Quick Fanfiction Contest Archive

Guest ish_the_angel

Entry One:Confession Time

There was a nice sense of mystery around the identity of the narrator:At one point I thought it was Charlie, I even wondered if it would turn out to be a man until someone called her “she” and it wasn’t until the chat with Miles that I realised it was Roo.The only problem was that seemed to be the whole story, Roo’s dating Elijah, which left it feeling a bit disposable.But the central mystery was handled very well.

Entry Two:Stone the Flaming Crows

This one, I think, had an inspired choice for its pairing:Alf and Dexter.The banter between them was great and perfectly in character, despite their not really having interacted on the show, so full marks for that.And the device to bring them together, a Robot Wars competition, was surprising but enjoyable.I did find some of the attitudes a bit odd:It seemed like Heath won fair and square and his only crime was being a jerk, so his comeuppance didn’t really seem apt.But putting that aside, I found the tone and characterisation very enjoyable.

Entry Three:The Line

This one featured a good portrayal of Charlie and Watson, giving a nice insight into Charlie’s thoughts and developing the characters and the relationship between them in a believable manner.I did find it to be rather straightforward;maybe it’s because of the subject of the contest but I realised pretty much straight away they were going to get together.But as a nice, straightforward relationship story it worked well.

Entry Four:If You Text It I’ll Delete It

This one had me smiling all the way through, Dexter’s thoughts and his banter with Xavier and the other characters, all his quirky views on the world, were spot on and hugely enjoyable reading.The plot kind of passed me by, largely being situations from the show slightly tweaked.But it succeeded on the excellent characterisation and writing.

All strong entries but I’m voting for Entry Four.

• Replies 263
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Thought I had already voted but came on here and found I hadnt so here goes...

#1 - Really nice story, love the pairing of Roo and Elijah and the fact that you didnt name Roo until the end so it was left to the reader to piece together who it was.

#2 - Amazing story...not only is the friendship between Alf and Dex highly amusing, the robot wars contest was brilliantly written :)

#3 - Again loving the pairing, although I felt that it was a bit too obvious that a relationship was going to develop between the two, however the story was well written.

#4 - I really enjoyed this story and the idea of turning into a mission/plan with phases is definitely something I could imagine Dex doing

I loved reading all the entries and my vote goes to...Entry #2 purely because I felt it was one pairing that the show would probably never touch on and yet I can imagine the interaction between the Alf and Dex.

FanFic Contest #24

I want to say a big thank you to all who entered this contest, all the entries were fantastic and to everyone who voted, I am sure that the writers appreciated it :) I am proud to announce that the winner of this contest is pembie

Over to you now to host the next contest! I look forward to seeing it

• 1 month later...

quick Fan Fic contest 25 voting

Summer Bay Mystery

Thank you to the amazing writers for their fantastic entries

Entry 1

Face Down

The rising sun marked the start of another beautiful in the small town Summer Bay. A beautiful day which didn’t last long for a group of early morning joggers who came across a horrific sight on the beach. A woman’s body lying face down in the sand, blood flowing from her body. There was no doubt in the jogger’s minds; they had found a corpse – she was definitely dead.

2 hours later there was police tape surrounding the murder site. This didn’t stop curious citizens of Summer Bay from crowding round the site. Watson was trying her best to keep the public away, while Charlie Buckton took the joggers’ statements. Then she made her way across to the body that was still lying on the beach, but with a plastic sheet over it, as not to cause distress to the public. Charlie wished that the body wasn’t in such a central place, but they couldn’t move the body without disrupting the evidence. All Charlie knew about the woman was that she was small and was about 30. So it came as a shock, when she lifted up the corner of the plastic that was covering the woman’s face. Charlie dropped the edge of the sheet and ran towards a bush which she proceeded to throw up into. Watson walked up and took a look at the body herself, she blanched and quickly dropped the edge of the sheet.

“Charlie, I’m so sorry” she told her friend quietly. Charlie just nodded weakly, she couldn’t speak. “You know I have to take you off the case don’t you?” Watson asked. Charlie looked up angrily.

“You can’t take me off the case” Charlie pleaded.

Watson felt sorry for Charlie, but it was her job as a police officer to handle things correctly. “Charlie you know that if I keep you on the case there is a conflict of interest” Watson reminded her. Charlie looked down – she knew that Watson was right. Still, it didn’t exactly make her feel any better about the situation. “I’ve already called the homicide division, and guess who they’re sending” Watson added.

“Who?” Charlie asked warily, she had a good idea who Watson might be referring to, and if she was right then she was not happy about it.

“Robertson”.

