They placed handcuffs on his wrists and he didn’t even flinch. He realised Harry truly was gone.

“Why did you do it?” Rachel whispered as she placed a comforting hand on her husband’s back. She’d received the call an hour ago to say that Tony had been arrested for kidnapping and raced up to the station, convinced there’d been a mistake. They’d led her to the questioning room; a dark space with just a table and chair situated in the middle of the room which was where she found him. He looked completely broken, his head was resting on both of his hands and his eyes were bloodshot.

“I thought it was him, I really did” Tony choked, breathing deeply as he tried desperately not to cry. “He’s really gone isn’t he” he added, his eyes closed in defeat. Rachel rested her chin on his arm and squeezed his hand tightly, there was nothing she could say. “When David at work told me that a guy down his road had come back from a meeting abroad to find that his wife had had their baby…I thought it had to be Harry. That maybe she’d never really been pregnant and…geez it sounds so crazy now but it made sense at the time. He had the same blanket and the birthdates were the same.”

“Why didn’t you tell the police” Rachel interrupted, pleased that he was finally opening up to her.

“Because ever since they let Angelo get away with my boy’s murder I don’t trust them. I thought that if I told them they’d mess it up and I didn’t want to take that risk…that’s why I was glad when Charlie said they were closing the case. You know I used to go there very week and watch that woman leave him in the car while she took the shopping in so I knew I could get him back…”

“Wait, you’ve been going there every week?” Rachel questioned, her mind whirring as it suddenly dawned on her.

“Yeah” Tony nodded, his cheeks reddening with embarrassment. “Where did you think I was going?”

“I thought that maybe…” she began, “Tony I’m so sorry, it’s just you seemed so happy when you left to go there and…”

“You thought I was cheating on you” Tony gasped, sitting upright in the chair as he looked his wife in the eyes for the first time in nearly a year.

“You never told me you loved me anymore, you used to flinch every time I touched you. I thought you hated me” Rachel cried, shame filling her body.

“I don’t hate you” Tony abruptly interrupted, placing his hand on hers. “I needed to put distance between us because I’ve lost so many people. And I was afraid of staying close to you incase I lost you to.”

“I’m so sorry” Rachel gushed, wrapping her arms around her husband as she savoured the feeling of being close to him again. She’d spent so many months worrying about something that wasn’t even true and she couldn’t help but think how differently things could have been. She hated herself for feeling so resentful towards Tony when all along he’d been trying to bring their little boy home, just in a different way to her.

“I do love you” he whispered into her neck, words that made Rachel smile through her tears. She’d waited so long to hear him say it. Yet her smile wasn’t complete and it never would be. Not without Harry.

Rachel breathed in the cool fresh night air, it was so peaceful outside and yet her heart told a different story. Tony had had the charges against him dropped, when the couple heard the truth they’d realised he’d suffered enough. She looked at her watch and her heart sank. She didn’t want Harry’s birthday to end; it was the one day she was allowed to think about him without people telling her that she needed to move on or giving her strange looks because they were worried about how she was coping. Tugging the blanket which was wrapped around her legs closer to her she tried to wonder what Harry was doing now, would he even know that he was one year old today? Footsteps shuffled behind her and she turned to find Tony standing beside her, a small cupcake in his hand with a single lit candle.

“It’s for Harry” he smiled sadly, “you’re right, we should still celebrate.” Rachel could barely speak and so instead watched as he placed it on the table in front of them and then held his hand as he sat closely next to her, wrapping his arm around her shoulders.

“I want him home” Rachel began to sob as she watched the flame flicker with the breeze. It was fragile and new, just like their son’s life. “He will come back to us one day wont he” she begged, clutching his shirt tightly in her fist.

“Yeah he will” Tony muttered, his eyes glazed with tears. “He’s somewhere out there with a family who couldn’t have children and they loved him so much when they saw him that they wanted him to be their son. So they’re looking after him for a little while and giving him the best life that they possibly can. He’s going to have a really happy childhood and when he’s older they’ll tell him about me and you and he’ll come looking for us and we’ll all be together again.”

“Do you really believe that” Rachel questioned, resting her head on his chest as she wiped away a tear.

“I have to. We both do” Tony declared, focusing on the flame of the candle. Losing Harry was something he’d never get over, he’d just have to learn to live with the pain; like he did with Jack. But the difference with Harry was that there was still hope they could bring him home again and as long as he and Rachel lived, they wouldn’t stop looking for their little peanut. One day.

Voting closes Friday the 25th, middnight GMT. :)

Come on everyone, only 2 days left to vote!! I'm a little disappointed and frustarted that this thread has had around 70 views but no one has bothered to vote. The two authors put a lot of effort and time into writing the stories and it's a shame that seems to be getting ignored.

Sadly i have noticed a real lack of interest in the fan fic contest in the last months or so. I remember times when each competition was getting 7/8 entries. Now there only seeems to be 2/3 per competition. Maybe it's time to stop it for a while or try to figure out ways to get more people interested.

Archived