Quick Fanfiction Contest Archive

Guest ish_the_angel

• Replies 263
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • 1 month later...

Quick Fan Fiction Contest #34

Theme: The Break Up

•Your story must be based on this prompt: Two people in a relationship breaking up. Who the couple is, why they break up, and if they get back together is up to the author.

•Word limit: Up to 6000 words

•Voting closes Sunday, 18 November, 2012, 6 pm (WST)

•Authors appreciate feedback, so please leave a short comment with your vote or for each entry.

---

Entry One - The Night that Changed Everything

Lyrics by Mcfly.

I wish I could Bubble Wrap my heart,

In case I fall and break apart.

Xavier felt the sadness of the music seep into his thoughts. The magic of the sound drew his curiosity as he slowly made his way to the front door, afraid that this was a dream and one wrong step would stop the melody. It gave him comfort to be immersed in the tune, but his solitude was over as he noticed Ruby outside.

“I see you’re listening to the song again.” She said entering the house.

This is the last time,

I give up this heart of mine.

It seemed so intoxicating, a sad tune and lyrics with a story to tell mixed into one impacting combination. This was his song of the moment that told the story of his life.

“Did you listen to Evanescence’s Forgive Me?” Ruby asked.

Xavier nodded.

“What did you think?”

Xavier just shrugged his shoulders.

Ruby gave a weak smile. “So will you forgive me”?

“It’s not that simple Rubes.”

The hurt on her face spoke volumes. “I’m sorry for all the mistakes I’ve made Xave and I know I’m the last person you want to see right now. I get how you’re feeling.”

“You don’t know anything about what I feel.” Xavier said coldly.

“I just want a chance to explain everything to you.”

“Go ahead then.”

“Ok, but I have to start from the beginning. There’s a lot to cover.” Ruby breathed a deep breath and began to tell Xavier everything.

---

2 Weeks Earlier

In the living room of the Austin’s home Xavier stretched out across the couch, with his head propped up against a cushion. His laptop rested on the coffee table beside him. He traced his index finger to the arrow key, and began scrolling through Ruby’s new pictures on her Twitter account that she’d wanted him to see. He was about to leave a comment on one when he saw the newest message in a long line beside the photograph.

Casey: I’m not even going to lie that Ruby chick does not look that bad.

SashX3 : She’s weird, lol joke.

He re-read the comment again and felt compelled to type a message back.

Xavieoli: That girl you’re saying isn’t that bad is mine. So whoever that guy is below me (below SashX3) get your own.

He knew he sounded like an insecure and protective boyfriend, but he didn’t want her to see that he hadn’t tried to protect her, and most of all he wanted to show that he cared.

He was about to sign out when he stumbled upon Ruby’s recent tweet. It said that she was going to the movies with Casey. Xavier did a double take. Ruby was going to the cinema with the guy who’d left the message? He didn’t know who Casey was, but he didn’t like the sound of this.

The sound of the phone ringing brought him away from the online world and his thoughts. “Hey Annie, what’s up?” Xavier said into the mouth piece of the cordless.

“I’m extremely bored. I got a new phone today though.”

“Cool.” Xavier replied glumly.

“Yeah I’m so happy with it. So what’s up with you? You don’t sound yourself.”

“I just found out that Ruby’s going to a movie later with some guy called Casey.”

“They are? In Yabbie Creek?” Annie asked in surprise.

“Yeah.” Xavier sighed. “This is not good.”

“What movie?”

Xavier looked at Ruby’s Twitter to gauge information. “They haven’t decided. I’m still dating her so she’s technically cheating on me. This sucks.” Xavier glanced at his phone, a message icon appeared. “Oh great. So she just text saying she saw my message and is it a crime to want to hang out with somebody, and that she needs to talk to me.”

“Well if you do then maybe you can tell her how she has to start acknowledging you, and those words could mean trouble.”

“What words?”

“Well she said she wants to talk and she’s hanging out with another guy. So it might mean she wants it over or she’s not happy with something. I can’t tell which, but it’s one of the two.”

“Could you meet me outside the Surf Club in half an hour? I want to go confront her about this.”

Annie looked over to Irene, who was sat happily watching a game show. She knew that sneaking out under her foster mother’s nose was near impossible to accomplish without being grounded. “No, no way. I can’t risk it.”

“Come on Annie. She’ll listen to you.” Xavier persisted.

Annie sighed. “I know she’s my best friend and everything, but do you honestly think she’s worth getting hurt over?”

“I don’t know. What do you think?”

“If Ruby’s going to cheat on you and not care about how you feel, then maybe it’s time to break it off.”

“I’m still going to find her.” Xavier said adamantly.

“Good luck.”

---

It was a typical weekly movie night in Yabbie Creek. Ruby and Casey were out from prying parental eyes as they stood waiting to see Sunrise, a new vampire flick.

Inside the cinema, seated at the back of rows of soft fabric chairs were teenagers all filled with excitement as the opening credits projected onto the big screen.

Casey held hands with Ruby, while a couple behind them were lip-locked.

“Heath’s thinking of picking us up later. He’s gonna take us to this underage club after the movie and it would really suck if you weren’t there.” He noticed Ruby’s reluctance. “Come on, be a rebel for once.”

Ruby sighed and after a moment of thought gave in. “Fine, but if I get grounded it’s on your head.”

---

In the foyer Xavier tried to figure out what movie Ruby and Casey may have gone to see as he looked between the posters.

“Hey do I know you?” Sasha’s words cut into Xavier’s thoughts.

He spun round. “No. I don’t think so.”

“Wait a second.” She now stood at his side. “I know where I’ve seen you before, that kid on Twitter telling that guy Casey to leave your girlfriend alone. I’m SashX3.”

“Yeah, that was like a few hours ago.”

“I know, small world hey.”

Xavier paused for thought then asked. “You wouldn’t happen to know what movie they went into, would you?”

“You’re in luck actually because I do, it’s Sunrise.” Sasha answered, a small smile playing on her lips.

“Thanks.” Xavier strolled over to the ticket counter.

“Isn’t that just a waste of money? I mean, you could just wait until they come out.”

Deep down Xavier agreed. On the other hand he felt urged to do something about the situation that he had found himself in. Maybe it was a loyalty. Maybe it was because he was too nice or naïve, but he had to know if Ruby was cheating or not. “Do you like him or something?”

