Quick Fanfiction Contest Archive

Guest ish_the_angel

Entry One- A Matter Of Convenience

I thought this entry was very well written and I enjoyed the way they kept who Dex was marrying a surprise. The characters were described very well and I could picture what was happening clearly in my head. The talk at the beginning was good but I was starting to suspect it was April when it suggests they had been in some sort of relationship before. I loved the talk Dex had with his family, and again, it seemed very realistic. I could imagine the characters saying what the author made them say. When the April and Dallas scene came up, I had a feeling it might be Dallas (which I wasn't very happy about) so it was a good ending when it did turn out to be April after all. A few of the sentences, I had to go over and read again because (like Zetti said) they didn't really stick in my head, but apart from that, it was great.

Entry two- Love And Marriage

I loved the beginning of this entry with Charlie getting ready for her wedding. The talks between Charlie and Ruby were really nice. I suspected it was Brax who she was marrying at the beginning because I couldn't really think of anyone else unless the author decided to bring Angelo back into it. When Charlie fainted, I assumed it was because of pregnancy after the previous mention of the scar and wanting to give Ruby a sibling so I was a bit confused when the author didn't give the reason behind it. The rest of the 'getting ready' scene was really well written and I was getting really excited when it moved on to the actual wedding. When it said it was Bianca who was walking down the aisle in a wedding dress, I have to admit, I was a bit confused and disappointed but I have to give it points for being different. Anyway overall, I really enjoyed reading it.

Both of these entries were really good and I loved reading them both but I have to go with entry one for the reasons I've already mentioned.

Congratulations to both authors though, you both did a fantastic job writing these entries. xx

• 2 weeks later...
  • Replies 263
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • 1 month later...

Contest 29 - Its time for a home and away favorite/ favorites to leave the bay.

Why are they leaving? Is it simply time for them to move on? Or is their departure a convenient way of escaping from an unforgivable act that they may have committed?

Entry 1 - School Project

“Gee thanks Dex for agreeing to help me with my school project.”

“Don’t mention it VJ” Dex says as he ruffles the young boy’s hair.

“But do you seriously think all of this trouble we are going to is worth it?” VJ says as he watches Dex come close to whacking himself in the face with a tent pole.

“Oh yes I would do anything for a young mind which is thirsty for knowledge such as yours VJ.” Dex says stumbling forwards with his collection of many tent poles.

“Gee thanks would you like a hand with the tent?”

Dex grimaces at the shrill twanging sound as he throws the tent poles to the ground causing a high pitch echo to sweep through the quiet forest.

“No you are alright VJ, let me delight you with one of the great wonders of the world, which is of course how to pitch a prefect tent. Dex says as he begins to expect each of the pole’s sizes.

“Hm as much fun as that sounds Dex I think I might give that a miss” VJ says removing his backpack which is jammed packed with loads of sugary treats.

“Oh no Mister I don’t think so”

“Oh come on its hungry work watching you expect your poles.”

“VJ would you kindly and slowly place the rucksack down on the ground and slowly take a few paces back?” Dex says as he measures what he thinks is the shortest tent pole with his measuring tape.

“But Dex” VJ says as he places his rucksack down.

“Now come on VJ we both agreed we would ration the candy treats. We just don’t know how long we will be out here for.”

“I know” VJ moans stomping over to Dex.

“Couldn’t we just of done this in my backyard or maybe the sand dunes?”

“VJ I doubt extra terrestrial life would even think about visiting your backyard. Plus doesn’t this feel more adventurous being out amongst nature?”

“I guess, maybe I should of just gone with my first idea?” VJ says sighing.

“Oh yes what was that? Would you mind standing by this pole while I unfold the tent?”

VJ stands obediently holding the pole as Dex excitedly unravels the tent.

“So what was your first idea?” Dex asks as he chucks the tent over the awaiting poles which he had leaned against a couple of trees.

VJ now standing in the covering of the tent shouts out to the shadowy figure of Dex. “MY FIRST IDEA WAS TO SEE WHAT WOULD HAPPEN IF I HID ALL THE FOOD AWAY FROM MILES, SEE HOW LONG UNTILL HE HAD A PANIC ATTACK OR SOMETHING.”

Dex pops his head through the zip of the tent.

“Hmm that would have been very fascinating but less cool you heard what the radio said.”

“Well no not really I was too busy scoffing my chocolate sundae to notice, you’re the one who said you had heard something totally astounding and you said it would work for my school project.”

“That is right the radio said that there has been reports of weird and strange lights in the sky over the last couple of nights. Er do you have the hammer? So I can knock these pegs in the ground” Dex says looking very excited.

“In the rucksack do you think these reports are true through?”

Dex having found the hammer stops hammering as he hears VJ’s insane question of course he thought the reports were true who wouldn’t? Because to Dex it would be a very boring world if there was no alien life out there somewhere and here was their chance to come in contract with a living Martian.

“Of course I think it’s true it be a boring world if we were the only ones in the universe. You can leave that pole now as I have half the tent up now, go get the alien welcome music.

VJ searches his rucksack for Dex’s CD of sci-fi TV themes licking his lips as his eyes scan over the delicious chocolates and treats. VJ finally pulls the CD out which is buried amongst a mountain of Mars bars.

“Ah there all done abit crooked but hey ho a masterpiece never the less don’t you think VJ?”

VJ gazes over at Dex’s somewhat attempt of a prefect looking tent.

“Er guess so, good job.”

“Why thank you” Dex says proudly.

“Yeah anyway what music do you want to try and attract the aliens Dex? We have The X Files theme tune or Star Wars.”

“Ah let’s go with The X Files.” Dex says has he begins to scope out the area with his video camera.

“So here we are on the verge of a great discovery, which has baffled mankind since the dawn of time. Do aliens exist or is it just one big hoax? We hope to have the answers for you tonight, ah here is my assistant young VJ Patterson what do you hope this great and mind bogging discovery brings you?”

“Er good grades.”