-------------------------------------

Charlie stood in her office, she staring at the phone contemplating the situation. One of her best friends was dead, and she wasn’t allowed to stay on the case. Charlie snorted. Yeah right. There was no way that Charlie was going to stop investigating, if she wasn’t allowed to do it officially, she’d just have to keep to herself what she was doing. Charlie thought back to half an hour ago, when Watson and herself had to tell the woman’s family. Charlie hadn’t been able to watch, she couldn’t make her self look at the devastated faces of the woman’s family when they found out the truth. All of this only strengthened Charlie’s resolve to not sit there and do nothing. She began to make a list of all the suspects. Nobody immediately sprang to mind, but then it was like a light had turned on inside Charlie’s head. She picked up her pen and wrote down a name. She walked over to Watson’s desk and placed the note there. Technically Charlie wasn’t breaking the rules and she knew that Watson wouldn’t turn her in. Besides now that Charlie thought about it, he was a pretty obvious suspect, and Watson could have easily come up with the idea by herself.

---------------------------------

Watson walked into the office she shared with Charlie. She sat down at her desk and sighed – Robertson had arrived already and had already made a comment about the people of Summer Bay really liking to kill each other and thus dragging him into town. The guy really got on Watson’s nerve. She didn’t immediately notice Charlie’s note – she was too wrapped up in fantasies where she was able to boss Robertson around and get away with it. Eventually though she spotted a post-it note stuck on the top of the murder file. She recognised Charlie’s handwriting and deduced that it was about the case. Watson was about to throw it away, before she read the name on it. After reading it she knew that Charlie was onto something. She called up Robertson (grimacing as she did so) and told him "her" suspicions. From what she could tell, Robertson did not seem to guess that it was not her theory.

Watson searched the suspects name on the database. As she looked through the man's credit movements, she wasn't at all surprised to see that he had recently withdrawn large amounts of money and had booked a first-class trip to the airport near Summer Bay. Watson smirked, the man obviously wasn't expecting that someone would suspect him, and had been careless and left easy evidence to find. As she looked further she found a hotel booking. She jotted down the address. She picked up the phone and called head office.

-------------------------------------

Within 3 days she managed to get a search warrant fast-tracked through. Watson looked up at the hotel in front of her, yes she was in the right place. She confidently walked into the lobby. She saw people looking and whispering as they saw police enter the hotel; all wondering what had brought the police there. She carried on walking until she reached the front desk, where a very nervous looking receptionist sat.

Watson showed the receptionist her badge. "I'm Senior Constable Watson. I need to ask you a few questions regarding one of your patrons. Namely this one" Watson told the woman as she passed her the note with the name on it. The receptionist looked at it briefly, before searching the name on the computer in front of her.

"Yes, he's staying in room 201, but he's not in at the minute, can I ask him to contact you when he gets back?" the receptionist asked politely, wondering what the man had done to get police involved.

Watson smirked. "No need, I have a search warrant, so if you could please show me to the room" she said as she showed the woman her warrant. The woman nodded and signalled over another member of staff.

"Can you please show the Senior Constable to room 201?" she asked the young man who now stood in front of her. The man nodded and lead Watson down a corridor. Using a swipe card the man unlocked a door with the number 201 on it. The man stood there, oblivious of Watson pointedly staring at him. After a few moments he got the message however, and hastily walked off back down the corridor. Watson shook her head and entered the room. Watson took a look around her. At a first glance it appeared the same as your average hotel room, but Watson knew that looks can be deceiving. After half an hour of looking however, Watson was ready to give up. Still convinced that the guy was dirty, she started to walk towards the door. Not watching where her feet were going, Watson bumped into the bed and tripped over.

She was so busy swearing at the bed that she didn't initially notice the case that was now sticking out, as the bed had moved the side slightly. When she did see it, Watson hardly dared to dream that by chance she had managed to discover a clue which she had spent the last half an hour looking for. With trembling fingers, Watson undid the clasp (she couldn't actually believe that the guy was idiot enough to not even put a lock on it) and gasped at what she saw inside. It looked like a tool kit of an assassin, and come to think of it - it was. To Watson's disgust she also found a lock of blonde hair as well. Not needing any further evidence, she closed the case and walked out of the room.

Once she was back down in the lobby, she walked over to the receptionist she had dealt with earlier. The woman looked at the case that Watson was holding curiously. "Did you find everything you were looking for?" she asked Watson.

Watson ignored her comment. "When the man returns, could you please phone me and make sure he doesn't know I was here, ok?" she asked the woman, who nodded, still looking curious.

-------------------------------

2 hours later Watson, Robertson and several other police officers arrived back at the hotel after a phone call from the receptionist had come through, telling them that the man had returned. Watson led the way to the room and knocked on the door. The door opened to reveal an Italian man standing behind it. Shock was clearly written all over his face.

"Vittorio Seca, you are under arrest for the murder of Bianca Scott. You do not have to say or do anything if you do not wish, but anything you do say or do may be used as evidence against you at a later date. Any questions?" Robertson asked brightly. Vittorio shook his head, already resigned to what was going to happen.