Sasha shook her head. “No. I used to like him, but hell no not anymore not ever again. I just don’t want him with Ruby. No offence I have nothing against her I just don’t want them together for basically your sake and hers. Let’s just hope he hasn’t tried it on with her yet.”

“What do mean for my sake and hers? What will he do?” Xavier tried not to visualize the images that Sasha’s words had just given him.

“She’ll eventually fall for him and being a typical River Boy he will end up either cheating on her, or find someone new and randomly break up with her while she thinks they’re happy as hell. Then she’ll come crawling back to you and you’ll be like ‘No, you chose someone else over me.’ So basically he’ll mess up your life and leave you out to dry.”

Xavier bit his lip. “Seems my gut feeling was right, thanks for telling me this.”

“Of course, anytime.”

---

Ruby muffled giggles as Casey tickled her whilst she tried to stop the sweet toffee popcorn from falling into her lap.

“I like you a lot you Ruby.” Casey said.

Ruby smiled and brushed a strand of wavy curls out of her eyes. She felt a flutter in her stomach as Casey caressed her jaw line ready to move in for a kiss.

“You alright mate?” Xavier interrupted them. “Get your hands off my girlfriend!”

“Xavier! What are you doing here?” Ruby asked in total shock.

Xavier’s insides screamed at the pair of them. He curled his hands into fists. He wanted to launch himself at the guy. He wanted to shout at Ruby, but he didn’t do either. He merely stood looking at them, feeling mortified that the girl he loved could do this to him. “When were you going to tell me that you seeing this loser? Or were you going to keep it a secret?

Casey glared at him. “I’d take that back if I were you.”

Ruby blinked. “I don’t know Xave, all I can say is I’m sorry. I didn’t want to do this here, but I think we should break up.”

“That has to be the understatement of the century. Caught in the act and now you say you want to break up.” Xavier scoffed. “If this is what you want then you’re welcome to each other. You do know that he’s probably going to cheat on you.”

“Dude I swear if you talk anymore crap. I don’t care if you’re from Summer Bay. I’ll go there and wipe you out.” Casey threatened.

Xavier took one last look at Ruby. “You know this is last time I’m going to let you do this to me. When you start missing me remember, you let me go.”

---

Present Day

Tears swelled in Ruby’s eyes as she finished her explanation. “I really regret hurting you.”

Xavier, however, didn’t seem to buy her apology. “Don’t regret, at least he made you smile.”

“For the last time Xave, I don’t want to be with Casey.” She cried, exasperated. “You mean the world to me, I feel like I’m nothing without you. When we broke up I felt fine for a few days until the shock of what I did finally set in, now I’m just depressed all the time. I really miss what we had and I wish I could go back and fix it.”

“It’s too late.” Xavier replied as he plopped down on the end of the arm chair.

“This probably doesn’t mean anything to you but I still wanted to tell you, and if you’re serious about moving on without me in your life then I won’t do anything to try mess it up. I swear.” A flood of tears gushed down Ruby’s cheeks as she stared at him, sincerity in her eyes.

The final chords of the music played and all Xavier could focus on was the last four lines. He couldn’t help agree how they rang so true.

You’re standing in moonlight,

But you’re black on the inside,

Who do you think you are to cry?

This is goodbye.

---

Entry Two - Connections

‘Tell me why’ she asked huskily but with an air of strength seeping through for him to hear. Her heart had been trampled on so many times which meant that she was indifferent, on the outside her face showed no signs of breaking down but internally? That was a different matter, she had no idea how she hadn’t worked it out, all the late nights ‘working’.

The supposed night out with the boys that she never begrudged him, in fact she was glad that he was out living his life whilst she was settling into her life; university had never been this stressful in the past.

She was glad that he did not complain when he had long since gone to bed and she was still awake trying to finish the never ending pile of uni work that she had to do.

‘Look, I can explain’ he replied trying to calm her down long enough to make her listen. He didn’t want to break her heart but he knew her better than most people and he had a sinking feeling that she wasn’t going to listen to him.

He didn’t want to drag up the past and the pain he put her through, in that sense he was a coward. The thought of seeing the hurt and agony etched into her face was enough for him to momentarily reconsider asking for her forgiveness. He didn’t deserve her forgiveness but he wanted it. He didn’t want to try and get her back. After all the first time he walked away was hard enough but to do it all over again? To reconnect but only to let her go again, he knew for a fact that he just wouldn’t be strong enough to do that again. Hell he was not strong enough anyways; at least he wasn’t physically strong enough. However this time it was different, had to be different, his whole life had been in turmoil for the past 18 months, fighting cancer made him see life in a different light. He had no idea if he was going to live but he knew he had to face up to what he did. Too many in the past, he swept it under the rug, justified it to himself but he never felt the courage of his convictions.

‘Explain then’ she said crossing her arms across her chest, his heart sunk a little more, it was a typical defensive action for her, which meant she had closed herself off and probably was not going to give his explanation a chance. He knew it was over but he was not going to let that stop him. He had to do this, for her sake as well as his own.

‘I did sleep with her’ he whispered as tears pooled in her eyes, he made a movement towards her but she flinched and tightened her arms against her chest. She didn’t step back but her body was radiating tension so he knew that she was not ready for him to be near her.

‘You know I slept with her,

‘So I wasn’t enough for you?’ she asked allowing her voice to break, for her insecurities to surface.

This was the guy who actually taught her to open up, to trust people and now he was back in her life turning everything upside again.

He had the ability to touch the most sensitive part in her life without even realising just how much he had affected her.

‘Don’t say that, you were amazing, I loved being able to wake up next to you’ he didn’t want to talk about the past, he wanted to make up for what he had done but at the same time, he knew that in order to move on from the past, he had to face it first.

‘I just had a moment of weakness’

‘Weakness? I bet you did, you slept with her, you didn’t think about me, or how it would affect me, just you and your quick moments of pleasure’ she hissed as the anger she had repressed came bubbling to the surface and began to make her shake with a mixture of pain and bitterness, but which emotion was more evident?