“Oh yes not only does the mankind’s ultimate question rest on tonight but so does young VJ’s school career.”

“Er yeah anyway you fancy going home for abit and playing some XBox now Dex? I mean we wont see anything until tonight anyway so….”

“We can’t go home young VJ, we must stay and keep watch. We must keep a log of everything which happens.” Dex says pulling a notepad from his shorts pocket.

“Are you serious what about Mum and Miles?”

“Well they already know I’m helping you with your project so just tell them you are going to stay over at mine, anyhow if this claim the radio said turns out to be true I don’t think Leah and Miles will mind a little white lie.”

“Why’s that?”

“Because we will be famous” Dex says as he runs excitedly round their small campsite filming every leaf and brush he could.

VJ is somewhat taken back by Dex’s excitement he seems to actually believe that they would see little green men tonight, and what was he basing this theory on? Oh yes that’s right a claim from a local radio station which probably only say things like this to boost their ratings.

“Can I at least start on the candy now please?” VJ asks.

“Oh yes but don’t touch the jelly babies through they are mine.” Dex says.

As darkness falls and the sound of crickets and The X Files theme tune can be heard our two UFO gazers sit slurping their hot cups of hot chocolate, which Dex had brought along in two thermo flasks.

“You warm enough VJ? Your hot Chocolate good?” asks Dex.

“Yeah thanks just tiny abit bored.” VJ says.

“Ah do you need the toilet?”

“Er no why?”

“Just making a log.”

“Er ok”

“Do you feel sacred?”

“No”

“Have you seen any wild creatures bears, panthers?”

“Er no”

“Good let me just jolt that down, I will ask you the same questions in fifteen minutes.”

“Ok Dex”

Dex looks out at the night’s sky smiling when suddenly there are two little blinking red lights coming towards them.

“Er VJ what is that?”

“Probably a plane Dex calm down.”

Dex’s mouth slowly hangs open in shock as a loud humming sound approaches.

“VJ its no plane.”

As the mist of the night drifts aside a large sliver looking flying spacer hovers just in front of them. The humming slowly dies down as a door hatch attempts to open on the spaceship. From behind the door hatch two squeaky sounding voices can be heard.

“I think the doors jammed again.”

“Oh ask these humans if they have any Double U Forty then.”

“Yes dear”

The door hatch suddenly opens.

Dex and VJ can only stare open mouthed at the little green bald naked big eyed alien, as he taps his foot impatiently waiting for his electronic ramp to descend.

“I will be with you in a sec honestly this thing is a load of crap it was faster than this when we first had it installed.”

“Dex is he a alien?” VJ whispers.

“It would appear so and he seems to be using a ramp.”

Finally after what seemed to be a lifetime the small alien walks down his ramp towards Dex and VJ.

“I would say we come in peace and we won’t harm you but after the disaster of my grand entrance that seems to of made the dramatic effect a tad pointless now hasn’t it?”

I, I, I Dex stutters pointing his camera towards the alien.

“We have come to earth in search of a human who can fix our hyper drive plus a few others little problems on broad the spacecraft the alien explains.

Without thinking Dex just starts talking.

“Cool I could fix your hyper drive for you good God do they actually exist?”

“You are Dexter Walker ah yes our scans have shows you as an very brainy human, you always help the one called Xavier with his maths homework.”

“Yes that is right.”

“Ah good your just what we need, Dexter Walker?”

“Yes?”

“Get ready to be abducted.”

Dex turns to VJ.

“I’m about to get abducted by a actual alien how cool is that?”

“Er he will be coming back through wont he?” VJ asks the little alien.

“Coming back? Oh no that’s not possible Dexter Walker has just signed a contract.”

“Has he? Have you? VJ asks looking shocked.

“He has pinky sweared it”

“When?” VJ asks.

“It’s true I just wanted to touch him so we just made a pinky swear.”

“When?”

“You would not know anything about it young one as I played a mind trick on you.”

“No you didn’t”

“Oh really so how come you can’t take your eyes from my ships flashing lights?”

“Because they are like lasers and really cool.”

“Hmm anyway Dexter Walker’s contract binds him to become our ships engineer.”

“Cool how long for?” Dex asks excitedly.

“Oh for a three millenniums.”

“What?” Dex asks looking quite shocked.

“Oh don’t worry millenniums pass for us aliens like years do for you humans. Now come along I will enter my ship while you go and stand in that little crop field.”

“Cant I just walk on the spaceship with you?” Dex asks.

“Dexter Walker I thought you were a brainy human, you are about to get abducted lets do this properly.”

“Oh ok then”

VJ can’t quite believe how calmly Dex seems to be talking to this little Martian its like he is having a casual chat with someone about the weather or something as trivia.

“Dex what about you Dad and Indi, April and everyone else?” VJ asks.

“VJ my friend I have a opportunity here which just doesn’t come round everyday. I am going to become a engineer for a alien race abroad their spaceship.”

“But your Dad Dex?”

“Yeah sure he will be abit shocked to start with but he will come to see my potential is far to great for just this planet. The rest of the galaxy deserves abit of Dexter Walker.”

“What about April through?” VJ asks not quite believing how this night was turning out.

“Ah April, do you have Skype onboard your spaceship?” Dex asks turning to the alien.

“Dexter Walker we are a alien race I think we are advanced enough for things such as Skype, how do you think I have been talking to you in English all this time?”

Dex eyes widened.

“Language translators?”

“Got it in one clever human” the alien says smiling.

“Sorted then I will Skype April and even Indi sometimes I guess.”

The little alien points to the small crop flied for Dex to go and stand it while the alien goes to broad his spaceship, Once again having to wait for the slow electronic ramp to descended down to the ground. The humming sound of the spaceship starts up again as it hovers above Dex.

“VJ take the video camera Dex says shoving it into VJ’s hands.

VJ points the camera at Dex.

“VJ something tells me your going to get a pass for your school project.”

“Yeah I better get an A.”

“VJ listen to me I have something serious to ask you.”