"Basically" Watson told Vittorio as she handcuffed him, "You're going down!"

THE END

Entry 2

Whispers In The Shadows

I can’t sleep, it has been approximately 210 hours, 35 minutes, 5 seconds & counting since I last got a good night sleep or even any ounce of sleep. All I can see when I close my eyes is a black and dark abyss. It’s creepy but I can’t seem to escape this nightmare, only it is not really a nightmare because I am wide awake, Angelo thought to himself.

He chuckled to himself as he got out of bed yet again; it seems to be the same cycle over and over. I can’t seem to get out of this cycle, he thought again.

‘I must be going insane’ he muttered as he pulled on a pair of trackies and his gym shirt. If he couldn’t sleep, then he might as well try and wear himself out.

He got his gym bag and made his way to the door but then the thunder started.

Angelo groaned. There was no way that he would be able to get to the gym and even if he did get there, it would probably be shut. He looked at the rain and the bolt of lightning that had just hit. He looked back at the hallway where he had just emerged from.

He got himself back into bed, he knew he wouldn’t be able to sleep but he had no idea what else to do.

He had tried on several occasions to watch a movie, using the net and he officially had no idea what to try next.

He closed his eyes, he tried to force his brain into sleeping and strangely he heard a beeping.

‘Well… the guilt got to you then’

Angelo frowned and murmured ‘what the hell?’

He was sure he'd heard a voice but couldn’t place it. Sitting up, he looked around. The window was jammed shut and the only sound was the trees crackling against the winds. Maybe the sleep was getting to him? The more he pondered, the more he thought he hadn't heard anything; he was just confused by the lack of sleep.

‘You are guilty, you know you are…’

Angelo jumped as soon as he heard it, ‘What the f*ck?!’

‘You know what you did, Angelo’

‘Who are you?’ Angelo was finally convinced that he wasn’t hearing things. It had to be something.

‘I am in your conscience’ the voice replied, it was masked in some way; he could tell it was a male voice but he couldn’t place the identity to the voice.

He froze for a few seconds and then he stopped thinking so much about the winds and the atmosphere, instead he focused on a crack in the wall just above the doorframe, it was tiny but he focused all his energy onto it.

Moments later, he could feel his energy slipping away and for the first time since 212 hours ago, he actually slept for the night as peacefully as his lumpy bed would allow him to.

He woke up in a cold sweat, his skin felt clammy and he had absolutely no idea why he was shaking uncontrollably.

‘Get out of Summer Bay’ and this time Angelo knew who it was.

‘Jack?’

‘Get out’

‘I..is..is. th…a…a…at.. you?’ he muttered to himself stumbling over every word.

‘Get out of the Bay or you will regret it’ the voice returned going up in sound on every word. Angelo gritted his teeth in frustation

‘Or what?’ he could hardly believe he was actually talking to a voice in his head.

‘Well, you are sweet on Nicole…’

Angelo clenched his fists and responded ‘You are in my head, you cannot do anything’

‘You willing to take that risk’ he responded callously.

‘What do you want?’ he said giving in to the fact that the threat was real.

‘Get out of summer bay’

Angelo sat up. He was in two minds about whether or not to do it but in the end he decided to do it. He needed to get out of the bay anyways, he had nothing going for him, not anymore anyways.

It didn’t take him long to get his things gathered together and packed. It wouldn’t be hard to transfer the tenancy into Roo’s name.

He contemplated telling Nicole about what he was doing but he didn’t want to place her in danger so he just got into his car. He drove along the street till he saw the sign.

You are leaving Summer Bay.

His eyes welled up slightly, he had been through a lot in the bay but now that he was leaving, he was emotional, he didn’t want to leave but he couldn’t see how he could stay, not anymore.

Little did he know, that only a short distance from him, hidden by the sign, stood Heath and Brax.

‘So he fell for it?’

‘Obviously’ Brax said giving Heath a ‘duh’ look.

‘I can’t believe he actually fell for it’ Heath grinned and despite it all, Brax couldn’t help but smile back at him.

‘I know, it was ingenious of me to plant a speaker in the lamp and make him think that he was going insane.’

Heath chuckled. ‘Well. Job done’

‘Indeed’

'And who knew the cop was actually a cop killer'

Brax chuckled as he and Heath watched Angelo drive away before turning around and making their way to the restaurant where they would no doubt raise a bottle of beer in celebration for their sucess...

Voting closing 22nd July

Wow I love both of them :)

Entry #1 - I had no idea who had been murdered...I had got it down to a choice between Leah and Bianca but couldn't decide which one it was. This story was really well written.

Entry #2 - I loved this story!!! Angelo thinking he was going insane due to the absurd ideas of the river boys...such a brilliant idea.

So for the fact that the last few lines had me laughing my vote goes to Entry #2.

Archived