‘Look let me explain yes I slept with her. I was a weak and spineless coward. I wish I could turn back time and change it’ he breathed, her face was devoid from emotion which made him feel worst but he carried on speaking.

‘So much has happened since then. Too much, I know its over. I am not asking for you to take me back’ He paused as he took in her face; it was blank and difficult to read if not impossible.

‘If you know it is over then why are you here? Why walk back into my life?’

‘I really regret the pain I put you through, and I want to ask you to forgive me, I know I don’t deserve it but I am selfish’

She looked at him blankly and tried to get her brain to catch up. He wanted her forgiveness? She had moved on from this long ago, why was he dragging up the pain again.

‘You want me to forgive you?’ she asked needing confirmation of that it was that he was asking for. He nodded, she breathed out sharply and stepped back away from him.

‘You have no right to ask me that, none at all. I never cheated on you. I was faithful.’

‘I know, which is why I am the selfish jerk to even ask but I wanted to know if it was possible. I will always hate myself for it. Always. I regret it with all my heart.’

She sighed and looked down before looking up to meet his questioning gaze. ‘Why now? Why ask me to forgive you now? Its been 18 months since we split, why not a year ago? It doesn’t make sense for you to come into my life now’

‘I was scared’

She blinked in shock, even when they were together; he never once admitted his fears. He kept everything to himself. He never opened up to her but now it was different. She could tell he needed her forgiveness but she didn’t get why.

‘Scared?’

He nodded not sure what to say next, he could feel the distance growing between them. She was distancing herself again to protect herself. He had done that so many times over the past year.

‘So all you want is my forgiveness?’

‘Yes’

‘Then what?’

‘What do you mean?’ he asked perplexed.

‘You just going to walk out of my life again?’

‘That is the plan, I need you to forgive me so I can forgive myself. I know it is selfish.’

‘Selfish, it is selfish but its human as well. All you want is to move on from it all, get closure.’

‘Yes.’

‘Surely you know that I do not hold grudges?’

He looked at her and was momentarily stunned. He never considered that she had already forgiven him and moved on from it.

‘I know that, it is one of the things that allowed me to fall for you in the first place’

She nodded and looked him deep in the eyes. ‘You have my forgiveness but I have to tell you face to face that it is over’ she said with obvious conviction though deep down inside, she wanted to feel his arms around her, to be able to go to sleep curled up in his arms and then to wake up to see him there next to her knowing he was hers. The thought made her thaw slightly but she was not going to give in, she knew she was already dealing with too much. He was just another problem in her life but only if she let it become a problem. She wasn’t prepared to do that.

He furrowed his hair into rows trying to articulate his thoughts and decide if he should tell her about the cancer, the illness but he decided against it. She didn’t need it, she wasn’t his anymore, that broke his heart but he brought it upon himself.

‘Thank you, I do not deserve it but I appreciate it.’

‘Its okay, I let go of my anger a long time ago. I had to. Life is too short to allow things to pass by’ she told him but she couldn’t help but wish he had never gone to the other woman. She realised that she loved this man with all her heart; he was the guy who taught her to trust people. She had to grow up very quickly, life was never fair, but it just seemed extra cruel for him to walk back into her life now. She had learnt to let go of the bitterness and the bad memories. It was in the past for a reason. He didn’t respond, he was still trying to figure out what he could say to her. He didn’t want to leave it like this but he had his appointment. It was doomsday for him. He was going to find out if he had a life to live or a life to lead till his inevitable death.

‘I have to go. Do you want a lift somewhere?’

‘No, its fine, I have a lift.’

‘Okay.’ He didn’t want to walk away then but he forced himself to turn around and walk away, putting one foot in front of the other. Small steps.

She watched him walk away, she couldn’t help but admire him. He was still too good looking for his own good. She shook her head and turned away from him pushing thoughts of him out of her mind.

‘So Doc, do I plan my funeral or not?’

‘You have a knack with words you know’ Sid put in as he pulled out his file and opened it. He wanted it to be good news for him.

‘Look I would rather just know. I have spent so long fighting this and I am tired. Tired of needles, and chemo. Blood counts, just everything!’

‘I know, how have you been since your last chemo session?’

‘Feeling rough but the last session is the worst’

‘Well you don’t need anymore’

He stared at Sid. He needed to make sure he was serious. His face must have been a picture, he had no idea what to say but he knew that it was going to take him a while to recoer from the shock. He wanted to share the news with her. That notion shocked him.

‘I am in remission?’ he asked needing to hear the physical voicing of the words in order to be able to believe it.

‘Yes, you are in the clear. You will need regular check-ups but you can go and live your life now’

‘I will’ he breathed in shock but it was beginning to sink in. He had finally beaten the cancer that had ravaged his life for the past year. He had the chance to start again.

‘Thank you, you have no idea how much that means to me’

‘I can imagine. Go!’

She was sat on the beach, the waves lapping up the beach, she smiled at the memories she had of him throwing her into the water. She had to admit, he had shaken her up when he walked back into her life. She had just finished university; she didn’t want her life to be complicated. Complications meant feelings were involved and she really didn’t want to face what her feelings were.

‘Hey… you look lost in your thoughts’

She looked up and saw Sasha stood there. She smiled and gestured for her to sit next to him.

‘Yeah I am’

‘Guess he’s on your mind?’

‘Yeah I shouldn’t let him get in my head again’

‘Maybe not but you aren’t with him anymore. You let him go ages ago didn’t you?’

She nodded but her eyes gave her away. Sasha chuckled and asked her ‘How was it when you spoke to him?’

‘Weird. You remember how he used to play with his hair when he didn’t know what to say?’

‘Yeah’

‘Well he did that today and well…’

‘It made him appealing to you didn’t it?’

‘I don’t know why, I mean its just his hair. Its something that he does’

‘You still love him’ she put in. She didn’t suggest it, she told her that she still did. It was obvious to everyone but the pair of them. He loved her, he didn’t deserve her but he loved her.

She crossed her arms across her chest again in a defensive pose.

‘You always do that.’

‘Do what?’

‘Cross your arms across your chest, it’s a defence mechanism when you don’t want to accept how you truly feel. Sasha stood up and brushed the sand off her legs. She didn’t say anything else. Nothing else needed to be said.