“Yes Dex what’s that?” VJ asks as he video’s the sliver flying saucer.

“Make sure you upload the footage of my alien abduction to YouTube oh and my blog ok?”

“Er ok” VJ says.

“Well VJ I guess this is it.”

“I guess so” VJ says.

“There’s only one other thing to say.”

“Goodbye?”

“No VJ beam me up Scotty of course.”

A long blinding yellow beam shoots down to the ground and within seconds it has gone along with the flying saucer leaving no trace of Dex behind.

“Well VJ it is your turn” Gina says instructing VJ to stand before his class.

“I won’t go into much detail of what my school project was I will let his short movie do the talking for me” VJ says putting the DVD into the player. The classroom is then engulfed into dead silence as his and Dex’s alien encounter starts to play out on the TV screen. VJ looks across the classroom at Gina to see her mouth hanging open in utter shock.

“Well Miss Austin do I pass?” VJ asks sweetly.

Gina who is absolute speechless can only nod her head slowly.

“Thank you Miss Austin” VJ happily says.

“No prob……………”Gina doesn’t quite finish talking as she brings her hand to her forehead does a little sigh and faints dramatically to the floor.

“DEXTER WILL YOU HURRY UP PLEASE? I’M GOING TO BE LATE FOR MY WORK” Sid shouts as he rushes round grabbing his papers and bag. He glares over at Sasha as she relaxes on the sofa lost in one of those celebrity magazines, as for Indi she is far to busy snogging Romeo’s face off to notice her Dad stressing out.

“DEXTER DO YOU WANT A LIFT TO THE BUS STOP OR WHAT?”

Sid couldn’t quite work out why Dex was not answering as Dex had asked him only a day ago if he could drop him at the bus stop, where he would meet VJ and go off to some UFO workshop thing in the Yabbie creek something to do with research for VJ’s school project. There is a sudden knock at the door Sid runs to the door.

“VJ?”

“Er hi Dr Walker I think you should check this DVD out or even YouTube or Dex’s blog.”

“Er what?”

VJ runs past Sid to Dex’s laptop.

Sid, Indi, Romeo and Sasha watch as VJ brings Dex’s blog up on screen.

“What is this?” Sid asks peering at the uploaded video everybody watches as Dex is beamed up into the alien’s spaceship.

“What was that?” Sid asks.

“That was a video of your son’s alien abduction.”

Two loud thuds can be heard as Indi and Sasha faint.

“What does this mean?” Sid asks.

VJ looks up at Sid and says…..

“Your son is now living with Martians Dr Walker.”

Entry 2 - Is This Really Goodbye?

‘You okay?’ April heard and turned to the side where she saw Ruby sat down next to her opening up her textbook. She wasn’t aware that someone had just entered the room until she felt a sharp scratch against her arm where they had made contact with her upper arm.

‘Douche’ she said as she turned and faced him. She was taken aback for a few seconds; he had the most glittering blue eyes with a fleck of green in the corner. She had no idea why she was drawn straight to them but she had to admit it unsettled her.

‘Excuse me?’

‘You heard me’ she said as she regained her composure ‘Douche’

‘Because?’

‘You don’t barge past someone’ she replied as her temper rose and stood up facing him, forgetting all about his eyes for a few moments and glared at him with such intensity that he had the decency to flinch ‘and not apologise, its not decent or nice, or even acceptable!’ she screeched.

He stood his ground and put out his hand ‘my name is Jake’

She dismissed his hand and stared at her. ‘I am still waiting’

He looked more perplexed as the seconds ticked down ‘For?’

‘Are you serious?’

‘Mate’ Jake heard as he turned around to see a young guy speaking to him.

‘What?’ he asked as his annoyance levels began to rise, he had barely been in the bay for 10 minutes, and he was getting annoyed at the residents. He almost groaned aloud, it was not the best start to his stay in the bay.

‘I advise you not to get on her bad side’

He narrowed his eyes and then straightened his facial expressions before turning to her, and extracting his hand, he quickly surveyed her from head to toe slightly unnerving her before stepping back and moving away from her to sit at the table behind her.

She turned and looked at him. ‘Don’t think I am going to wait forever for an apology, I expect one’

‘You will have to wait forever, trust me. I do not apologise, I never have when I do not need to’ he bit back and then smiled sardonically at her as she glared at him again such ferocious intensity causing him to question whether or not getting involved with her is such a good idea.

His head was telling him to run away and to avoid this temptress at all costs but at the same time, there was something about her, something that got on his nerves.

He instantly decided that he had to know what it was. He resolved to find out more about her, maybe not directly, he didn’t think his nerves could cope with another one of her deadly glares.

‘April sit down!’ Gina said as she walked into the room and saw April stood up, facing away from.

‘Sorry miss’ she said not moving her eyes from his until she had to, she didn’t get why he couldn’t just apologise, he was in the wrong, he was clearly in the wrong!

Outside the classroom…

‘So who was that guy?’

April feigned ignorance and replied ‘Who?’

Ruby scoffed seeing straight through her charade. ‘You know who I am on about. Your new guy’

‘My new guy?’ she said with contempt dripping from every pore of her voice, she was so enraged at the mere thought of anyone thinking she had a new guy.

No I am perfectly content on my own, I do not need a man to make me happy. I can make myself happy by myself.

‘Anyways you want to come out with us?’ Ruby asked breaking through her thoughts and looking at her with a quizzical smile on her face..

‘No cant got to revise’

‘Again?’

‘Yes’

Ruby frowned, April seemed to be revising quite a lot, she wasn’t sure it was a good idea for her at all but she couldn’t do anything apart from tell Bianca which she resolved to do but she had no need to as someone else beat her to it.

‘Is April there?’ Bianca heard through the phone about 2 days later and she frowned, anyone who wanted to talk to April would have simply sent her a text or a phone call through her mobile, it was very rare that she got a phone call on the landline. Hence Bianca deduced that this person didn’t know April very well.

‘Can I ask who is asking?’

‘Its Jake from school’

‘Jake?’

‘Yes, so can I speak to April?’

‘I will ask her, she seems to be tied up though’

Jake sighed inwardly and asked ‘Revising?’

‘Yes’ Bianca answered not cottoning on to his fears that she was isolating herself from the world.

‘Will she talk to me?’

‘I can ask, hold on a second’

‘Sure’ came the reply

Bianca covered the mouthpiece with the palm of her hand and asked ‘Jake is on the phone’

April looked up sharply and frowned. ‘And?’

‘He wants to talk to you’ giving April a duh look, as in why else would I be telling you that someone is on the phone for you’

‘Revising’

Bianca returned her attention to the phone ‘Sorry’

‘Its okay, just ask her to phone me sometime’

‘Of course I will’

‘So can you please relax for a minute?’ Bianca asked April

She had just come back from the beach to see April studying yet again, it had become a habit that Bianca was wary of, she didn’t like the distance that April was placing between herself and her friends, and she didn’t think it was very healthy.

‘What for?’ she bit out as she tried to memorise the periodic table so she could effectively use the knowledge for her exam, which incidentally was to take place the very next day.

‘Don’t use that tone’ Bianca said as she stepped forward and snatched away the book that April was focusing on which earned a glare from April.

‘I need that back’ she bit out again as she tried to control her temper which just caused Bianca to frown, she was getting more and more concerned at how much time April was investing in her education. She was glad April was focusing but she was neglecting everyone else in her life.

‘Yes, you will get it back soon, but first you need to get yourself sorted and get out for a bit, you need a break’ Bianca pressed hoping that something would get through to April.

‘When my last exam is done’ she said as slowly as she could ‘I will have as much fun as I possibly can’

‘Not good enough, this is not healthy, you revise a lot which is good because its for your HSC but you are neglecting everything else’

‘If I want to be a doctor then I have to’ she tersely replied glaring at Bianca and crossed her arms as if to emphasise her annoyance.

‘You are going to have no friends left’ Bianca pointed out as April snatched the paper back from her hands.

‘That is a risk I am willing to take’

‘Why?’

‘Let me get on with this’ April said

‘No, tell me, I won’t stop till I know what is driving you to be like this’

‘I can’t fail’ April responded harshly causing Bianca to flinch.

Bianca really didn’t like the new side that April seemed to exhibit, she could see April’s frame shaking and she was so concerned, she noted that she had not even seen April eat anything for at least 2 days.

She relented and let April carry on but she was going to have to do something drastic and soon because she didn’t like the way April was fixated on her education, she was glad that she had her head screwed on but at the same time it was going to be dangerous.

Jake walked onto the beach half expecting to see April there, he was curious about her, the exam season had passed and yet he had not see nor hide or hair of her. It made him feel like she was avoiding him.

Everyone he asked assured him that it wasn’t the case but he couldn’t shake the feeling that it was, that he had done something apart from not apologise to her the first time that they had met.

Though to be fair, he hadn’t meant to do anything to her, he hadn’t meant to nudge her. He could have apologized but for some reason, he didn’t want to.

‘So here you are’ he heard from behind him.

‘April?’ he said

‘That’s me’

‘So how come you never called me?’

‘Busy’ came her blunt reply, which was beginning to irritate Jake. He didn’t get why she was being so hot and cold, it was not hard for her to be nice and kind to him. He only wanted to get to know her better and was finding it hard to muster any more enthusiasm to talk to her.

‘Fine, got it’

April frowned as Jake picked up his towel and put it around his neck and walked away from her.

‘What are you doing?’

‘Walking’ he replied as April followed him

‘We were talking and then you decide to walk away?’

‘I have spent nearly 4 months trying to talk to you, you clearly don’t want to know so it makes my decision easier’

April frowned even more confused and grabbed his arm to stop walking away and Jake faced her. ‘Leaving’

‘Yes, leaving, I was asked to stay but there is nothing to keep me here.’

April felt a pang of guilt as she looked at him, she didn’t mean to make him feel so alone but she had been hurt by Dex and she didn’t want to get hurt again, she knew that people assumed that she was being unfair.

She had her reasons, being cheated on ripped her heart out, and he might not have slept with her but he still hurt her, yet everyone thought she should just forget just because she was his first proper relationship.

I can’t forget. Why should I forget? He hurt me and I cannot forget that. I just know that I want to move on and be myself again.

‘Going where?’ she asked

‘Melbourne, I got accepted to the uni there’

‘Didn’t you get accepted here?’

‘Yes, but I realised that I don’t want to be here’ he said and April noted bitterness in his tone, she couldn’t answer and Jake took that as a nod to him leaving so he walked away.

April didn’t stop him, what was she supposed to say? How could she say she wanted him around when she had no idea what she wanted.

Jake stopped ‘I gave Ruby my number, if you wanted to come down maybe one day?’

‘Maybe, yeah’ April said with a forlorn smile and she watched him walk away yet again..

‘Hes at the bus station, go and get him back’ Ruby said about two weeks later after watching April spend yet another day in her rooms, cleaning the local shops out of tissues.

‘No. I cant. I just cant’

‘Why not?’

‘I ignored him for months.’

‘You barely spoke to him so you cant feel bad for that but you are not helping yourself now by being stubborn’ she reprimanded harshly.

‘Okay, fine, I will’

At the bus station..

‘Jake?’

‘April’ he responded in surprise.

‘That’s me’

‘What are you doing here?’

‘I do not want you to go’

‘I have to go.’

‘Please, stay, go to the uni here, be with me’

‘I cant’

‘You can, please Jake.’ She was bearing her soul to this guy and it would break her if he left which is why Jake leant forward and wiped the tears that she had flowing down her face, why did saying goodbye have to be so hard? Why couldn’t she just be honest with herself and admit that he was the one she wanted.

Life is meant to be full of up and downs, something bad happens, you deal with it, pick yourself up and move the hell on but how are you supposed to do that when you have absolutely no idea where to start?