He spotted her, he had no intention of going towards her but she saw him. She looked at him and then walked towards him. She had just reached the Surf Club car park. She felt drawn towards him. The spark was still there and from the way his eyes had darkened when she first spoke to him. She knew that he wanted her back. She shouldn’t want him back. She should kick him where it really hurts and walk away but she couldn’t. It was fate that he had walked back into her life. Everything happened for a reason, there had to be a reason that he was back.

She remembered the words Sasha said and smiled when he furrowed his hair into rows again, it just made it look messier but it made him also look sexy. The amount of times she would play with his hair when he was asleep in her arms just made her smile. She carried on walking towards him; she didn’t see the car reversing towards her. He screamed out to her but by the time she had realised what it was that he was saying.

Time just froze. Nothing moved for him. All he could see was her body on the ground. Blood everywhere. Somehow he managed to move his feet and run towards her. He picked her up and cradled her in his lap. He told someone to call for an ambulance but at the back of his mind, he knew it was too late. She was drifting away from him, the impact was too much for her small slender frame to withstand.

‘Hold on babe, please hold on, don’t leave me now. Please don’t!’ he whispered so she could hear him. Her eyes fluttered and locked onto him.

‘I love you’

‘I love you too but hold on you will be okay.’

She whimpered as the coldness radiated through her body, she grasped his hand more tightly.

‘I can’t hold on, I cant’

‘You can, just keep awake, the ambulance will be here soon, just don’t talk, save your energy.’

She shook her head as tears fell out of his eyes. ‘Its okay, I will be at peace soon. You will be okay, you will find love again, promise me you will.’

‘No.’

‘Promise me’ she rasped ‘Don’t deny me the last thing I will ever ask of you’ she whispered, feeling the pain lance through her as she spoke.

‘I cant’

‘You can’

‘Don’t make me’

‘Please’ she spoke again.

‘Okay. I promise, just save your energy’

She smiled a weak smile and he pressed his lips to her forehead.

‘I feel sleepy’ she mumbled. ‘Hurts’

The next words he said broke his heart into a million pieces but he had to say it. ‘Sleep babe, sweet dreams’

The last thing he saw was a faint I love you and a weak smile before her breathing faltered out.

‘I love you too April. Always and forever’

Entry One - The Night that Changed Everything

Oh man I felt really sorry for Xavier in this. I can't believe Ruby was that cruel to go off and cheat on him like that.

Nice touch that she was caught out because of twitter It goes to show you can't really hide a secret these days :lol: .

It was nice to see Annie in this story. I really enjoyed the scene with her and Xavier on the phone.

Really well done with this entry It actually made me want to go and have a go at Ruby myself. :lol:

Entry Two - Connections

Wow this story was very intense and very well written.

I liked how we don't know who the two people are untill the very end. This story really does end with a big twist and was rather hard hitting.

Well done.

Ok so now for the tough part. It is hard to pick between the two because both were so good.

But I am voting for Entry one.

Entry #1:The Night That Changed Everything

This started off with an intriguing mystery as we’re left wondering why Xavier and Ruby are at odds before skipping back to show us the events that got them there.There was a nice use of both old and new characters with Annie acting as confidante and Sasha giving sage advice and the eventual showdown worked well.And it was nice that there was no easy solution at the end:Even though Ruby realised she’d made a mistake with Casey, there’s still no way back for them.

Entry #2:Connections

This had an intriguing start with the question of who the boy and girl were and who he’d cheated on her with.But as the conversation went on, we seemed no closer to an answer:We know the girl’s at uni which helps a bit but the revelation the boy had cancer didn’t really help as a clue.I’d pretty much decided it was Romeo and Indi and he’d cheated on her with Ruby.The conversations with Sid and Sasha didn’t help much so when the ending came and the girl was revealed as April I was left thinking “And?”Was the boy Dexter?Because Sasha and especially Sid didn’t talk as if it was and if so who was the other girl?Was it Heath, which would fit in with him cheating on her?Or someone else entirely?It feels like I made it to the end and only got half the answers, which is a shame since the actual storyline could have been quite emotional.

Well done to both writers but my vote goes to Entry #1.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 months later...

Quick Fan Fiction Contest #35

There are two entries to vote on. Please read them both and vote for your favourite, and also give a quick summary as to why you chose it.

Good luck to those who entered, and for everyone else - Remember to vote.

Voting closes on 10th February 2013.

Entry 1

fic: one spark starts a fire (Quick Fanfic Contest #35)

summerbayscandals.com.au

blogpost: School Girl Fantasy

It reads like a soap opera. A young, attractive student takes a shine to her music teacher, and we all know he just can’t resist the underage ones. If this student continues to ask for extra “tutoring” after class, then pretty soon he’s not going to be the only one seeing Red.

>><<

“Did you do this?!” Ruby demands, slamming her hands down on the desk in front of Dex.

He jumps, startled by Ruby’s abrupt outburst. He glances at April, sitting across from him, but her expression seems to match his; complete and utter confusion.

“Um, what exactly did I do?” Dex asks tentatively.

“This!” Ruby shrieks, her voice rising an octave as she waves a piece of paper in front of Dex’s face. He snatches it out of her hand, because clearly she’s not going to explain things (that decreases the dramatic effectiveness), and reads whatever it is that has her knickers in a knot.

“Seriously?” Dex questions, looking up at Ruby. “You think that just because I have a laptop and have mastered the skill of typing I would spend my time writing blind gossip?” He huffs a laugh, hands over the page to a curious looking April, before going back to addressing Ruby. “I have better things to do.”

“Well, then if it wasn’t you, then who was it?” Ruby asks.

April’s eyes widen as she glances from the printed out page to Ruby. “Did you really have an affair with Mr Murphy?”

Ruby’s lips thin, her glare turning on April. She holds up a hand and for a split second Dex thinks Ruby might slap her, but then she just turns on her heel and stalks away. She’s gone as quickly as she appeared.

Dex lets out a long, low whistle and raises his eyebrows at April. “Talk about Drama Queen.”

April shrugs and Dex cocks his head curiously. “Maybe this whole Charlie thing is affecting her more than we thought.”

“Notice how she didn’t exactly deny it, though,” Dex points out, and April gives a conceding nod.

>><<

summerbayscandals.com.au

blogpost: Nerds Just Want To Be Loved Too

It seems that although the weather is cooling down, the romance is heating up. Two of our more intellectual students were seen doing more than just studying in the library. Blog Boy has been actively pursuing Eco Girl for quite some time, but she’s been emotionally unavailable. Has she changed her mind? Or does she just want to ensure an A on her Science project? Maybe they should be working on their chemistry.

>><<

Dex stares at the blog post for a long time before he does anything. Sure, he and April have been spending a lot of time together, but they’re friends. That’s what friends do, right? Besides, Xavier was only just asking him whether he thought April might be interested in them getting back together. Dex isn’t about to interfere. So this whole thing doesn’t have to be a big deal. Someone obviously has far too much time on their hands and is taking their right to freedom of speech a little too far, but Dex understands the internet. He knows people will do anything for a rise, so he’s going to ignore it. It’s not like anyone really reads this site.

“Oh my god, Dex! Congratulations!”

“Huh?” Dex is thoroughly confused by the spontaneous hug his sister gives him when she appears beside him at his locker later that day. She lets go, and beams up at him.

“You and April!” Sasha explains excitedly. “I honestly didn’t think you would ever make a move, but I’m so happy for you!”

“Woah, woah, woah. What? No, me and April aren’t ...” he trails off. He and April aren’t anything.

“But I saw on Summer Bay Scandals -?” Sasha wrinkles her brow in confusion.

“You believed something you read on the internet?” Dex teases. “We’ve been through this, Sash. Justin Bieber isn’t actually in the chat room with you.”

“Very funny,” Sasha dead pans, rolling her eyes, but quickly turns serious. “You might want to set the record straight though, because most of the school thinks you’re a couple.”

“How many people read this stupid site?” Dex questions, closing his locker door. He hoists his school bag higher on his shoulder and glances around at the crowded hallway. If he’s being honest, things had been a little strange today. Joshua clapped him on the back when he sat down behind him in English, and Lachlan gave him a not-so-subtle wink and a “didn’t know you had it in you,” as he was walking across the basketball courts during recess. And come to think of it, Dex hasn’t seen April or Xavier all day.

“Are you kidding? It’s the only thing anyone is talking about,” Sasha says, slightly incredulous.

Just then, Dex spots April coming around the corner. She’s got her books hugged tightly to her chest, and keeps her head low as she walks past Dex and Sasha, pointedly ignoring eye contact with them.

Sasha arcs an eyebrow in Dex’s direction. “Trouble in paradise already?”

>><<

summerbayscandals.com.au

blogpost: The Wrong Side of the Sand

Summer Bay is not longer safe. The Bay’s newest bad boy has arrived and is set to cause a stir. He’s already turning heads, having been caught down on the beach rather than in class, and attracting the attention of many young ladies. But beware, girls: There is a reason he and his brothers were kicked out of Mangrove River.

>><<

Ruby hears the wolf whistle, keeps her head down, and continues to walk along the beach. She tries to block them out but they are persistent; the creepy calls of “Show us your bikini!” and “Want to check out my long board?” following her. She rolls her eyes, tries to pick up her pace.

“Shut up.” There’s a lone voice, not as deep as the others, and Ruby finds herself stopping. She turns her head back, watches the youngest of the group staring around at the rest of the River Boys. “Leave her alone.”

“You got a crush, Case?” one of the River Boys teases and the rest of them crack up, a couple hitting Casey playfully in the ribs, shoulders. They lose interest pretty quickly, lifting their surf boards and jogging into the surf.

“Hey, um, Casey?”

Casey pauses on the sand, surf board tucked under his arm, and turns back slowly.

“Yeah?”

“Thanks.”

Casey shrugs. “Whatever.”

Ruby’s the first girl he’s met who hasn’t been either a) scared of him, or b) fawning all over him. It’s nice, easy, but Casey has to stop himself from getting too far ahead.

A little further down the beach, Xavier sits down beside April, watching the exchange. Casey is now turning back, jogging towards the waves, and leaving Ruby looking wistfully after him on the shore.

“I don’t know what everyone sees in him,” April says.

“You prefer the more intellectual kind, don’t you?” Xavier quips, unable to hide the hurt in his voice.

April looks over at him. “I’m not dating Dex, despite what everyone is saying.”

Xavier’s brow furrows together. “You’re not?”

“No, and now I can’t even be in the same room as him without someone saying something, and I can’t talk to him about it because I don’t even know what to say.”

Xavier considers this carefully. He’d told Dex in the strictest of confidence that he was thinking of trying to get back together with April, and had been so angry at the thought of Dex going behind his back to get to her first. But now, it seems, April doesn’t see Dex in that way.

Xavier watches April for a moment, chooses his next words very carefully. “Maybe the only way to get people to stop talking about you and Dex, is for you to be dating someone else.”

>><<

summerbayscandals.com.au

blogpost: Best Friends At War

It seems Eco Girl has made a snap decision. She’s ditched Blog Boy and returned to her previous flame, Mr X. While things didn’t work out the first time for this pair, maybe second time lucky? The two were seen sharing a quiet kiss between the dunes and watching the sun set. Very romantic; I’m jealous. It must be nice to have two guys fighting over your affections.

>><<

“You know,” Dex says, “It’s one thing to be posting about presumed couples and romance, but it’s an entirely different matter to have personal information plastered on the internet for everyone to see.”

“It’s a bit of harmless fun,” Sasha replies. “Kind of like Gossip Girl, right?”

“I’m going to ignore the fact that you watch that show, and point out the fact that Mr Murphy hasn’t been back to class since that first post and people are happy to speculate about the reason Casey Braxton left his previous school. That kind of stuff is none of our business, and yet everyone seems to have an opinion.”

“Don’t you think you’re the one taking this a bit too seriously?” Sasha asks.

Dex shrugs, sighs. “I’m just saying, it’s a dangerous game, is all.”

“They at least look happy,” Sasha says, and Dex nods mutely.

He doesn’t exactly know how he feels about the whole April-Xavier thing.

Sure, he’d known Xavier still liked April and wanted them to get back together, but actually seeing them as a couple – holding hands, sharing sneaky kisses when they thought no one was looking – that is completely different. Dex felt something lodge in his chest when he looked up from his lunch to see April and Xavier walk into the Diner hand-in-hand.