‘I have to go’ he said and placed a kiss on her lips. She clung onto him and savoured the feel of him on her lips before allowing him to pull away from her.

‘I am sorry’ he said as he rubbed his thumb on her cheek before walking away from her. She watched him walk away and she felt like she was crumbling apart…

‘April?’ Ruby approached her knowing exactly what she was going to say but letting April taking her time to say it.

‘He’s gone’ she said as tears broke through her exterior that she had spent so long building and she didn’t care if anyone saw her break down, although if she was being honest with herself, it was her own fault that he had gone, he gave the chance and she didn’t take it.

She kept kicking herself, he was there ready for her to be happy and to let herself go but she was so stubborn that she didn’t let him in and unfortunately she lost him…

April walked back out of the bus station and was barged past again, she turned and uttered the one word.

‘Douche’

‘Douche, nice thanks’ she heard

‘Jake?’

‘That’s me’

April didn’t want to tempt fate and she didn’t have to, as he kissed her for a very long time, drawing her into his arms and not wanting to let go.

‘Sorry’

‘For?’

‘Calling you a douche’

He grinned and made April melt inside. ‘No need, if you hadn’t said it, we wouldn’t be here together now’

‘True’

He linked their hands together and walked back to the bus station to pick up his bags, there was no way he was going anywhere, not now.

Entry 3 - Who knows what the future holds...

April raced to the bathroom and vomited violently into the toilet. She stood up and flushed away the contents of her breakfast. Again? she thought to herself as she looked at herself in the mirror. Her dark brown hair fell against her face freely. The same thing happened yesterday! April’s face crinkled as she frowned and thought deeply for a moment. She turned away as her face fell. She grew white.

‘April, are you okay in there?’ Bianca asked through the bathroom door, breaking April’s thoughts.

April washed her hands. ‘Yeah, I’m fine,’ she replied. She walked over to the door and opened it to face her sister.

‘Are you sure?’ Bianca asked concerned. She looked flushed, but April didn’t think too much about it.

April nodded. Bianca wrapped her arms around April and hugged her tightly.

‘I’m just gonna go for a walk,’ April said quietly. She walked outside and felt the sun beat down on her face as she made her way to the pharmacy. She sat down on a bench quietly outside the store for over half an hour before she got the courage to walk into the store to buy what she needed.

As April walked home, she held the brown paper bag in her hand tightly, as if to keep her secret hidden away. She made her way home quickly and shut herself in her bedroom. She sat on her bed and pulled out the box from the bag and looked at the writing on the box. Accurate Pregnancy Test. April sighed deeply and put the box back in the bag as Irene opened her bedroom door, a cup of tea in hand.

‘Hey girlie, I made you some tea,’ Irene said. She placed the cup on April’s beside table.

‘Thanks Irene,’ April said. She smiled up at Irene and patted the spare bit of bed beside her.

‘Are you okay?’ Irene asked. ‘I heard you in the bathroom this morning.’ Irene put an arm around April’s shoulders as she sat down on the bed.

‘I’m fine Irene,’ April replied.

‘It must’ve been something you ate, Bianca did the same shortly after you left,’ Irene said.

April smiled and nodded. ‘Probably. I think I’ll just try to sleep it off,’ April said.

Irene nodded. She stood up and made her way out of the room before she stopped in the doorway and turned around. ‘I’ll come back and check on you later,’ Irene said kindly.

April nodded and lay down on the bed. Her mind raced.

Two weeks later April found her nausea hadn’t subsided and decided to bite the bullet and take the test she had bought a fortnight earlier.

April took the test to the bathroom and read the instructions carefully before she carried out the test. She paced the small bathroom as she waited for the result to come in. She looked at her watch every few seconds, watching the time tick away slowly before the time was up. April took a deep breath and looked down at the test on the bathroom sink. Two red lines ran down the windows on the stick. April was pregnant.

April sat on her bed that night and thought about how to tell Bianca she was pregnant. Before she could find the courage to leave her bedroom, Bianca knocked on the door before she opened it.

‘Hey,’ Bianca said.

April looked up at her. ‘Hey yourself,’ she said playfully.

‘Can we talk?’ Bianca asked.

April nodded. Bianca closed the door and sat on the bed at April’s feet.

‘What’s up?’ April asked.

‘I…’ Bianca stuttered. She looked at April.

‘What is it?’ April asked, her face falling.

‘I’m pregnant,’ Bianca blurted out quickly. She turned away from April.

April smiled. ‘Liam must be so happy,’ she said.

Bianca shook her head. ‘I haven’t told him,’ she said quietly.

‘Why not?’ April asked. ‘He’ll be stoked to be a dad again.’

Bianca’s face fell. ‘He’s not…’ she started. ‘We haven’t…’

April scrambled to her sisters side and wrapped her arms around her. Bianca fell into April’s arms.

‘Liam’s not the father?’ April asked. ‘Then who?’

Bianca sighed deeply. ‘Heath,’ she said.

April felt her head spin. ‘Heath? Heath Braxton?’ April asked.

Bianca nodded as a tear fell down her face. ‘We were together for a while when Liam was in rehab,’ Bianca tried to explain. ‘Liam left, I didn’t know where he was or if he was ever coming back.’

‘It’s okay, you don’t need to explain,’ April said. ‘But I’ve gotta tell you something.’ April frowned. Was now the right time? April thought to herself.

‘What?’ Bianca asked.

April opened her bedside drawer and pulled out her pregnancy test, which she handed to Bianca.

Bianca took it and looked at it. Her eyes widened in surprise.

‘You’re pregnant?’ Bianca asked shocked.

April nodded. ‘I took that today. I’ve been feeling sick for weeks,’ she said.

‘But who? And when?’ Bianca asked.

‘After the formal,’ April said. ‘I wanted to feel…’ she trailed off.

‘Normal?’ Bianca offered.

‘No. Human. I wanted to be a woman. Be with someone who could take me to another world,’ April tried to explain. ‘I wanted bliss.’ She looked over at Bianca.