He pushes the feeling aside, as he continues to watch them across the floor at Angelo’s.

He looks up and sees Romeo wander in too, trailed by Ruby who’s intently trying to talk to him.

“I’m sorry about you and Indi,” Ruby says, and Romeo scrubs at his face with his hand. He really doesn’t want to talk about it.

“We haven’t broken up,” he says resolutely. “We’re just ...” He sighs. He doesn’t know what they are anymore. They’re still together, but can’t really have a conversation without it dissolving into some kind of argument. It’s always about money, and Indi trying to cope with uni and the fact that Romeo’s surf school hasn’t had any new bookings in over a month.

“Well, you’re a better person than me,” Ruby concludes. “And hey, if you need the money, then you can always teach me to surf.”

>><<

summerbayscandals.com.au

blogpost: Full Disclosure

It’s not often you hear gossip about yourself, but it seems even yours truly isn’t immune.

There has been some discussion regarding the reliability of my sources, whether I make this all up, or whether I have some sort of ulterior motive for posting all the goings-on in Summer Bay.

The truth? I write what I see.

I’m tired of people keeping secrets and going behind each other’s backs. Secrets and lies have a way of getting out and I’m in no position to discriminate. If you have something to hide, I will find out and tell the world. So, tread lightly, as you never know where I might be lurking. Right, Little Miss Indi-pendent?

View photo: photoshoot1.jpeg

>><<

Indi has tears in her eyes, pushing food around her plate, not really eating anything. Sid looks across at his daughter, refusing to meet his gaze. Their family dinner is unusually quiet, with Dex and Sasha keeping a low profile, nibbling at their vegetables without complaint for once, and Romeo noticeably absent.

There’s a faint tap on the door and all four of the Walker’s look up from their dinner. Romeo is hovering awkwardly just inside the door.

He glances around at all of them, swallows. “Uh, Indi? Can I talk to you?”

Indi bites down on her lip and slowly stands from the table, and follows Romeo out of the room.

Sasha still doesn’t know what to say to Sid and Dex. She exchanges a look with her brother, but he just shrugs, and she doesn’t venture to check her father’s face. He’d been furious, to say the least, so they all fall into silence again, the occasional scrape of a fork on china the only sound. That is, until the voices of Indi and Romeo carry into the room.

“Do you know what it’s like to know that guys all over the world now have that picture of you?”

“Romeo, I –“

“Why did you do it?”

They aren’t eavesdropping on purpose, and Sid promptly stands from the table, clearing away his plate and going through to the lounge room. He picks up a newspaper and starts to read, and effort to block out the conversation occurring on the front porch. But Sasha and Dex stay sitting there, neither one of them saying anything as they hear Indi’s wavering voice.

“I – We needed the money. And you hated your job, and the Diner wasn’t giving me any shifts and I just figured that if I did one or two sessions, then we’d have enough to move out. To get a place of our own, pay off our debts.”

“Don’t put this back on me,” Romeo snaps, and Sasha hears the gasp of Indi as she tries to reign in her tears again. “Why didn’t you tell me?”

There’s a pause, then, “I was ashamed.”

“Not too ashamed to take your clothes off in front of some sleazy photographer.”

“Romeo, I’m so-“

“Don’t. Don’t tell me that you’re sorry.”

Sasha hears the pitter-patter of footsteps, and the creak of their front door as Indi slips back into the house. She doesn’t come back into the lounge room, but Sasha sees her wipe at her cheeks with the back of her hands before disappearing into her bedroom.

>><<

summerbayscandals.com.au

blogpost: Business As Usual

Under the cover of darkness, Mangrove River and Red aren’t the only ones trying to keep their recent exploits on the ‘down low’.

• Two certain ex-lovebirds huddled closely between the Ancient History and Art sections of the library. Playing the field?
  • A Montague taking his surfing business to the next level. Red seen gaining some hands-on coaching.
  • Mr X’s grades going up in more ways than one. Can anyone say preferential treatment?
  • What do you get when you cross a blonde beauty with a rock star? A recipe for disaster.

>><<

Everything seems to blow up all at once.

“You told me you didn’t like Dex!” Xavier snaps, and April has to bite down on her lip. She’s not going to cry over a vicious rumour.

“I don’t!”

“Then why does Scandals say that you two were seen together?”

“Because we were studying. Something you obviously don’t have to do,” she bites back.

“What’s that supposed to mean?”

“Your mother is the principal!” April exclaims angrily, “Of course you don’t have to work as hard as the rest of us.”

“Are you accusing me of cheating?”

“Your words not mine,” she replies, crossing her arms over her chest, glaring at Xavier who huffs indignantly and storms off.

He finds Dex at the beach, and can’t control the sudden surge of anger that comes over him. Before he can reign himself in, he’s stalking up to Dex, fingers curled into a fist, and Dex doesn’t even get a chance to say anything before Xavier is thumping him in the face.

Dex falls to the sand, clutching at his nose, blinking as he pulls his hand away to see the constant flow of blood seeping through his fingers. There’s a flurry of movement around him, but Dex is oblivious, concentrating just trying to stem the bleeding and not pass out at the same time.

Romeo swoops in guns blazing, lunging at Xavier, and hauling him away from Dex by the scruff of his shirt.

“What the hell?!” he demands.

Xavier is still breathing heavily, his left hand, cradling the bruised knuckles of his right.

“He-“ pant “-deserved-“ pant “-it.”

“I thought you were friends?” Romeo asks, he glances back at Dex, making sure he’s okay. Ruby has appeared too, and she’s got a hand around Dex’s shoulder, helping him get back on his feet.

Xavier scoffs. “Friends don’t hook up with other friends girlfriends!”

“I dibbit hoog-ub wid her,” Dex interrupts. He’s got a tissue plugged to the end of his nose, head tilted back slightly as he stumbles a little on the stand.

Xavier rolls his eyes before he turns on Romeo. “You aren’t really one to talk about the importance of friendship.”

>><<

“You need to stay away from my husband,” Indi grits out. She’s holding onto the glass so tight she’s almost worried it might break.

“I’m sorry, I didn’t realise it was a crime to be supportive of a friend and his business,” Ruby retorts. “Besides, are you sure you can still call him your ‘husband’ after what you did?”

Indi gapes, fuming, and she feels Liam come up behind her, rest a hand on her shoulder. She tries not to prickle under his touch.

“Ruby, I think you need to leave,” Liam says. Ruby’s eyes dart between the two of them, she nods. “I see how it is.”

They watch her leave, and Liam can still see the tense muscles in Indi’s neck, the way her hand is clamped on the glass like she’s scared she’ll drop it. Slowly, she loosens her fingers, lets her head drop.

“Everyone thinks we’re a couple,” Indi says dejectedly. Liam hums non-committally.

He takes the glass from her hand, places it back on a shelf, tosses the towel to the side and sighs.

“There’s not a lot we can do. While this ridiculous blog is calling the shots, we are pretty much powerless against it,” Liam replies.

“So you’re happy to sit back and let the whole town hate us?”

>><<

Sasha sees him out of the corner of her eye, sitting by himself on the edge of the pier. She debates just pretending she didn’t see him, but she’d be lying if she said she wasn’t a little bit intrigued.

Cautiously, she approaches, watching the slump in his shoulders, the strain in his neck as he hangs his head. Casey’s got his feet dangling off the edge of the boardwalk and Sasha clears her throat, causing him to look around.

“Yes?” Casey enquires, and the only thing that Sasha didn’t consider, was that she didn’t figure out what she was going to say when she got to this point.

“Um, I was ... just –“

“Seeing whether the rumours hold any truth?” Casey prods, and Sasha doesn’t want to nod. She smiles instead.

He shakes his head, almost sadly, to himself. “You’d think that moving towns would be enough to escape the whispers. But apparently, these sorts of things follow you around.”

“I’m sorry,” Sasha offers, and it seems woefully inadequate for everything that has been going on over the past couple of weeks. “I wish there was something I could do.”

Casey scoots over a little, allowing room for Sasha to perch beside him. He sighs, “The stupid part is that for the first time, I actually haven’t done anything. Ruby and I were only hanging out.” He glances over at Sasha, a wry smile on his face. “Careful, someone might see us and think we’re a couple.”

Something shifts, clicks into place in Sasha’ mind, and she’s scuttling to her feet.

“Did I scare you off already?” Casey asks as he watches Sasha stand.

“What? No. There’s just ... I have something I need to do.” She just hopes she can get there in time.

>><<

The gentle tapping of the keys under her fingers is relaxing, in a way. It’s familiar, easy, and she feels a smile creep over her face as she finishes off the post. It’ll be her last one; she’s done what she set out to achieve. I bit of notoriety, attention, and there was a certain entertainment value in the drama that had unfolded.

It was kind of a joke at first; a way to vent when Liam said he couldn’t keep seeing her, and she was so hurt that she didn’t really care the kind of trouble she got him in. The rest of it kind of fell into Ruby’s lap. Seeing Dex shoot April glances over a table in the Diner – anyone could have worked out that he liked her – and then Casey turning up in town, and Ruby knew she needed to be noticed. And please, anyone can use Google Images.

She heard what people said about her – The Girl With the Mum Who Got Shot – but for the first time since Charlie’s death she actually felt in control. Like her life wasn’t just spiralling out of control; she was the one determining how people felt, what they should be feeling towards her, and it was liberating.

Ruby re-reads her post for a final time, can hear the rapid approach of footsteps pounding down the corridor, and she knew it was risky doing this at school – but that was half the appeal; the thrill of possibly getting caught.

The door flies open behind her, and Ruby doesn’t turn around at first. “I wondered how long it would take.”

“How could you do it? Do you realise the kind of trouble you’ve caused.” It’s Sasha.

She turns around slowly and Ruby looks up, meets Sasha’s eye.

“Haven’t you heard? I’ve got nothing left to lose, and a bad reputation is better than no reputation at all.”

>><<

summerbayscandals.com.au

blogpost: Walking Amongst the Flames

In a small town like this, gossip spreads like wildfire. All it takes is a spark.

We must know what goes on, but we’re all scared of our own secrets getting out, that we are willing to excuse other people’s in the process. An ‘ignore it and it will go away’ mentality.

So here is my final little secret for you:

Mangrove River has found himself a new play toy in the form of a Doctor’s Daughter; maybe a distraction from her family’s impending self-implosion. And the cause? Our favourite Montague has given his missus a Red light. Fortunately, she isn’t going to be around for the fallout.

Entry 2

The Misty Depths of Love

“Careful bud don’t go too far ahead eh” Brax laughs as he watches a proud little Rocco zoom away on his little bicycle down the long and winding dark filled never ending road, Where clouds of drifting mist and lingering fog, seem to be waiting, wanting oh so much to sallow the small boy whole into its mysterious murky depths.

Smiling back at Ruby Brax catches the slight scared look in her otherwise bright blue eyes.

“What’s up with ya Rubes?” Brax asks as the depending floating mist starts to consume their path ahead.

“What are we doing here Brax?” Ruby asks while watching the ghostly swirls of the grey mist take its icy grip, over the now quiet and deserted, empty road. Even the happy cries of joy from Rocco enjoying himself seem to have become lost amongst the ghostly wet blanket of mist.

“What do you mean eh? I’m helping my little nephew out, teaching him how to ride his bike.”

“Couldn’t we have gone to the beach, wouldn’t that of been better? Ruby asks.

Shrugging his shoulders Brax stares off into the thickness of the fog, It is here he becomes aware of some light sounding mutterings Were these the thoughts of his troubled mind being utter to form words he could fully understand? Or were these muttering of some kind of phantom come here to way claim to his very soul?

Ruby is right you know, beaches are far better fun places to learn to ride a bike. Plus it’s softer for Rocco if he happens to take a tumble. It’s better to land in some soft sand than on the hard tarmac of a quiet and lonely forgotten road. Where there is nobody to hear the cries of despair of an injured child. Where is Rocco by the way, do you know eh? Do you even care Brax my good old friend.

Brax quickly blocks out the mysterious and fearful words from its unknown source to turn to answer Ruby with a perfetic sounding…………

“I don’t know why we didn’t go to the beach.”

But was that really true? Deep down Brax knew it wasn’t. He knew the truth even though it was beyond painful to admit.