‘And did you get it?’ Bianca asked.

April smiled. ‘Yes,’ she said breathlessly. ‘It was everything I expected and wanted. And more.’

‘So where did this happen? I don’t remember you coming home?’ Bianca asked.

‘We went back to his new place just out of town,’ April said.

Bianca smiled at April, who seemed happy to talk about her first time until the reality set in.

‘So who’s the father?’ Bianca asked. ‘Who’d you sleep with?’

April frowned. ‘Heath,’ she said quietly.

‘What?’ Bianca asked louder than she meant.

‘I’m sorry, I didn’t know about you and him,’ April said quickly. ‘It just happened.’

Both sisters sat in silence for a few minutes before Bianca spoke.

‘How can this be happening?’ Bianca asked.

‘I don’t know,’ April admitted.

A month later Heath sat before April and a now-showing Bianca at their house.

‘Why am I here?’ Heath asked. He looked from one to the other.

‘I’m pregnant,’ Bianca said.

Heath laughed. ‘Rockstar must be very happy,’ he said.

Bianca shook her head. ‘It’s yours Heath.’

‘What?’ Heath asked shocked.

‘Remember that weekend at the cabin?’ Bianca asked. ‘We pretty much stayed in all weekend.’

Heath sat in stunned silence. ‘You mean that’s mine?’ he asked as he pointed to Bianca’s small baby bump.

‘Yes,’ Bianca said. ‘But that’s not all.’ She looked over at April.

‘I’m pregnant too,’ April said. ‘It’s yours.’

Heath turned white. ‘You can’t be serious,’ Heath said quietly.

‘We are,’ Bianca said. ‘After Liam’s motorbike accident, he was told he’d never have anymore children, so he’s said he’ll take on all responsibility.’

‘No,’ Heath said. ‘That’s my child. I’m the father. You can’t take that away from me.’

April cleared her throat. Heath looked over at her and sighed.

‘Are you gonna keep my child away from me too?’ Heath asked.

‘No,’ April said. She gave a slight smile.

Heath smiled. ‘Can I?’ he asked. He stood up and held out a hand to April’s stomach.

April nodded and grabbed his hand, placing it gently on the very small lump. Heath smiled and looked deep into April’s eyes. He cleared his throat and looked at Bianca, removing his hand as he did so.

‘I can’t stop you marrying the Rockstar, but I am your baby’s father, I want to be the father,’ Heath said.

Bianca nodded. ‘Okay,’ she agreed.

Heath smiled and ran a hand along Bianca’s stomach gently. ‘Okay,’ Heath said. He walked out of the house quickly.

April followed Heath to the beach from the house and came to rest at his side.

‘That went well,’ April said. ‘But do you really want to be part of Liam and Bianca’s life?’

Heath smiled. ‘I just want to be part of yours,’ he said. He put his arm around her shoulders. He leant down and kissed her lips gently.

‘Do you think we should’ve told her about us?’ April asked. ‘I mean, it’s been three months.’

Heath brushed a stray hair from April’s face as he looked at her deeply. ‘Probably,’ Heath said before he kissed her lips once more.

April woke up next to Heath and smiled as her baby kicked inside her. A large bump protruded from her stomach. April had watched Bianca’s baby’s birth and found she was now ready for her own baby’s imminent arrival. April rolled onto her side and faced Heath, who blinked and opened his eyes to April.

‘Hey,’ Heath said. He kissed April’s lips gently before he kissed her bump. ‘How are you feeling?’ Heath asked.

‘I’m so ready for this baby to come,’ April said.

Heath smiled. ‘Me too,’ he said.

‘I’ve been thinking,’ April started. ‘After the baby’s born we should get out of here and start somewhere new.’

‘Yeah?’ Heath asked. He smiled. ‘I’d like that. A fresh start for a new family.’

April smiled at him. ‘I love you,’ she said.

‘I love you too,’ Heath said. He pecked her lips lightly.

‘So where are you heading?’ Irene asked April a month later. April held her baby daughter in her arms tightly.

‘Canada,’ Heath said. He stood next to April and put an arm around her.

‘I’ve got extended family over there,’ April said.

‘I can’t believe you’re leaving,’ Bianca said. She walked over to April and hugged her sister tightly. ‘I want weekly photos of this little one,’ Bianca said as she cooed at April’s daughter. ‘Aunty Bianca’s gonna miss little Jessie so much.’

April smiled. ‘Not as much as Aunty April’s gonna miss little Ben,’ April said referring to the bundle in Liam’s arms.

April and Bianca watched Heath walk over to Liam.

‘Take care of him, yeah?’ Heath said to Liam.

‘Yeah,’ Liam said. ‘Weekly photos and all that, I got it.’ Liam smiled.

Heath shook his head. ‘Ben’s your son. You should take care of him.’

Liam looked at him. ‘Are you sure?’ he asked.

Heath smiled. ‘Yep. Good luck with it all,’ Heath said. He kissed his son’s forehead and walked back to April, saying a silent goodbye to his son as he did so.

‘You ready?’ Heath asked.

April nodded.

Liam walked over to Bianca and stood behind her.

‘We’ll talk soon?’ Bianca asked April.

April smiled. She handed Jessie over to Heath to put into the baby seat as Bianca and April hugged tightly.

‘I love you Bianca,’ April said in her ear.

‘I love you too April,’ Bianca said.

Heath got into the car and started the engine. ‘Time to go,’ he said through the open window.

Bianca and April pulled apart.

April walked around to the passenger seat and waved goodbye to Liam, before she looked back to Bianca.

‘See ya later,’ April said.

Bianca smiled and nodded. ‘See you later,’ she repeated.

April got in the car and Heath drove out of the driveway onto the residential street.

April turned around in her seat and watched Bianca and Liam walk out onto the road to wave goodbye. April waved back and watched them grow smaller in the distance before they disappeared from view. April turned back and faced the front windscreen once more.

‘You ready for our new life?’ Heath asked.

April nodded. ‘Yes.’

Voting ends on 14th February 6pm ACST.

Get voting :)!!!!

Entry One: I liked how it was well-written and liked how Dexter/VJ's friendship was described and well-written. :) And I found it funny at the ending with VJ telling the Walkers Dexter was kidnapped by aliens. :lol:

Entry Two: Another fab but well-written entry. Liked how you described April's emoticons and thoughts. :) And the ending with her and Jake was so sweet :P

Entry Three: Liked how the Scotts sisters' reaction was beautifully-written and well done when they learnt they were pregnant to the same man-Heath Braxton. And the ending was amazing-seeing Heath and April, their baby leaving Summer Bay to their new life in Canada. :)

I voted for Entry One because it was a awesome but funny one and I liked the title for Entry one

Sorry it's taking me so long to review and vote, I suddenly realised late last night I hadn't read these yet!

Entry #1:School Report

This had a nice sense of humour and a ready wit about it, although the humour did feel a bit forced at times, I’m not sure VJ was entirely in character.Although I try not to let them bother me, there were also a number of spelling mistakes, which did distract slightly.The idea of Dexter leaving town because he’s been abducted by aliens is a highly original one and, while I felt it maybe should have ended on the abduction, the scenes of everyone’s reactions were very amusing and it did have a good last note.

Entry #2:Is This Really Goodbye?

I think this one suffered a bit from its focus on an original character who didn’t seem to have much depth to him.All we know about Jake is that he’s a new boy who fancies April and he never really progressed beyond a generic love interest.There also seemed to be a few odd plot diversions:I thought the thing about April studying was going somewhere but then it was just forgotten about.Where it did succeed though was in its portrayal of April’s point of view, she did feel very much in character and I could believe that these were her thoughts we were reading.

Entry #3:Who Knows What the Future Holds

This one tried to do a bit too much.The opening was intriguing, with the growing suspicion that April and possibly Bianca were pregnant, which built nicely to the revelation that Heath was the father of both children.But after that we seemed to move rapidly from telling Heath to both sisters giving birth to April and Heath leaving together without pausing for breath.It was a good storyline but could have helped from being a bit more focused, perhaps beginning later on in the pregnancy and concentrating on the departure with us learning about events after the fact.But it was an enjoyable read and a nice idea.

All the stories were good in different ways but for sheer nerve and originality I vote for Entry #1.

• 1 month later...

Fan Fiction Contest #30

THE BIG CONFESSION.

A resident has a confession which has a big impact.

This could be a confession of love or something much darker.

Thanks to the writers for their entries here we go start voting. Voting ends 1st April at 12pm. Uk time.

Entry 1

Harveys Confession

Roo starts dating Harvey again, but after a while he starts to act very strange, receiving phone calls late at night , whilst they are having a meal and hiding secret emails. Roo wonders what Harvey has to hide and why he is being so secretive about it all. She also notices that he is prying a lot into her life and asks about Martha and where she is now. Roo tells him she knows nothing , but he doesn't believe her. Roo confides in Lea. She loves Harvey but he has changed a lot. One night she hears him on the phone, arranging to meet someone. She suspects he is having an affair. She decides to follow him. As soon as he gets to the location, a familiar face steps out to meet him, Brett Macklin , Martha's father and Roo's old boyfriend. Roo hurries home and tries to pretend she saw nothing. What dealings does Harvey have with Brett. One day when Harvey has to rush off, Roo looks through his laptop and finds photos of Harvey and Brett together , and a document about a new development together and that Harvey is Brett's brother!! Roo confronts Harvey who tries to deny everything, then all of a sudden Brett walks in.."Hello Roo" . Roo, in shock asks him why he is back in the Bay and what they are up to? Brett tells Roo that Harvey was adopted into another family when he was a baby, but is his biological brother. Their parents had put him up for adoption because they were banned from seeing each other by Brett's mother's parents. Only later his parents reunited and went on to have Stacey and Brett. then Roo asks about the development they are planning together and finds out that its to build a complex where the caravan park is. Harvey and Brett have been plotting all along to win Roo's trust, get Alf on side , so they could crush them and make their mint in Summer Bay.

Entry 2

Free

Dear Charlie,

I know writing this letter is crazy, knowing you’ll never read it, but my counsellor Michael said it might be a good thing to write everything down. Everything I never got to say to you.

I miss you everyday and you’re never far from my mind. In fact, you’re always in my thoughts. People say that I should let you go, because you’re already gone, but I’m scared to do that in case I begin to forget you. And I never want to forget you.

We never really talked about our change of relationship, but I know how much you loved me. I just wish I had’ve told you how much I loved you. I’ll never forgive myself for hurting you so much over the years, but I have always loved you. And I always will. I just hope you’ll forgive my stubborn ways. Some day.

I feel so grateful to have you as my mother and sister. Through thick and thin, you’ve always stood beside me when no one else did. You had an amazing caring side, with a touch of tough-love when it was needed. I knew I could always count on you to be by my side. I always thought that with our stubborn nature we’d end up in a police station lock-up together. Instead, I ended up having to bury you before your time. I don’t understand how that happened. And there’s really only one person to blame. Brax.

Brax was what got you killed. I know you loved him, but he never treated you right, and the rivalry between his gang and the other gang ended up in bloodshed. Brax put you in the middle and got you killed. I will never forgive him for what he did to you. He used you like a toy, a puppet. And for what? Nothing good has come from your death. I’m just glad that both gangs got what they deserved in a showdown with the cops. That time, the good guys won, and both gangs were destroyed in death and injury. The surviving members will live the rest of their lives in jail. At least they got what they deserved.

Sometimes I hate you so much for leaving so suddenly. I never really got to say how much I love you. I know you’d probably say that you already knew, but how can you really know? I spent so much time hating you for lying about Grant, and now I wish I could’ve stood by your side and given you the support and comfort you needed. I love you so much, and I just hope that some day when we meet again, we can put all that behind us and just be us again.