The reason why they hadn’t taken Rocco to the beach was simple given that his choice of destination had been the key factor here. He wasn’t here to teach bike riding lessons, he was here to see her no not Ruby, but her the one person who had been taken so cruelly away from him. The one he truly still loves. The one who’s death he quietly blames himself for and has shed a few tears over on the down low when no one is round to see him drop his guard. If it wasn’t for him she would have most likely never ended up getting shot.

“Brax I want to leave I can’t see Rocco anymore through all this mist.”

Well of course you can’t Ruby Rocco isn’t really here. Brax thinks to himself as he hears Ruby’s words of worried concern off somewhere to the side of him.

The creeping swirls of greyness slowly gather round him, Brax can no longer see Ruby, nor does he really care that he can no longer see her; because lets face it Ruby and Rocco have never actually been here. Given the fact that Rocco had died and Ruby now is either locked away in jail or even maybe the nut house, after what had happened with the cutting of some car brakes and Dexter Walker. They are only tools of his mind a way of allowing it to see her one last time.

Staring off into the ghostly cloud ahead of him he can start to make out her beautiful and breathtaking form of her slim body. But what really does have him stunned beyond belief is her smiling face, and feeling just a tiny abit excited Brax stands waiting for her to glide oh so dreamily over to him.

The long and captivating sight of her white ghostly grown causes Brax to take in a long intake of breath,

“Oh Charlie you look as beautiful as the first day I laid eyes on you.”

Charlie stops seeming to float before him.

“Charlie is it really you have I managed to find you again?”

Smiling Charlie softly caresses his cheek, surprising enough her touch feels warm and comforting.

“I’m here now Brax you can let go now, all you have to do is come with me and…….”

Come with you what do you mean

Charlie turns and with a arm which to Brax’s eyes doesn’t have any texture to it at all, but only just about seems visual sweeps across the surrounding mist towards the gaping murky path of no return.

Brax its ok really it really is there’s no pain while crossing over its peaceful it

Brax shakes his head having just realised that Charlie wasn’t coming back. But was instead here to collect him from the land of the living.

“I can’t Charlie I…..”

“Its time now Brax its ok don’t worry.”

“Heath and Casey I have to stay for them I want to come with you I really do but……

Charlie smiles causing Brax’s love and loss for her to race back to the surface.

“Brax its time, take time out for your own happiness come be with me now you lost me once please be with me now.”

Brax looks to Charlie in this moment wanting nothing else but to be with her. The aching hurt he had for having lost her, was now being replaced with such a aching need to be with her forever was just too much to bear anymore. Here was his chance their chance of being together again was he about to take the plunge? Or was he about to sacrifice everything for his two brothers?

“Charlie I miss you I really do I….”

“Shhh take my hand and then I will help you pass beyond.”

Brax looks down to her soft looking offered hand.

“No Charlie I love you yes, and I always will, but I can’t leave my brothers behind I can’t I…..”

“Are you sure?”

Tears start to form in his eyes as he glances back to a gaping bright while light, which as somehow broken its way through the thickness of the mist.

“Make your choice Brax are you staying or going back? Charlie asks while giving him a look of heartbreak.

“No I want to stay with you of course I do I……”

“Are you sure are you really sure?”

“Yeah naaaaa I don’t know yes I’m staying.”

“Then take my hand and it will be done, there will be no going back then.”

Brax slowly starts to reach his hand out to Charlie their fingers are a matter of inches away from interlocking………

He pulls back.

“Brax?”

Reaching out and taking a surprising firm hold of her Brax holds Charlie close. Her long brown hair does the job of soaking in his tears as Brax openly cries.

After a somewhat long period of time Brax’s tears start to ease, allowing him to be brave enough to peer deep into Charlie’s eyes.

“I’m sorry”

Charlie watches as Brax loosens his hold on her white grown, letting it flutter down into the sea of the greyness below.

“BRAX COME BACK I…….LOVE YOU.”

Without turning Brax lets the whiteness of the bright light wash over him.

“Heath his waking up quick get Sid.” Casey says jumping up from the chair he had been sitting on.

“Brax its Dr Walker you have been in a coma, here let me get you sorted out there. I can tell you it was touch and go there for a second.”

“We thought we might of lost you.”

Brax looks up to Heath.

“Well someone has to look out for you and Case, stop you doing anything stupid.”

Heath and Casey both seem to smirk at this.

“What like you, you mean wrapping your car round that tree.” Casey says smirking.

“Hey I………….”

“So you been having any nice dreams while you were off in dreamland?” Heath asks.

“Oh a few its just a shame I have to wake up and see your ugly mugs again.”

Casey and Heath laugh as does Brax, but underneath his laughter is the longing to be one day reunited with his beloved Charlie.

• 2 weeks later...

Entry #1:One Sparks Lights a Fire

I thought this was an intriguing idea and a good format.However, as it went on, I found it hard to get a grip on, it felt like we were getting snapshots of parts of lots of stories and we didn’t seem to spend enough time with any of them to really know what was going on.I guess the focus was meant to be on the mysterious blogger but I didn’t realise that we were supposed to be guessing their identity and motives rather than it simply being a way of telling the story.So the ending didn’t really feel like the revelation it was probably meant to be.That said, the situations involved were intriguing and well crafted and it made for a good read.

Entry #2:The Misty Depths of Love

I found the opening of this, shifting from the apparent normality to the growing realisation that all was not as it seemed, nicely unsettling in the way the viewer is wrongfooted.Even though Charlie’s appearance wasn’t that much of a surprise, I think it was a good idea.However, I did find her invitation for Brax to come with her a bit too on the nose and the story perhaps suffered here from maintaining the mystery about what was really happening.But it was a highly original idea.

Both writers should be commended for putting their efforts out there but I’m casting my vote for Entry #2.

1: I enjoyed reading it but at one point, I had to go back to the beginning because I kept getting confused as to where the story was going. However once I got the story, I really enjoyed it. It was definitely interesting but I have to admit the constant confusion was a bit annoying.

2: I liked the premise of the story, the story was good but it was lacking in some areas as it did sort of become predictable but it was well written and kept me interested which is a good thing :)

My vote is for entry 2. :) but well done to both.

Archived