Charlie, I love you. And I wish you were here with me. I don’t know how to live without you. You’re my mother and my best friend. I don’t know what I’m going to do without you in my life. I just hope that wherever you are up in heaven, that you’re at peace. Because you deserve to be peaceful.

Whenever I get upset, I remember that although you’re not here with me in person, I can feel your presence and that comforts me. One day, my wish is to be reunited with you.

I love you mum. I wish you were here.

Ruby. Xoxo

Charlie looked up from the letter. Tears filled her eyes as she realised how much her daughter was hurting from her apparent murder. She made the split decision to leave a note on Ruby’s bed and wait to see what happened. She walked out of the house silently and made her way down the dark side streets. She knew she couldn’t be seen by anyone, but part of her wanted to tell everyone that she was alive. Charlie looked at her watch and scurried into an old empty shed, where she waited to be taken to her next destination, as far away from Summer Bay as she could get.

Charlie opened her eyes and found herself on the floor of the shed. A light shone on her from above. Charlie moved, unsure if her cover had been blown, and tried to see who else was around.

‘Mum?’ Ruby asked quietly from the shadows.

‘Ruby?’ Charlie asked. She shook her head to make sure she was awake and in the presence of her daughter. Charlie stood up and looked around the room before her eyes rested on her daughter, who stepped into the light of the room.

They both smiled and ran towards each other before they hugged tightly.

‘I love you Ruby. I’m sorry I had to leave,’ Charlie said. She tried to blink away her tears unsuccessfully and let them roll down her cheeks freely.

‘It’s okay,’ Ruby said. She buried her head in her mothers neck. ‘I love you too,’ she whispered.

They pulled apart and took in each other for the first time in over a month.

‘We have to go,’ Charlie said. ‘Did you get my message and bring everything you need? Because once we walk out that door there’s no coming back,’ she said.

Ruby pointed to two large bags and a backpack beside the door.

‘I packed some stuff for you too,’ Ruby said. ‘But just answer me this. Why did you pretend to die?’

Charlie sighed and looked at Ruby, who looked heartbroken at her mother’s betrayal of trust.

‘I knew my life was in danger and when I spoke to the commissioner at work, he said that the best course of action was to stage my death,’ Charlie said. She sat down on an old chair and pulled Ruby onto the seat beside her.

‘I knew I was in over my head and I realised I was stuck in the middle of a gang war. I honestly couldn’t see a way out,’ Charlie said more quietly than before.

‘So you just got up and left?’ Ruby asked.

‘I had to, for everyone’s sake,’ Charlie said. ‘But I realised I couldn’t live without you in my life, so I begged my protectors to let me come back to see how you were doing.’

‘And?’ Ruby asked cautiously.

‘I found the letter you wrote,’ Charlie said.

Ruby’s face fell and she turned white.

‘Are you okay?’ Charlie asked.

Ruby nodded. ‘I just can’t believe that all of this has happened,’ Ruby whispered.

‘Me either,’ Charlie agreed. ‘But we have to get out of here. Now,’ Charlie said sternly.

‘Okay,’ Ruby said. ‘Just one more question.’

Charlie looked at her daughter. ‘What?’ Charlie asked.

‘What about Brax?’ Ruby asked.

‘Brax?’ Charlie asked confused.

‘Yeah, you said you couldn’t live without him,’ Ruby said.

Charlie smiled and nodded. ‘When I left I realised that there was only one person I couldn’t live without,’ Charlie said.

Ruby smiled.

‘And besides, Brax was all part of the Polices plan to get all the gang members thrown into jail,’ Charlie confessed. ‘I never loved him.’

Ruby smiled at her mother and they walked arm in arm out of the shed and into the waiting car.

Entry 1: A lot was happening really quickly in this story, and it took me several times of reading it to understand what was going on. Once I had read through it however I thought the plot idea behind it was a good one, but the actual writing of it was quite confusing.

Entry 2: Loved that rubys counsellor told her to write all the things that she never got to say to charlie, into a letter. I thought that her conflicting emotions (such as how much she missed Charlie, but how angry she was at her for leaving her) were very realistic. I was actually surprised when I found out that charlie was still alive, as I hadn't actually suspected that. The fact that ruby was prepared to leave her old life and go into witness protection with Charlie, and that Charlie told ruby that she was the only one that she couldn't live without was actually quite moving for me. However the fact that Charlie had never loved Brax and was part of the polices plan to get the gang members thrown in jail seemed to more of an after thought, rather than the big confession that I thought that it should have been. I really loved this story, and the only thing that I would have changed would be to have gone a bit more in depth with the confession about Brax.

So based on all the reasons I have stated above, I am casting my vote for entry 2 :)

Entry #1:Harvey’s Confession

This one had an interesting idea behind it which was obviously well thought out, the idea that Harvey and Brett were in cahoots and are brothers, and it all tied up and made sense.The only problem was it was somewhat short and came across as more of an idea than a story:Presenting it as a synopsis made it hard to feel an emotional connection.An intriguing scenario all the same.

Entry #2:Free

Another interesting idea, that Charlie had been working undercover all along and had faked her death.Her inviting Ruby to join her was a good hook to hang the idea on and allowed a positive ending.I would have liked a few more explanations:How exactly did Charlie fake her death?What happened to Brax, is he dead or in jail?But perhaps doing so would have distracted from the emotional centre so in that way it succeeds.

Both writers deserve commending for their work but I vote for Entry #2.

ENTRY ONE: I found the plotline really interesting but really good. I had been reading every word of it and it's really well-written. Roo's reaction to Brett beginning back in Summer Bay is amusing. Well done to whoever wrote this :)

ENTRY TWO: Wow this is really a touching but well-written entry! :o I loved how Charlie and Ruby's reunion was described and well done. Liked how Charlie told Ruby she can't live without her in her life-so sweet but moving :) Liked how they walked out of the shed together to the waiting room leaving their old lives and going into witness protection.

Well done to whoever wrote the entries :) My vote goes to Entry Two.

Archived